PDA

View Full Version : Top 50 PC Games Ever -My Take on It-

Ritter
10-23-2008, 02:22 PM
--50.Gods--

The first game I ever played, the naked guy with a helmet throwing knives, a game that had an item system consisting of items that actually boost, one of the best platforms, if not the best platform ever created skills. The formula is impeccable and pretty much the elementary point of every RPG.

--49.Half Life--

The genius of Half Life is the adventure touch of it. You have to figure out what to do before you headlessly disembowel everyone in your path. A landmark of the FPS genre, many would put this game higher, but I never got into it as much as everyone obviously did.

--48.Brutal--

Punch, kick, duck, jump, rats, bunnies, a health bar and 3 rounds. This game is right up there with Mortal Kombat when it comes to hit 'em up games. Call it childish, but this is the best fun I've had with this type of games. I was fuckin 9 when I played this game, and this is what fun should look like. This is not something if you want brilliant depth in-game mechanics.

--47.Children of the Nile--

Many of y'all will disagree with this here, this was a choice I have given a lot of thought. A game like Caesar. Just better (at least for me). Harvest pomegranates, apples after the flood, beat your head against the wall when you get a floodless year. Hire mercenaries, build your army, conquer other cities and make them your bitches. If you haven't played it, try it. But I can't guarantee you will like it.

--46.Shadow Warrior--

One of the best shooters to ever come out. You no mess with Lo Wang.
A ripper heart for a weapon is epic. When you have something like that, you know the game rocks. A fuckin heart.Killing faggot bunnies, throwing grenades, shooting with a variety of weapons, just what a FPS should look like. And that silly car minigame is WIN.

--45.Worms--

A bunch of worms holding bazookas, banana bombs, cow bombs, parachutes, shotguns, uzi's, calling carpets and fuckin concrete donkies out of the air is legendary. The weapons system is a swing and hit (it even includes a baseball bat), the voice acting is hilarious, and the little comments when you kill a worm, or when a crate falls out of the air just make your day better. This is the hilariousest concept for a game ever. Humiliate your friends, or get humiliated by the computer, and just have FUCKING FUN doing so.

--44.Space Rangers--

A space sim game with arcade elements, adventure elements, RTS elements, tycoon elements, RPG elements. You'd think this is a perfect game. But it has one flaw- it's too repetetive with it's quest. Fetch me this, fetch that guy in Alpha Solaris that, kill this guy, go to this planet and come back. But it's all laced with beautiful mechanics and a lot of replayablity value. You can play as a pirate, a trader or a soldier. Everything is great. Build up your ship, knock out aliens out of space, take their cargo, and sell it, buy new weapons, rinse & repeat.

--43.Battlefield--

The way you play with tons of people, using vehicles and different classes just makes you go to the army, and shoot heads. It takes you in, you'll play it for hours thinking it's 20 minutes. It's a great game, one of the best in its genre, and yet I only put it at 43. Vietnam, Battlefield 2, the expansion packs, 2142, everything is very consistent and it's one of the rare games that keeps up it's appearance after so many sequels.

--42.Colonization--

Ever since Sid Meier created Civilization III, I knew that won't be the end. When he created Pirates!, he made a remake of Gettysburg in a minigame. So then I secretly started wishing for a remake of his revolutionary game "Colonization". A few weeks ago, I got what I wanted. Been playing my ass off a pretty huggy bunch if I might add. Found a colony in the new world that is random generated, or alternatively you can play in North America as a scenario. Trade, assign your colonists to different work areas, produce products from raw materials. Slowly gather your army, and break free from your imperialistic captors a.k.a. The Royal Army of <insert country here>.

--41.Jade Empire--

A BioWare RPG created first as an Xbox exclusive, getting almost perfect scores on most game review sites. A martial arts-themed RPG set in the far east, very similar to Knights Of The Old Republic. You had companions, quests, the identical dialogue form, the "light" and "dark" side. Open Palm and Closed Fist, respectively. You don't have the traditional RPG stats here, you have 3 stats, Body (Health), Mind (Focus), Spirit (Chi). Balance them up to create a class of your wish. You have various fighting techniques that are not bound to those stats. You can design the character very freely. That gives this game a unique sense of personality, and just sucks you right in. The story is brilliant, the only flaw is the lenght of the game. You can beat it in about 15 hours, side quests and everything. Epic nonetheless.

