PDA

View Full Version : Ras Kass about HipHop's Hall of Fame

DR. NICK RIVIERA
01-07-2009, 12:57 AM
lol, I smh'd

Hey Young World,
(actually, half the rap games name is "Yung" nowadays. lol)

What up everybody! Happy New Years, I hope your 2009 (and especially mine) is better than 2008!! God willing...
Well, with the year winding down we get to the inevitable list of lists: you know, from NewsWeek to Entertainment Weekly, the lists of top this, and top that... countdowns; all of the lists -essentially opinions- but for the most of them given some degree of legitimacy becuz they were compiled by "experts" in their perspective medium/field. And now, with the culmination of the Entertainment Industries "Top" list; the Academy Awards, I'm reminded of the age old debate (argument really) held in barbershops around the world; Raps search for the elusive and exclusive GOAT!
Now when I mention GOAT, the fact is that its arguably impossible to pick just one, single MC but just the process people use to the Top 20 names on a list of of prospective GOATS is what..pun intended, gets my goat. lol
For starters, rappers are one of the only groups in the Entertainment Industry (American job force really) who have no Union or Guild. Thus, they are easily pit against one another by labels, lawyers, etc... and have no unified voice. Which means, unlike the movie Industry (Actors/Actresses) we have no way to gauge who our "peers" and contemporaries regard as doing exemplary work. The result is Validation by Soundscan which is actually a contradiction in terms; compared to an Academy Awards who merits "greatness" and is peer driven, a Grammy is based on consumers, not "experts" and more akin to a Peoples Choice Award. Hardly as exclusive and of aesthetic value. (No Disrespect)
Academy award (best actor, best actress, best movie) winners actually tend to be under-performers at the box office. The same way alot of the more avante garde/creative/lyrical hip hop albums tend to be relegated to the "underground." Whic was fine apparently in the beginning..remeber Q-Tip, "rap is not pop, if you call it that stop"? Everybody from NWA to De La Soul stressed not "selling out."
Unfortunately, once some of our more outstanding (lyrical) MC's also achieved commercial success they became a little hypocritical,and set the bar ridiculously high saying " You're not great if you dont sell 5 million albums like I did" But these same people were given "great" status before they hadplatinum albums based soley on thier talent. But we all fell for it, and somewhere down the line weve found out that weve lost our way..
There are many awards shows in rap. Each with its own agenda, politics, and bias: Source Awards (remember Benzino?) XXL (remember the Eminem beef), Ozone (southern-centric) BET (ditto) Grammy's (RIAA) etc... but no one, true quintessential show that fairly covers the full spectrum and diversity of hip hop. Id love to be at the award show where JayZ gives a rookie of the year award to Elzhi or Nelly giving out a "Lifetime Achievment Award" to the family of Marlon Brando (RIP) of the Sporty Thievez (who in my opinion is the greatest true hero of hip hop, every major rap magazine dropped the ball and continue to drop it with his passing. Sorry, he wasnt "HOT", shameful)
So what is the criteria for judging the GOAT? I mean, at some point you do have to assimilate commercial success based on the social impact and relevance a rapper has. But is it long term or fleeting? Kwame had gang members rockin polka dots! Deadass.. But that was so ephemeral. (Again, no disrespect) Wheras, the impact of Tupac Shakur can still be registered today; you saw Pac in his contemporaries from DMX, Ja Rule to newer artists like Plies. JayZ has a legitimate claim, " Jigga held it down for six summers....damn" He garnered the respect of his peers lyrically, polarized the streets and move the units to become a mogul. Eminem has the legs to stand on too in sheer units sold per album - the boy did diamond (10 million) 3 out of 4 albums! He who coined the term of course, LL: 13 Albums! He made Def Jam. "Im Bad!"
And again, thats where record sales being the premise to judge relevance or importance is a crock of shit. If we calim for GOAThood based strictly on that, then you have to automatically put these rappers in your top 20 List:
Young MC
Vanilla Ice
Souljah Boy
MC Hammer

again no disrespect but it underscores how outlandish records sales are for induction into HIP HOP HALL OF FLAME. Not discounting sales totally, you do have to get in the league to play in the ALL STAR GAME.lol
So Id go as far as to try to name judging criteria for the HALL OF FLAME to eventually determining the GOAT.

Musical Factors:
1. Orginality
2. Volume of Work (or lack of it)
3. Song/Album Concepts
4. WordPlay
5. Consistency/Growth
6. Live Performance
7. Style/ Delivery
8. Freestyle Ability
9. Guest Appearances (Murk Outs)
10. Peer Impact/ Relevance
11. Club/Street "Bangers"

Personal Factors:
1. Charisma (Swagger)
2. Mogul Moves (upward mobility)
3. Consumer (social impact)
4. "Ghostwriterless-ness"

( I encourage you to add or amend these criteria in your comments as you see fit.)

