PDA

View Full Version : No good deed...

Eater
12-20-2008, 03:57 PM
You've probably heard the phrase "No good deed goes unpunished." It often seems to be true, but why?

Maybe the way things naturally go there are good and bad things that happen more or less evenly divided, so when you go out of your way to do a good thing the natural order is disturbed so a bad one comes in to balance it out.

diggy
12-20-2008, 09:23 PM
You've probably heard the phrase "No good deed goes unpunished." It often seems to be true, but why?

Maybe the way things naturally go there are good and bad things that happen more or less evenly divided, so when you go out of your way to do a good thing the natural order is disturbed so a bad one comes in to balance it out.

Can u give an example of a good deed going unpunished for clearer understanding?

I think good deeds need to be practiced with wisdom. Many people lack it, maybe that's y they find themselves punished after it. Sometimes yur deed may attract envy/hatred/a power shift which means u have to be careful in how u do it.

An old teaching says the right hand should not know what the left does - do good deeds in secret.

Also do it to those who need it the most.

Face of the Golden Falcon
12-21-2008, 05:00 AM
Nothing bad ever happens in nature especially not to balance out good, it all proceeds according to Law. This Law ensures the universe works as the perfect system(?).

SHEM HETEP

Eater
12-21-2008, 09:37 AM
Here's a superficial example: You see a piece of trash on the sidewalk and pick it up to put it in the nearby trash can. Problem is you get a cut on your finger as a result and it becomes infected causing you to take lots of time and money to go to the doctor and get antibiotics.

Here is a real example. A friend of mine's mother had a stroke. After a heroic effort the mother was barely saved. Problem is she was severely incapacitated, mentally and physically, and lived many more years than she or anyone else around her wanted.

I'm not saying don't go out of your way to help someone or make things better in some way, it's just that it is strange how sometimes (or maybe often) things turns out other than how you intended. Maybe in these cases extra wisdom is required such as the previous commenter suggested. But can one know the ultimate result of any action, however small or large?

diggy
12-21-2008, 10:28 PM
Nothing bad ever happens in nature especially not to balance out good, it all proceeds according to Law. This Law ensures the universe works as the perfect system(?).

SHEM HETEP

Here's a superficial example: You see a piece of trash on the sidewalk and pick it up to put it in the nearby trash can. Problem is you get a cut on your finger as a result and it becomes infected causing you to take lots of time and money to go to the doctor and get antibiotics.

Here is a real example. A friend of mine's mother had a stroke. After a heroic effort the mother was barely saved. Problem is she was severely incapacitated, mentally and physically, and lived many more years than she or anyone else around her wanted.

I'm not saying don't go out of your way to help someone or make things better in some way, it's just that it is strange how sometimes (or maybe often) things turns out other than how you intended. Maybe in these cases extra wisdom is required such as the previous commenter suggested. But can one know the ultimate result of any action, however small or large?

Falcon, I agree that things go according to a law in which he are subjected to.

Eater, your right that things do not go as planned sometimes. Other hidden factors might present themselves by surprise.

I remember hearing often about people in my city who found themselves on the brink on drowning and a good samaritan decides to jump in the water to save that person, resulting in saving the intended person, but later drowning his own self.

This type of thing happend very often in the news. I guess the correct way to save a drowning person, is not to jump in, but to stand on safe ground, but throw somthing in to pull the person or some other way that keeps u safe.

As for the cutting yourself on a can after picking it up, I feel that is not the duty of someone unless they have the proper gear. For example, people who are in the garbage industry will wear certain gear for their own protection cuz it costs alot in medical bills and loss of work if they are injured. Therefore, there is a proper way to do things to minimize risk.

I think people should approach doing things like this with that type of mentality. If you do not take those precautions, you take a big risk. There is inherent danger in most if not all actions.

Lets say that someone's house is on fire and I witness it as I walk by. I know nothing about firefighting except what I see on tv, but have no experience about it nor the understanding of the unpredictable nature of fire. I would be making a very big risk of running into the burning house to save someone or put out the fire. I don't know how long ago the fire started, I do not know if it is an electrical fire, chemical fire, or whatever. Also, I have no fire protective gear and no fire fighting gear, so the chances of me being a victim of the fire are great. So, it would be very unwise of me to try to fight the fire myself or run in and help. The best thing is to call those who are trained for such situations.

So sometimes a "good deed" is really a foolish one.

So wisdom is needed.

diggy
05-12-2009, 09:14 PM
Very true indeed.

LORD NOSE
05-12-2009, 09:40 PM

The Tao

Nice