--40.Call Of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth--

From the first moment you step into that asylum, your heart starts beating funny, you start looking around your chair to check for maniac cannibal cultists. The blend of adventure and action is great, the story just sinks into the atmosphere, the length is satisfying and the way you check your own house doors before stepping out after 3-4 hours of playing is just mindblowing. For everyone liking horror adventure games that aren't in the point-and-click environment, this is a strongly recommended game. Fantastic.

--39.Planescape: Torment--

If someone told you "I woke up dead in a mortuary and a skull started talking to me in this one game I played", you'd tell him he's crazy. But you'd miss out on a game that has so much depth you could drown yourself in content. The story is without a doubt in top 5 game stories. I remember playing this game on 4 CD's that I borrowed from my uncle. I beat the first 2 CD's in about 2 weeks, playing 3-4 hours daily. So I beat the third disc, and come to the 4th. <Plot, plot, plot> and I get to the ending scene, grab a deep breath, and click the dialogue on the final character which would reveal all the answers to my questions. And, the game crashes. I start beating my head with a Sledgehammer of Inferno (a nearby plastic baseball bat), and I see that the 4th CD was a bit scratched. Of course, I saw that after trying to beat it 2 times from the beginning. I buy a new CD, and it worked to the ending. That story should give you the image of how good this game is. For anyone who never played this game: DON'T SKIP ANY DIALOGUES

--38.Rome: Total War--

When this game came out, I was fifth grade studying about the Roman civilization. Normally, I don't give a fuck about historic turn-based strategies, but when I heard it has elements of Civilization in it's single player campaign, I was a bit curious what this looks like. I never played Shogun: Total War, simply because I didn't give a fuck. So this game is so good, it's better than Half Life (2, episodes, Orange Box). Why? Because I played it for 300+ hours. This game first lets you pick between 3 campaigns: Julii (Julius Caesar, northern Italy), Scipii (Scipio The African, Sicily and Corsica) and Brutii (Brutus, southern Italy). When you beat the campaign (conquer Rome), you unlock the barbarian countries, almost all of them. The Gauls, The Seleucids, The Egyptians, The Brittish, etc. So it gives it an incredible ammount of replayability. There is the turn-based campaign which is a lot like Civilization, only without technologies. And there is the RTS element. High-scale battles between thousands of soldiers. Funky.

--37.Mortal Kombat--

Everyone knows Mortal Kombat, everyone played it. "It's so real it hurts!". Sub-Zero, Liu Kang, Raiden, Jax etc. I've wasted my Q, W, A, S buttons playing this game. The genius of Mortal Kombat is the fatality. It put hit 'em up games to a whole nother level. The originality of characters, everything. The way I pointed the finger at my brother after I pwned him, it's priceless. Best PC fighter game of all time, without a doubt. @Reik0: MK4 wasn't so special, you should really play either the Trilogy or MKII, or 3 more. 2D is what it's all about. If I could count the days spent with this game on my hands, I'd have a shitload of hands, yo.

--36.Syberia--

So, that guy named Benoit Sokal or whatever puts you in the body of Kate Walker, who goes out to finalize a toy (automaton) factory take-over (since you're a lawyer). The owner of the factory just died, and she gets all sympathetic. Yada yada yada, you know the plot. The brilliant catchy puzzles that aren't hard, they're just mindsparking, and that's just what you need. A good story you get sucked-in to, puzzles that don't make you type in "<Enter adventure name here> walkthrough" into your google search bar, and an atmosphere that fits the mood of the game. Cold, hot, rainy, sad, dramatic, mysterious etc. It's a game you should beat twice if you didn't. But you can't play the first game without the second. I only hate that one puzzle where you have to make a fucking coctail. Other than that, every character you meet, becomes a part of your life. Your life of course = Kate Walker's life

--35.Duke Nukem 3D--

"Damn, I'm good!" This guy made John McClane look like a kindergarten pussy. This guy was so bad-ass, he made the devil shit his flaming pants. Ok, enough with the bad comparisons. This is as FUN as a shooter gets. His bad-ass comments across the game add a cherry to the top of the bad-ass cake. A video game character that says "I got balls of steel" is bound to make you feel like you're a success in life. "Makin' bacon". OK, enough with the fuckin quotes Shizz. The sheer shooting quality is very good, and the arsenal is admirable. There are no words to describe the way it catches you. It's just the feeling of the game that gives Duke Nukem 3D it's 35. spot. "Yippi Kai Yey motherfuckers"

