PDA

View Full Version : Artists that NEVER dropped a dissapointing album?

claaa7
01-08-2009, 09:53 AM
Just thought about this; which act do you think have fucking supreme discographys, i mean never ever dropped a sub-par album?? ..i can't think of too many actually, most of the really great hip-hop artists have dropped a couple of dissapointing albums including Wu-Tang, Nas, Jay-Z, Eminem, Bumpy Knuckles, O.C, Rakim, yeah the list goes on and on.. Some have even been so close, like A Tribe Called Quest - if they had split up before "The Love Movement" they catalouge had been perfect imo.

well my first nominee is in my top-5 groups of all time:

Showbiz & A.G.
* Runaway Slave (10/10)
* Goodfellas (9/10)
* Full Scale (9/10)
* Live Hard EP (9.5/10)

Notorious B.I.G., although he only dropped 2 albums they are both real solid:
* Ready to Die (10/10)
* Life After Death (9/10)

Jay Dee A.K.A. J Dilla
* Welcome 2 Detroit (9/10)
* Donuts (9/10)
* The Shining (9/10)

Dr. Dre
* The Chronic (10/10)
* 2001 (9/10)

...but most of these have only dropped 2-3 albums so it's definitely a bit unfair to those who dropped 7 albums. Maybe GangStarr but i haven't heard "No More Mr. Nice Guy" so i can't say. M.O.P. maybe, Outkast.. hmmm?? what y'all think?

Ghost In The 'Lac
01-08-2009, 10:03 AM
ok quickly off the top:

MF DOOM (as MF DOOM)

Outkast (all the way thru to Idlewild has been literally, incredible)

Quasimoto ( i count him as a seperate artist)

Geto Boys

Lil Wayne

Jeezy

Cam'ron

Beastie Boys

UGK

The Coup

Boogie Down Productions

Fat Boys

The Fugees

The Roots (???)

2Pac

Three 6 Mafia (shit load of albums but all pretty consistant)

NWA

RUn DMC

De La Soul (MAYBE)

Mos Def (IMO, I liked all his albums)

Scarface

Ritter
01-08-2009, 10:10 AM
Masta Ace

Take A Look Around(4/5)
Slaughterhouse (4/5)
Sittin On Chrome (4,5/5)
Disposable Arts (4,5/5)
A Long Hot Summer (5/5)
The Show (4,5/5)

OutKast

Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik (5/5)
ATLiens (6/5)
Aquemini (5,5/5)
Stankonia (4/5)
SB/LB (4,5/5)
Idlewild (4/5)

CunninLynguists

Will Rap For Food (4,5/5)
SouthernUnderground (4,5/5)
A Piece Of Strange (4,5/5)
Dirty Acres (5/5)

Close your eyes now, GHOSTLACED.

Vakill

Kill Em All (4/5)
The Darkest Cloud (4,5/5)
Worst Fears Confirmed (4,5/5)

Shad

When This Is Over (4,5/5)
The Old Prince (5/5)

Edgar Allen Floe

True Links (5/5)
Floe Almighty (4/5)
Road To Streetwise (4/5)
Streetwise LP (4/5)

Durag
01-08-2009, 10:10 AM
^Dont agree with Run DMC, their last one or two were wack

De La Soul's Art Official... albums werent that great

Durag
01-08-2009, 10:15 AM
Shizzah is Edgar Allen Floe actually any good? I never heard of him before so i looked at reviews and hes gotten some pretty bad reviews. Heres one from rapreviews
http://www.rapreviews.com/archive/2006_03_floealmighty.html

shogun_assassin
01-08-2009, 10:19 AM
biggie
kool g rap
redman

claaa7
01-08-2009, 10:19 AM
i'm talking 'bout albums where as good as all of them are close to personal classic to you.. of course it's a matter of taste but personally i really don't think Scarface solo career has been that great, he has a good 2-3 classics under his belt but not all of them is that good... De La Soul definitely had a good run but the 2nd installment of AOI can't be compared to "Buhloone Mind State" for example.

i haven't heard the first Fugees album but i heard it was pretty weak compared to "The Score".

Ghost In The 'Lac
01-08-2009, 10:21 AM
CunninLynguists

Will Rap For Food (4,5/5)
SouthernUnderground (4,5/5)
A Piece Of Strange (4,5/5)
Dirty Acres (5/5)

Close your eyes now, GHOSTLACED.

Vakill

Kill Em All (4/5)
The Darkest Cloud (4,5/5)
Worst Fears Confirmed (4,5/5)

Shad

When This Is Over (4,5/5)
The Old Prince (4,5/5)

Edgar Allen Floe

True Links (5/5)
Floe Almighty (4/5)
Road To Streetwise (4/5)
Streetwise LP (4,5/5)

LMAO!!

Get out of here with that wack pussy shit yo!! No one's listening to that!! apart form a few serbs and germans, who has ever heard of those people? Even in the hip hop community, no one knows who they are!! lol

Senator C. Palantine
01-08-2009, 10:23 AM
I cant think of any.

2001 was shitty.

Life After Death wasnt great.

Maybe doom.

