PDA

View Full Version : Rakim coulda been the greatest ever....

DJMethods
12-26-2008, 02:25 AM
XE7osJ5Xj98

But he didn't put in enough work after the Eric B era, and missed his chance not releasing an album like this.

You fucked up Rakim, now only true heads will know you existed, the world doesn't know you.

Tracks
12-26-2008, 02:36 AM
yea i pretty much agree, still top 5 though.

BUT

his albums still had alot of HEAT on them.

Shogah
12-26-2008, 05:33 AM
He was the king in the late 80's and early 90's, but it seems that he got lost in the winds of change. Like he couldn't deal with the new era, and failed to adjust to the new sounds.

Ghost In The 'Lac
12-26-2008, 06:07 AM
dF5u_B1dmyI

YungSunny
12-26-2008, 07:05 AM
He IS the greatest ever.

DJMethods
12-26-2008, 07:17 AM
No, he's really not.

cap
12-26-2008, 08:37 AM
dF5u_B1dmyI

haha great video,lmao at these cats teaming up on hamilton

Ritter
12-26-2008, 08:42 AM
Rakim is the greatest ever. He released a near classic-classic "18th Letter" and a mediocre-solid "The Master" which only lacked good beats.

But DAMN, Hoodlum is heavy.

YungSunny
12-26-2008, 10:55 AM
No, he's really not.

Who is?

junius
12-26-2008, 11:02 AM
x

snakesonawiggly
12-26-2008, 12:35 PM
Hes the best ever no doubt but if Oh My GOD came out in 04 on Aftermath hed be more known know

junius
12-26-2008, 04:55 PM
Are you fucking retarded? Rakim hasn't done SHIT worth listening to in nearly 15 years. Explain that. Likewise, he was NOT a complete mc then, and he fell apart before he had the chance to mature.

We can make a similar case for Big Daddy Kane, although there it was more of a slow fade out.

Rakim is still the great enigma but I'd like to see one person-- stan or foe-- speak the truth about it, even a partial one.

ALCATRAZ
12-26-2008, 05:38 PM
2pac > All

FasterBlade
12-26-2008, 06:12 PM
he is the GOAT, but the Seventh Seal needs to be very strong. its taken forever with not much in between

cats can sleep on The Master all they want, he was spittin amazing shit on there. just needed some more polished beats

YungSunny
12-26-2008, 06:14 PM
COULD HAVE is correct, thank you. I know we love to hate-- myself included-- but I'd still like to know what really happened with R. Face it, there's almost nothing after the Eric B. era that matches those four records. Was it drugs? Depression? Burnout?

A similar thing happened with Kool G. Rap, of course, with "4, 5, 6" being the transition from great artist to tired, self-parodying hack. ("18th Letter" is 3/5, no better, btw.)

KRS-One, by comparison, has always been a GREAT mc, although his albums since the 1990s rarely show it, mostly because he stopped teaching and just kept jabbering about "real" "hip-hop."

Nobody actually listens to the guy anymore (his new stuff, that is) but Guru has a much larger, greater body of work than Rakim, tho' you can't kill those four with Eric B.
What? Funny how those are 3 of my favorite albums right now. (Especially 4, 5 , 6)

WuBanga36
12-26-2008, 09:32 PM
The G.O.A.T. in my view.

DJMethods
12-26-2008, 09:42 PM
Think back to whats lookaed at as the "Golden Era", where was Rakim?

Mobb Deep, Wu, all the Wu solos, A Tribe Called Quest, Big L, Nas, Jay-Z ect ect ect come to mind. Not Rakim. Nas flowing over Verbal Intercourse, Rae on Eye For An Eye... Rakim was nowhere. Trying to tell me the best ever wasn't prominent when hip-hop was peaking?

Nope, he easily could've been, skill, flow and structure theres no one better, but he blew his chance.

FasterBlade
12-27-2008, 09:34 AM
that wasnt his era's golden age tho, it was 88-89 when he was infact the best doing it. it was a shame that he didnt pop up too much until 18th Letter, but he seems to enjoy being out of the spotlight when he doesnt have an album out

DJMethods
12-27-2008, 09:37 AM
that wasnt his era's golden age tho, it was 88-89 when he was infact the best doing it. it was a shame that he didnt pop up too much until 18th Letter, but he seems to enjoy being out of the spotlight when he doesnt have an album out

Ll Cool J was from the same era, and went platinum during the 90s, with two seperate albums.

Rakim was the best doing it when hip-hop wasn't at its peak, when it peaked, he wasnt there. He dropped no classics during the peak, he did nothing.

GOAT was there at the peak.

