PDA

View Full Version : ? about dialect in Europe

prrra718
12-03-2008, 03:50 PM
do people in europe really use east-coast slang and termanology off the computer? do they pronounce shit with north-east "accents?" how big of an impact has hiphop made over there with speech? is it frowned upon if they do? do europeans not have their own slang and termanology?..

TSA
12-03-2008, 03:56 PM
i was wondering the same, the do have their own slang and termanology though, like saying the word cunt alot, and most americans feel grossed out saying it or that it's 'too much' lol

but i see them say stuff or talk about stuff and im like 'how do you get that?' or how they listen to wutang songs without being like what the fuck? let alone knowing what they're talking about

how are you gonna speak italian and listen to english rap that ppl who speak english hardly understand

11th Chamber
12-03-2008, 04:00 PM
i was wondering the same, the do have their own slang and termanology though, like saying the word cunt alot, and most americans feel grossed out saying it or that it's 'too much' lol

yea I never really understood that

Sean
12-03-2008, 04:00 PM
Lol, I'm from UK and I've wondered this too about some people on here. I talk on here how I talk in real life, and I don't really use any east coast slang or dialects or whatever. Only things I say are words like "ill" lol, that's about as far as it goes.

People aren't "frowned upon" but if they take it too far then they just get laughed at, like Tim Westwood. That's a tiny minority though, you gotta remember that this is a Wu Tang forum.

And of course we have our own slang, you don't see it used on here too often though cause people wouldn't get it. Americans here even laugh at the word "mate" (meaning friend) when I use it lol, so I just leave most the English slang off of here

Edit: The word cunt isn't as bad over here as it is in the US. It's still considered like one of the worst words but its not that bad any more.

11th Chamber
12-03-2008, 04:02 PM
I always found how ass is said "arse", kinda odd

"Dude check out that girls arse"

"give me 5 minutes, she'll give up the arse"

TSA
12-03-2008, 04:03 PM
^AHahahaHAHAHAHH! yeah, i hate that term to
that shit just sounds unattractive...arse.

theodore roosevelt tried to get the entire english language changed to 'american' lol(cause he was a bad speller). It was just spelling things tey way they sound, it didn't catch on as a whole but some words got changed like drive THRU and Color , and it explains the differences in american and british spelling, so i think that's where ass and arse came to be

seperating the english from the dutch

also i wonder how technician listens to wutang, he hardly speaks english himself, wtf?
i heard so super dope polish rap, but i couldn't get into it cause i had no clue what was going on.

HANZO
12-03-2008, 04:09 PM
i speak with a thick Russian accent, so i find the east coast slang a bit strange so i use the west coast slang. its much much better.

Ghost In The 'Lac
12-03-2008, 04:13 PM

Nah man!!

Not everyone here says arse, i def dont, it sounds fucking stupid!

Alot of slang in my city is based on Jamaican cus most black ppl here are from west indian parantage, like you call house a yard, bad meaning good, . but we use alot of similar word like skeezer and shit. english in england is sounding more like american every year imo

drippie k
12-03-2008, 04:21 PM
a lot of people in europe who don't speak or understand english listen to american rap...they dont understand it so they focus on flow n delivery..but i would say that european hip-hop was more influenced by east coast rap than any other...i dunno how it is in other european countries but in spain, every once in a while, you'll hear someone who's image and sound was influenced by the south...

TSA
12-03-2008, 04:23 PM
lmao, dirty south spaniards?

a must hear.

HANZO
12-03-2008, 04:25 PM
my mind cant process the thought of a dirty south Spaniard. its jus too much.

drippie k
12-03-2008, 04:35 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sn2jX7f_9nU
Spanish Fly - Mi Gorra Es Mi Corona (my hat is my crown)

this is his newer shit, the only song i actually like...he had a group a few years back with another dude called Triple XXX and that shit was real tight

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JX02FwhC6A&feature=related
Nosotros Lo Tenemos (we got it)

same dude, this ones an actual video...not feelin it at all

TSA
12-03-2008, 04:51 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/2/2d/Calliphora_head_2.jpg/456px-Calliphora_head_2.jpg (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/2d/Calliphora_head_2.jpg)

