PDA

View Full Version : Anybody here been to Wilkes-Barre, PA

Olive Oil Goombah
11-18-2008, 07:35 PM
I dont kno why, but im fascinated with this city.

Art Vandelay
11-18-2008, 08:52 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/1/1e/Wilkes-barre_scranton_penguins_200x200.png/200px-Wilkes-barre_scranton_penguins_200x200.png

Olive Oil Goombah
11-18-2008, 09:02 PM
im fascinated with all the PA steel towns...Braddock, Aliquippa, altoona, scranton..etc...

What was that movie...the football movie based in? all the right moves was it??

Mic Tyson
11-18-2008, 09:04 PM
i want to go to scranton only cuz thats the setting of the office

Olive Oil Goombah
11-18-2008, 09:07 PM
hahaha...yea

Art Vandelay
11-18-2008, 09:09 PM
im fascinated with all the PA steel towns...Braddock, Aliquippa, altoona, scranton..etc...

What was that movie...the football movie based in? all the right moves was it??

i've been to aliquippa many times. it's grimey there. one of my good friends from college grew up there. some great football players from that small town... mike ditka, tony dorsett, darrelle revis, sean gilbert and ty law

if you're into steel towns, you should also check steubenville, oh. it's about 40 minutes from pittsburgh and home to half of killarmy. also rza and ghostface spent quite a bit of time there in their younger days.

Olive Oil Goombah
11-18-2008, 09:12 PM
Yea....steubenville is were Dean Martin was from.

Actually, I had family back in the day from Aliquippa. They might still be there, i dont kno. ITs kinda a shame all these towns fell as hard as they did.

Olive Oil Goombah
11-18-2008, 09:20 PM
My grandmother on my fathers side was from Nanty Glo in Cambria county. She was German/Welsh.....its a small coal mining town. I'd like to visit it one day.

Art Vandelay
11-18-2008, 09:22 PM
another cool place is homestead, pa. which is just a few minutes outside of pittsburgh. it's the site of a famous steel strike where steelworkers got into an armed fight with guards and 11 people ended up dead. also, home to the homestead grays which is one of the most famous negro league teams.

they ripped all that shit out, now it's a big shopping area.

Art Vandelay
11-18-2008, 09:30 PM
it's not surprising that you are into steel towns since you see a form of the steel logo pounding both of your state's football teams year in and year out

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/2a/Steelmark_logo.png

Olive Oil Goombah
11-18-2008, 09:34 PM
lol...very nice, but i could give a shite what happens down in cincy....anywhere outside of Northeast Ohio is like another region. We have more in common with W. PA than SE Ohio...

But as it stand, and even as hard as Cleveland has fallen, Pittsburgh still aint on our level. So we let you have a few football games here and there....
And besides, these aint the real Browns. The real Browns are in Baltimore.

Art Vandelay
11-18-2008, 09:37 PM
and they had to move there to become a championship team... are you apart of that begging website to get cowher to come to cleveland

Olive Oil Goombah
11-18-2008, 09:41 PM
truthfully, i mean im a Browns fan for life, but I'm not maniacally crazy about them like the rest of Cleveland is.
I'm put most of my energy into Ohio State football, the Tribe and the Cavs.....I don't expect much out of the Browns ever since they came back, i haven't gotten into them like i used to. I dont like the new stadium, the new owners, the coaches. I dont like the new shit they did to the uniforms, unnoticeable to a non Browns fan but noticeable to us. I dont like the orange ass seats at the stadium...

I just dont like any of he choices they have made with the team, since they came back.
The stadium is the most awful, lame, piece of asian looking new age trash ever.
They shoulda made that shit outta fucking brick.

Its not the same....i dont kno that u would understand.

Art Vandelay
11-18-2008, 09:45 PM
well, what do they have to work with. they name of the team is browns and that is the color of the fucking uniforms. how do you make the color of poop look pretty.

as far as the stadium goes, never been there, but i feel the same way about heinz field. it is no 3 rivers stadium.

pnc park is a great place to watch baseball, as long as you aren't a pirates fan.

Olive Oil Goombah
11-18-2008, 09:50 PM
Yea, but Heinz field is dope...i mean i think its better than 3 Rivers. 3 rivers was one of those cookie cutter stadiums, they all looked the same.

Heres the older uni's....I was actually at this game. When Metcalf returned 2 punts. Anyway, the stripes on the side were different, the stripe on the sleeve is smaller, and the socks are different. all better.
http://www.steelertribute.com/metcalf.jpg

Now the new ones...i dont like.
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c262/yellowdaisie/winslow-edwards-cleveland-browns-1.jpg

check two
11-18-2008, 09:58 PM
I'm not that far from Wilkes Barre. Have you heard of Centralia, PA?

I like the color brown. I think it gets a bad rap. Yeah, it's the color of dooky. But you can come up with something unflattering for just about any color. They should make more brown colored cars.

Olive Oil Goombah
11-18-2008, 10:01 PM
Never heard of Centralia....please, tell me of Wilkes-Barre..i know like 17% of its population is under the poverty level...is it that bad?

Art Vandelay
11-18-2008, 10:02 PM
i was at the final original browns-steeler game in pittsugh... from what i remember, we kicked you ass

Olive Oil Goombah
11-18-2008, 10:03 PM
hmm....i dont remember. All i kno is that i was the only person in Cleveland who thught Belichek was a god.....
..turns out i was right.

Art Vandelay
11-18-2008, 10:18 PM
although i did sit through terry glenn burning pitt for 4 touchdowns and 253 yards in a game at pitt stadium in 1995. that was miserbale.

Olive Oil Goombah
11-18-2008, 10:44 PM
yea...i think the final was 76-0? Thats why Mark May is such a hater.

Art Vandelay
11-18-2008, 10:47 PM
yea...i think the final was 76-0? Thats why Mark May is such a hater.

lol, i wish it was...no, it was the following year that ohio st. beat pitt 72-0

Olive Oil Goombah
11-18-2008, 10:59 PM
Im sorry for your loss as much as i did enjoy it.
Terry Glenn was a pimp.