--34.Zeus: Master Of Olympus--

Same story as with the Children of the Nile. This game has so much personality in it, you could play it for hours thinking it's 10 minutes. The game features epic quests. Well not epic in the RPG sense of the word, but epic as in quests involving Hercules, Medusa, Gorgon, and all that. Greek Mythology at it's finest. You can build shrines to call upon gods to aid you in your development. The whole game is brilliantly orchestrated, and when you see an influx of goods and cash, your smile can't be hid under that tough decaying gamer heart.

--33.Witcher--

I placed this too low... What's special about this game is the raw maturity of it. You shag, you swear, you can be both a bad guy and a good guy (but in the real sense of the word). It's a unique game when it comes to that. The combo-click combat is never tiring and unboreable(is that a word?). You don't select a class, you build up just how you want, distributing points (talents) into Dexterity, Strenght, Stamina or Intelligence, Quen, Aard, Igni, Yrden or Axii (those are magic powers, or signs), and the sword styles. That makes this game real good. Making a pre-defined character into being yourself. You would swear in the situations Geralt is in, you would shag horny babes if she hit on you. You wouldn't choose between:

1. Sorry, you're charming, but I can't. Maybe another time (this is the option where you don't get to shag)
2. Farewell. I have to go. (The clichee)

In Witcher you choose:

1. Show me the room
2. I'm not in the mood, I'll come this evening

I'm not saying the game is good because of the shagging, I'm saying the game is brilliant because of the way you approach situations. The only flaws in this game are a slightly generic story, and the 'go here, do that, bring this' quest mechanics.

Stay tuned...

DR. NICK RIVIERA
10-23-2008, 02:39 PM
Half-Life so loooow? :O

U mad?

Maybe it's just me, but every top50 IMO should include Unreal, Halo, Half-Life 1, Half-Life 2[even more if u count the episodes and Portal too], Unreal Tournament, Duke Nukem 3d, Quake [for being one of the first 3d games ever], Monkey Island 1 & 2, Broken Sword, Grim Fandango and Sam&Max.

I hope to see at least half of them on your list. If not, I'll make my own recomendations.

Ritter
10-23-2008, 02:52 PM
I won't include games I never played (Unreal, System Shock (I never played it)), that's for sure. I wont include games sequels, as you saw for Battlefield.

I'm mad. Everyone will disagree with my list. Everyone.

But stay tuned for the rest of the list. I have a lot of MAAAD choices.

DUMBO
10-23-2008, 03:06 PM
this thread should be closed, sealed in a reinforced steel pod, and shot out into space to be seen never again.

why?

because it just should.

11th Chamber
10-23-2008, 03:39 PM
I better see Counter-Strike atleast in the Top 15

Ritter
10-23-2008, 03:46 PM
I better see Counter-Strike atleast in the Top 15

Won't say anything.

I'm just making this list to encourage a feeling in yourselves to sit and think about all the games you ever played and appreciate those I didn't put, appreciate those I did. Maybe come back to some games to realize how good they are. I know I just installed 9 because of these list just to replay them a bit.

I repeat, you WILL disagree with most of my choices.

11th Chamber
10-23-2008, 03:53 PM
I can come to terms with that

DR. NICK RIVIERA
10-23-2008, 03:55 PM
I understand if u never played some game that u won't put it on the list, as I can't put Fallout 1 & 2 [I'm downloading them tho just right now], but to not include sequels is just retarded. Then just say best franchises and u have Half-Life with two parts, two episodes, two Team Fortresses, two CounterStrikes, Opposing Forces [and the only shitty one, but not made by Valve] Blue Shift. So it should've been much higher, everyone who played HL2 and EP2 especially KNOWS THAT [u'll have to play it eventually]

Just continue with the list. =)

I will add some games =)

Reiko
10-23-2008, 03:57 PM
I'm wonderin' if there will be place for Mortal Kombat 4 :D or Heroes III :D.

