PDA

View Full Version : who's a sell-out in hip-hop??

claaa7
10-25-2008, 06:28 AM
what artists in the game of hip-hop do you seriously accuse of being a sell-out - remember a sell-out is someone who abandons his own beliefs of what great music is and creates shitty music for the purpose of cash money. that's why I think LL Cool J don't fit here - cuz he always been on that love shit and i think he's feeling his own music....

the one that come to my mind is Fat Joe - i mean listen to his old albums and cameos where he spit over hardcore boom-bap beats and seriously disses fake MC's, MC's trying to sound like other MC's ("I hate a MC tryin' to sound like Das EFX") while he tries to sound like he's a southern rapper like Lil' Wayne these days.

DR. NICK RIVIERA
10-25-2008, 09:04 AM
Funny for me to say this, but Nas is a sell out, but also, he's in my top10.

It's like this. He is and isn't guilty for being mainstream. He had the desire to be rich and known like Biggie, he did it, he stayed on the mainstream, but he still makes good music.

So hm.

Afficial_Nastee
10-25-2008, 10:49 AM
the one that come to my mind is Fat Joe - i mean listen to his old albums and cameos where he spit over hardcore boom-bap beats and seriously disses fake MC's, MC's trying to sound like other MC's ("I hate a MC tryin' to sound like Das EFX") while he tries to sound like he's a southern rapper like Lil' Wayne these days.
Indeed....

Suga Duga
10-25-2008, 11:01 AM
http://hiphopdom.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/lil-wayne-makes-it-rain.jpg

TSA
10-25-2008, 11:03 AM
mase was a huge sell out
he went from brick so heavy he has to chop em with machetes to making songs about the rugrats (he ruined that song btw)

wutang can be sell outs too

claaa7
10-25-2008, 11:35 AM
^^ lol true - he went from Murder Maze to Maze to Reverend Mase back to Murder Mase with G-Unit..

derek41
10-25-2008, 01:26 PM
nas sold out then realized he fucked up and has been trying to get more underground. If that joint with Premo ever pops off, he could reclaim hip hop as his. Hip Hop needs that record.

food for thought
10-25-2008, 01:40 PM
list is too long. u should be asking who ISNT selling out.

i think Nas messed up by capitalizing off the controversy created by Don Imus and
those calling for niggas to stop sayin "nigga". after doing all this and that making more controversy, he made an album which was wack as fuck with some weak ass lyrics, and weak ass content. with Game on it. and david banner(if im not mistaken).

yall heard of the mc NYOIL? he got alot to say on the situation but most of it hes talkin crazy.

food for thought
10-25-2008, 01:42 PM
^ 50 cent gotta be the biggest sellout(put in the way this thread described it).

he does that shit blatantly. singing and shit and always talking about how/whats gonna sell.

TAURO
10-25-2008, 01:49 PM
Black Eyed Peas are the biggest sellouts no doubt in my mind, they're music is so different now they may as well be another group entierly.

Fat Joe is one also but he admits it at least. I saw an interview with him were he said that hardcore shit just don't sell units so he wasn't going to be on that no more.

Snoop is practically a brand now so yes he is a sellout.

There are more but these three imediately come to mind.

tical2000
10-25-2008, 02:24 PM
FAT JOE - dude copies or rides whit anyone who is hot at the given time
BLACK EYED PEAS - when they got FERGIE they sold out hard
50 CENT - dude started his career dissing comerical rappers like JA RULE who had RnB singers all up in their video's, now he does the Rnb rap thing

THE MASON
10-25-2008, 02:38 PM
Ice Cube!!!!!

dude was all about the gangsta classics, now he ridin around in mini vans makin kids movies.

DR. NICK RIVIERA
10-25-2008, 03:21 PM
Ice Cube!!!!!

dude was all about the gangsta classics, now he ridin around in mini vans makin kids movies.

hahhahahha smack him with the rep dick for me, please

Bg_Knocc_Out
10-25-2008, 03:31 PM
I don't really think Ice Cube sold out, he still puts out hard shit, sometimes it's just in a different style. But he's the only house-hold name MC who put out a gangsta rap album with his size of popularity during these shitty times of Hip-Hop.

Sgt Holly Wood
10-25-2008, 06:11 PM
N.o.r.e
Ll Cool J

And The Ones Mentioned.. Fat Joe,snoop,mase

SynsCei
10-25-2008, 08:25 PM
Mobb Deep
BEP

TGambino
10-25-2008, 08:30 PM
Cube aint a sell out at all hes the exact opposite..look at his new music video..that shit is real as hell

to an extent i think Wayne is....if u listen to The Carter 1 n stuff before his style was tight for what it was then after The Carter 2 he started changin it....but at the same time he has been rappin for a long as time and he was a youngin so his style was bound 2 change....but still i dont like his new shit that much

KBOS
10-25-2008, 08:33 PM
for sure fat joe and BEP. You cant really say LL hes always been commercail and bout his love songs. Eminem possibly, he went from being one of the greatest to being one of the wackest but then again i dont know if he sold out or just got old and corny as fuck.

11th Chamber
10-25-2008, 10:03 PM
I'd say personally Lil Wayne never sold out because, he's always rapped the way he has, so........u can t accuse him of sellin out when he came out that way in the first place....right?

:Y

HUH!?!???

Have you not heard Block is Hot? Or anything he did before 2003?

beautifulrock
10-25-2008, 10:26 PM
Mic Geronimo, MC Hammer, Ol' Dirty Bastard

food for thought
10-25-2008, 10:27 PM
i think we need to redefine what sellin out is in this thread and for future references on this site.

