PDA

View Full Version : Whos the #1 rapper that is skilled lyrically but is TERRIBLE at beat selection?

Young Spade
12-27-2008, 07:18 PM
I say Method Man.

Nobody can beat him.

Discuss

Ghost In The 'Lac
12-27-2008, 07:47 PM
I say youre wrong. Hes not great at beat selection, but hes not the all time worst of all time you moron.

First to mind are

Canibus
Ras Kass
Killah Preist
Nas
all of wu tang when rza's not involved

Prolifical ENG
12-27-2008, 08:01 PM
Nas is first taht comes to mind....dont think saying method man is moronic though.

I say Aceyalone but thats yes and no because some of the beats he uses are extremely original and "almost" worked.

YungSunny
12-27-2008, 08:05 PM
Rza :D

buckshotstheone
12-27-2008, 08:18 PM
Canibus....his album with Stoupe was one of the most brilliant pieces of music I have ever heard and he never before and never since has made anything I can tolerate and it certainly isn't due to his lyrical skills

Prolifical ENG
12-27-2008, 08:33 PM
I dont know about canibus. I guess just based on pure lyrics, yes. However last few times I heard him his content was about all this rough talk and sounded like he was coughing up hairballs...so I still cant listen to his lyrics.

buckshotstheone
12-27-2008, 08:41 PM
I dont know about canibus. I guess just based on pure lyrics, yes. However last few times I heard him his content was about all this rough talk and sounded like he was coughing up hairballs...so I still cant listen to his lyrics.

it ain't like the dude can write a good song but he can rip apart a mic all day

GhettoGnom
12-27-2008, 09:27 PM
K-Rino

DJMethods
12-27-2008, 09:30 PM
Nas

hehsy5sy5
12-27-2008, 09:55 PM
ras kass and nas comes to mind...but idk bout nas cuz some of his songs have nice beats and some is just garbage so its like half and half...

The Lost Prophet
12-27-2008, 10:02 PM
Canibus....his album with Stoupe was one of the most brilliant pieces of music I have ever heard and he never before and never since has made anything I can tolerate and it certainly isn't due to his lyrical skills

Realist shit ever...i mean that album has me speechless every time...damn u Canibus.............

TAURO
12-27-2008, 10:40 PM
Nas came to mind first.

TSA
12-27-2008, 10:50 PM
Nas's beats aren't even that bad, they're actually dope now, Method Man has 0 taste in beats tho.

DJMethods
12-27-2008, 10:55 PM
Mr Meth just spits over ANYTHING.

Nas selects wack beats, his past 2 albums have been laced with some of the wackest beats ya herd.

TSA
12-27-2008, 10:57 PM
post a wack beat from NIGGER

DJMethods
12-27-2008, 11:00 PM
You're not serious? Those beats were wack as hell, trying to be "new school" and shit. Listen to Untitled (Nas doesnt have the courage to call his album NIGGER) then listen to Illmatic.

Pete Rock, Q-Tip, Large Pro... or... who did the beats on Untitled?

12weLvE
12-27-2008, 11:02 PM
Canibus... He even says it: "Lyrically I am the best, but my beats are o.k." Funny that he said that over one of the best beats he has ever rapped on. He needs to hook up with Stoupe again or I probably wont ever buy another bis album ever again.

BTW... I dont think NAs has a bad taste in beats... I actually think that the bets he picks are pretty nice... the only wack beat selection for an album of his IMO was Hip Hop is Dead.... Other than that he does a nice job.

diggy
12-27-2008, 11:24 PM
I've been contemplating Nas and his penchant for mostly picking beats which are weak and I think he does it on purpose. I think he does that so his message is not overshadowed by the music. If he made songs on good music, then the fans will ignore his lyrics and just pay attention to the music.

Also, rapping on weak music makes your lyrics sound stronger in comparison.

No matter what music Nas raps on, it is always worth listening to cuz he has something intelligent to say.

JerseyIronman
12-27-2008, 11:43 PM
I say youre wrong. Hes not great at beat selection, but hes not the all time worst of all time you moron.

First to mind are

Canibus
Ras Kass
Killah Preist
Nas

Ghost has shown to have a good ear for beats w/o RZA

MAYOR QUIMBY
12-28-2008, 02:26 AM
Canibus was the first in my mind.

Suga Duga
12-28-2008, 04:12 AM

wat

anyway, nas

Ritter
12-28-2008, 04:18 AM
Canibus has good beats.

