PDA

View Full Version : any tips?

Socrates
10-06-2008, 09:07 PM
sorry if this isnt the right section but I was wonderin if anyone could give me any tips for rhyming. ive made a few songs back when i was in like 9th grade but it was nuttin special. then i quit with all that but I wanna start again and actually make some good shit. I know I'm not just gonna come out and be great at it but I was wondering what tips yall got for someone that wants to become an mc.

Tracks
10-06-2008, 09:11 PM
roll up an L, and let your mind flow on to the paper

Sinapse
10-06-2008, 09:38 PM
If you wanna get good at writing you have know what good writing is...study the best writers, the illest lyricists - like Canibus, Killah Priest, GZA/Deck, Chino, etc...what makes them ill, what syllable patterns, how do they set up wordplay..all that, but most important work on your delivery and your flow, you want to have a commanding mic presence and you want to be musically in sync with the beat, meaning your timing and and also your vocal tone...its a lot man, really a lot...but you could also just say fuck all that and just do whatever, rhyme all over the place on or off beat and just tell cats its underground and that they can't understand the vision involved.

White_Mouse
10-06-2008, 10:10 PM
took me FOREVER to get a delivery down, i wrote rhymes for a long time, and i still do, i would experiment with diff rhyme patterns, read poetry and listen to great lyricists from EVERY genre, Bob Dylan, T Bone Burnett, lots of The Grateful dead, lol whoever you feel that you can relate to in their lyrics, then develop your delivery, this is something that took me a while and i'm still working to improve on. The best advice is that even when you feel like you reach a high point never let off or relax always be reaching for the next level, if you want to hear the type of style i have check out my latest project
you don't need to dl, just check the soundclick mp3's and leave some feed
http://www.wutang-corp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64169

Socrates
10-06-2008, 10:17 PM
thanks for the tips. keep em comin.

THE MASON
10-06-2008, 10:46 PM
theres always room to keep buildin, never think that one style of rhyming suites you best always try new ones eventually you can go back be like aight when i flowed like this it was on point but like this not so much. plus you gotta try a stay with the beat, that was my problem, id try and jam it all in one breathe, breathe control is, imo, one of the most important things

Socrates
10-17-2008, 10:44 AM
anyone ever get writer's block? if so how do u fix it?

KLIION JENSEN
10-17-2008, 11:23 AM
anyone ever get writer's block? if so how do u fix it?

you dont, you have to let it deal with itself........

Canibus, Killah Priest, GZA/Deck, Chino - yeah these are all good lyricists, but on the real, study Biggie & Jay Z aswell, Big L, Big Pun, Lord Finesse, KRS ONE, Big Daddy Kane, Rakim, Nas - but dont just listen to em, study them...................and do like White Mouse said, check for other genres of music too, also read books, the bible, dictionary, shakespear.....also, check for whats going on in the world, check for the news, even down to cartoons, game shows & shit...it all helps with lyrics.................as far as flow, dont put too much words in one line, start off simple, perfect that, and then develop from there, there is no rule saying an mc has to be complex, as long as you can say what you need to say & get ya point across & the listener can understand you, you're good

THE MASON
10-17-2008, 12:27 PM
you dont, you have to let it deal with itself........

Canibus, Killah Priest, GZA/Deck, Chino - yeah these are all good lyricists, but on the real, study Biggie & Jay Z aswell, Big L, Big Pun, Lord Finesse, KRS ONE, Big Daddy Kane, Rakim, Nas - but dont just listen to em, study them...................and do like White Mouse said, check for other genres of music too, also read books, the bible, dictionary, shakespear.....also, check for whats going on in the world, check for the news, even down to cartoons, game shows & shit...it all helps with lyrics.................as far as flow, dont put too much words in one line, start off simple, perfect that, and then develop from there, there is no rule saying an mc has to be complex, as long as you can say what you need to say & get ya point across & the listener can understand you, you're good

for sho, music is an outlet to express your opinions and what inspiring you. Sometime you can get inspired anything, but dont force yourself doing that is worse almost, if you aint feelin something but you think "awww man other cats would feel that on a track" but you dont really believe it, its not worth sayin youll lose some quality in your rap. you dont get the same energy out of it

KLIION JENSEN
10-17-2008, 12:58 PM
if you aint feelin something but you think "awww man other cats would feel that on a track" but you dont really believe it, its not worth sayin youll lose some quality in your rap.

for real, thats truth, if you dont feel what you're doing, how can you expect me or anyone else to ?? at the same time though, you might be feeling something, but none of your boys will, do them shits, cos you aint the only person in the world thats feelin it