PDA

View Full Version : MC's Writing Techniques.......

J-Cee
10-15-2008, 09:12 AM
When you writing a track,how do you do it??
I Always basically have the beat goin in the background so i can write to it and so i have my flow on beat with it....but it seems when i write without a beat i can write alot deeper and such..but then tryna put those lyrics to the beat it doesnt flow that well.

Any tips,hints techniques yall got??

J.T.S.
10-15-2008, 10:48 AM
Me i'll watch a movie and write a song inspired by it, read books and write songs inspired by them.
Basically everything in life inspires me to write. Also alot of meditation helps too. Listening to other artists so i don't sound like them, even the weakest artists insire me. Also i practice deep breathing this is good for a fluid flow, and delivery.

J-Cee
10-15-2008, 12:08 PM
^true..yeh i get inspired by exciting upcoming events..or like the thought of doing a live show,listening to a real deep track..
also sometimes just depends on how i'm feeling at the tine and if i'm really feeling the beat.

Koolish
10-15-2008, 04:41 PM
the beat and the lyrics aren't mutually exclusive. if it's not flowing as well maybe you're trying to write something that doesn't work with that beat.

the words are a part of the beat in the bigger picture.

SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS
10-15-2008, 05:59 PM
Me i'll watch a movie and write a song inspired by it, read books and write songs inspired by them.
Basically everything in life inspires me to write. Also alot of meditation helps too. Listening to other artists so i don't sound like them, even the weakest artists insire me. Also i practice deep breathing this is good for a fluid flow, and delivery.

same here, i'm inspired by emotions, movies, random thoughts, anything to get the creative juices flowing. but artists like canibus, kool keith, mf doom, nas and ghostface inspire my flow energy wise i try n be sticky or busta sometimes it doesn't work out. but i memorize allot of songs like that aformentioned artist to keep my flow intact.

Tecknowledgist
10-15-2008, 06:54 PM
if it's an especially long or deep piece, i usually write it all out off the top of my head, not worrying about rhyming or flow or anything. just say what i want to say. then i go back and make it all rhyme. on my third way through, i change it around to work in the best flow i possible can. three drafts. but for just a regular 16 or something, i just get a beat and start writing. i find a metronome equally effective. its just the speed that changes my flow.

Guarded By Martyrs
10-15-2008, 07:09 PM
Poetry and the relanshionship words have with each another.

Inspiration comes from anything visual
Or something that makes me think...and that I think might make others as well.

I usually have an overall topic in mind and have seperate lines written down-
Then when writing the actual verse switch lines around and fill the spaces
And make it roll onto the next set of pre written lines...
Once the verse is finnished I'll spit it over a beat...then alter the lines written in the spaces
And adapt the flow according to the beat - It's all a very precise ritual really.
I focus on wordplay in general and use punchlines like a sniper rather than a machine gun

Ghost In The 'Lac
10-15-2008, 07:32 PM
^Its not about the writing. Its not a poetry exam. Its rapping. R-A-P-P-I-N-G!

you should be doing something that SOUNDS good over the beat. Its all about being the extra instrument on the track. Flowing rhythemically with the beat.

THE MASON
10-15-2008, 07:46 PM
Ill get inspired by anything to write, literally anything i see can spark an idea. Usually ill write to a beat, but when i dont sometimes ill get my best work out of it, cuz i feel i can mold the verse into the beat. When i go to spit the verse, thats a whole new game, straight up step into my own world jus me and the beat, and i let words set the scene in my mind and i go off from there

Sinapse
10-15-2008, 09:11 PM
^Its not about the writing. Its not a poetry exam. Its rapping. R-A-P-P-I-N-G!

you should be doing something that SOUNDS good over the beat. Its all about being the extra instrument on the track. Flowing rhythemically with the beat.

I agree totally...

KLIION JENSEN
10-15-2008, 11:14 PM
Incredibly stupid.