Jet Set
12-03-2008, 04:55 PM
I chat on here like how I talk to wu-tang in my dreams

cap
12-03-2008, 05:09 PM
i speak with a thick Russian accent, so i find the east coast slang a bit strange so i use the west coast slang. its much much better.

a turk with a russian accent?? wtf??

and this thread only applies to great-britain,cus it would be even more ridiculous for people who dont use english in everyday life to out of nowhere say 'son' or something after every sentence...lol

Shogah
12-03-2008, 05:10 PM
' or how they listen to wutang songs without being like what the fuck? let alone knowing what they're talking about
how are you gonna speak italian and listen to english rap that ppl who speak english hardly understand

That is the whole magic.
I heard The W first time like in age of 13. And i hardly understood anything although i knew english very well at that age. But somehow I always knew that they are on the much higher level than anything that was played on the tv at the time.

Also i learned much of wu slang by spending time on this forum.

Shogah
12-03-2008, 05:13 PM
since i'm posting here i got used to following expressions that i would never used before when speaking to someone in real life:

ill(when describing something), wack(this song is wack), banger(and this one is straight banger), douche bag(my favourite).

SKANK HILL
12-03-2008, 05:54 PM
cunt is too real for americans ... it's the greatest word ever ... come to australia and cunt has many meanings

"yeah this cunt over here, been me mate for donkeys years"

europeans don't have slang ... they just listen to american music and watch denzel washington movies and roll from there

australian slang > earth

oh and new zealanders are the worst ... they seriously are australia's answer to canada except they steal everything from america and jamaica ...

12-04-2008, 07:20 PM
cunt is too real for americans ... it's the greatest word ever ... come to australia and cunt has many meanings

europeans don't have slang ... they just listen to american music and watch denzel washington movies and roll from there

australian slang > earth

oh and new zealanders are the worst ... they seriously are australia's answer to canada except they steal everything from america and jamaica ...

Fash and Chaps LOL

DJMethods
12-04-2008, 07:25 PM

Just so ya know, "ass" is actually a donkey.

It always amused me when USAians say "I'll fuck that ass so hard", beastiality n shit.

Olive Oil Goombah
12-04-2008, 07:29 PM

australian slang > earth

yea....cunt is like almost as taboo as nigger nowadays in the states.

pe0ple gasp and shit when you say it. hahah

Dokuro
12-04-2008, 07:33 PM
and what with calling cookie--biskits all your fucking english suck its like its broken or somthing

you know what that what im guna call it broken-english or brekwish

Future
12-04-2008, 07:34 PM
This is why I like bein a midwest kid...

I blend the east, west, and south into what I say...

Olive Oil Goombah
12-04-2008, 07:36 PM
a turk with a russian accent?? wtf??

and this thread only applies to great-britain,cus it would be even more ridiculous for people who dont use english in everyday life to out of nowhere say 'son' or something after every sentence...lol

'son' is an east coast thing for sure. Cleveland blacks don't say it.

East coasters also substitute sh for the s sound...ex. Shigarette for cigarette. Boshton, for Boston. wushup for wussup, shun for son
Tony Soprano demonstrates this accent as well. Have a listen next time watch an episode.

Olive Oil Goombah
12-04-2008, 07:38 PM
This is why I like bein a midwest kid...

I blend the east, west, and south into what I say...

midwest has different accents tho.....the chicago accent. In Cleveland, we have accents when compared to people from other areas of Ohio who have more of a rural accent. Its weird,but people notice it right away.

Also, most places say soda. We call it pop. But people from ohio outside of cleveland say pawp.

SKANK HILL
12-04-2008, 09:29 PM
yea....cunt is like almost as taboo as nigger nowadays in the states.

pe0ple gasp and shit when you say it. hahah

lol ... i just got back from an adventure to the city where i bumped inot a mate of mine i haven't seen in a while ... i was going down the escalator and he was going up ... so he yells out

'WHAT THE FUCKS GOIN ON CUNT?'

lol no one cared

cunt is like ... THE word in australia i love it ... i couldn't handle being somewhere where cunt is like frowned upon ...

now that i think about it ... i've been calling friends "cunts" since i was 9 lol

11th Chamber
12-04-2008, 09:31 PM
Just so ya know, "ass" is actually a donkey.

