PDA

View Full Version : Sample Wars: Who rocked it better??

Ghost In The 'Lac
10-21-2008, 07:53 PM
For da hedz. Im gonna kick with a RZA vs Marley Marl duel. OOOHHHHH Heaveewaytzz

OG Song, Al Green The Letter

bIVJLFFFIqY

RZA flip, Biggies Long Kiss Goodnight

ilYr9wwd-bk

The Marley Touch, CNN/Mobb Deep LA LA Kuwait version (the only version as far as im concerned)

HkRagaAfcR8

Obviously listening to music on Youtube shitty quality means you lose alot of the frequencies, but somehow Marley got that shit to bang HARDER, much harder. I thought RZA's loop was better though, and Long Kiss was technically a better sounding as a song.

I thought it was interesting to see how very subtle changes on the exact same loop can make totally different vibes in the beats. LKG had a laid back in the cut feel, LA LA had a smack you in the face feel.

Ghost In The 'Lac
10-21-2008, 07:57 PM
I give it to RZA though, because this type of beat is exactly why we have people like Just Blaze and Kanye out there right now. RZA originated so many styles. And im not even talking about putting synths on top of samples like they all doing now too. Take away the synths he put on top, you got the blueprint for Just and Kanye right there.

12weLvE
10-21-2008, 09:47 PM
Best thread you have ever made... props on this one...

I give the first battle to RZA... He killed it with the Piano.

THE MASON
10-21-2008, 10:10 PM
RZA, one of the most memorable biggie songs for me.

the beat is rugged

Longbongcilvaringz
10-22-2008, 01:13 AM
I'll give it to Marley Marl.

Because RZA's beat is the exact reason that we have people like Just Blaze out there.

claaa7
10-22-2008, 02:54 AM
good thread 'Laced and a damn tough question since i fucking love both of these joints, both are 10/10 tracks and both make one wanna go out there and bash some heads in... "LA LA (Kuwait Mix)" is just too real though, 1/0 to Marley...

Durag
10-22-2008, 03:16 AM
Wow, great thread TOASTFACED, thats a close one, but i think imma give it to Marley Marl. "long Kiss Goodnight" was never one of my favourite tracks off "Life After Death" anyways.

Marley Marl is underlooked by a lot of newer fans and its a shame really

Ritter
10-22-2008, 03:24 AM
Marl.

Edgar Erebus
10-22-2008, 06:27 AM
RZA.

It's nice to see Ghostlaced giving his opinions on something though. That is, he never has an opinion, he's crippled of liking any kind of music (prolly can't even sing) and all of his posts are basid on if it has swagger, if it's influential or is it hot. Like these beats he posted, for example. He didn't base his opinion on did he like more RZA's or Marl's thing, didn't mention what beat his soul felt better. Instead he wrote something on what Just Blaze and Kanye are doing and that it's more similar to RZA. That's no criteria on who rocked it better though - it's just who rocked it better, not who influenced what or who bit whom.

Props for thread though.

Ghost In The 'Lac
10-22-2008, 06:54 AM
^ I try to look at the bigger picture ya dig?

Marley Marl really matched up the drums with all the MC's really dope. He cut off the drums and shit just at the right times, especially in Nore's verse, to match his off kilter flow.

But then on Trag verse which was non stop flow in ya face he kept the drums rollin, perfect, attention to detail from Marl.

Edgar Erebus
10-22-2008, 07:08 AM
Better already.

It's all good about bigger picture and shit, but we ain't talking about which song made bigger impact, we're talking about who rocked it better. Basically you started created the theme and then slipped, don't do it.

I went with RZA because that song created a feeling of a windy alley where a big fat mobster pulled over someone to put a bullet in his head and then rapped the song before the shot.

Afficial_Nastee
10-22-2008, 08:04 AM
Whoa, I never listened to that LA LA joint to tha fullest, but I choose LA LA, that beat is a banga....

KLIION JENSEN
10-23-2008, 09:59 AM
i'm going with Long Kiss Goodnight, to me its just a better track altogether, the use of the sample, the synths, the drums, the hook, the verses, shit even the ad-libs are dope....i really do like LA LA though, but Rza beat Marley on this one

SL33
10-23-2008, 10:05 AM
marley's..... but RZA's piano is off the hook.

overall, 'LA, LA' is better than 'Long Kiss' cause the verses were great. (especially Tragedy's)

claaa7
10-23-2008, 11:06 AM
^^ you saying Biggie's verses weren't great on "Long Kiss Goodnight" - i think that joint was real fucking serious lyrically.

SL33
10-23-2008, 11:12 AM
^^^^ no, biggie was dope too

Dirty Knowledge
10-23-2008, 12:31 PM
Not much a difference in the two, only difference with Marley's flip is the low-fi effect. I gotta give it to LA,LA though.

bocs
10-23-2008, 04:23 PM
rza seriously has the shittiest synthesizer of all time. Any time you hear a synth on a rza beat post 1997 it sounds thin as paper like one of those shitty 20 dollar casios

i gotta give it to marley marl. rza's synth sounds like a calculator farting.

BIG D O
10-23-2008, 08:17 PM
gotta roll wit Marley's version.....i like the way he added those loud horn hits more than I like the way Rza added those synths....

I like Marley's percussion sounds better too--his kick, hat and snare were waaaay iller than the one's Rza used....

Memory Man
10-23-2008, 08:46 PM
marley marl.

J-DON
10-24-2008, 07:40 AM
the LA LA beat is too hard.