PDA

View Full Version : Ask a video game tester a question

ALCATRAZ
12-13-2008, 10:07 PM
If you want to know anything about video game testing, this is your thread. I am not currently testing, but I have spent many a nights in the lab and I'm willing to answer any questions for you aspiring testers out there.

Mr. X
12-14-2008, 10:36 PM
Does it pay well?

ALCATRAZ
12-14-2008, 11:09 PM
Does it pay well?

To sit on your ass and play video games? I'd say so. But mind u we obviously ain't gettin paid doctor salaries.. It also depends on the state that you are in because minimum wages vary and while video game companies don't pay at minimum wage, it still remains a factor in how they base your pay. I will say this though.. during the final weeks of the last game I was testing (Resistance: Fall of Man), I was bringin in a rack a week after taxes. Not too bad for just breaking games

The Hound
12-14-2008, 11:15 PM
how'd you get the job? by chance, hook through a contact or they publicly advertise? ... is it full time or part time? ... how thorough do you have to be in your testing, like do you have to play it a certain amount of hours before you submit a report or what?

ALCATRAZ
12-14-2008, 11:53 PM
how'd you get the job?

My homie was contacted by Sony because he used to work for EA, and they were recruiting for PS3 testing. They asked him if he knew anybody who could game. So yea, it was a hook up..

... is it full time or part time?
No such thing as part time video game testing unless its just for a one day study or some shit. You need a lot of time because there are deadlines and formats to meet.

... how thorough do you have to be in your testing
You don't have to be thoro at all. Some testers find bugs on their first day (bug = problem wit tha game). But there is always competition. Everything is logged in a universal database so you can see who found what and how big of a bug it was. N best believe niggaz are always trying to be seen as the top tester. Its funny but u actually earn your respect on tha work floor by how bad you've broken the game.

shaolinsword
12-14-2008, 11:54 PM
My homie was contacted by Sony because he used to work for EA, and they were recruiting for PS3 testing. They asked him if he knew anybody who could game. So yea, it was a hook up..

No such thing as part time video game testing unless its just for a one day study or some shit. You need a lot of time because there are deadlines and formats to meet.

You don't have to be thoro at all. Some testers find bugs on their first day (bug = problem wit tha game). But there is always competition. Everything is logged in a universal database so you can see who found what and how big of a bug it was. N best believe niggaz are always trying to be seen as the top tester. Its funny but u actually earn your respect on tha work floor by how bad you've broken the game.

lol sounds like a decent job

ALCATRAZ
12-14-2008, 11:57 PM
lol sounds like a decent job

yea there b sum bitches too they aint too hot tho they like them skinny ass white girls who will smoke just about anything.... u kno them hoes that b rockin billabong sweatshirts n shit lol

The Hound
12-15-2008, 12:34 AM
do you choose what gamesyou want to test or are you allocated games?

also, is the pay salary based or performance incentive?

ALCATRAZ
12-15-2008, 01:15 AM
do you choose what gamesyou want to test or are you allocated games?

depends on ur rep

also, is the pay salary based or performance incentive?

nah not salary based its hourly and your pay is determined by experience and how much money the company has to spend.

DR. NICK RIVIERA
12-15-2008, 03:34 AM
have game developers ever listened to any of your advices depending about gameplay

RagnaroK
12-15-2008, 06:34 AM
let me start by saying you have a very dope job no matter the pay a job is a job an your earning your own money

question
so your testing games no matter the company of them or just from a single source?
i assume that all games tested there are American made or you get some from Japan?

ALCATRAZ
12-15-2008, 11:28 PM
have game developers ever listened to any of your advices depending about gameplay

Oh yeah man all the time. Some developers don't like to admit this, but testers have much more knowledge on the actual gameplay than the producers and developers ever will. We are the ones who spend day in and day out simply playing the game, so it is vital that they spend time talking to testers and team leaders to find out what is working, what isn't, and what to focus on to make the game better.

ALCATRAZ
12-15-2008, 11:38 PM
let me start by saying you have a very dope job no matter the pay a job is a job an your earning your own money

Right on fam. Even for minimum wage I wouldnt mind testing games. If you like video games, it is truly as easy as it looks.

so your testing games no matter the company of them or just from a single source?
Well that depends. If you are working for EA Sports, you're only testing EA titles. Same with LucasArts. At Sony, we only test Sony licensed software.

i assume that all games tested there are American made or you get some from Japan?

Yea it goes both ways. For example when I was testing Resistance, we had a sister team in Tokyo who we used to run games and tests with. I believe there are some games that are tested from overseas, but there isn't a need for a huge team because no one in the states will get to play it anyways.

DR. NICK RIVIERA
12-16-2008, 05:08 PM
Ever found any easter eggs?

ALCATRAZ
12-16-2008, 05:29 PM
Ever found any easter eggs?
No. It should be noted that there is a distinct difference between playing a video game and testing a video game. My point being, if there were any easter eggs, it would be necessary for us to know coordinates and what it is, because even that can be bugged-- even that could have problems following post production.

Our "easter eggs" come from the numerous glitches we find in the game itself. Those are the true treasures, because it adds to your rep and solidifies your place in helping create a game thats suitable for modern gamers.