It always amused me when USAians say "I'll fuck that ass so hard", beastiality n shit.

I dont care what u say

Arse sounds goofy as fuck

And I wouldent take someone seriously if they said it in front of me

Olive Oil Goombah
12-04-2008, 09:31 PM
i've called a few girls cunts before and tht shit is no joke. Luckily,they werent the violent types. one was an ex....and im still friends with her, and to this day, she hasn't forgotten it.

SKANK HILL
12-04-2008, 09:36 PM
haha girls get all "OMG DID HE SAY CUNT?" haha but i say it anyway ...

EAGLE EYE
12-04-2008, 09:39 PM
US chicks lose it over the word cunt.

not the canadian sluts though, they find it empowering

drippie k
12-05-2008, 01:04 AM

australian slang > earth

europeans have slang but not in english

cunt is weird i could never see myself saying that to someone..unless i was imitating a british guy

british people call cigarettes "fags"....figured that one out on a trip to gibralter...dude laughed n explained it to me after i just kinda stood there lookin at him all funny after he asked me for one

12-05-2008, 01:58 AM
Poles have their slang, but it's hard to translate into english. But when using the English language, Poles are mostly influenced by east-coast slang(me for example) and nowadays by the British and Irish slang also due to the enormous work-emigration to the islands.

PEACE

Durag
12-05-2008, 03:43 AM
Yea lots of people use 'arse' here too, but i think its a fuckin stupid word, i never use it either.

I dont think anyone trys to use newyork dialect here, theyd just be laughed at. We've enough different accents here that noone needs to. From Dublin, Sligo, Cork, Galway, Donegal, Belfast etc every place has its own accent and slang. If i drive only an hour north i come to Donegal and i cant even make out what their saying coz they've such a thick accent. And if i drive a few hours south ill get to Cork and have a good laugh at their retarded sounding accents.

And i dont think the sterotypical irish accent that you see in movies is actually spoken anywere in the country. I dont know why thats associtaed with ireland at all.

We say 'cunt' quite a lot here too.

Tyler Durden
12-05-2008, 04:06 AM
Yeah, using 'cunt' down the pub is as normal as 'and'
Also, if your in the middle of a sentance and cant think of your nexr word, 'fucking' gets thrown in there.

I say arse, i only say 'ass' when Im fucking about. (I should kick yo' ass in the head - Chris Tucker - Money Talks)

I have used some sad slang on this forum though. Not pretending to be American but writing it down. Im trying to quit though, Ive got patches and everything.
My wife rips the piss out of me calling me American

(I don't know how to trasnlate 'taking the piss' into American)

Good question though, this is what gen chat should be about. This and YouTube videos of Nas getting felt up.

SKANK HILL
12-05-2008, 04:08 AM
i hate having to explain "taking the piss" to people ...

Durag
12-05-2008, 04:29 AM
Also, if your in the middle of a sentance and cant think of your nexr word, 'fucking' gets thrown in there.

Yea, ive noticed myself doing that too. A lot of times curses would make up nearly 50% of sentences.

And yeah, i hate explainin taking the piss too.

drippie k
12-05-2008, 04:49 AM
dammit now i'm curious...what the fuck is taking the piss?? sounds like it would be taking a piss but i doubt its the same isnt it...

i think its the same in every country...you go to the north side and they speak different than people from the east ya know??

