PDA

View Full Version : Mic Question

SKAMPOE
09-21-2008, 10:53 PM
I Dont Know Where A Thread Like This Goes So Sorry If I Made It In The Wrong Spot!

But

Its Time For A Nu Mic!

Can Sum One Reffer Me To A Site

And Can Some One Gimme Sum Pointers On Whut Am I Looking For In A Mic?

Plus We Aint Tryna Spend No More Than A Bill Foe It So It Has To Be Affordable Lol!!

Any Help Would Be Greatly Appreciated!

INF
09-22-2008, 09:21 AM
Its not the Mic its the EQ. All you guys need to do is fuck with some compression. Go half on a lil mixer even. Lil 4 channel mixer is cheap. It'll help you add a richness to your tone and shit and not make it sound like a 40 radioshack mic as ya'll say.

Fuck with compression.

if ya'll are doing collab tracks and notice it dont match up against ur guest vocals then just cut accapellas and find somebody to clean them.

I'm writing this cuz I know its frustrating to have ur shit sound like u spit it over the phone.

This is also further proof that I aint got beef with nobody. I say the truth and mf's be getting mad sometimes but look how I come through right here. Wasnt nobody else gonna tell you. I even got some links to videos that help with eQing a MIC but I aint fixin to go that far for ya.

KLIION JENSEN
09-22-2008, 09:47 AM
last stuff i recorded, i used a mic that you get with Playstation 2 SingStarr games, plugged it into a simple dj mixer with a mic line, and from there straight into my laptop...plus with that you still can put ya turnatables through it...

but yeah, Infinity is right, alot of it is down to the EQing, Compression and the mixdown.....but with the EQing & Compression, just don't over do it......

Sinapse
09-22-2008, 10:11 AM
Hundred bucks is a low budget man...you can't really get even a decent mic for that money, and this thing is you need more than just the mic if you buy a condenser mic (typical studio recording microphones), you need the interface and/or a preamp, so I would hold off on that til you can save more like 500$ and then for that price range you can get a real legit set up...for now I would just try to get the best plug in mic that you can find and either learn how to mix those vox so they sound more professional, or find someone that can...the thing is no one can tell you "how to mix", each joint is diff and it takes experience...i know it took me most of a year to get to the point where I am now with engineering my tracks, and i still think lotta my joints' mixes sound amateur type. Bottom line is this shit ain't easy, mixing is like a whole separate deal than the MCing part...and if you can't put the time in to learn it by trial and error the hard way ya'll gotta find someone to produce ya joints for you. PEACE

SKAMPOE
09-22-2008, 11:44 AM
good lookin out on all the info dats peace!

KLIION JENSEN
09-22-2008, 11:52 AM
Hundred bucks is a low budget man...you can't really get even a decent mic for that money, and this thing is you need more than just the mic if you buy a condenser mic (typical studio recording microphones)

so dont buy a condenser mic, simple, its for a bedroom studio, not the new room at Sony

SKAMPOE
09-22-2008, 11:54 AM
is there like an online store i can peep some mics and recordin equipment?

INF
09-22-2008, 12:25 PM
shop around in ur town. sam ash , shit like that. When you go up in there even if they aint got what you need they can explain it better to you in person than here.

SKAMPOE
09-22-2008, 12:29 PM
aight aight good looks!

Sinapse
09-22-2008, 12:56 PM
so dont buy a condenser mic, simple, its for a bedroom studio, not the new room at Sony

You can use a studio condenser in a bedroom studio...condenser mics have a huge price range, one's used in the "new room at Sony" are upwards of 2 grand per mic...an ideal bedroom studio would be an affordable yet good condenser like an AKG or one of the RODE models in the 300$ range, and a good interface like an M-box...also if you want a mic that you can perform with you could get a Shure SM58..you can also get good home recordings out of that, a cat i knew had a Shure SM58 and a P-Solo preamp with a decent mixer, shit was official sounding with good mixes. Bottom line is if you buy a mic that plugs into ya comp you aren't going to get really detailed recordings, but if you got a 100$ budget you pretty much gotta do that. But don't think you can't use a studio condenser mic at home...

Good sites besides looking for shit on ebay are www.guitarcenter.com, www.zzsounds.com and www.samash.com

PEACE

SKAMPOE
09-22-2008, 12:59 PM
good lookin out fam much appreciated!

KLIION JENSEN
09-22-2008, 05:23 PM
You can use a studio condenser in a bedroom studio...condenser mics have a huge price range, one's used in the "new room at Sony" are upwards of 2 grand per mic...an ideal bedroom studio would be an affordable yet good condenser like an AKG or one of the RODE models in the 300$ range, and a good interface like an M-box...also if you want a mic that you can perform with you could get a Shure SM58..you can also get good home recordings out of that, a cat i knew had a Shure SM58 and a P-Solo preamp with a decent mixer, shit was official sounding with good mixes. Bottom line is if you buy a mic that plugs into ya comp you aren't going to get really detailed recordings, but if you got a 100$ budget you pretty much gotta do that. But don't think you can't use a studio condenser mic at home...

