PDA

View Full Version : Why do you bother with this?

Ghost In The 'Lac
12-01-2008, 08:24 AM
this is rapping at all, its just a form of poetry. Rap has nothing to do with the written word. Its all abotu how you say something, how you deliver a line, where you stop, where you follow the beat, how you bounce along to the beat, what tone you use, going up and down.....etc etc

non of this can be seen when its just written down. Rap is not about how well you can write down a verse. In fact it prbably on ly has about 10% to do with it.

notice in this song for example:

uRHjVdFITtc

you gotta click here -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3PgZ9bqShc

Notice how at 3:10 Bun B makes something as simple as - "easy as abc, simple as 123, get down with UGK, pimp c and B-u-n-b" sound FUCKING ILLY simply because of how he said it.

In fact the whole of this song deads this whole sub forum, all the rappers example how you really flow, non of what they do could be explained in text.

Tyler Durden
12-01-2008, 11:38 AM
The vid aint woring.

I know what you men though.

Like when BIG spells his name.

On paper it looks like

B.I.G.P.O.P.P.A

But whe it's spat at you, it sounds a hell of a lot better

THE MASON
12-01-2008, 12:05 PM
Why do you bother comin and viewing?

nobody is forcing you to read or come into the subforum, we do it cuz we want to, and once you know the person lyrics your reading you pick up a flow. well the more astute will

Ghost In The 'Lac
12-01-2008, 12:20 PM
^i dont come in here, this is the first time. And youre wrong, you cant pick up flows from writing on a screen. If you think that you dont study rap hard enough.

I made this thread for that exact reason I read in one of the threads someone saying that the last poster had great "flow", and i shook my head.

the video i was talking about -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3PgZ9bqShc

Ritter
12-01-2008, 03:32 PM
Dude, if you can't write rhymes, stay out of this section.

Go to Audio Booth if you care so much. A lot of quality shit is just lying there, waiting to be heard.

Tecknowledgist
12-01-2008, 03:41 PM
many of us can see the flow
and if you can't, that just makes what you say even more important.

Tecknowledgist
12-01-2008, 03:42 PM
btw you say "just a form of poetry" like its a bad thing

Ritter
12-01-2008, 03:47 PM
He obviously thinks we just hit keys on a keyboard so they come out like words that rhyme. I for one, always rap the whole verse when I write it, and if I find some parts clunky, I just re-do them.

If you can't see the flow, you should probably stick to listening to Weezy.

Prince Rai
12-01-2008, 03:57 PM
He obviously thinks we just hit keys on a keyboard so they come out like words that rhyme. I for one, always rap the whole verse when I write it, and if I find some parts clunky, I just re-do them.

If you can't see the flow, you should probably stick to listening to Weezy.

same here...

at the end of the day, most worthwhile to rap rappers write down their jewels in order to study and elevate their verses.

the good rymers can write verses that WILL adapt to a solid flow and ryme which will sound just as hard hitting as the words written.

Ghost In The 'Lac
12-01-2008, 04:17 PM
yeah most rappers type that shit into their phones first, or write it whatever, but thats not the verse right there, its only the foundation. they then work out how to say each line after.

Plus if you really knew about rapping you would know that writing it down ISNT the first step. Youve gotta get the flow in your head first of all from the beat. If you dont have a beat to a rhyme the verse is pointless.

You should call this the "Coffee Shop Spoken Word" sub forum or something. Because thats all that it is.

Prince Rai
12-01-2008, 04:21 PM
why would you assume how we write our verses. you dont know shit about how we prepare our stuff/where we get our inspirations/the beats we listen to/the time we spend improving our rymes/saying the verses aloud before clicking "reply"...

this forum has been here for a while and has seen many wucorp greats bless this side of the world. just because YOU dont get it, does not mean it will change for YOU. try a petition, 99.9% it won't work.

Ghost In The 'Lac
12-01-2008, 04:42 PM
no need to get heated. but just admit its not rap, its spoken word. its not even spoken word though, because we cant hear you. so its just written poetry of some weird type based on rap lyrics.