in spain, the southerners, like in america, are considered like hicks or whatever cuz theres a lot of fields n farms n really small towns, but they also have big cities (sevilla, malaga, granada, cadiz, etc..) in cadiz (my hometown) we say "pisha" which would be like "dude" in the US or "mate" in the UK...but it literally means penis...pretty much, we call eachother penis..but we dont think about it that way when we use it in conversation..dont ask me how it happened, nobody knows...in malaga, they say "monstruo" when callin eachother "dude"...which translates to "monster" and in sevilla they say "socio" which means "partner" or "associate"

also, once you leave the south, the north has a really thick accent...they tend to pronounce every single letter in the word and talk really fast..for example, the word "parece" which they pronounce "paretheh"...in the south we just say "pae" pronounced "pa-eh"...which is prolly why northerners consider us lazy...also, they add a lisp to some words..."socio" they'd pronounce it "sothio" where in the south they say "sosio"

its really wierd...and in the canaries for example, the word "muchacho" (another word for boy), they pronounce it "muyayo"...they do their ch's really funny

southerners are also known to be louder, more open minded and friendlier than northerners who we consider cold, serious and very work orientated, although i've partied in barcelona and they're pretty crazy compared to the rest of the northerners

Durag
12-05-2008, 04:57 AM
Yea, i get ya, same thing in Ireland. Its funny how just an hours drive away people will have a completly different accent that i cant even understand at times. Yea the west over here people are though of as hicks, or culchies, or buffs as their called here.

The Dublin accent is very strong - "O'il fookin knoock yar bleeedin head of ya fookin priiiiick. Fookin suoumbag, oim from dooublin yar a coulchi alla yous counts"

They really pronounce the o's and drag out their words. You should head a thick Cork accent though. Its the joke of the country ive never heard a more rediculous accet in my life.

Taking the piss is just fuckin about, slagging somebody, or making a joke about them "taking the piss out of them"

begongo
12-05-2008, 05:07 AM
I just want to say that the thread starter is a clot eating retard for thinking europe has a common slang or accent or whatever

and to answer the question, I learnt 90% of my english from movies and hip hop, so basically it's the only english I know, I only started learning proper english last week at uni

drippie k
12-05-2008, 05:08 AM
ahhh ok i get the idea more or less..

yeah some people that are actually hicks in southern spain, small towns like olvera n shit like that, they do not pronounce there "S" at all in any word...normal people from the city would say "se supone" (supposedly) and they'd say "he huponeee"...they drag their words out, its typical in the south but the actual lazy hicks, or "catetos" do it aaalllllll the time, city folk do it to exagerate

"fuckin fag"
"what did you just call me?"
"haha im just taking the piss"

like that??

Durag
12-05-2008, 05:13 AM
Yea, you pretty much got it

And the way everyone used to be at Skamp for being fat, we used to all be taking the piss out of him.

RIINØ
12-05-2008, 09:28 AM
when i speak to people from south-deutschland i can only understand like 25% of what theyre sayin, the only south-deutschlander i understand is the kaiser franz beckenbauer

SKANK HILL
12-05-2008, 09:47 AM
PROFESSOR RINO FEARS PHILIPP LAHM

RIINØ
12-05-2008, 10:08 AM
lahm is wack @ slangin, hes one of these new generation kids, they learn deutsch from schoolbooks n shit, whereas most deutschlanders learned slang from travelling through european battlefields

drippie k
12-05-2008, 05:04 PM
man, i've been to several parts of germany and they all sound exactly the same

Olive Oil Goombah
12-05-2008, 05:06 PM
basque

Jet Set
12-05-2008, 06:18 PM
wir haben es nicht gewusst

ich mohcte gerne meiner fahrrad zuruck

Olive Oil Goombah
12-05-2008, 06:30 PM
ich lieb ist und achtung steinen

SKANK HILL
12-05-2008, 07:18 PM
lahm is wack @ slangin, hes one of these new generation kids, they learn deutsch from schoolbooks n shit, whereas most deutschlanders learned slang from travelling through european battlefields

tim wiese is great at giving interviews ... straight forward, swears casually and doesn't give a fuck

drippie k
12-05-2008, 11:01 PM
basque
people are crazy thinking they'd survive a seperation

Olive Oil Goombah
12-06-2008, 09:13 AM
there origins are highly mysterious

RIINØ
12-06-2008, 11:39 AM
man, i've been to several parts of germany and they all sound exactly the same

no they dont

we have 3 different jargons here: bayrisch (down south), sächsisch (north-east), kölsch (west) ...and regular schoolbook german ofcourse

me, i speak perfectly kölsch, but foreign people who just learn regular german can neever understand the 3 dialects i listed