Good sites besides looking for shit on ebay are www.guitarcenter.com, www.zzsounds.com and www.samash.com

PEACE

i understand what you're saying, but if you're on a budget, that $300-$500 is gonna be better spent on promotion or pressing or something else, what i'm saying is, a standard dj mixer with a mic input, that will plug into ya comp is good enough, theres also alot of programs for ya comp that has all the compressors & stuff on there, i'm not knocking anything you're saying, i'm just saying, stick within your budget for now, make your product to the best of your ability with the tools you have, sell that product & make some money off it, and with that money, put 1/2 of it into pressing & promo for your your next project & the other 1/2 goes on equipment....put it like this, i know a dude that spent £50 on a spit guard/popper stopper, and £100 on a mic, thats $300 roughly, when he could've just used a wire coathanger & some pantyhose for the spit guard & got a cheaper mic, which would've saved him money to put into his project elsewhere....

also, i know a guy that got a big ass cardoard box, lined it with bath sponges that he had cut up, and place it around the mic which basically stopped background noise, his little mixer boosted the sound going into his computer and he had program on top of program to clean up the sound, but he really had to sit for weeks working out his own settings, but he got a wicked sound out of it

so yeah Skamp, if you're on a budget, it means you're gonna have to put in more work to get the sound right, but hey, thats part of the fun of making music...

SKAMPOE
09-22-2008, 08:24 PM
Yes It Is My Friend, I Cee It Like An Art, From Writing To Settin Up The Mic And Shit Den The Mixing It Shit

Werdlife To Me Its Like A Religious Experience!!!!!!

360beatz
09-22-2008, 08:37 PM
if you need a mixing guide check out david gibson The Art Of Mixing

this is the link to that book in pdf format
http://rapidshare.com/files/81970556/The_Art_of_Mixing.pdf

check it out on amazon its the same book but in pdf format
http://www.amazon.com/Art-Mixing-Recording-Engineering-Production/dp/1931140456/ref=pd_bbs_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1222133751&sr=8-1

SKAMPOE
09-22-2008, 08:48 PM
Good Stuff Man Thanx, Sum One Rep Him On My Behalf Please!

INF
09-22-2008, 08:56 PM
Props Schizo!

I'll take that and give ya tha rep.

360beatz
09-22-2008, 09:06 PM
hit up..

http://www.sweetwater.com/

request their catalog "Pro Gear" it's free might take 4 weeks but they send you a new one every 6 months, it's like having the entire website at your finger tips it has everything...

LORD NOSE
09-22-2008, 09:08 PM
i use an audio technica condenser mic - will run you like 4 and change though

for 100 bills, get you a shure mic - the sm 58 is a popular live mic, ask around for one thats good for recording vocals - or just get the sm 58 i bought mines for 100 dollars flat more than 12 years ago

SM - 58

http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/8692/sm58d3892a0aa773af6d03cuv2.jpg

then get you the antares mic modeler - this software plug in will turn your regular mic into a condenser mic of many choices

(CLICK TO ENLARGE)

http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/5218/micmodelerbo3.png

SKAMPOE
09-22-2008, 09:24 PM
yea ern told me tha same thing, thanx ya'll! we gone be copin that soon so stay tuned for the crispier vocabz ahahahahah werd!

$inista
09-22-2008, 09:28 PM
yo fuck all that shit if you anit building a studio not saying niggaz is wrong but if you want to get the job done for a bill get a USB MIC you won't need to get an audio interface like you would with a condenser mic, check this shit out my dude rocks with this here & sounds good, but don't take my word for it look it up for reviews you should be able to get one any where google it
Blue Snowball USB Microphone
http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue22/images/010_blue_microphone.jpg
http://www.tycromedia.com/images/Blue%20Microphones%20Snowball%20Mic.jpghttp://www.synthtopia.com/news/05_01/images/Blue_Snowball.jpg
you can look up other usb mic's only know about this one but there are others, they works with any program, my peeps use Qbase, nuendo & protools wich all have built in EQ's, compressors & other tools/utilities used for mixing however it cost paper but theres always bootleg

what program do you use now?

thats a good look for that mixing link def gonna check that out in depth

what sunny is talking bout sounds bugged out thats new to me gotta check that out doe

SKAMPOE
09-22-2008, 09:38 PM
i use mixcraft 3

any one heard of this, its actually a demo i d loaded lol, all dem other shits are to expensive!

