PDA

View Full Version : soap box. rap sucks to me now.

TSA
11-17-2008, 01:41 AM
i think i got disillusioned by the whole thing cause it started sounding less and less like what i feel is music. Not even good or bad, but it just started sounding like people weren't creating their music anymore, just rapping over beats. You look at 36 chambers for example, you can go to Rza and ask him why he made each song, what this means and what that means, what influenced this, what inspired that, what the objective was, what the impact was and the creative process of making the album and he'll answer all the questions with real and insightful answers, like any musician would.

almost everything from the 90s was like that. All the classics there was a rhyme and reason. I've seen the ppl behind Illmatic explain Illmatic, and Ready to Die, the Score, Low End Theory, Death Certificate, Supreme Clientele whatever

now, even if it sounds great it really just feels like people trying to be clever over beats when the cleverest things have already been said really.

not just the 'commerical' ones, but all of it.

I even started feeling like that when i was making my second CD. Lyrically and beatwise its the best shit i've done, but i had to compromise so much due to external and personal factors that it ended up being me rhyming over beats as opposed to being there making them and having them be what I envisioned as opposed to what i choose from a selection of beats. Its way better then the first CD i did but i like the first 1 more.

I know cuban linx 2 (lol) is gonna be like that if it exists and even if it sounds better then the first it won't have the specialness and realness that made the first one a classic and will just fade away after a few listens to the impressive lyrics and beats.

posted this in here cause its where i get my best discussions. Don't let my emotional scarring of your brain tissue online effect your post in here, if you don't like me then your wasting your time reading this and should try to focus on having fun on here as opposed to expressing frustration. You'll be well off doing so by not responding and finding a thread that makes you happy. Everyone else, yeah, you can stay, real things...real things.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/188/428668312_e902d7acbb.jpg?v=0

TSA
11-17-2008, 01:42 AM
plus

http://www.ultimate-rihanna.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/bossip.jpg
man...

11th Chamber
11-17-2008, 03:49 AM
Maybe in retrospect, people just get tired of making music, or have lost the fun in it

Back when me and my friends did shit around 5 years ago, we could do a full 10 track mixtape in like 3 days, cause we were having fun doing it. We had dope concepts, and all that shit.

5 years later we are obviously more skilled in writing, better equipment, more mature, etc. etc.

But we struggle to even record a track every 3 months cause its just become more of a chore than anything.

We are to much of perfectionalists, and you never feel fully satisfied with the product

Lyrically I shit on myself of 5 years ago, but I can atleast then hear in my voice that I had a passion, or was having fun doing it.

In terms of Cuban Linx 2, and even the Wu in general, music to them now is nothing more to them than just another paycheck

CL2 for all we know can be a great fuckin album, but you know for a fact that it was made by guys who would prolly rather not be around each other, and just wanna get that shit over with

Its a sad reality when you see the footage of them back in '97 making Scary Hours/Cash Still Rules, and Meth is miming his verse, and everybody vibing to it like that, when now its hit the studio, lay yer verse down and dip

im drunk and im rambling.

peep that fresh ass beat in my sig

11-17-2008, 07:14 AM
Move on to Miles & co, my man.

Ghost In The 'Lac
11-17-2008, 08:31 AM
but it just started sounding like people weren't creating their music anymore, just rapping over beats.

this is the problem mainly with backpack rap. they have got stuck in a shitty version of the 90's. all that Jake One White Van Music is a perfect example of why underground mostly suck ass now. THEY DONT KNOW HOW TO MAKE A SONG. its boring beyond beleif. too many people trying to copy what they heard in the 90's. not only are they not doing it well, but they are stuck in the past and need to move on.

Kanye West "creates" his music, he makes real songs like organically and shit.

But this is why the south rap scene is killing shit right now top to bottom. Because east coast rap is stuck on some bullshit and south rap just sounds REAL. It sounds real life, theyre repping their area, not pretending to be shit other than what they are, and slowly theyve created a completly new sound of music. You may not LIKE IT, but its there, and they did it. So fuck you.

Gucci is real

Soulja Boy is real

Wayne is unique to any other rapper. when that niga jumps on the mic, NO ONE sounds like him, NO ONE, maybe never in history. That means SOMETHING.

FREE GUCCI.

Olive Oil Goombah
11-17-2008, 08:39 AM
^not american, hence the stupidity of that last post will be ignored. I guess you get a pass.

Music as a whole is shit now. NOt just rap, but look how badly rock has fallen off. No more originality, everyone wants to be like everyone else.
Its not like this hasnt happened before, it has, but its like to many amateurs are getting tapes out cuz of things like myspace and youtube.
Is it good? I dont kno. obviously not.

Olive Oil Goombah
11-17-2008, 08:40 AM
i was harsh on ghostlaced, i just reread your post and your right on most of it.

Ghost In The 'Lac
11-17-2008, 08:57 AM
yeah but you still cant com[rehend why this beat is so ill

wbBt9mMMCC0

^^^that beat>>>>>>>>>>>>>any backpack rap beat i heard in the last 5 years

but he is wack on the mic

11-17-2008, 09:46 AM
^^ have you tried listening to it while you're NOT on shrooms?