I think 10 is very important you cant be the greatest if you get bodied on your own songs.

I hope I have created a dialogue with a sensible foundation. Have a Happy New Year!

One Mic,
Ras

In a quest to find the Goat Id like to submit applicants for the Hall of Flame.

Hall of Flame:
LL Cool J Rakim KRS1 ScarFace Big Daddy Kane Biggie Tupac Special Ed Kool G Rap Nas Big Punisher Big L Mc Shan JazO JayZ GZA Buckshot Mos Def Talib Kweli Jadakiss Styles P Juelz Santana Ice Cube Ludacris TI Eminem DOC Common Skills Ras Kass Malice (Clipse) Llyod Banks Keith Murray Canibus Kurupt Killah Priest Andre 3000 Twista Pharoah Monch Redman Jayo Felony Raekwon Ghostface Busta Rhymes Fabolous Yukmouth Crooked I OC BlackThought Tray Deee BG Joe Buddens Royce59 Cassidy Slick Rick ChinoXL Planet Asia, Lupe Fiasco Lil Wayne
(No Disrespect, there are many dope rappers who I just don't consider lyricists. There is a difference)
Groups:
Run DMC EPMD Smiff and Wessun The Lox Outkast Onyx Public Enemy Dogg Pound Pete Rock & CL Smooth Ultramagnetic MCs Brand Nubian ATCQ Clipse Whodini UGK Gangstarr NWA Camp Lo Dead Prez De la Soul Cypress Hill

Female MCs:

Queen Latifah MC Lyte Lauren Hill Shawnna

-Taken from Ras Kass Myspace Blog: The Goat

http://www.youngandthefly.com/2009/01/ras-kass-speaks-on-who-should-be-in-hip.html

spiggity_ace
01-07-2009, 01:16 AM
thats a pretty dope list, for groups he left wu out, i wonder why, and also for groups i would want him to put bone thugs, but other than that its pretty good y would he hav twista their instead of bone, and tech n9ne, i think they better than him and they have similar styles, twista aint that lyrical IMO, Krayzie bone is a dope lyricist as well as tech n9ne.

DR. NICK RIVIERA
01-07-2009, 01:24 AM
I wouldn't say that. He moved with some pretty dope lyricist, and he rather puts Juelz Santana in his list?

And no Too Poetic? Is he crazy???

BIG D O
01-07-2009, 02:43 AM
read this on another site the other day...

great to see Ras is still on point man.....now if he could just focus his music like this write up.....

The Hound
01-07-2009, 04:18 AM
i didn't read it all just the list but he left out the wu?

no wu tang? LOL dude failed on that

Tecknowledgist
01-07-2009, 06:17 AM
who cares about his list. its the paragraphs above it that you should be reading

Edgar Erebus
01-07-2009, 01:46 PM
^^^

Correct.

For starters, rappers are one of the only groups in the Entertainment Industry (American job force really) who have no Union or Guild. Thus, they are easily pit against one another by labels, lawyers, etc... and have no unified voice. Which means, unlike the movie Industry (Actors/Actresses) we have no way to gauge who our "peers" and contemporaries regard as doing exemplary work. The result is Validation by Soundscan which is actually a contradiction in terms; compared to an Academy Awards who merits "greatness" and is peer driven, a Grammy is based on consumers, not "experts" and more akin to a Peoples Choice Award. Hardly as exclusive and of aesthetic value.

Now this was deep.

-The A to the Z-
01-07-2009, 02:35 PM
That was a pretty well thought out piece there, and quite original.

Too bad the list itself pales in comparison to the reasoning.

snapple
01-07-2009, 03:49 PM
watd ras kass have like 2 songs?

sdeblasi
01-07-2009, 05:12 PM
^ Ras Kass has a classic LP in Soul on Ice, a sophomore follow up which was OK with some really dope songs, he has two unreleased studi albums which are dope (Goldyn Child is very dope). He almost always outshines other people when featured on their tracks...when he is focused on writing deep shit he has all the tools to be one of the best (lyrics, charisma, delivery, humor, flow)...and he has about 5 diff mixtapes out there. He has a pretty big catalogue but hasn't made an official album in forever...he's def always been one of my favorite MCs and i guarantee you his next album which will be coming out either this year or next will be ridiculous.

peace

Ghost In The 'Lac
01-07-2009, 05:16 PM
did he really just put Malice in over Pusha T?