It's not about writing? Wow. That's all I can say.

its not really, i think this the first time i've agreed with Ghostlaced on something, it's about the rapping, the way the words fit the beat & how they sound with the beat..

on the for real, i written like one/uno verse in nearly 3 years, but made shitloads of songs, basically i come up with a word or phrase to start the verse (forget about the beat for now) then i reapeat that phrase over & over, in my head or outloud until the next line comes, & repeat the exercise until i got a verse & then again until i got a song, i dont need to have a beat playing to do this, you aint always gonna have the means to have a beat playing, so you can't rely on a beat, and you aint always gonna have a pen & paper handy either, so i got rid of the pen & paper......another reason for losing the pen & paper is because, when i actually write/wrote lyrics down, i have a specific way of doing it & when it came to recording i'd be concentrating where the words are on the paper - cos thats how i wrote it, even if i knew the words by heart i'd still have the image of the paper in my head........so i got rid of the image, and kept the sound......and for me personally, i dunno about anyone else, but it feels more comfortable to spit when you dont have the paper in front of you, & i dont stumble over my words as much as i used to.................as far as the beat, i walk everywhere i go, & when i'm walking i tend to think alot, & lyrics are the main subject of thought, & i dont have a ipod or anything, so usually to get timing for the lyrics, i use my footsteps as a metronome, that way i can put my lyrics to any beat, and they aint restricted to just one flow.

the one verse that i actually wrote on paper in the past 3 years, i wrote it about 2 months ago, and i tried to spit that shit, and it just sounded so amatuerish, it just was'nt working for me, but without pen & paper it works...

Sinapse
10-15-2008, 11:22 PM
its not really, i think this the first time i've agreed with Ghostlaced on something, it's about the rapping, the way the words fit the beat & how they sound with the beat..

on the for real, i written like one/uno verse in nearly 3 years, but made shitloads of songs, basically i come up with a word or phrase to start the verse (forget about the beat for now) then i reapeat that phrase over & over, in my head or outloud until the next line comes, & repeat the exercise until i got a verse & then again until i got a song, i dont need to have a beat playing to do this, you aint always gonna have the means to have a beat playing, so you can't rely on a beat, and you aint always gonna have a pen & paper handy either, so i got rid of the pen & paper......another reason for losing the pen & paper is because, when i actually write/wrote lyrics down, i have a specific way of doing it & when it came to recording i'd be concentrating where the words are on the paper - cos thats how i wrote it, even if i knew the words by heart i'd still have the image of the paper in my head........so i got rid of the image, and kept the sound......and for me personally, i dunno about anyone else, but it feels more comfortable to spit when you dont have the paper in front of you, & i dont stumble over my words as much as i used to.................as far as the beat, i walk everywhere i go, & when i'm walking i tend to think alot, & lyrics are the main subject of thought, & i dont have a ipod or anything, so usually to get timing for the lyrics, i use my footsteps as a metronome, that way i can put my lyrics to any beat, and they aint restricted to just one flow.

the one verse that i actually wrote on paper in the past 3 years, i wrote it about 2 months ago, and i tried to spit that shit, and it just sounded so amatuerish, it just was'nt working for me, but without pen & paper it works...

Right...I'm saying that the rapping is important too, but to say that writing isn't important sounds weird to me...i mean i could freestyle non-cohesive shit over a beat and it could sound great over the beat and match the beat perfectly, yet be shallow drivel.

Sinapse
10-15-2008, 11:44 PM
I wonder what the likes of GZA, Rakim and Canibus would think about someone saying that it ain't really about the writing, its only about the way the words fit the beat...lmao...

