PDA

View Full Version : Beat maker starter kit ?

oLd_KaiNry
10-22-2008, 09:13 PM
i been thinking about making beats for the fun of it for the last 3-4 years but now im tired of dreaming about it and i wanna make it happen !!! i dont want top of the line shit, i dont care if its used or not, i just wanna know what would be the best stuff to start with (500-1000$ budget). i really dont know anything about that shit so the most information possible would be gladly appreciated.

P.S. i dont care about fruity computer program, i wanna have fun with it and clicking on a mouse aint fun !

thx for the help

BIG D O
10-23-2008, 03:05 AM
if you have 1000 dollars you can easilly afford some of the best/classic drum machines ever known to hip-hop....

The sampling drum machines I speak of are the SP-1200 and the MPC 2000 maybe even a 2000 XL....there'll be other options out there though...dealling with a price range of 500 to 1000 bucks you'll have lots of options....

my top suggestions would be these brands/models

Ensoniq ASR-10 (most expensive these should get is $500)

E-Mu SP-1200 (should run anywhere from $300 to $600)

Akai MPC 2000 or 2000 XL (the 2000 should run anywhere from $200 to $300, maybe even less and the 2000 XL usually goes anywhere from $400 to $1000)

Roland MV 8000 (these can get pricey....usually don't see em' goin cheaper than $600 and most people ask for $1000)

Boss Dr. Rythym DR-110 (I have no idea how much these would be goin for now, mabe $100 or $200 bucks..it's the oldest model on this list, but still pretty good)

Korg Triton Classic or Le (bout $800 to $1000 here, but well worth it)

I suggested primarily older models and machines due to their price range....Akai does have a couple of new models like the 2500 and the 1000 that you can score at about $700 to $1000 bucks) that are pretty decent....

......the ASR-10 and the Triton are keyboards that have a lot of he same functionality as the drum machines and I highly recommend them both....

I own and use a 2000 myself, and I'm really satisfied with it....I started out makin beats 10 or 11 years ago on Fruity Loops.....I also integrated a few multi-track recorder's and editor's in my setup as well....after awhile tho I grew tired of the extremely limited swing functions and I didn't feel like learning a different program like Reason or Cubase....so I started shoppin around....

I used to be a member of the now defunct message board Sohh.com and it was there that I first linked up with a cat that was a starving student, looking to get some quick cash for his old MPC 2000....after some politicking thru PM's and a couple of days to gather the cash, I was able to cop it off him for 200 bucks! Your new to the world of drum machines, but lemme tell you even for a somewhat disregarded version like the 2000 that's a great deal....

I been bangin out beats on it every day since then.....

I still do plan on coppin a SP-1200, maybe for Christmas---and's that's just because I crave it's 12 bit sampling (the best soundling sampling drum machine ever) over Akai's average 16 bit......

either way, I'm hapy I spent so many years toiling with music software, it really did a lot in teaching me about music theory which is a very important part of making beats....fucking with those multi-track editor's taught me a great deal about waveforms, blending, chopping and sample color....that's helped a lot in my overall understanding of mixing and the final product.....remember, the drum machine don't make the music hot---you do....you don't necessarilly need a drum machine to get your beats soundin' right...I know plenty of producers that use software or have a software/hardware combination and get a dope ass sound out of that.....

don't think for one second that because you buying hardware that making dope beats will just happen for you....you have to know some things, and you better be ready to shell out the cash for the necessities that you'll need in order to get your drum machine working right---things like quarter inch cables, floppy disks and various other cables and cords depending on whether you want to integrate things like your PC, a vinyl record player or a Zip disk drive.....

really I might be over stating this whole thing....I mean, if you really wanna make dope beats, really all you need is some old records, a reciever, a turntable and a way to record, be it a PC or a hardware multi-track....

mainly its all about what kind of music you like and what kind of music you want to create....if you wanna be sampling like crazy I would suggest you run out and start coppin' that vinyl brutha....grab that vinyl and start playing music as much as possible....a big part of being a good sample-based hip-hop producer is having a good ear and being a relentless digger....diggin' is what I love...I can spend entire days driving around in my city to various goodwill's, record stores, thrift stores and pawn shops just searchin for that vinyl....it has to be a labor of love....you have to be a student of all schools of music and their sub-genres....one example is rock....you gotta know rock, but you also gotta know progressive rock, glam rock, folk rock, new wave, psychedelic and Alt. Rock.....you gotta start figuring out which kind of records and old record labels have the sounds your looking for.....and you will....it's all a journey....eventually it won't even matter what kinda record you snatch up, you'll be able to make a beat out of it....

thye key is to get whatver your gonna use be it hardware or software and just master your instrument....don't get discouraged and just put your time in.....be dedicated and i promise you'll be rewarded with good music....just express yourself man...there really is no judges in this...whatever sounds good to you is good....do it for yaself man...make what you wanna make, fuck the standards and all the bullshit make yourself satisfied....at the end of teh day it's just you and your music man....and your music is an extension of yaself....just go rep for what you wanna do kid....

good luck....

oLd_KaiNry
10-23-2008, 12:27 PM
damn thanks for the help !!!! that's more than appreciated !

WuGambino
10-23-2008, 01:18 PM
The Audio booth will have some people who can help you who might not check here very often

BIG D O
10-23-2008, 08:07 PM
damn thanks for the help !!!! that's more than appreciated !

think nuthin' of it man.....

famenchuan
10-24-2008, 07:45 AM
Is the asr 10 easy to use?

360beatz
10-24-2008, 08:50 AM
Nothing wrong with software you could get ableton live 7 they added a new feature slice to new midi track which is like having a mpc but 10x's stronger (drum racks). All you need is a midi controller and you can make beats live without drawing notes in with a mouse, check out this video he is using a MPD32 Midi controller <-$300
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tE7GHgbmlP0

also check out this youtube to see the possibilities
http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?p=r&user=Stray411&page=1

the demo you can use for 14 days for free, the session view is where all the fun takes place. The program even comes with tutorials once installed so it can you speed up the learning curve
http://www.ableton.com/

also check out this youtube page it has four pages of things that can be accomplished
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=AbletonInc&view=videos

gl finding a sp 1200 under $1200 you better off getting a sp555 <-$700 they raised the price... or sp404 <- $400 this has vinyl simulation the sp555 doesn't...

but ableton live has an effect that can apply vinyl simulation...

BIG D O
10-24-2008, 03:43 PM
gl finding a sp 1200 under $1200

this one is starting at $500
http://cgi.ebay.com/Emu-SP1200-E-Mu-sp-1200-Sampler-Drum-Machine-Orig-Grey_W0QQitemZ110303780436QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item 110303780436&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C 240%3A1318

I don't know, seems like just 6 months ago there were a lot more on Ebay....anyway, if you get in there on this one I would bet you can get it a lot cheaper than $1200 bucks....then again there is a full 6 days left on it....lol....

Is the asr 10 easy to use?

I mean...comparitively it's not as difficult to understand as some of teh new drum machines or software per se, but I mean, every machine takes time to learn....just depends on your learning curve....

I think the ASR-10 is pretty easy compared to other machines....

BIG D O
10-25-2008, 11:22 PM
bumpin