PDA

View Full Version : top albums of 2008

chiba
12-30-2008, 01:20 PM
Surprisingly most of my choices are actually mixtapes rather than albums. These albums are in no particular order.

1.) Royce the 5'9 Bar Exam 2:

Royce managed to out do his first bar exam mixtape with The angry and menacing Bar exam 2. I love this mixtape due to the fact that its no frills striaght up... shit talking Hip Hop. Royce's penchant for wordplay shines throughout as he kills some of this years most memorable beats...even out shinning their original hosts(T.I. and Lil Wayne anyone?).

2.) Charles Hamilton Outside Looking:

I first heard about Charles this summer, and the dude puts out a mixtape like every two weeks or something. He's a new artist that has alot of potential. Outside looking is a great mixtape that shows off the young mcess creativity. Highlights include Charles rhyming over a sample of Charlie and the Chocolate factory on "Pure Imagination" and his ode to girls of a certain New York Borough on "Brooklyn Girls".

Wale Mixtape about Nothing:

Wale pays hommage to argurably the best Sitcom ever on his Mixtape about Nothing. Truth is Wale does have a lot to say, as apperent on tracks like "Plan B" "Artistic Intergrity" and he even discusses the use of the N word ala nas. The beats are go go dance inspired with a Hip Hop twist making Wale a unique artist to watch for in 2009.

Ludacris Theatre of the Mind:

Luda showed and proved this year with a solid album that is just as much an ode to the underground as it is the mainstream. Dj Premier blessed Luda on the exceptional MVP giving Luda a vintage beat that even Guru would feel comfortable rhyming over. On "Wake up" Luda is assisted by Common,and this makes for one of the albums highlights as both mcess felx their concious rhyming skills. Nas and Jay z show up on "I do it for Hip Hop" and each mcee tears the track to shreds respectfully. Without doubt the most consitent and enjoyable mainstream album this year.

Kanye 808's and Heartbreak:

You either love this album or you hate it. I tend to like it, Kanye proves that he can do produce a melancholy album of electro mixed with tribal drums and still be relevent in Hip Hop. Some beats are just brilliant on this, and no I'm not talking about "Love Lockdown" or "Heartless". Kanye's use of strings and drums on Robocop make it imo the best track on the album/ with Street lights not too far behind. In my opinion their is no beat on the album that is weak...my only gripe is Kanye using the over used Auto Tune on the majority of the album. Although 808's is not an album I would bump everyday, it still is one of the best of the year.

Nas the N tape:

Not to be confused with Nas' untitled album, this is teh far superiour mixtape.When I first heard the N tape in the summer I was blown away. The subject matter was eloquent and entertaining. It seemed as though Nas was back in full form "Lets go Esco" was haunting and made the bass in your whip boom. Hero was a banger with a great beat by polow the Don. Too many bangers to count, I was sure this was just a tidbit to tide me over for the real thing. But it tuns out the untitled album was a severe letdown....Chris Brown and Nas? why? did we really need that?

Honorable mentions: Blu and Mindframe Jhonson and Johnson/ Clipse Play Cloths mixtape/ Charles Hamilton the L word Mixtape/ Lil Wayne Carter 3/ Charles Hamilton Pink Lava Lamp/

well thats my short list I'm sure theirs some albums I'm forgetting but thats all I can think of that made me "move" this year.

cap
12-30-2008, 02:47 PM
reks - grey hairs
murs - murs for president
ransom - street cinema
ransom - pan & glory 2
nas - untitled
buckshot & 9th wonder - the formula
heltah skeltah - d.i.r.t.
the game - lax
ludacris - theater of the mind
joe budden - halfway house

all solid albums!

Afficial_Nastee
12-30-2008, 02:55 PM
Onyx - Cold Case Files

snakesonawiggly
12-30-2008, 03:04 PM
GZA - Pro Tools and Guilty Simpson - Ode to The Ghetto are my favs of the years

chiba
12-30-2008, 03:08 PM
forgot to mention

planet asia vs dj muggz

Sgt Holly Wood
12-30-2008, 03:18 PM
nas-untitled
the roots-rising down
kool keith-dr dooom 2

chiba
12-30-2008, 06:30 PM
^ i found his other 2 albums were better
than LAX

LAX is a solid but didnt outdo the other 2 game joints

half\\//\\//ayCrook
12-30-2008, 06:43 PM
krayzie bone - Smoke on This mixtape
was fire.

should be in this list

cap
12-30-2008, 06:56 PM
than LAX

definite co-sign

Ticallion
01-01-2009, 12:35 AM
than LAX

I agree

Doctor's Advocate is one of my favorite albums and had the illest beats

But LAX is good

Nas' Untitled CD is dope as well

hide1998
01-01-2009, 02:50 AM
My top 10 favorite hip-hop albums of 2008 (in order):

01. Nas - Untitled
02. The Roots - Rising Down
03. Del - The Eleventh Hour
04. Opio - Vulture's Wisdom Vol.1
05. Mighty Joseph - The Uprising
06. Hell Razah & Shabazz the Disciple - T.H.U.G Angels
07. Almighty- Original S.I.N.
08. GZA - Pro Tools
09. Dr.Dooom 2
10. Q-Tip - The Renaissance

All of these still get plenty of spins in my stereo.

Dirty Knowledge
01-01-2009, 03:16 AM
too many to list...shit was bangin this year...commercial and underground tip.

Suga Duga
01-01-2009, 07:45 AM
Albums

http://www.hhnoise.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/vordul_mega_album.jpg

http://www.mixmatters.com/hot/2008/images/Young_Jeezy-The_Recession.jpg

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/519AyIwioxL._SS500_.jpg

Mixtapes

http://i38.tinypic.com/otfar5.jpg

http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/9425/playnv7.jpg

SL33
01-01-2009, 08:24 AM
Lets go Esco is better than most of Untitled songs..

swizz-chef
01-01-2009, 11:17 AM
Black Milk - Tronic

no fuckin question.