PDA

View Full Version : Buying A New Mic, What To Get?

DamonNash
08-20-2008, 10:47 PM
My old microphone broke today, it was a Shure PG58 and was actually meant for live performances over studio recording.
We only bought it cause it was on sale for like 30 bucks.
Anyways, i need something thats gonna block the pops from my B's and P's, as well as not crack if i bust some ODB sing-songy crazy rap shit, ya know
As well as just plain sounding clear.

I have 400-500 bucks to spend, so post suggestions pretty pleasey.
Also, i dont have one of those phantom power things, so keep that in mind, nor do i have a stand, so i guess link me up with those too.

note: sorry if this was in the wrong section, just didnt really see any real production equipment section in the forums

singodsuperior
08-21-2008, 02:07 AM
got to www.musiciansfriend.com...you should be straight with that amount if money..Do you have an interface or a preamp or something?

singodsuperior
08-21-2008, 02:13 AM
you should get an AKG MIC IF YOU CAN

DamonNash
08-21-2008, 02:30 AM
nah i dont have an interface or a preamp

singodsuperior
08-21-2008, 02:54 AM
You should get an interface because the bulit in soundcards that come with computers are not made for recording.If you get an interface you don't need a preamp really.But if you don't care about the quality that much then just get a preamp, i'd prefer a double pop filter it'll help out better with the b's and plosives. (if you can get a metal one) mic stand with a boomer and you shopuld be straight.

DamonNash
08-21-2008, 02:44 PM
my soundcard is a Soundblaster X-Fi Fatality or something
its supposed to be top of the line, but would that work as a preamp?

singodsuperior
08-21-2008, 02:52 PM
You could still get a preamp if you want but you're cool with just the soundcard