Cee Oh Vee
12-06-2008, 11:44 AM
here in Birmingham we got our own slang.. i mean, we use some slang from London etc, but like the guys i know dont really say words like 'mate' and stuff..

if i was to use the slang from down here you guys wouldn't understand though some of the slang we use is inevitably American..

drippie k
12-06-2008, 05:02 PM
there origins are highly mysterious
they claim to be the original europeans and that the weird mixture of sounds they use to communicate is the oldest language in europe....buuuuuut theyre part of spain and the region would go completely to hell if ETA got their way and seperated

KERZO
12-07-2008, 05:05 AM
ok heres an english language history lesson for the dudes that don't have a scooby -

English is a Germanic Language of the Indo-European Family (http://www.krysstal.com/langfams_indoeuro.html). It is the second most spoken language in the world.
It is estimated that there are 300 million native speakers and 300 million who use English as a second language and a further 100 million use it as a foreign language. It is the language of science, aviation, computing, diplomacy, and tourism. It is listed as the official or co-official language of over 45 countries and is spoken extensively in other countries where it has no official status. English plays a part in the cultural, political or economic life of the following countries. Majority English speaking populations are shown in bold.
Antigua
Australia
Bahamas
Barbados
Belize
Bermuda
Botswana
Brunei (with Malay)
Cameroon (with French)
Canada (with French)
Dominica
Fiji
Gambia
Ghana
Grenada
Guyana
India (with several Indian languages)
Ireland (with Irish Gaelic)
Jamaica
Kenya (with Swahili)
Kiribati
Lesotho (with Sotho)
Liberia
Malawi (with Chewa)
Malta (with Maltese)
Mauritius
Namibia (with Afrikaans)
Nauru (with Nauruan)
New Zealand
Nigeria
Pakistan (with Urdu)
Papua New Guinea
Philippines (with Tagalog)
Puerto Rico (with Spanish)
St Christopher and Nevis
St Lucia
St Vincent
Senegal (with French)
Seychelles (with French)
Sierra Leone
Singapore (with Malay, Mandarin and Tamil)
South Africa (with Afrikaans, Xhosa and Zulu)
Surinam (with Dutch)
Swaziland (with Swazi)
Tanzania (with Swahili)
Tonga (with Tongan)
Trinidad and Tobago
Tuvalu
Uganda
United Kingdom and its dependences
United States of America and its dependencies
Vanatu (with French)
Western Samoa (with Samoan)
Zambia
ZimbabweThis compares to 27 for French, 20 for Spanish and 17 for Arabic. This domination is unique in history. Speakers of languages like French, Spanish and Arabic may disagree, but English is on its way to becoming the world's unofficial international language. Mandarin (Chinese) is spoken by more people, but English is now the most widespread of the world's languages.
Half of all business deals are conducted in English. Two thirds of all scientific papers are written in English. Over 70% of all post / mail is written and addressed in English. Most international tourism, aviation and diplomacy is conducted in English.

The history of the language can be traced back to the arrival of three Germanic tribes to the British Isles during the 5th Century AD. Angles, Saxons and Jutes crossed the North Sea from what is the present day Denmark and northern Germany. The inhabitants of Britain previously spoke a Celtic language. This was quickly displaced. Most of the Celtic speakers were pushed into Wales, Cornwall and Scotland. One group migrated to the Brittany Coast of France where their descendants still speak the Celtic Language of Breton today. The Angles were named from Engle, their land of origin. Their language was called Englisc from which the word, English derives.
An Anglo-Saxon inscription dated between 450 and 480AD is the oldest sample of the English language.
During the next few centuries four dialects of English developed:
Northumbrian in Northumbria, north of the Humber
Mercian in the Kingdom of Mercia
West Saxon in the Kingdom of Wessex
Kentish in KentDuring the 7th and 8th Centuries, Northumbria's culture and language dominated Britain. The Viking invasions of the 9th Century brought this domination to an end (along with the destruction of Mercia). Only Wessex remained as an independent kingdom. By the 10th Century, the West Saxon dialect became the official language of Britain. Written Old English is mainly known from this period. It was written in an alphabet called Runic (http://www.krysstal.com/writing_runic.html), derived from the Scandinavian languages. The Latin (http://www.krysstal.com/writing_latin.html) Alphabet was brought over from Ireland by Christian missionaries. This has remained the writing system of English. At this time, the vocabulary of Old English consisted of an Anglo Saxon base with borrowed words from the Scandinavian languages (Danish and Norse) and Latin. Latin gave English words like street, kitchen, kettle, cup, cheese, wine, angel, bishop, martyr, candle. The Vikings added many Norse words: sky, egg, cake, skin, leg, window (wind eye), husband, fellow, skill, anger, flat, odd, ugly, get, give, take, raise, call, die, they, their, them. Celtic words also survived mainly in place and river names (Devon, Dover, Kent, Trent, Severn, Avon, Thames).
Many pairs of English and Norse words coexisted giving us two words with the same or slightly differing meanings. Examples below.