KLIION JENSEN
10-15-2008, 11:53 PM
Right...I'm saying that the rapping is important too, but to say that writing isn't important sounds weird to me...i mean i could freestyle non-cohesive shit over a beat and it could sound great over the beat and match the beat perfectly, yet be shallow drivel.

i'm not saying its not important, but i also never said i freestyle non-cohesive shallow drivel over a beat though did i ?? when its time to record, i dont just stand in front of a mic & spit whatever comes to my head, if i'm recording a full song, i'll already have the lyrics in my head, 3 verses & some choruses, of coherant sometimes rather deep sense, sometimes it might not make sense to you the listener, but the depth i'm at i would'nt expect it to make sense.....i might take weeks working on a song, shit, i got a song right now that just needs 8 bars to finish it off and i been working on it since april......i'm tryna perfect what i do & the way i do it, and right now thats no pen & paper....technically, I DON'T WRITE LYRICS, but i put just as much effort into a song as you do, maybe more who knows.....the quickest i've worked was 2 nights ago, 16 bars, 30 minutes to come with the lyrics, 10 minutes to get em fitting perfect with the beat, recorded in 2 takes (the first take got interrupted by a phone call), then a take for backing vocals......aswell, you gotta remember that i'm 31 & i been doing this since i was 11, so i've had alot of practice

KLIION JENSEN
10-15-2008, 11:55 PM
I wonder what the likes of GZA, Rakim and Canibus would think about someone saying that it ain't really about the writing, its only about the way the words fit the beat...lmao...

nobody said "its ONLY about the way the words fit", for someone who likes to write alot, you dont really read too good do you ??

Sinapse
10-15-2008, 11:56 PM
bro, i ain't sayin thats what you do..i'm just saying that in general if cats don't place emphasis on the content of what they are writing you often wind up with shallow music. i feel what you are saying, everyone got their own approach. i wasn't implying anything about your music, i still gotta give it a full listen in the thread you posted. Peace

Sinapse
10-15-2008, 11:57 PM
nobody said "its ONLY about the way the words fit", for someone who likes to write alot, you dont really read too good do you ??

I read fine homie...wasn't trying to start any beef with you. I don't really give a fuck what anyone on this forum has to say anyway.

KLIION JENSEN
10-16-2008, 12:01 AM
fair enough, my apologies, its 5am here in England & yes, i'm tired..

but yeah, check the thread i made, theres an album in there called The Honkyologist, i did that at the begining of 2006, it was the last stuff i wrote on paper, you'll be able to tell the difference i think, i did re-do a couple of the songs this year, & personally i think they sound better now.

J.T.S.
10-16-2008, 11:38 AM
I heard a rare Rza interview on Mtv he had nas and B-real, and wyclef with him.
Rza said he bascially freestyle the whole first bobby digital album.

KLIION JENSEN
10-16-2008, 12:11 PM
^ i saw that, it was'nt B Real tho it was Ma$e, and he said Ol Dirty freestyled his whole first album, because Nas said with his I AM album, that he'd freestyle like 4 bars & record it, then listen back to it and keep adding on to it the same way until the song is done...if you listen to that album you can hear the punching in & where it joins..

at the end of the day, if you have a song that has verses & hooks, that is as deep as the song requires, stays on subject, flows nice with the beat, who gives a fuck how you came with the lyrics ?? theres no right or wrong way to make a hip hop song, if there was it would'nt be hip hop...

THE MASON
10-16-2008, 02:13 PM
at the end of the day, if you have a song that has verses & hooks, that is as deep as the song requires, stays on subject, flows nice with the beat, who gives a fuck how you came with the lyrics ?? theres no right or wrong way to make a hip hop song, if there was it would'nt be hip hop...

this is the thruth right here, everyone has to find there own way, some can just grab a mic press record and they can do a track, some need those lyrics in front of them. A lot of the older gods of rap probly started freestylin alot of there first albums, not straight off the dome type but more or less and as they progress they write there lyrics out, put some time and effort.

and yo im not sayin you dont put effort Jensen cuz i peeped yo tapes and they dope. IMO, when you write out your lyrics you can re write shit or edit out parts before you step to the mic, plus i go a few "dry" runs before i hit the mic, just so i get in the zone