Whoever said Killah Priest, is buggin. The beats fit him perfectly and he rips shit to pieces every time. He makes it look easy.

I don't know, they all have good beats, but I'll say Young Zee. There's only a few of his beats I can listen to.

PsYkOsUs
12-28-2008, 04:55 AM
Lately One Be Lo due to REBIRTH.. Beats were lame compared to SONOGRAM.. Jean Grae as of late.. Kweli after Quality.. Mos Def since I don't know when.. Canibus is mostly a miss beatwise, and lyrically.. Nas..

YungSunny
12-28-2008, 05:21 AM

Grandmasters.

shogun_assassin
12-28-2008, 08:29 AM
K-Rino

co sign

2Bladez
12-28-2008, 08:54 AM
I don't feel the beats of Kool G Rap, sometimes i have feeling that he doesn't care on his beats and he's glad that he can rap on to something, also ras kass, cormega and AZ too

UNCLE RUCKUS
12-28-2008, 09:02 AM
who did the beats on Untitled?

Was that a rhetorical question? Untitled is the deepest lyrical album out, so he probably didnt want his beats to outshine his lyrics. He already made Illmatic he dosent need to do that again, no matter how much YOU want it. Untitled was Untitled because Walmart would not carry it with the original title, so dont say thats Nas' fault. If he put some of those lyrics over Preemo beats, heads woudnt cath up until 2020 and the message was obviously too urgent for that to happen
Peace

DJMethods
12-28-2008, 09:06 AM
Was that a rhetorical question? Untitled is the deepest lyrical album out, so he probably didnt want his beats to outshine his lyrics. He already made Illmatic he dosent need to do that again, no matter how much YOU want it. Untitled was Untitled because Walmart would not carry it with the original title, so dont say thats Nas' fault. If he put some of those lyrics over Preemo beats, heads woudnt cath up until 2020 and the message was obviously too urgent for that to happen
Peace

Did you read this thread title. Did you? Seriously, did you?

Go up and have a look at the thread title, I'll wait.

Ok, seen it?

Now, go have a look at the post I responded to.

Quick, go go go.

Ok, now do you understand?

The thread is about beats, a poster said that Nas had good beats on Untitled, I disagreed.

Do you understand now? Good stuff!

Also, I LAUGH at people who say shit "people wont catch up". Did you listen to the same fucking album? There wasn't one lyric on there that I didn't get straight away, it was a basic, straight forward album about black people. It wasn't hard to understand, it was basic as hell.

Illmatic had deeper lines then Untitled (Or as I call it, Gutless) and much, much harder beats.

I'm sick of "above heads" shit.

DR. NICK RIVIERA
12-28-2008, 09:13 AM
DMX? hahaha ....

I will say Method Man and Nas does not have bad taste in beats. Meth had Tical 2000, which has some of the most BANGIN wu party beats ever. MEF 2000+ is a different story tho. I hope they choose bangin beats on BlackOut 2.

But saying Nas? Nas, one of those emcees THAT HAVE THE MOST CLASSIC/BANGIN tracks? Even Street's Disciple was filled with some nice beats. God's Son, Illmatic, Stillmatic, It Was Written, I Am, HHID, ..... even his underground/unreleased material have niiiice beats. Seriously, there so many nice beats in Nas career, it just outweight the wack ones. Same with Jay-Z.

UNCLE RUCKUS
12-28-2008, 09:43 AM
Did you read this thread title. Did you? Seriously, did you?

Go up and have a look at the thread title, I'll wait.

Ok, seen it?

Now, go have a look at the post I responded to.

Quick, go go go.

Ok, now do you understand?

The thread is about beats, a poster said that Nas had good beats on Untitled, I disagreed.

Do you understand now? Good stuff!

Also, I LAUGH at people who say shit "people wont catch up". Did you listen to the same fucking album? There wasn't one lyric on there that I didn't get straight away, it was a basic, straight forward album about black people. It wasn't hard to understand, it was basic as hell.

Illmatic had deeper lines then Untitled (Or as I call it, Gutless) and much, much harder beats.

I'm sick of "above heads" shit.