Norse English angerwrath nayno frofrom raiserear illsick baskbathe skillcraft skinhide dikeditch skirtshirt scattershatter skipshift
In 1066 the Normans conquered Britain. French became the language of the Norman aristocracy and added more vocabulary to English. More pairs of similar words arose.

French English closeshut replyanswer odoursmell annualyearly demandask chamberroom desirewish powermight irewrath / anger
Because the English underclass cooked for the Norman upper class, the words for most domestic animals are English (ox, cow, calf, sheep, swine, deer) while the words for the meats derived from them are French (beef, veal, mutton, pork, bacon, venison).
The Germanic form of plurals (house, housen; shoe, shoen) was eventually displaced by the French method of making plurals: adding an s (house, houses; shoe, shoes). Only a few words have retained their Germanic plurals: men, oxen, feet, teeth, children.
French also affected spelling so that the cw sound came to be written as qu (eg. cween became queen).
It wasn't till the 14th Century that English became dominant in Britain again. In 1399, King Henry IV became the first king of England since the Norman Conquest whose mother tongue was English. By the end of the 14th Century, the dialect of London had emerged as the standard dialect of what we now call Middle English. Chaucer wrote in this language.
Modern English began around the 16th Century and, like all languages, is still changing. One change occurred when the th of some verb forms became s (loveth, loves: hath, has). auxiliary verbs also changed (he is risen, he has risen).

The historical influence of language in the British Isles can best be seen in place names and their derivations.
Examples include ac (as in Acton, Oakwood) which is Anglo-Saxon for oak; by (as in Whitby) is Old Norse for farm or village; pwll (as in Liverpool) is Welsh for anchorage; baile (as in Balmoral) is Gaelic for farm or village; ceaster (as in Lancaster) is Latin for fort.

Since the 16th Century, because of the contact that the British had with many peoples from around the world, and the Renaissance of Classical learning, many words have entered the language either directly or indirectly. New words were created at an increasing rate. Shakespeare coined over 1600 words. This process has grown exponentially in the modern era.
Borrowed words include names of animals (giraffe, tiger, zebra), clothing (pyjama, turban, shawl), food (spinach, chocolate, orange), scientific and mathematical terms (algebra, geography, species), drinks (tea, coffee, cider), religious terms (Jesus, Islam, nirvana), sports (checkmate, golf, billiards), vehicles (chariot, car, coach), music and art (piano, theatre, easel), weapons (pistol, trigger, rifle), political and military terms (commando, admiral, parliament), and astronomical names (Saturn, Leo, Uranus).
Languages that have contributed words to English include Latin, Greek, French, German, Arabic, Hindi (from India), Italian, Malay, Dutch, Farsi (from Iran and Afghanistan), Nahuatl (the Aztec language), Sanskrit (from ancient India), Portuguese, Spanish, Tupi (from South America) and Ewe (from Africa).
The list of borrowed words (http://www.krysstal.com/borrow.html) is enormous.
The vocabulary of English is the largest of any language.
Even with all these borrowings the heart of the language remains the Anglo-Saxon of Old English. Only about 5000 or so words from this period have remained unchanged but they include the basic building blocks of the language: household words, parts of the body, common animals, natural elements, most pronouns, prepositions, conjunctions and auxiliary verbs. Grafted onto this basic stock was a wealth of contributions to produce, what many people believe, is the richest of the world's languages.

