PDA

View Full Version : Gates Talks of Rapid Troop Increase in Afghanistan

food for thought
12-12-2008, 04:51 PM
ELISABETH BUMILLER
The New York Times
December 11, 2008

KANDAHAR, Afghanistan — Defense Secretary Robert M. Gates said here on Thursday that the Pentagon, which plans to send 20,000 additional troops to Afghanistan, was trying to get thousands of them into the country as soon as next spring, a sign of the seriousness of the threat by the Taliban.

The soldiers were requested by Gen. David D. McKiernan, the top commander in Afghanistan. The first of them, about 3,500 to 4,000 troops from the Third Brigade of the 10th Mountain Division from Fort Drum, N.Y., are scheduled to arrive in Afghanistan next month.

Mr. Gates said he hoped to deploy an additional two combat brigades by the spring as part of an effort to combat growing violence and chaos in the country. Pentagon officials have said it would take 12 to 18 months to get all 20,000 troops to Afghanistan. The United States currently has some 34,000 troops in the country.

Both Mr. Gates and General McKiernan also said Thursday that there would be a “sustained commitment” of American troops in Afghanistan for the next three or four years, although they declined to put a number on that commitment.

diggy
12-12-2008, 08:13 PM
Troops in Iraq.
Troops in Afghanistan.
Iran is between them (and they may soon be checkmated!!!)

http://iranmap.com/images/IranMap.gif

Visionz
12-12-2008, 08:40 PM
I'll be pissed if we go to war with Iran. I do hope we find and kill Bin Laden mainly because I think it's the excuse we'll need to end this bullshit "war on terror"

DRUNKENDRAGON
12-13-2008, 11:30 AM
My girlfriend's brother is being deployed to afghanistan in march.

LoTec
12-13-2008, 06:54 PM
I'll be pissed if we go to war with Iran. I do hope we find and kill Bin Laden mainly because I think it's the excuse we'll need to end this bullshit "war on terror"

If the usa really wanted to kill Bin Laden they would have never went into Iraq, they would have laid waste to any country in that region until he was killed.

The sad truth maybe that the bullshit "war on terror" will never end. Does it look the usa's "war on drugs" will end anytime soon? Thats been on for 30 years with no end in sight. The government had a budget for drug law enforcement of around 100,000s of dollars and now its in the billions and still drugs in usa are more plentiful and cheaper than they were when the "war" started. That math dont add up, or maybe it dose.

DRUNKENDRAGON
12-14-2008, 12:47 PM
The way I see if they can maintain perpetual military conflict they will maintain perpetual profit and resources, these battles will always exist in some form or another.

Memory Man
12-14-2008, 03:03 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-f66a2HVy5U&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-f66a2HVy5U&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Sky Blue Danny Kid
12-14-2008, 03:09 PM
The way I see if they can maintain perpetual military conflict they will maintain perpetual profit and resources, these battles will always exist in some form or another.

Do you think that the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan have been profitable and good for the US economy?

Sky Blue Danny Kid
12-14-2008, 03:11 PM
The problem is that Iranians are crazy and economically support more of our enemies than any other country. Unfortunately, they are very powerful and hold a lot influence.

Your boy Ahmeninajad or whatever is a dick.

11th Chamber
12-14-2008, 03:15 PM
Looks like I know where I'll be by years end.....

DRUNKENDRAGON
12-15-2008, 09:02 AM
Do you think that the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan have been profitable and good for the US economy?

I think for the government and several corporations tied to the government, yes. For the general population, no.

LoTec
12-17-2008, 02:40 PM
Its always amazes me that people dont realize that the usa has been in a nearly perpetual state of war since its inception. Thats what empires must do to survive and maintain there standard of living. War is a racket belive that always has been always will be. It all boils down to the rich geting richer and the poor getting dead.
But atleast in medevil europe times a poor man could go to war and hope to get rich off of plunder but not now days.

Fuck the empire

Koolish
12-17-2008, 04:49 PM
If the usa really wanted to kill Bin Laden they would have never went into Iraq, they would have laid waste to any country in that region until he was killed.

The sad truth maybe that the bullshit "war on terror" will never end. Does it look the usa's "war on drugs" will end anytime soon? Thats been on for 30 years with no end in sight. The government had a budget for drug law enforcement of around 100,000s of dollars and now its in the billions and still drugs in usa are more plentiful and cheaper than they were when the "war" started. That math dont add up, or maybe it dose.
i don't remember the source on this, but apparently the CIA brings in huge amounts of cocaine every year.

Mashallarts
12-17-2008, 04:56 PM
The problem is that Iranians are crazy and economically support more of our enemies than any other country. Unfortunately, they are very powerful and hold a lot influence.

Your boy Ahmeninajad or whatever is a dick.

LOL stupid american

"support more of our enemies" Tell me who your enemies are please you ignor-anus
And don't call me a melanin lackin snake you cracker ass mo fo!! lol

Mahmoud Ahmedenejad is a very smart man, and if you're talkin about Al-Qaeida, he is completely against them.

Why don't you go and read up history seeing as most of your 'enemies' were created by your country in the first place

stupid dick

Cee Oh Vee
12-17-2008, 05:20 PM

I just can't get my head around this.

SURELY, if USA (+ the rest of the world) wanted to find Bin Laden, they would have found his bitch-ass by now!

I just don't believe they're looking for him. They're on the same side, damnit!

Peace to Mashallarts

Koolish
12-17-2008, 05:38 PM
bin laden was CIA trained, but then again no one has won a war against afghanistan since alexander the great, either they can't find them or they don't care, they got their oil.

food for thought
12-18-2008, 11:30 AM
LOL stupid american

"support more of our enemies" Tell me who your enemies are please you ignor-anus
And don't call me a melanin lackin snake you cracker ass mo fo!! lol

Mahmoud Ahmedenejad is a very smart man, and if you're talkin about Al-Qaeida, he is completely against them.

Why don't you go and read up history seeing as most of your 'enemies' were created by your country in the first place

stupid dick

lmao im startin to like this guy

Edgar Erebus
12-18-2008, 12:01 PM

Yes.

Just an example: security industry is a multi-billion dollar business since those wars started.

LoTec
12-18-2008, 03:16 PM
i don't remember the source on this, but apparently the CIA brings in huge amounts of cocaine every year.

Well yes, they have brought in huge amounts of coke and probably still are involvedin the trade today. But the documented evidence is from the 80s. Some dude was bringing it in on CIA planes and destributing it in LA and probly across the country to finance contras in latin america. The cia has been rumered for years to be funding black ops through drugs sells. Look at the poppy production in Afganistan since the USA invasion. The media says the afgani resistance is getting money from it and Im sure they are to some degree but the big money is going elswhere.

11th Chamber
12-18-2008, 03:25 PM
Its gonna suck hiking up those mountains n shit