PDA

View Full Version : what and who exactly are moors?

Mic Tyson
11-25-2008, 05:13 PM
what exaclty is the definition of a moor? and was noble drew ali correct in his definition or did he just make shit up? and where did they originate? were they black or arab?

TSA
11-25-2008, 06:40 PM
the moors are a blanket term made up by white people to classify north africans. they're arab and black for the most part, the further north the araber, no african tribe classifies themselves as Moors, though its now the name of ppl from morrocco and Mauritania.

idk what noble drew ali said about them.

they originate from a mix of places. Arabia, Sudan and the fact that the Sahara desert used to be the most populated place on earth before rapid desertification.
a lot of african cultures had there origins there.

anyways yeah, for more information look up the Tuareg, Moorocan, Fulani, Wolof, Mande, Mandinka, and others

dawood
11-26-2008, 09:07 AM
it was a trip to morocco that actually resulted in my conversion to Islam. They are called moors because they came up through moroocco and invaded spain. They are very datrk arabs and they are a cross in teh middle of arabs and blacks and some look more arab and some look more black. Very nice people MashAllah

drippie k
11-26-2008, 02:19 PM
they invaded southern spain a long time ago n took over the south for a few hundred years and were run out of the country just before columbus sailed out...i know a few moors, theyre pretty crazy but they sell the best hash...but for some reason, they like sniffing glue more than smoking

spain and morocco pretty much hate eachother still..they almost got into war with eachother over an inhabitable giant rock in the middle of the straight between the 2 countries a few years back

Mic Tyson
11-26-2008, 02:22 PM
i was jus wonerin cuz i think drew ali says that black people in america are moors. and he also said that ireland was apart of the moorish empire.

Big Risk
11-26-2008, 02:22 PM
read any shakespear and you will understand what a moor is.

I remember back in Highschool one of my blacks friend names was Joey Moore. Guess what name I called him by in an english accent all the time?!

HANZO
11-26-2008, 03:54 PM
You cant determine the Moors as a specific race, cause it was a combination of different races. Most Moorish Sultans were Berber/Arab. Blacks made up the vast population of the Moorish population. They were only called Moors because the ppl that were part of the empire had darker skin than the Spanish.

TSA
11-26-2008, 05:19 PM
The Moors that took over spain were the Almoravid dynasty/empire of morrocco.
They were black, hence the term Moor meaning a black person from a good degree of time, but they weren't brought to america as slaves cause it would be inconveniant due to geography and the politics of colonialism

DUMBO
11-26-2008, 08:30 PM
moors are sand-jews. that's all i know.

drippie k
11-26-2008, 11:27 PM
moors are muslim

there was a black guy in my spanish class in 7th grade named steven moore...we made of him a lot 2nd semester

whitey
11-27-2008, 10:22 AM
its the MOOPS YOU FOOLS!!!

dawood
11-27-2008, 10:27 AM
wot u on about?

tajeco
11-27-2008, 02:04 PM
its the MOOPS YOU FOOLS!!!

Yeah. Isn't that why Costanza got into a fight with Bubbleboy? (the original, not Jake Gyllenhal, even though that it is one decent movie)

Civilison
11-27-2008, 02:32 PM
onlinedocumentaries4u.com has a good documentary on the afrikan/arab/spanish moors and how they have influenced european culture as they flourished with their own advancements back in the 1500-1700s? im not sure peep the web site look for it.

Edgar Erebus
11-27-2008, 05:41 PM
I'ma look for it, but dates you wrote are surely wrong. By 1500 Moors were already irrelevant to European culture.

Otherwise TSA put the definition of it pretty well, just a bit too strict. It was an umbrella term for all brown skinned people (word comes from "moro", which means "brown" in old Italian), sorta like "black" is now. More politically correct term, in most places, was Saracens. As those that came into contact with Euros were coming from Northern Africa they were Muslims.

Europe had a quite love/hate relationship with them, they were viewed as sworn enemies but at the same time Euro chivalry was VERY (with all caps) influenced with their ways, as they were much more clean, polite and noble than those "knights" who were sure that bathing more than once a year causes red and weak skin.

Civilison
11-27-2008, 09:35 PM
I'ma look for it, but dates you wrote are surely wrong. By 1500 Moors were already irrelevant to European culture.

yeah no doubt. i looked it up by 1450 the moors were out of spain. pz