English - A Historical Summary

http://www.krysstal.com/images/english_history.gif
English - A Family Tree

http://www.krysstal.com/images/english_indoeuropean.gif
Languages in the same box as English (the Germanic Languages) are sister languages to English and are its closest relatives. Languages in other boxes are "cousin" languages - still related but not as closely. The further the box, the more distant the relationship. The Indo-European family is one of many language families. Languages belonging to other familes are not related to English. Examples of unrelated languages include Arabic, Basque, Hungarian, Mandarin, Malay, Quechua, Tamil, Turkish and Zulu.

English is more developed and diverse than most people realise, I studied english and other languages at school. Ive watched american tv shows since i was a kid so an american accent seems almost normal to me. I've always been good at understanding slang words in various countries and i have a unusual memory where i can learn/remember things in great detail but i forget something i did 10 minutes ago or what my girlfriend has just told me (selective hearing/memory i am told,lol)

Close minded americans are the only ones that think they're language is solely for them and that other people should'nt use it. If an american dude starting using english slang i would'nt give a fuck but some americans hate british people using they're slang.

I gotta say 'uber-douche' is my fav word at the mo. uber meaning exceptional and douche meaning a device for cleaning out a womans vagina. Now alot of americans would be stupid enough to say that douche is an american word when it is in fact a french words as douche means shower in french but this forum is definetely turning into an 'uber-douche' zone,lol

quick history of the word arse for yer peanut-head -

Arse (American English ass) is an informal English term referring to the buttocks, which is commonly used in English speaking countries such as the United Kingdom, India, Ireland, Australia and New Zealand, parts of Canada and the Commonwealth. In the United States and parts of Canada the variant form ass is used.

Etymology

"Arse", from Old English ærs[1] "tail, rump," from Proto-Germanic root arsoz (cf. Old Norse ars, Middle Dutch ærs), which meaning ass (see also: arsehole), and by extension the crease between the buttocks of any animal (see also buttcrack), but especially the human bottom. There are many cognates such as German Arsch, Dutch aars (meaning anus), Scots airse, Swedish arsle or arsel bottom (from earlier ars-hål anus) and Norwegian and Icelandic rass (through metathesis). Greek orros "tail, rump, base of the spine," Hittite arrash, Old Irish err "tail" has been connected with it. Arse or ass, in this sense, has no etymological common root with the word "ass" when it refers to the donkey.

The word arse was not always impolite or informal.[citation needed] The Norman Conquest brought about linguistic change in English, affecting the prestige of many native Anglo-Saxon words which referred to private body parts.

Modern usage

* Until the late 18th century, "ass" presumably had no profane meaning, and simply referred to the animal now mostly known as the donkey. Because of the increasingly non-rhotic nature of standard British English, "arse" was often rendered "ass".[citation needed] However, indirect evidence of the change from arse to ass can be traced back to 1785 (in euphemistic avoidance of ass "donkey" by polite speakers)[citation needed] and perhaps to Shakespeare, if Nick Bottom transformed into a donkey in "A Midsummer Night's Dream" (1594) is such a word-play. This usage was also adopted in America, which is why the word "arse" is not usually used in the United States. The age of Victorian propriety resulted in the renaming of the horse-like animal, changing the name to "donkey" (not recorded in English before 1785, slang, perhaps from dun "dull grey-brown,"[citation needed] the form perhaps influenced by monkey (or possibly from a familiar form of Duncan, cf. dobbin) to avoid any improper inferences. Although before World War I they were similar, the English pronunciations of "ass" IPA: /ˈæs/ and "arse" /ˈɑːs/ are now quite different in many English-speaking countries. Although arse is commonly used in Atlantic Canada, west of the Ottawa river, ass is more idiomatic.[citation needed]