DR. NICK RIVIERA
12-16-2008, 06:20 PM
I figured as much :)

WARPATH
12-17-2008, 10:43 AM
do you have to keep a log of the work you do on the game, like a notebook with notes and shit?

ALCATRAZ
12-17-2008, 11:14 AM
do you have to keep a log of the work you do on the game, like a notebook with notes and shit?

Yea, it's simply an online server where ever employee working on the same game can access to see coordinates to find out if bugs are fixed with the new 'builds' we receive daily and so forth. You don't need to log everything, mainly only bugs. There have been work days where I didn't have to log in anything though. Its not a tiresome process at all. Entering bugs is as simpl as entering a post here @ wucorp..

The Void
12-17-2008, 12:20 PM
What titles have you worked on? (if you're allowed to talk about them, I know how anal companies are about information being released)

I worked at EA for exactly a year, was only supposed to be a month but they liked the bugs I found so they kept me.

I worked on:
Madden 07
NFS: Carbon
UEFA Champs League
NBA Street: Homecourt
NHL08
Wing Commander
NBA Live 08
NCAA March Madness 08 (or 09, can't remember)
And a bunch of miscellaneous games that needed a tester for a day or two, Skate was one of them.

Oh and what was the longest shift you worked? I worked 12 hour shifts for almost a whole month trying to get Madden Wii out the door. The longest shift I worked was 18 hours.

ALCATRAZ
12-17-2008, 01:43 PM
Yea I don't really wanna list all the titles I worked on, but the most notable one was probably Resistance: Fall of Man. I did some 3rd Party testing as well and also worked on some emulators.

The longest shift I've ever worked in a day's time was from 7am to 1am. During one of these long work days to meet a deadline, one of the testers had a bad reaction to energy drinks (they give em away for free and dont regulate consumption) and passed out. The ambulance had to take him away and tha whole shit.. lol video game testing does get real...

The longest I've worked in a week's time was 90 hours.

ALCATRAZ
12-17-2008, 01:45 PM
Some of yall might be thinkin a 7am-1am shift would drive a man crazy... it does. There are fights, arguments, people have to be moved to different titles, a lot of drama going on during the crazy overtime shifts. I guess when you work an entire day without seeing a lick of daylight, it takes its toll on you.

RagnaroK
12-17-2008, 02:09 PM
Games are serious business LOL!

from 7AM to 1AM damn thats hard but i imagine when the payment came you had a big smile on your face

The Void
12-17-2008, 02:27 PM
Getting paid time and a half is well worth it. I worked on the Wii and PS3 before they even had the consoles. Wii was played through an emulator with a DOS based program, we still had the Wiimotes though, was pretty funny. When the Wiis finally arrived two of them got messed up on the first day. The devs told us later that they forgot to tell us not to turn the power button Off. lol.

ALCATRAZ
12-17-2008, 02:35 PM
Games are serious business LOL!

from 7AM to 1AM damn thats hard but i imagine when the payment came you had a big smile on your face
Word. Some people wouldn't even go home for the night. They would just sleep in their cars or in the break room just to save a trip over to work.

ALCATRAZ
12-17-2008, 02:41 PM
Getting paid time and a half is well worth it. I worked on the Wii and PS3 before they even had the consoles. Wii was played through an emulator with a DOS based program, we still had the Wiimotes though, was pretty funny. When the Wiis finally arrived two of them got messed up on the first day. The devs told us later that they forgot to tell us not to turn the power button Off. lol.
Yea it fun to test on consoles that aren't even out yet. Testing on the PS3 was especially fun because our team (and our sister team in Tokyo) were the first to test PS3 dev kits. It was an honor indeed. That shit was bigger than a VCR and had more than 400 gigs. The best part about it though was that every build we had could access a cheat sheet by simply pressing select. You could alter anything in the game without even doing any long, drawn out codes. Just press select and choose the manipulation of your choice. It made life easier lol

-The A to the Z-
12-17-2008, 05:09 PM
How do games still get released broke as Hell after testing?

Not talking about all those budget titles, that's acceptable, I mean high-profile, high-hype games?

...Why?

ALCATRAZ
12-17-2008, 05:29 PM
How do games still get released broke as Hell after testing?

Not talking about all those budget titles, that's acceptable, I mean high-profile, high-hype games?

...Why?
Some bugs are too expensive to fix when its really close to format, so the developers just say fuck it, we'll release a patch later to fix it and we'll ship it "as is". Sometimes testers honestly miss the bugs and they make it all the way to final production. Testers aren't perfect. As a matter of fact, most testers can give half a shit about the game they're testing. Its the lucky ones who make it to major titles and what have you. That's why in high profile games there are not as many bugs as there would be on a lesser known title.

Niggaz b lazy.

ALCATRAZ
12-17-2008, 05:31 PM
Fact: The original Super Mario Bros. is the only video game in history that had no bugs.

-The A to the Z-
12-18-2008, 01:21 PM
Isn't Super Mario Bros. the game with the like Ghost Water zone when you go into a Tube or something?

I forget the details.