DR. NICK RIVIERA
10-26-2008, 02:24 AM
can't say ODB was a sellout

he wasn't himself for sometime :/

claaa7
10-26-2008, 03:27 AM
didn't even think of Black Eyed Peas when I made this thread but DAMN right they are the worst example of sell-outs in hip-hop. I remember listening to one of their albums many years ago and the shit was some nice funky underground shit (they even had Preemo on there) and then all of a sudden I start seeing shitty pop videos on MTV from a band that call themselves the same name but with this white chick as the front girl..

Afficial_Nastee
10-26-2008, 04:31 AM
Black Eyed Peas were even signed to Ruthless Records for a while and they were named Atban Clan....

Shogah
10-26-2008, 01:49 PM
and what's with mob deep. they are running with 50cent now.

TGambino
10-26-2008, 04:45 PM
and what's with mob deep. they are running with 50cent now.
they went to his label n put out a good album that sold way more then their last two and got their names back in the mix...that song they did with Lil Jon was more of a sell out than anything they did since signing with the Unit

Memory Man
10-26-2008, 06:05 PM
they went to his label n put out a good album that sold way more then their last two and got their names back in the mix...that song they did with Lil Jon was more of a sell out than anything they did since signing with the Unit

as of now amerika's nightmare has sold at least 4 times what blood money did.

Razorsharp
10-27-2008, 11:07 AM
Ice Cube
Fat Joe, i think if Big Pun was around, he would fuck his ass up
Mobb Deep... daammmiittt :thumbdwn:

SL33
10-27-2008, 11:11 AM
Mobb Deep... daammmiittt :thumbdwn:

yes. co sign

DRUNKENDRAGON
10-27-2008, 11:23 AM
http://hiphopdom.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/lil-wayne-makes-it-rain.jpg

Far cry from his Diggin' In The Crates days... Fuck Fat Joe

food for thought
10-27-2008, 11:39 AM
^ funny ass pic. faggots

wutangescalade
10-28-2008, 05:57 PM
Fat Joe
(At Least in his interview he admits it)
Mobb Deep

wutangescalade
10-28-2008, 06:03 PM
FAT JOE - dude copies or rides whit anyone who is hot at the given time
BLACK EYED PEAS - when they got FERGIE they sold out hard
50 CENT - dude started his career dissing comerical rappers like JA RULE who had RnB singers all up in their video's, now he does the Rnb rap thing

Co-Sign

and let's not forget cuban link, ignored pun's warnings about that snake 5-0 and supported him 90% of the time, including his support for 50 for illegally recording phone conversation of young buck.

Sure he's from the BX, But the BX ain't worth a shit without big pun.

11th Chamber
10-28-2008, 07:41 PM
hey lets talk about Cuban Link in every thread we post in..

drippie k
10-29-2008, 02:20 AM
mobb deep as a group are sellouts

i wouldn't consider ice cube a sellout for doin kids movies...busta rhymes was in that rugrats movie and andre 3000 was in charlotte's web and has that class of 3000 show

zip2kx
10-29-2008, 05:44 AM
everyone who gets a deal sells out lol
They want more money so they do shit that the radio likes.
In marketing terms it's called Skimming, just try to get the money as quick as possible.

Edgar Erebus
10-29-2008, 07:32 AM
"Fuck rich, let's get wealthy".

I accept money as something you can brag about only if you're Jay-Z, that is, if you built an empire yourself and now you can't fall off.

Plus Jay never got a good deal.

drippie k
10-29-2008, 02:56 PM
kanye west might as well make an album called sellout...his music is catchy as fuck but...every album he puts out, he collaborates with who's hot at the moment....first it was mos def, talib kweli, then paul wall n cam'ron and then lil wayne n t-pain....now that new shit he's puttin out he's using that vocoder thing....SELLOUT

oLd_KaiNry
10-29-2008, 10:49 PM
anybody mentioned outkast ?

i dont know if you can call it selling out but they def changed their style to sell more units

RynMur
10-30-2008, 12:12 AM
Experimenting is not the same as selling out. Especially when no one knows if that style will sell. I wouldn't consider Outkast or RZA to be sellouts. Now when your changing your music to the popular stuff - voice decoding, love songs, or getting tattoos of other groups to get your part (mobb deep)...that's selling out.

LL Cool J
Black Eyed Peas - People at Rock the Bells (LA) were dissapointed as hell when they came on as special guests. Half of the younger kids didn't know they were an actual hip hop group at one time.
Jay-Z

drippie k
10-30-2008, 03:35 AM
i dont think outkast mixed rap with 1930's swing music on their last album thinkin that was gonna increase their sales...

Shitty Brainz
10-30-2008, 03:11 PM
busta rhymes

snakesonawiggly
10-31-2008, 11:11 AM
I disagree with Snoop just because he does commercials for products and has a reality tv show and what not doesnt mean he sold out Snoop became a cultural icon by just being Snoop and he has embraced it yeah Ego Trippin hasnt sold so well but that is mostly in part to the current rap scene and the fact that the middle age white people who love him for bein Snoop dont buy rap records or havent really heard his music before which could be considerd selling out but fuck Snoops still the Snoop he was in 91 just maybe a little more mature and a little more blazed

TGambino
10-31-2008, 12:56 PM
ppl sayin busta and snoop dont kno the meaning of sellout

RynMur
10-31-2008, 02:04 PM
Snoop sold out ever since he came out with beautiful. I can't seem how you can change your style so much: gangsta, pimp, r&b, and now i heard he's making a country album.

drippie k
10-31-2008, 02:24 PM
snoop's last great album was tha last meal...after that i think he started mixing gunpowder with his weed