fail.

entirety fail

sdeblasi
01-07-2009, 05:16 PM
And i was lookin at the raskass-central forums and thought this would be really cool to show you guys how close Ras is with his fans...he wrote this letter to the ras kass forums from jail just to give his fans updates:

What up RKC,

I hope everybody out there is doing well and enjoying life. Oh, consider this the first of a semi-regular blog. (Mister Lepht has been telling me for ages that I should write more, but imagine a writer who is adverse to writing, lol) Mainly, I just wanted to thank you all for riding with me through a pretty rough spate; from the death of Van Gogh to the present. It's been an adventure! If nothing else you gotta admit its been exciting. So now that we are moving into a new year, 2009 with a new collective attitude, with a new president even, I am optimistic. Honestly I believe that Hip Hop has changed the world, it brought people from around the world closer and gave us a common unifying culture that created the environment that made a Barrack Obama possible. Hip Hop elected Obama. And I say all that to say; that music is what inspired me so I dont regret the journey, thus far, that Hip Hop has given me.There have admittedly been obstacles, some blatant player-hations, and others self induced, but character building nonetheless. And the truth is, I wouldnt have the opportunity if it wasnt for you all, the hip hop community and RKC. So in this new era, expect a new me! A re-energized Ras Kass. I will always be true to my artistic self, so hopefully with all the bullshit behind us and the end to legal problems we can look forward to the light at the end of the tunnel. 2009 Bay-bee! Innovation, creativity, good music, thinking music, real talk and SPIT. Thats what I do.

One Mic,
R

and heres info on his new album:
Ras has plans to record several songs once he is out.. A mixtape currently intitled "BulletProof" will be given out 1 song at a time each week and on the final week the entire mixtape will downloadable for free.. This may go on for several weeks over the year when Ras will release a album on major label..

snapple
01-07-2009, 11:00 PM
classic album?..u sure......i guess i'll have 2 check it out....we are talking about miami life right?...understandable smooth....same dude?

11th Chamber
01-07-2009, 11:04 PM
Ras Kass is a sad story

Once a respectable MC in the rap game, now gets beat up by other rappers, THAN posts video's of himself after said fight, crying saying "LOOK WHAT YOU DID TO MY FACE!!"

and has subjected listeners to lines like "the Vida Guerra sidekick hacker"

Miliato
01-07-2009, 11:28 PM
cant put any Wu members in the hall of fame without INS, considerin that around when Forever dropped he was prob the illest rapper in the game

SickT
01-07-2009, 11:57 PM
classic album?..u sure......i guess i'll have 2 check it out....we are talking about miami life right?...understandable smooth....same dude?

yep. seriously u gotta check Soul On Ice. That album is insane.

Miliato
01-08-2009, 09:38 AM
yea Soul On Ice is a fire album....to bad that shits impossible to find unless you download or pay big doe on amazon

-The A to the Z-
01-16-2009, 01:16 PM
^^ Might as well give it:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=OH8FHVCO

It's OOP, no reprocussions permitted, suckers.

oldie
01-16-2009, 01:26 PM
In a quest to find the Goat Id like to submit applicants for the Hall of Flame.

Hall of Flame:
LL Cool J Rakim KRS1 ScarFace Big Daddy Kane Biggie Tupac Special Ed Kool G Rap Nas Big Punisher Big L Mc Shan JazO JayZ GZA Buckshot Mos Def Talib Kweli Jadakiss Styles P Juelz Santana Ice Cube Ludacris TI Eminem DOC Common Skills Ras Kass Malice (Clipse) Llyod Banks Keith Murray Canibus Kurupt Killah Priest Andre 3000, Twista Pharoah Monch Redman Jayo Felony Raekwon Ghostface Busta Rhymes Fabolous, Yukmouth Crooked I OC BlackThought Tray Deee BG Joe Buddens Royce59, Cassidy Slick Rick ChinoXL Planet Asia, Lupe Fiasco, Lil Wayne
(No Disrespect, there are many dope rappers who I just don't consider lyricists. There is a difference)
Groups:
Run DMC EPMD Smiff and Wessun The Lox Outkast Onyx Public Enemy Dogg Pound Pete Rock & CL Smooth Ultramagnetic MCs Brand Nubian ATCQ Clipse Whodini UGK Gangstarr NWA Camp Lo Dead Prez De la Soul Cypress Hill

Female MCs:

Queen Latifah MC Lyte Lauren Hill Shawnna

-Taken from Ras Kass Myspace Blog: The Goat

http://www.youngandthefly.com/2009/01/ras-kass-speaks-on-who-should-be-in-hip.html