Ritter
10-23-2008, 04:10 PM
If I put sequels, there wouldn't be enough space for all the games I plan to put in. I leave you to pick which part of the franchise you like the best. I'll note out the ones I do if it's a drastic difference between the 2 parts.

Reiko
10-23-2008, 04:15 PM
Go on with your list I'm really curious about it.

Ritter
10-23-2008, 04:19 PM
42 is up.

DR. NICK RIVIERA
10-23-2008, 04:27 PM
Prim0, MK4 really sucks if u look at MK3 Trilogy.....shame.

Guilty Gear XX is better IMO. At least if we're talking about PC fighting games, of course.

Ritter
10-23-2008, 05:00 PM
41 is up.

I agree with wera on the MK4 statement.

40 coming veeery soon.

JASPER
10-23-2008, 06:00 PM
Grim Fandango
Deus Ex
Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Goldeneye 64
Dreamfall: The longest Journey
Half Life 2

Should be in the top 10

DR. NICK RIVIERA
10-23-2008, 06:56 PM
GoldenEye wasn't on PC, was it? Same with Zelda =)

DR. NICK RIVIERA
10-23-2008, 06:58 PM
Funny, I'm downloading Planescape: Torment too lol

Ritter
10-24-2008, 03:12 AM
Funny, I'm downloading Planescape: Torment too lol

That game is a masterpiece. It's an RPG with all the RPG elements, yet you can't just skip all the dialogues and beat everything that has a red glow on them and beat the game. You could play like that for 30 mins, but you don't know where to go next.

The Hound
10-24-2008, 03:21 AM
are you talking just PC games that come on duh compact disc? ... because there's alot of dope shit from back in the days from amiga and commodore system that shit on alot of games ...

monkey island 2 is the greatest game i've ever played ...

Ritter
10-24-2008, 03:31 AM
are you talking just PC games that come on duh compact disc? ... because there's alot of dope shit from back in the days from amiga and commodore system that shit on alot of games ...

monkey island 2 is the greatest game i've ever played ...

Not only the CD, there are already two Amiga games on the list (Gods & Colonization). There aren't many of them on the list, but there are some I consider undying.

The Hound
10-24-2008, 04:01 AM
I'm wonderin' if there will be place for Mortal Kombat 4 :D or Heroes III :D.

LOL you for real? MK4 is garbage i don't care how much of a break through it was for the new line game consoles MK trilogy destroyed it ... 4 was terrible

Reiko
10-24-2008, 07:15 AM
Lack of characters is the only minus for me in MK4, rest is good, still playin' ;)

DR. NICK RIVIERA
10-24-2008, 07:33 AM
no really, dude, it's not that great. =) how many of fighting games u played in your life?

DR. NICK RIVIERA
10-24-2008, 07:38 AM
hahahhaha bastard. I acknowledge the greatness of Total War, but being a strategy that u can play almost forever ...... and HL2 isn't... bah forget it. Continue.

DUMBO
10-24-2008, 07:40 AM
orange box betta be in the top 15. another issue is the time frame: there should be a top 20 before 2002 that is segregated from the main list, b/c computer games have changed so much since the early 2000s.

Ritter
10-24-2008, 02:04 PM
orange box betta be in the top 15. another issue is the time frame: there should be a top 20 before 2002 that is segregated from the main list, b/c computer games have changed so much since the early 2000s.

It's integrated into Half Life choice.

I considered that too, but it's all about the quality of the game, no matter the time frame. If the game is immortal, it will be on this list. I won't put games on the list because they were good in 95. I'll put games that are good now, too.

I get y'all concerns, peace.

37 coming right up.

Ritter
10-24-2008, 02:15 PM
37, up 36 is in the maykeeng.

The Hound
10-24-2008, 02:47 PM
yo shizz you ever play road rash ??

Ritter
10-24-2008, 02:51 PM
yo shizz you ever play road rash ??

I think I did when I was a little kid. Can't say I remember it very well. I'll check it out. I only remember it was motorcycles.

What was it like?

JASPER
10-24-2008, 03:02 PM
GoldenEye wasn't on PC, was it? Same with Zelda =)
Yeah, I'm retarded. PC games then eh...

Ritter
11-15-2008, 02:39 AM
33. is up, I slipped up on this thread.

Ritter
04-08-2009, 04:12 AM
I lost the .txt file containing the rest of the list. And I was working on it for so long...