PDA

View Full Version : A woman wakes up having a foreign accent? (Foreign Accent Syndrome)

check two
11-13-2008, 09:51 PM
http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/player/popup/?rn=3906861&cl=10658663&ch=4226723&src=news

Blackula Spectacula
11-13-2008, 09:58 PM
thats kind of hot .. who doesn't like accents

check two
11-13-2008, 10:07 PM
Foreign accent syndrome is a rare medical condition that usually occurs as a rare side effect of severe brain injury, such as a stroke or a head injury . Between 1941 and 2006,there have been fifty recorded cases.

Description
To the untrained ear, those with the syndrome sound as though they speak their native languages with a foreign accent; for example, an American native speaker of English might sound as though they speak with a British accent, or a native British speaker might speak with a New York American accent. However, researchers at Oxford University have found that certain, specific parts of the brain were injured in some foreign-accent syndrome cases, indicating that certain parts of the brain control various linguistic functions, and damage could result in altered pitch or mispronounced syllables, causing the speech patterns to have a different sounding accent. The change in speech is not the result of sufferers' adopting or imitating any accent; this is merely the perception of people who hear the sufferer speak.

Another theory is that, unlike a problem like aphasia, the language centers of the brain are entirely uninvolved. Instead, the person has lost the fine motor skills needed to pronounce phonemes with their usual accent. When they try to pronounce them, they find it sounds like they have a different accent. For example, difficulty pronouncing the letter 'r' at the end of words might mean a person drops them at the end of words. This is done with a Boston accent, thus the person seems to speak with a Boston accent when trying to pronounce words ending in 'r'. To maintain a sense of normalcy and flow, someone with the syndrome then augments the accent effect by imitating the rest of the accent. Depending on how important a certain phoneme is to a person's original accent, they might find speaking in a different accent to be much easier and their usual accent very difficult to consistently pronounce after some motor skills have been lost.

Occurrences
One of the first recorded incidence of FAS was in a Czech study in 1919.[2] However there had been an earlier reported case in 1907.[citation needed]

A well-known case of foreign accent syndrome occurred in Norway in 1941 after a young woman, Astrid L., suffered a head injury from shrapnel during an air-raid. After apparently recovering from the injury she was left with what sounded like a strong German accent and was shunned by her fellow Norwegians.[3]

Another well known case is that of Judi Roberts, also known as Tiffany Noel, who was born and raised in Indiana, USA. In 1999, at the age of 57, she had a stroke. After recovering her voice, she spoke with an accent in which resembled an English accent, though she never had been to Britain. [4][5] Apart from an accent, she has begun using British vocabulary, such as "bloody", and "loo".

Another case of foreign accent syndrome occurred to Linda Walker, a 60 year old woman from the Newcastle area. After a stroke, her normal Geordie accent was transformed and has been variously described as resembling a Jamaican, as well as a French Canadian, Italian and a Slovak accent.[6] She was interviewed by BBC News 24[7] and appeared on the Richard and Judy show in the UK in July 2006 to speak of her ordeal.

More recently, in the July 2008 issue of the Canadian Journal of Neurological Sciences, researchers from McMaster University published a study where a woman from Windsor, Ontario, after suffering a stroke, began speaking with what some people describe as a Newfoundland accent. [8] [9]

In 2008, Cindy Lou Romberg of Port Angeles, Washington developed foreign accent syndrome after a neck adjustment from her chiropractor. A visit to the hospital ruled out a stroke. Afterwards she spoke with a German accent and even appeared to make grammatical mistakes as a German speaking English as if English was not her native language. She was featured on the October 26, 2008 Discovery Health Channel's "Mystery ER" show[10] and was also featured on the October 31 edition of Inside Edition.

begongo
11-14-2008, 04:08 AM
it's all true, every morning I wake up I also have a foreign accent

Tyler Durden
11-14-2008, 04:12 AM
People that speak many languages, or live in a country with a different language to their own still dream in their native toungue.

I wouldnt know.
Can anyone back this up?

KERZO
11-14-2008, 05:23 AM
does that mean i can rap in american now and blame this foreign accent thingymajig?

drippie k
11-14-2008, 05:45 AM
thats crazy...the lady even had her own language

what a weirdo

check two
11-14-2008, 11:09 AM
Yeah, I was skeptical at first also. But it's a legit rare disorder after having trauma to the brain.

ilzPotent
11-14-2008, 12:44 PM
I use to have a heavy accent when I was younger and now I sound pretty educated americanesque. Is that the same thing?? But my accent comes out when I'm mad..uncontrollable. <shrugs>

I think Madonna has this..

begongo
11-14-2008, 12:47 PM
People that speak many languages, or live in a country with a different language to their own still dream in their native toungue.

I wouldnt know.
Can anyone back this up?
I fit all the criteria you listed there and I must say it's not necessarily a rule ... I sometimes dream in my native tongue, sometimes not