PDA

View Full Version : Logic Question #1

Tage
12-20-2008, 12:38 PM
There are 2 doors, one of them leads to heaven and one of them leads to hell.

There are identical doorman guarding the doors, you don't know which is which.

The guard on the hell door always lies, the one guarding heaven always tells the truth.
(they both know this)

You have one question.
(assuming no prior knowledge)

What question do you ask?
(assuming you want to get into heaven)

DRUNKENDRAGON
12-20-2008, 02:09 PM
You ask a guard "What would the other guard say if I asked him which door leads to heaven", then choose the opposite of that answer.

Tage
12-20-2008, 02:20 PM
your right and wrong...

you ask any guard.. "what would the other one say if i asked him which door he was guarding" and whatever the answer they give is the door they are guarding.

if you ask the one guarding heaven he would say - "the other one would say heaven" (because he lies)

if you ask the one guarding hell he would say - "the other one would say hell" (because he IS lying)

but yeah, fucker... i thought it would take longer for the right answer, unless you googled it, or heard it where i heard it...

good logical question, you can always tell the intelligence of some people by the questions they ask lol.. anyway REP+

DRUNKENDRAGON
12-20-2008, 04:57 PM
Wouldn't say I'm wrong, it's only that there is more then one correct answer.

diggy
12-20-2008, 08:14 PM
I would ask "Is this the gate that leads to both heaven & hell?".

The truthful guard would say no, the one that lies would say yes, so I would know which one to take.

Tage
12-21-2008, 02:25 AM
Wouldn't say I'm wrong, it's only that there is more then one correct answer.

^well your theory wouldnt work.

if you asked both "what would the other one say if i asked him which door leads to heaven" they would both say the same answer, they would both point towards the hell door.

if you asked that question to the one guarding heaven, he would point to the hell door, and the one who lied would point to his own door.

so that wouldnt work, but yeah, you got the concept so i gave you the correct answer, even though... thinking about it now, your wrong lol

i think there is only one answer...
"what would the other guard say if i asked him which door he is guarding"

^then whatever the guard says, if the door he is infront of.

beautifulrock
12-21-2008, 03:21 AM
I saw labyrinth, thats how i know the answer.

Tage
12-21-2008, 03:29 AM
ah yeah shit... THATS where it was from

Prince Rai
12-21-2008, 01:04 PM
You have one question.
(assuming no prior knowledge)

if i had no prior knowledge of this, then i would be misled if i was not a doubtful person.

without knowing that one is lying, i may have asked "is this heaven" to the wrong guard and be misled.

otherwise I'd just ask,

"is the sky as on Earth with average human eyesight blue?"

the liar will "have" to lie and the truthful guard will tell me the truth..apparently..

lol peace

Visionz
12-21-2008, 11:36 PM
I'd ask one of them if water was wet......there's a lot of "right" answers you could ask

Tage
12-22-2008, 10:10 AM
^thats where ASSUME NO PRIOR KNOWLEDGE came in...

assume THEY have no prior knowledge... rai, i told you they lie...etc... so wake up people... lol

Visionz
12-22-2008, 01:42 PM
^in that case "Are you a door?" it wouldn't take any prior knowledge and you'd find out pretty quickly what was what

"am I standing in front of you?"

"am I asking you a question?"

there's a lot of "right" answers to this riddle