Nah im sorry but with those in bold/italic....

some of them is just a complete joke to be considered GOATs!!!!

the most embarassing are Cassidy, Fabolous & Lil Wayne - WTF is goin on?!?!?!?

if those are considered GOATs then hip-hop is one big sad state of affairs, if one of those was to become crowned (so to speak) GOAT then i would actually consider Hip-Hop to be dead!

hehsy5sy5
01-16-2009, 05:15 PM

if those are considered GOATs then hip-hop is one big sad state of affairs, if one of those was to become crowned (so to speak) GOAT then i would actually consider Hip-Hop to be dead!

royce is ill though, one of cats i be checkin out wen they come out wit new shit. agree wit da other shit though

DUMBO
01-16-2009, 06:27 PM
i find rza to be a dope mc, but he is rarely mentioned, unless he is mentioning himself.

also, what's up the "god willing" crap? i though rass kass was enlightened.

spiggity_ace
01-16-2009, 06:32 PM

you seriously think chino andre 3000 dont deserve to be their, i agree with the rest but seriously man? Chino is probably the king of punchlines check the song beastin with killah priest, and no complex, andre is dope but i hated wen he started singing n shit, his verses on atliens aquemini and southernplayalistic are true hip hop though.

NAKHI the SOLORIAN
01-16-2009, 06:46 PM
now that was deep...........

but he should have included Jean Grae as far as female emcees....other than that it was all on point

oldie
01-16-2009, 08:32 PM
royce is ill though, one of cats i be checkin out wen they come out wit new shit. agree wit da other shit though

yeah im not sayin everyone i highlighted are out n out wack, i only ever heard royce on other peoples tracks, he isnt wack but doesnt come near GOAT contention....

oldie
01-16-2009, 08:36 PM
you seriously think chino andre 3000 dont deserve to be their, i agree with the rest but seriously man? Chino is probably the king of punchlines check the song beastin with killah priest, and no complex, andre is dope but i hated wen he started singing n shit, his verses on atliens aquemini and southernplayalistic are true hip hop though.

well i aint sure about Chino, i aint heard enough of him tbh but from what i have heard he isnt in contention with the likes of the people mentioned up till and including GZA (on Rass' list).
yeah i checked that Beastin track right now, kinda ill!

Andre, ive never liked southern hip-hop cept Luda but Aquemini was a nice album and i always remember one track i thought was quite ill, one of the 1st on the album, cant remember the name but Andre did spit something alrite on that track...
but he again IMO isnt in contention by far to fuck with the likes of G Rap, Kane, Big L, GZA etc

Afficial_Nastee
01-16-2009, 09:19 PM
Yo oldie, Chino XL is def a dope MC and you can call him one of the GOATS, his first two cd's are dope classics....
He's one of the best when it comes to punchlines.... Actually he never released a wack cd....

sdeblasi
01-16-2009, 10:07 PM
oldie, you gotta check for Royce your way underrating him hes been one of my fav mc's for a long time he comes hard on everything check his first two albums Rock City and Death is Certain...hes got a new one coming out in April too you should check the single called Shake this prod. by Premier

Also if you haven't heard Boom your missing out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQNDRrZflBA

oldie
01-17-2009, 10:28 AM
oldie, you gotta check for Royce your way underrating him hes been one of my fav mc's for a long time he comes hard on everything check his first two albums Rock City and Death is Certain...hes got a new one coming out in April too you should check the single called Shake this prod. by Premier

Also if you haven't heard Boom your missing out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQNDRrZflBA

i checked that link, Royce aint too bad is he! think i'll check for him! thnx man

DR. NICK RIVIERA
01-18-2009, 02:34 AM
Chino XL and Andre 3000 are two of the dopest rappers out, IMO they are better than most of the CLan even.

hehsy5sy5
01-18-2009, 03:18 AM
i checked that link, Royce aint too bad is he! think i'll check for him! thnx man

cop "death is certain" first, album is bangin his best album to date...after that u can cop "rock city 2.0"[there's other versions of rock city but the 2.0 version is better than the one he was suppose to release]it has its share of good songs, and get his bar exam mixtapes shits good

DR. NICK RIVIERA
01-19-2009, 10:21 PM
lol of all emcees, Royce

he's more outdated than the wu

Miliato
01-19-2009, 10:26 PM
cop "death is certain" first, album is bangin his best album to date...after that u can cop "rock city 2.0"[there's other versions of rock city but the 2.0 version is better than the one he was suppose to release]it has its share of good songs, and get his bar exam mixtapes shits good

hellllllllllllllllllll no....build & destroy is his best shit