PDA

View Full Version : Big news regarding iTunes

EAGLE EYE
01-06-2009, 01:13 PM
http://www.crazedhits.com/apple-inks-deals-with-sony-wmg-and-umg/

----------------------------------------------------------------------

By the end of this quarter Apple's iTunes store will enable all of its 8 million mp3's as DRM Free. However they had to agree to a pricing Tier with the major labels.
The tier is the following:

$.69 and $1.29

I'm gonna assume people will be paying more for newer releases, and less for older stuff. Curious how this will go over with people.

DRUNKENDRAGON
01-06-2009, 01:17 PM
What's DRM?!

EAGLE EYE
01-06-2009, 01:18 PM
What's DRM?!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_rights_management

the shittiest idea ever created for music

Tyler Durden
01-06-2009, 03:01 PM
Holy fuck, so with DRM, I could buy an album and only have like 50 listens of it, then no more is allowed??

Have I read that wrong or something, I'm watching the telly at the same time

Ghost In The 'Lac
01-06-2009, 03:13 PM
fuck a itunes

EAGLE EYE
01-06-2009, 03:44 PM
Holy fuck, so with DRM, I could buy an album and only have like 50 listens of it, then no more is allowed??

Have I read that wrong or something, I'm watching the telly at the same time

Thats the extreme end of DRM. Only one company tried doing that I think and failed hard.

I remember a few weeks back Wal mart were going to shut down their DRM servers that protected its mp3 store products. They basically told consumers they had two weeks to burn all their shit to cd-r or their loss. Talk about a bad business model.

Apple is taking the right initiative. Not everyone wants to own a iPod and be restricted to using the proprietary .m4a file format. People may want to purchase music from the store and put it on whatever device they prefer.

And Ghostlaced:

The numbers dont lie. Digital music sales have surpassed physical media in 2008. Cd's wont be going away anytime soon. I mean we still have vinyl dont we..

I'm willing to guess that later in this year iTunes will start a tier pricing for music being labeled "mastered" or "lossless" audio. Obviously at a higher price for the quality.

L~>1<~NKS
01-06-2009, 04:35 PM
itunes/iphones/ipods

idon'tgiveafuck

overrated/overpriced garbagio.... but your welcome to d-load any of my future produced albums on them.

irony