Number one relax.
Number two I do disagree that the beats on Untitled were wack
You misunderstood me about the catch up part of my post. Let me try to be more clear; if Untitled contained beats as hot as Illmatic people would be focused on the beats as opposed to lyrics. I think Nas felt that to get his point across to 2008 Amerikans he needed to simplify his beat selection and I think he succeded. He makes music for the people who love it, if you dont love its not for you; thats all. If you only like Illmatic and Stillmatic that is cool.
Peace

Ticallion
12-28-2008, 10:04 AM

"Rip the Jacker" is one of my favorite hip hop albums, Canibus should have Stoupe as his main producer

And Mef's last album had excellent production, yeah it wasn't the tradition Wu sound but it was a solid record

Tommy
12-28-2008, 01:11 PM
KRS-One

oDoUoSoKo
12-28-2008, 01:34 PM
lmao i knew people would bring Canibus up first..lmao

and yes KRS is unfortunately one of these rappers too.

Ghost In The 'Lac
12-28-2008, 01:39 PM
Eminem
2pac's ghost
Megalon
Jadakiss
Joe Budden
Papoose
Common (since after Electric circus)

+load and loads of underground backpackers whoe beats are more generic than walmart

DR. NICK RIVIERA
12-28-2008, 02:11 PM
^^^^ agree with you, but not on the Common tip. [damn I'm witty]

Common had some reaaaalllly dope production on Be and Finding Forever, actually he was a lot wacker than those beats deserve IMO.

THE DROZ
12-28-2008, 05:12 PM
Jay-z

vol 3 had the worst beats ever

SCMC8
12-28-2008, 07:03 PM
I don't feel the beats of Kool G Rap, sometimes i have feeling that he doesn't care on his beats and he's glad that he can rap on to something, also ras kass, cormega and AZ too

I got to disagree about Cormega. Nas comes to mind but he does have a lot of dope beats in his catalog then again I've been listening to God's Stepson a lot this week and it's so much better than the original. I'd probably say Eminem.

J-Cee
12-28-2008, 07:59 PM
Vanilla Ice and MC Hammer..no doubt

ALCATRAZ
12-28-2008, 09:46 PM
lol @ people sayin nas, he has great beat selection......any stoner would agree

man i cant even start listing songs wit ill beats from nas....too many

ALCATRAZ
12-28-2008, 09:48 PM
lol @ the first mc on ghostlaced list bein responsible for all tha wack beats from tha second mc on ur list...

marshall lost

Tecknowledgist
12-28-2008, 11:33 PM
Vinnie Paz

<_<

>_>

just kidding. Canibus. I actually like the strong majority of his beats, but they could be better no question. Wycelf's beats ruined his first album no doubt. 2000BC and Mic Club had good beats. RTJ had a amazing beats. FWTBT's beats were decent

Tracks
12-29-2008, 12:58 AM
def not nas, he does have some suspect beats, but he also has the majority of my favorite tracks ever.

i gotta cosign canibus.

The Hound
12-29-2008, 01:17 AM
hmmm i thought canibus' beat selections have improved immensely since rip the jacker

i'd say ice cube ... hasn't used a dope beat since lethal injection

Come Honor Face
12-29-2008, 01:27 AM

Are u serious? Uh, every one of them! That album, and evry album he's had since I Am, has had atrocious production. It's Nas hands down.

DoomSystem
12-29-2008, 01:49 AM
This one is EASY --- AZ, that is a no-brainer -- also Canibus is a good one too. Jadakiss is a good call too except for the fact that he picks those beats on purpose to try to stay on the commercial tip.... also I gotta say Ghostface --- without Rza beats, I just can't take it

2Bladez
12-29-2008, 08:55 AM
I got to disagree about Cormega. Nas comes to mind but he does have a lot of dope beats in his catalog then again I've been listening to God's Stepson a lot this week and it's so much better than the original. I'd probably say Eminem.

It's about your taste, for xmple in my opinion eminem's beats are way better than cormegas, i don't say it's a fact that cormegas beats are weak, it's just my opinion.

begongo
12-29-2008, 09:02 AM
KRS ... he's my fav dude ever but he got really bad taste in beats imo

Ghost In The 'Lac
12-29-2008, 09:20 AM
KRS ... he's my fav dude ever but he got really bad taste in beats imo

Again ALL of his BDP releases prove you wrong.

Not to mention the dolo classics.....

ZnydK0phSqM

e8_e4_0uqAc

NDWUyChXaDI

SO whatchu talkin bout sonny cheeba?

begongo
12-29-2008, 10:31 AM
everything you posted is just pre-97 classics, that's just a minority of tracks that stand out with great instrumentals

and what's the deal with the bdp releases? the instrumentals ain't that good

most of his beats are average and under average, especially the post 97 ones where of the beats 90% are just wackness

you just had an erection when you saw my name and you felt the need to counter it with something

just chill sonny cheeba