PDA

View Full Version : ability to pick beats goes is a skill i judge mc's by...

VallKano
10-25-2008, 03:54 AM
i think everyone should...people claim all these rappers to be great yeh they might be great but when ur listenin to beats that piss u off with good lyrics...i mean it sucks take jay-z for example a lot of his albums have WEAK i mean WEAAAAAAAAAAAAK production but he can spit...i cant listen tho fuck it

Suga Duga
10-25-2008, 05:49 AM
absolutely.

J-Cee
10-25-2008, 06:00 AM
i agree..i love RA the rugged man as an mc..but me personally i hardly feel any of his beats,pisses me off...

2Bladez
10-25-2008, 06:20 AM
To me, Kool G Rap is an emcee like that

claaa7
10-25-2008, 06:25 AM
i have to disagree - a technically great MC should be something that ain't debatable, everyone in here should be able to agree that Nas, Rakim, Eminem, Ghostface Killah, Jay-Z, Scarface, Eminem, Notorious B.I.G, Big L and O.C. is or have been great MC's no matter what beats they choose to spit on. I mean who are we to decide what beats are great or not, it's all a matter of opinion - a shitty Jay-Z beat IMO might be another one's favorite and mostly these artist choose to spit over something THEY like but I agree with your point in the case that the MC choose a beat he himself thinks is a big piece of shit but thinks has the potential to sell millions.

p.e.a.c.e.

famenchuan
10-25-2008, 07:18 AM
choosing beats is part of the art of making music. mcing is just mcing and nothing else.

Rame
10-25-2008, 09:51 AM
A lot of times the labels pick beats.

Not always though, rappers pick shitty beats too but I don't know if it's fair to judge them by that.

LORD NOSE
10-25-2008, 10:03 AM
Good MCs can rhyme over anything and make a garbage beat sound good with their voice - JAy Z is one of these

Some MCs spit over what they think others will like

i say they should spit over beats that they themselves enjoy listening to

whitey
10-25-2008, 10:22 AM
Good MCs can rhyme over anything and make a garbage beat sound good with their voice - JAy Z is one of these

Some MCs spit over what they think others will like

i say they should spit over beats that they themselves enjoy listening to

i agree, but if what they enjoy listening to themselves is wack, than it kinda blows for the rest of us.

i think that may be nas problem, he just likes beats that most people think suck. because let me tell you, if nas let ME pick beats for his albums hed had 8 illmatics on his hands.

Suga Duga
10-25-2008, 10:52 AM
i have to disagree - a technically great MC should be something that ain't debatable, everyone in here should be able to agree that Nas, Rakim, Eminem, Ghostface Killah, Jay-Z, Scarface, Eminem, Notorious B.I.G, Big L and O.C. is or have been great MC's no matter what beats they choose to spit on. I mean who are we to decide what beats are great or not, it's all a matter of opinion - a shitty Jay-Z beat IMO might be another one's favorite and mostly these artist choose to spit over something THEY like but I agree with your point in the case that the MC choose a beat he himself thinks is a big piece of shit but thinks has the potential to sell millions.

p.e.a.c.e.

I'm the GFX and I decided a long time ago, that Nas can't pick beats.

This is not about "opinion". Everybody will agree that Black Republican or Thief's Theme are dope beats. The artists just have to stop taking beats from all the DJ Wools out there.

LORD NOSE
10-25-2008, 11:16 AM
the industry is about politics

do a song with my cousin and i'll spin your record on the radio

play playstation with me and brother and we'll promote your stuff on this show

rhyme to this beat or i'll kill you

true stories

KLIION JENSEN
10-26-2008, 09:00 PM

p.e.a.c.e.

ok, so i'm allowed my own opinion on what i feel are great beats, but its undebateable that all those mc's you mentioned are great, sorry, but like beats i tend to like mc's that "I" like, i'll agree with you that Biggie, Jay Z, Ghostface, Rakim & Big L are all great, but i cannot agree with Nas, Eminem, Scarface or O.C., yes they've made great songs, and have a couple of great albums between them....like you said about beats, its all a matter of opinion.....

but to answer your question, "who are we to decide what beats are great or not ??", well, we are the public, we are the people that are going to buy an artists music & make or break that artist, if an Rakim makes a bullshit album full of bullshit beats, but he's got some amazingly dope raps on there, are you really gonna spend your hard earned money on it?? no you're not, if you do you're an idiot

J-DON
10-26-2008, 09:24 PM
Id say its fair to judge a rapper a bit for his beat selection. After all, if the beats suck the album sucks.

THE MASON
10-26-2008, 09:30 PM
I wouldnt say its fair to judge them by the beats they pick, mcing is a different part of the music making part of hiphop. you have to judge how the mc flows with the beat, you might not like the beat but if he ridin the beat nice and its got some dope vocals that where you need to judge the mc, if he can make a not so good beat into a decent track with some ill lyrics.

VallKano
10-26-2008, 11:27 PM
the only album ive heard with AIGHT BEATS and is still a classic is REDMAN-MUDDY WATERS and that's it nothing else end of discussion

food for thought
10-26-2008, 11:55 PM
picking beats has nothing to do with MCing.

an MC should be able to kill shit Acapella.

claaa7
10-27-2008, 04:26 AM
ok, so i'm allowed my own opinion on what i feel are great beats, but its undebateable that all those mc's you mentioned are great, sorry, but like beats i tend to like mc's that "I" like, i'll agree with you that Biggie, Jay Z, Ghostface, Rakim & Big L are all great, but i cannot agree with Nas, Eminem, Scarface or O.C., yes they've made great songs, and have a couple of great albums between them....like you said about beats, its all a matter of opinion.....

again i'm not talking bout the songs they are making, purely lyrical skills - don't you think Nas, Eminem, OC and Scarface is talented when it comes to flow, lyrics and performance??

but to answer your question, "who are we to decide what beats are great or not ??", well, we are the public, we are the people that are going to buy an artists music & make or break that artist, if an Rakim makes a bullshit album full of bullshit beats, but he's got some amazingly dope raps on there, are you really gonna spend your hard earned money on it?? no you're not, if you do you're an idiot

yeah of course we are the public but what I meant is that what I consider a boring half-assed beat Ghostlaced or someone else on here might call genius and vice versa. i know what you're saying though.

whitey
10-27-2008, 08:28 AM
Id say its fair to judge a rapper a bit for his beat selection. After all, if the beats suck the album sucks.

Thats it right there.

For real dude. I cant listen to albums with bad beats. Whats the fucking point. Half of what your lsitening to is garbage. I wouldnt go see an artist who had shitty beats in concert because i wouldnt want to hear any of his songs, live or not.