SKAMPOE
09-22-2008, 09:40 PM
yo fuck all that shit if you anit building a studio not saying niggaz is wrong but if you want to get the job done for a bill get a USB MIC you won't need to get an audio interface like you would with a condenser mic, check this shit out my dude rocks with this here & sounds good, but don't take my word for it look it up for reviews you should be able to get one any where google it
Blue Snowball USB Microphone
http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue22/images/010_blue_microphone.jpg
http://www.tycromedia.com/images/Blue%20Microphones%20Snowball%20Mic.jpghttp://www.synthtopia.com/news/05_01/images/Blue_Snowball.jpg
you can look up other usb mic's only know about this one but there are others, they works with any program, my peeps use Qbase, nuendo & protools wich all have built in EQ's, compressors & other tools/utilities used for mixing however it cost paper but theres always bootleg

what program do you use now?

thats a good look for that mixing link def gonna check that out in depth

what sunny is talking bout sounds bugged out thats new to me gotta check that out doe
dat snoball shit looks kinda iffy imo im most def gonna look into it tho!

SKAMPOE
09-22-2008, 09:44 PM
i think we have a winner

http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/regular/0/9/3/315093.jpg (javascript:%20popup_multi_image('/document?cpd=0OEY&doc_id=99371&base_pid=279015&index=0',%20700,%20693);)
The world's first professional USB mic offers plug and play, accurate, versatile input for your computer.

The Blue Snowball is an easy-to-use USB condenser microphone that captures unheard-of detail whether you're recording a band in a professional studio or an acoustic guitar in your living room. The Snowball mic is ideal for podcasting as well. Plug-and-play your Snowball microphone with your PC or Mac with no added software. The Snowball mic's 3-pattern switch allows you to choose from cardioid, cardioid with -10dB pad, and omnidirectional. The dual-capsule design allows the Blue Snowball to handle anything you can throw at it, from soft vocals to loud garage bands. (No refrigeration necessary!)
Blue Snowball USB Microphone Specifications:

Macintosh: Mac OS X; USB 1.0 or 2.0; 64MB RAM (minimum)
Windows: XP Home Edition or XP Professional; USB 1.0 or 2.0;
64MB RAM (minimum)
Acoustical Operating Principal:ˇPosition 1-3: Pressure gradient
Polar Pattern:ˇPosition 1-2: Cardioid; Position 3: Omnidirectional
Frequency Response:ˇPosition 1-3: 40Hz-18kHz
Does NOT require phantom power Blue Snowball USB Microphone Features:

Condenser mic with USB connectivity
Unique 3-pattern switch (cardioid, cardioid with -10dB pad, and omni)
Dual-capsule design Chill with the Snowball. Order now!

im gon talk to the parter in rhyme lol

LORD NOSE
09-22-2008, 10:00 PM
i think we have a winner

http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/regular/0/9/3/315093.jpg (http://javascript%3Cb%3E%3C/b%3E:%20popup_multi_image%28%27/document?cpd=0OEY&doc_id=99371&base_pid=279015&index=0%27,%20700,%20693%29;)
The world's first professional USB mic offers plug and play, accurate, versatile input for your computer.

The Blue Snowball is an easy-to-use USB condenser microphone that captures unheard-of detail whether you're recording a band in a professional studio or an acoustic guitar in your living room. The Snowball mic is ideal for podcasting as well. Plug-and-play your Snowball microphone with your PC or Mac with no added software. The Snowball mic's 3-pattern switch allows you to choose from cardioid, cardioid with -10dB pad, and omnidirectional. The dual-capsule design allows the Blue Snowball to handle anything you can throw at it, from soft vocals to loud garage bands. (No refrigeration necessary!)
Blue Snowball USB Microphone Specifications:
Macintosh: Mac OS X; USB 1.0 or 2.0; 64MB RAM (minimum)
Windows: XP Home Edition or XP Professional; USB 1.0 or 2.0;
64MB RAM (minimum)
Acoustical Operating Principal:ˇPosition 1-3: Pressure gradient
Polar Pattern:ˇPosition 1-2: Cardioid; Position 3: Omnidirectional
Frequency Response:ˇPosition 1-3: 40Hz-18kHz
Does NOT require phantom powerBlue Snowball USB Microphone Features:
Condenser mic with USB connectivity
Unique 3-pattern switch (cardioid, cardioid with -10dB pad, and omni)
Dual-capsule designChill with the Snowball. Order now!

im gon talk to the parter in rhyme lol

thats crazy

Sinapse
09-22-2008, 10:05 PM
Word up..thats some new shit to me, I never knew there was a USB mic that had a professional sound...I'll def be curious to see how it turns out but the description sounds good.

