PDA

View Full Version : Techno Animal - Brotherhood of the Bomb

Cthulhu
12-29-2008, 02:32 PM
http://shopbase.finetunes.net/shopserver/BinaryCacheServlet?albumid=1194947588065&datatype=fc300

Anyone heard or heard of this album before? It's pretty awesome. Techno Animal is a collaboration between Justin Broadrick (ex-Napalm Death, Godflesh, Jesu, and a ton of other side projects) and Kevin Martin (frequent collaborator with Broadrick, also of God, Ice, Curse of the Golden Vampire, etc.)

I haven't heard their previous albums, but this one is like a mix of creepy industrial, hardcore/atlernative hip-hop, and spacy trip-hop/ambient dub beats. Half are instrumentals, half have guest vocalists: Rubberoom, Anti-Pop Consortium, Sonic Sum, Toastie Taylor, El-P and Vast Aire, and Dälek. I wondered if anyone is into this kind of stuff. Of course, I'm familiar with El-P and Cannibal Ox, and I've also heard some stuff by Anti-Pop and Dälek. It's pretty cutting edge stuff, and gives more than a hint of the emergence of dubstep. (This album's from 2001).

Speaking of dub/dubstep, Kevin Martin is also known as The Bug, the producer behind 2008's London Zoo album, which is pretty much the dancehall/grime/reggae equivalent of this album's take on hip-hop.

whitey
12-29-2008, 07:15 PM
im checking this out right now.

i love hip hop over techno so hopefully this is my cup of beer.

Cthulhu
12-30-2008, 11:19 AM
im checking this out right now.

i love hip hop over techno so hopefully this is my cup of beer.

It's not really techno, despite the band's name, it's more like noisy industrial-infused hip-hop with distorted wobbly dub basslines. If you've ever heard anything by Godflesh, you'll have an idea of what the beats sort of sound like.

Cthulhu
03-19-2009, 08:47 PM
Q39CgGKEK5c
_czrpe-0mG0
uE7mfZCEd2M
haRzBWSgAzo

Cthulhu
12-30-2009, 08:35 PM
Just figured I'd bump this for anyone that might dig this, especially since there's been a thread about hardcore hip hop recently - this is some hard-fucking-core hip-hop. This is a very slept on album IMO, though I guess that's to be expected with such a style of music.

whitey
12-30-2009, 09:12 PM
this seems like something bateman might be interested in

Cthulhu
12-30-2009, 09:16 PM
this seems like something bateman might be interested in

Did you ever check it out? You were the only one to reply to this a year ago, haha.