* In addition to its above literal uses to refer to the buttocks (see that article also for synonyms in that sense), "ass" is commonly employed to denote either a) an idiot or stupid person, referring to the alleged stupidity of the donkey, as in: "Don't be such an ass! You're acting like you're five years old!", or pleonastically in "dumb ass"; b) as a short-hand for asshole (itself first attested in 1935), referring to an egoistic person who is acting to make others miserable; or c) a woman regarded as a sexual object, recorded since 1942. In British usage the word is not considered profane so much as coarse—for example, most Britons wouldn't consider it as strong as "shit". However, the word is sufficiently strong that when Prince Harry used it in a 2005 TV interview the event was given significant press coverage, even if very little outright disapproval was expressed[citation needed]. In America it is considered to be a coarser expression and would be frowned upon in polite society, but "arse" is almost never used in the United States, as such—most Americans would assume that the word "ass" was being used.

* It is also a curse-like exclamation, e.g. one of the four catchphrases attributed to the character Father Jack in the Channel 4 TV show Father Ted, in which the said character repeatedly shouts 'ARSE!', and other monosyllabic words of varying coarseness, for no apparent reason. The similar use of "arse" by Bob Fleming's friend Jed Thomas on The Fast Show is a speech impediment.
* Arsebandit, a British English slang term for a male homosexual, is an example of the association of the organ with gay men, regardless of whether or not anal sex is involved.
* Bare-arse or Bare-ass means with the bottom bared, but is also used as a pars pro toto for nudity, especially in a context where it implies full or at least 'strategic' exposure, as for spanking or mooning; a similar expression (for males only) is bare balls. Bare-arsed can also mean impertinent, e.g. about a cheeky act "the bare-arsed cheek of it".
* Arseload or assload to refer to a large but unspecified quantity.
* Arsewipe or asswipe can refer to someone who is unimportant or petty.

Modern synonyms (often euphemisms or dysphemisms) include:

* Hole, in various compounds including the popular arsehole, often referring to the use of the organ for fecal secretion (as in dung-hole, shit-hole) or for coitus (such as fuck-hole), while boy-hole and man-hole emphasize homosexual practices or simply the anatomical difference from the female.
* Split ("Split-arse or split-ring"), Midlands and North of England - a rare but phonetically potent term of reference used to indicate a female of poor character and worth and reduce her to genitalia only. A common American version with the same meaning is "split-tail".
* "Aris", which is double rhyming slang: Aristotle (bottle), bottle and glass (arse).

Yea lots of people use 'arse' here too, but i think its a fuckin stupid word, i never use it either.

I dont think anyone trys to use newyork dialect here, theyd just be laughed at. We've enough different accents here that noone needs to. From Dublin, Sligo, Cork, Galway, Donegal, Belfast etc every place has its own accent and slang. If i drive only an hour north i come to Donegal and i cant even make out what their saying coz they've such a thick accent. And if i drive a few hours south ill get to Cork and have a good laugh at their retarded sounding accents.

And i dont think the sterotypical irish accent that you see in movies is actually spoken anywere in the country. I dont know why thats associtaed with ireland at all.

We say 'cunt' quite a lot here too.

Is it 'querter to tree' ova tear,lol?

Yeah, using 'cunt' down the pub is as normal as 'and'

I say arse, i only say 'ass' when Im fucking about. (I should kick yo' ass in the head - Chris Tucker - Money Talks)

I have used some sad slang on this forum though. Not pretending to be American but writing it down. Im trying to quit though, Ive got patches and everything.
My wife rips the piss out of me calling me American

(I don't know how to trasnlate 'taking the piss' into American)

Good question though, this is what gen chat should be about. This and YouTube videos of Nas getting felt up.

don't stop dude, who really gives a shit, I will continue to take the piss and say shit in american, german or whatever other accents i wanna say shit in... Ya'll hear me, :lmao:

drippie k
12-07-2008, 06:13 AM
basically english is a huge mixture of a bunch of languages...germanic languages, norse, latin, etc...

where as spanish, french and italian all come pretty much directly from latin

i've grown up speaking american english and spanish and have friends who are spanish, american and mixed like i am...i have spanish friends who have studied english and it really gives them a hard time because not all the letters in every word are pronounced and theyre pretty much like "why the fuck is that letter there if its silent?" they also get pissed when 2 words sound alike but are completely different such as "sea" and "see"