True Father Allah
12-27-2008, 09:55 AM
Hip hop peaked when Public Enemy was on top and forever changed once Dr dropped Chronic and became all about money, yeah all them Wu releases and what not was cool in the don mafioso big willy era but everyone know the golden era was 88-92, PE, TRibe, Kane, G Rap, BDP, NWA, Cube, De La, Rakim

get your ish right, lol and the Master and 18th Letter would be classic for anyone else. Listen to the title trak of 18th Letter or Saga Begins, listen to those new cuts on the Rakim lp that came out today and then you can be quiet, lol

PEACE

True Father Allah
12-27-2008, 09:58 AM
Cats is funny
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdhgrqmkysM listen to that 3rd verse and then shut up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9cInzXk2iE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqpUEb6UY14

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ywTvQPP_IE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3x5xxnqAaA

DJMethods
12-27-2008, 10:18 AM
Hip hop peaked when Public Enemy was on top and forever changed once Dr dropped Chronic and became all about money, yeah all them Wu releases and what not was cool in the don mafioso big willy era but everyone know the golden era was 88-92, PE, TRibe, Kane, G Rap, BDP, NWA, Cube, De La, Rakim

get your ish right, lol and the Master and 18th Letter would be classic for anyone else. Listen to the title trak of 18th Letter or Saga Begins, listen to those new cuts on the Rakim lp that came out today and then you can be quiet, lol

PEACE

Firstly: I cannot take you serious with that name.

No, that wasnt the golden era. That was the most pure era, but thats not the era with the best MC's or beats.

I also find it HILARIOUS you mention Tribe when their best album was AFTER the era you mentioned. Not to mention Kool G Rap who didnt even RELEASE an album till after the era you mentioned. De La Soul is another one whos best album came AFTER the era you mentioned. But yeah, great point.. really showed it there.

92-96 was much, much, MUCH better then 88-92. The majority of MC's from that era get completely outshined, as do the beats.

Not only did you disprove the point you made; You didn't even comprehend my point.

I think Rakim is dope as hell, the most skilled MC, but he fucked himself over by doing NOTHING when hip-hop was in it's prime, and cannot be called the GOAT.

No one's talking about Rakim classics from 94, get the fuck outta here, he is a nobody in rap except for the over 30 crowd, when he really coulda been much more.

FasterBlade
12-27-2008, 11:09 AM
please dont tell me you think LL is really the GOAT, is that what this thread was leading to?

lol hes put out more garbage than he has good material, id rather a guy stay dormant than drop the bullsh1t LL has in the past 13 or so years.

DJMethods
12-27-2008, 11:13 AM
Where the fuck did LL being the GOAT come from?

.......really...

FasterBlade
12-27-2008, 11:24 AM
it was a marketing tool used during the GOAT album's release, i mean you got a certain group of people that really think that but all in all most longtime listeners dropped him out of top 10's after he forgot how to make an album

who DO you think is the best, anyway?

DJMethods
12-27-2008, 11:29 AM
No, I know his album, I mean, where did you think I said he was the GOAT? Just confused me, I only really feel LL till like 91. Mama Said Knock You Out is still top 10 best songs ever doe.

Iunno who I think is, I'd probably say Big L.

DR. NICK RIVIERA
12-27-2008, 11:38 AM
I'm with DJMethods on this one.... Rakim was the goat only when he was dropping albums....and that stopped in 1992, those other two albums in the late nineties aren't all that GOAT-like

RynMur
12-27-2008, 04:47 PM
Think back to whats lookaed at as the "Golden Era", where was Rakim?

Mobb Deep, Wu, all the Wu solos, A Tribe Called Quest, Big L, Nas, Jay-Z ect ect ect come to mind. Not Rakim. Nas flowing over Verbal Intercourse, Rae on Eye For An Eye... Rakim was nowhere. Trying to tell me the best ever wasn't prominent when hip-hop was peaking?

By that time Rakim already dropped 4 classics. Plus all the people you named would probably say Rakim is GOAT anyway.

I love Big L, but you can't say he's the best after one album.

HANZO
12-27-2008, 06:37 PM
Well you have a point, it didnt put Rakim in the spotlite alongside tupac and the well known rappers.

either way he is still considered GOAT by many, that says alot about how dope Rakim is. he never wanted to be in the limelight anyway.

junius
12-27-2008, 10:11 PM
Holy shit, Allah-- are you for fucking real? I couldn't make it past your first link; or are you proving Methods and myself are correct?

Rakim FAILED to grow as an artist, end of goddamn discussion. Kool G. Rap had did the same except he actually regressed into gangster retardation. Rakim plays at being, like, "mystical" or something but face the fucking facts, he is NOT that bright-- he was some deep unconcious shit when young and LOST IT.

Or explain why Chuck D. can still bust some hard, smart, funny stuff? KRS likewise, tho' it's more evident live.

Then there are TONS of dudes who, while not at Rakim's level then, blow him away now AND destroy him live, from Chubb Rock (say) onwards.

That any douchebag in 2008 is bothering with ANY Rakim since "Don't Sweat The Tecnique" instead of even the worst Jeru the Damaja album is ridiculous.

And "Still Rising" destroys all post Eric B. Rakim.

YungSunny
12-28-2008, 06:27 AM
Rakim plays at being, like, "mystical" or something but face the fucking facts, he is NOT that bright--

I stopped reading there to pray for the state of the world.

DRUNKENDRAGON
12-28-2008, 11:42 AM
I'm a 90's kid, only Rakim shit that came out during that time wasn't very good compared to most of the other artists dropping albums at the time, therefore; I never really felt Rakim like that at all, ever.

I tried to go back and listen to his earlier shit but it sounds far too dated for me to even begin trying to get into so I pass on Rakim altogether.