INF
11-17-2008, 12:50 PM
wanna read this later so I'll bump it now

Koolish
11-17-2008, 01:07 PM
a lot of backpack rap just has music that is on the furthest end of the spectrum opposite of commercial rap, doesn't always mean it's really good music, usually just means it isn't shit, like, it stays true to Hip Hop, but that doesn't make you all that talented musically.

you listen to a lot of old school songs, and it sounds like they're just writing dope rhymes, maybe they are, but it's been said: good artists steal, bad artists copy.

Longbongcilvaringz
11-17-2008, 01:27 PM
http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/4817/imagesnice20asscx5.gif

KERZO
11-17-2008, 01:30 PM
Gay thread....heres an god awful woman..... if you can call it that -

http://bestalitla.blog.is/users/2d/bestalitla/img/c_documents_and_settings_administrator_desktop_my_ pictures_ugly_woman.jpg

*Instant erection buster*

INF
11-17-2008, 01:37 PM
bumping pink floyd's "dogs" right now thinking about reading this but still havent yet.

Tyler Durden
11-17-2008, 01:40 PM
Its way better then the first CD i did but i like the first 1 more.

Are you gonna up that album you made again?
I remember tryin to download it the last time you put it on here but it was taking so long I had to eventually turn off my computer.

DUMBO
11-17-2008, 01:45 PM
there are some examples of labour of love hip hop. Lord Jamar's album was a labour of love, and Prince Among Thieves by Prince Paul. but i get what you are saying generally the music is not the same.

Shogah
11-17-2008, 02:59 PM

wbBt9mMMCC0

but he is wack on the mic

Soooooooo Average. This kind of beats are ruining rap in past years.
I think i heard like hundred's of those.

Olive Oil Goombah
11-17-2008, 04:40 PM
^ I agree...that beat SUCKED. Those are exactly the kind of beats and lyrics that build upon the agruement that rap has totally fallen off and is a complete shell of its former self.

11th Chamber
11-17-2008, 05:11 PM

wbBt9mMMCC0

kill yaself

Ghost In The 'Lac
11-17-2008, 05:49 PM
^ I agree... Those are exactly the kind of beats and lyrics that build upon the agruement that rap has totally fallen off and is a complete shell of its former self.

it must be horrible to be you and be a rap fan right now. just quit. that beat is hot. its raw, its energetic, and rhythmic. there is absolutely no sane reason to plain hate on it, its just sounds, that sound good.......its not far off mid 80's new york in its flavor and style, you just cant see it cus youre not evolved

ErFrqVz8oNU

11th Chamber
11-17-2008, 05:56 PM
ErFrqVz8oNU

hahaha Wayne is horrible on the mic

you accually feel like a man when you sit there and listen to that?

DR. NICK RIVIERA
11-17-2008, 06:01 PM
I find rappers like Eyedea and most of Def Juxxies the most advanced thing in hiphop nowadays.

They perfected smart rap.

Ghost In The 'Lac
11-17-2008, 06:17 PM
Who the fuck listens to rap music to be a man or be smart?

you guys lost in life lol

11th Chamber
11-17-2008, 06:18 PM

you lose cause you feel comfortable listening to shit like that

Olive Oil Goombah
11-17-2008, 06:21 PM
it must be horrible to be you and be a rap fan right now. just quit. that beat is hot. its raw, its energetic, and rhythmic. there is absolutely no sane reason to plain hate on it, its just sounds, that sound good.......its not far off mid 80's new york in its flavor and style, you just cant see it cus youre not evolved

ErFrqVz8oNU

I aint hatin at all. If i dont like it, i dont like it. And i dont like any of this new commercial, myspace rap.

YOur just a young dude who didnt live thru what we did. And i dont blame you totally.

I mean, I dont really like rap from the 80's and shit, it seems primitive to me, but to people that were teens and growin up during the 80's they LOVE that shit.
I love the 90's hip hop, but alot will say the mid to late 90's is when it started fallin apart.

But this shit now....its WEAK. Any true hip hop dude will tell you that.

Ask yer boy GHOST, whom you named yourself after. shit is wackity wack.

Sorry if that means you like shit music. Do yer thing. just dont tell me it sounds good cuz it dont.

Olive Oil Goombah
11-17-2008, 06:24 PM
Yea, man i dunno...i can't get into lil wayne.

Just cuz he's unique don't necessarily mean its great or innovative.

DrunkenMasta303
11-17-2008, 06:32 PM
that beat is hot. its raw, its energetic, and rhythmic.
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk150/professorrino/businessman-181.gif

"yeah that shit would make a bomb ass ringtone"

Olive Oil Goombah
11-17-2008, 06:34 PM
hahah...yea, u gotta pay royalties to sprint. It comes with all there phones.

Its under ringtones and labeled: Hip Hop

DR. NICK RIVIERA
11-17-2008, 06:35 PM

I rather listen to quality music, than to some random currently hawt music.

I know, that some of my fav. rappers now will be in my ear for a long time...