SKAMPOE
09-22-2008, 10:22 PM
from whut i read shit sounds sweet! its gettin ordered by the weekend, hopefully next week we'll put sumthing nu out for ya to chek tha soud on it!

plus im reading that shit sunny posted on mixing, im pumped, cant wait to try all this shit im learning blak!

$inista
09-22-2008, 10:28 PM
my man got it, its dope once you get it popping, it could be tricky if you never conected a mic to an app b4 but I got it buzzing 4 my dude, 4 a $bean you cant go wrong it sound better than mine, i got AKG perception 100 it anit the best but its good & get the job done ready for and upgrade & i'm a big fan of Blue mics doe AKG is good my next mic gonna be a Blue mic

yo skamp holla if you need help with the set up

SKAMPOE
09-23-2008, 01:20 AM
my man got it, its dope once you get it popping, it could be tricky if you never conected a mic to an app b4 but I got it buzzing 4 my dude, 4 a $bean you cant go wrong it sound better than mine, i got AKG perception 100 it anit the best but its good & get the job done ready for and upgrade & i'm a big fan of Blue mics doe AKG is good my next mic gonna be a Blue mic

yo skamp holla if you need help with the set up
whats an ''app''!? all i have is a lap top and a pc!

it says the mic is usb and all i gotta do is plug it in and vualaah!

my bad if my questions seem ridiculous but im still learning!

Memory Man
09-23-2008, 02:15 AM
but with the EQing & Compression, just don't over do it......

i disagree. over-compressing vocals adds a lot of presence and warmth.

$inista
09-23-2008, 03:01 AM
whats an ''app''!? all i have is a lap top and a pc!

it says the mic is usb and all i gotta do is plug it in and vualaah!

my bad if my questions seem ridiculous but im still learning!

ahhh haha FLMAO my bad, app is just short for application aka software or program.. yes you are corect it should work like vualaah!
but this is the real world & it depends how are you recording yo vocals
and the app your using

i guess i have nerd potental, most audio or recording apps you need to configure the software to work with the mic, more than likely it's device setup in the program

you see with an audio interface it controls wut goes in & wut comes out the program, with the snow ball its a bit different cause it only controls wut goes in (recording) so for wut comes out (sound) you need to point to your sound card, it will be an option

wut program do you use to record yo vocals?

SKAMPOE
09-23-2008, 03:13 AM
mix craft 3
trial version

and all this time i been doin it with no sound card! lol

$inista
09-23-2008, 03:52 AM
mix craft 3
trial version

and all this time i been doin it with no sound card! lol

you have to have a sound card otherwards you wont be able to hear shit, its part of a all pc's/laptop's/mac's nahmeen
never used that one gotta check it out I can see if i can post a link for cracked nuendo its just like Qbase made bt the same peeps its official i used it i got to get it from my nigga doe

SKAMPOE
09-29-2008, 10:28 PM
its official,
we got that snow ball for ya winter fresh niggaz aaahaha but yea we got the ''Blue Snowball usb mic, we tested it right quick and yoooo lemme oh wait, i should post a pic,

http://i38.tinypic.com/2yo1zeu.jpg

http://i36.tinypic.com/2dk0cyd.jpg

yeeeaaaaa maaan. hunnit foety bonez kid with a 2 year warranty!

any way

we tested the shit n it sounds lovely yo waaay better than the other mic we use,

i just wanna thank nameen all the godz that guided me in the right direction evey one that droped a jewel in this thread, sinista-winterz, all of yall man nameen a big up peace and shout out to ya ma nigga, peace

JIGSAW45
09-29-2008, 10:54 PM
word the fuk up my dude...its time now

INF
09-29-2008, 10:58 PM
nice. lookin forward to the new Joint.

SKAMPOE
09-29-2008, 11:34 PM
Chea

SKAMPOE
09-30-2008, 02:43 PM
if you need a mixing guide check out david gibson The Art Of Mixing

this is the link to that book in pdf format
http://rapidshare.com/files/81970556/The_Art_of_Mixing.pdf

check it out on amazon its the same book but in pdf format
http://www.amazon.com/Art-Mixing-Recording-Engineering-Production/dp/1931140456/ref=pd_bbs_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1222133751&sr=8-1
YO I READ THIS SHIT AND EMPLOYED THE TEKNIQUES I GOT FROM THIS AND YOOOOO THIS SHIT IS MAD HELPFUL

SUM ONE REP THIS MAN

AND DOWNLOAD THAT SHIT CUZ ITS A JEWEL SUNZ!

GOOD LOOKIN OUT SCHIZO

SKAMPOE
12-04-2008, 11:58 AM
Bump!!! Alot Of Valubla Jewels Here, Thanx Ya'll....