Prince Rai
12-01-2008, 04:59 PM
no need to get heated. but just admit its not rap, its spoken word. its not even spoken word though, because we cant hear you. so its just written poetry of some weird type based on rap lyrics.

ayt.

not fussed lol.

if you dont like it, lets not worry about it.

Ritter
12-01-2008, 05:05 PM
Canibus first writes his shit down lol, he wrote the whole Poet Laureate Infinity (That's like 1000 bars) on paper in Hell's Kitchen.

But that's another matter.

I personally think it's dope just reading what someone put down in rhyme.

Tecknowledgist
12-01-2008, 05:08 PM
well at least he's making legitimate statements instead of coming in here and bashing it aimlessly. props for being civilized

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meter_(poetry)

"From inside of the womb, 'til the time of my doom
When I lie in a tomb, in the light of the moon"

check the syllable stress

.....from............in-...........side............of.............the..... .....womb
unstressed, unstressed, STRESSED, unstressed, unstressed, STRESSED

the form i used there is called anapaestic tetrameter. since a beat has four beats to the measure, and i used a tetrameter (four foots) it lines up to the beat. one foot per beat

since we all have a very good understading of 4/4 timing in music (its the only timing hip hop uses), all you need is a basic understanding of poetic meter to "see the flow" in somebody's paragraphs. even if you dont know what all the shit is called, if you can see syllable stress and length, you can piece it together. its second nature though mostly

Ghost In The 'Lac
12-01-2008, 05:10 PM
yeah it is good to read (@ Shizzer), im not against it, im just saying about rap. I like some canibus, i got that poet laeurete album (the one with stoupe producing allof it) and I know he does that because hes always adding that MIC club shit in hsi albums sleeve

some peeps may not realise but im big into poetry actually, not love poetry philoshophical peotry, so im not against it, im just sayin nnaaaaameeann kid!

Guarded By Martyrs
12-01-2008, 05:17 PM
btw you say "just a form of poetry" like its a bad thing

For real...poetry is a wonderful artform.

yeah most rappers type that shit into their phones first, or write it whatever, but thats not the verse right there, its only the foundation. they then work out how to say each line after.

Plus if you really knew about rapping you would know that writing it down ISNT the first step. Youve gotta get the flow in your head first of all from the beat. If you dont have a beat to a rhyme the verse is pointless.

You should call this the "Coffee Shop Spoken Word" sub forum or something. Because thats all that it is.

Not every single Emcee/Rapper has the same formula...
I usually write doen some lines, recite them as a spoken word...
Then bulk it up, play a beat, yes GHOSTALCED a beat and spit it over the beat.
Altering the "FLOW" due to the beat.
And yes after a while you begin to see patterns with each individual
Of course you can't hear them speaking it, but you get an insight of that person's style.

I thought R.A.P. stood for "Rhythm And Poetry" and that is what I'm doing.
I've always seen written rhymes as the blueprint.

Lyrics is why I listen to Hip-Hop.

Ghost In The 'Lac
12-01-2008, 05:22 PM
^see you listen because of lyrics, I listen for feeling, emotion, and flow. I dont particulary care what they are saying actually. I used to alot, from the ages of 15-20 I hated Jeezys and southern rap.

But i like the odd clever wordplay thrown into each verse, and personally you all hate on Weezy, but no one else is as easy with the wordplay as him, like it or not, thats what I beleive and im not new to this shit, ive been listenenig to all types of hip hop for many years. I know a talent when I hear it.

Prince Rai
12-01-2008, 05:42 PM
^see you listen because of lyrics, I listen for feeling, emotion, and flow. I dont particulary care what they are saying actually. I used to alot, from the ages of 15-20 I hated Jeezys and southern rap.

But i like the odd clever wordplay thrown into each verse, and personally you all hate on Weezy, but no one else is as easy with the wordplay as him, like it or not, thats what I beleive and im not new to this shit, ive been listenenig to all types of hip hop for many years. I know a talent when I hear it.

i do get your main point, its just the way how it seems like youre downgrading our work on here. it deserves respect because it does mirrors rap at LEAST.

Peace