Iron Flag is wack.

Speaker Boxxxxxxxxxxx sucks dick.

cap
01-08-2009, 10:26 AM
all of pac's album were good actually,not counting his posthumous shit (and theres even infinite bangers on that!)

Durag
01-08-2009, 10:26 AM
Yeah i never really like "Life After Death", and i loved "2001" at the time, but now it just sounds like kiddie gangsta rap.

There really is very few, who have released consisntantly 8.5 - 10/10 albums.

Wait for all the Pac stans to come in and say him.

Senator C. Palantine
01-08-2009, 10:29 AM
Nas' catalouge was flawless.

Until he released a second album.

claaa7
01-08-2009, 10:36 AM
^^ you buggin, "It Was Written" is ill as fuck and most recognize that these days. sure it got hated on when it first dropped cuz it wasn't "Illmatic" but it's really an insane album. it was first with "It Was Written" and "Nastradamus" that he started slacking and i believe that that would have been a crazy nice album if it wasn't for leakers fucking that up.

Senator C. Palantine
01-08-2009, 10:39 AM
yeah I was just playing.

It was written is a good album.

After that though........

KLIION JENSEN
01-08-2009, 10:39 AM
Lil Wayne - not that i really listen to him, but everytime, you get what you expect...some bullshit, but ya not dissapointed cos ya not expecting an amazing album

Cam'ron - similar to Wayne, but he's actually good, and again, you get what you expect

Boogie Down Productions/Krs One - amazing everytime, sometimes its not as good as the previous album, but its always dope

The Fugees - Blunted On Reality was dope, then The Score was doper

NWA - Straight Outta Compton & Efil4Zaggin - both absolutley amazing albums

Gang Starr - for me, Moment Of Truth was their low point, Hard To Earn their high point, everything else was steady

claaa7
01-08-2009, 10:42 AM
^^ i'm about to agree on "Moment of Truth", i still think it's a real banging album but the sound was just so polished compared to the previous albums.

Senator C. Palantine
01-08-2009, 10:42 AM
Pcp?

Tage
01-08-2009, 10:47 AM
^ahahaha... now that deserves rep
"You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later."
^unlucky

Cage, Copywrite & Cunninlynguists... is all i can think of now.

...Louis Logic?

2Bladez
01-08-2009, 10:48 AM
Rakim, 2Pac, Gang Starr, Ghostface

and i don't rate artists who dropped only 2 albums

claaa7
01-08-2009, 10:50 AM
no one but me acknowledge Showbiz & AG in here? ...that's some fucked up shit!

KLIION JENSEN
01-08-2009, 10:52 AM
^^ i'm about to agree on "Moment of Truth", i still think it's a real banging album but the sound was just so polished compared to the previous albums.

yeah yeah, its still a great album that i listen to every now & then, but its too clean in comparison to the rest, i prefer The Ownerz to M.O.T.

Ghost In The 'Lac
01-08-2009, 11:22 AM
i prefer The Ownerz to M.O.T.

wowww

i read alot of winehouse type shit in here, but that...

Durag
01-08-2009, 11:29 AM
no one but me acknowledge Showbiz & AG in here? ...that's some fucked up shit!

Nah man i got ya back, even from their "Soul Clap" EP they've been literally flawless, one of the greatest duo's ever and my favourite.

And i definitly prefer "moment of truth" to "the ownerz", i think MOT is amazing though

claaa7
01-08-2009, 11:35 AM
^^ damn right, i forgot the "Soul Clap EP" - that is a underground classic as well.. btw do you got that in your collection?? ..i finally got "Goodfellas" yesterday, maybe i should try to get ahold of Soul Clap as well.

Edgar Erebus
01-08-2009, 11:38 AM
EPMD
Strictly Business (5/5)
Unfinished Business (5/5)
Business as Usual (4.5/5)
Business Never Personal (5/5)
Back in Business (4/5)
Out of Business (4/5)
We Mean Business (4/5)

Gang Starr - for me, Moment Of Truth was their low point, Hard To Earn their high point, everything else was steady

And finally someone who dares to say the truth about the Moment.

Durag
01-08-2009, 11:39 AM
^^ damn right, i forgot the "Soul Clap EP" - that is a underground classic as well.. btw do you got that in your collection?? ..i finally got "Goodfellas" yesterday, maybe i should try to get ahold of Soul Clap as well.

No, i dont have "Soul Clap" ive heard it but i dont own the physical copy, its quite expensive but its on my list. Yeah, i noticed you got "Goodfellas" how much you pay?

You were 100% right about "Full Scale" and "Live Hard", both amazing albums. Im absolutly loving "Full Scale", cant believe i waited so long to get it, its definitly on the level of "Goodfellas".

KLIION JENSEN
01-08-2009, 11:44 AM
wowww

i read alot of winehouse type shit in here, but that...

lol @ winehouse type shit...

but really, whats wrong with what i prefer ?? like i said before Moment Of truth was their lowest point, dont mean its shit, a couple of the songs were just....blah, same with The Ownerz, a couple of songs were blah..but the good ones on The Ownerz were better than the good ones on Moment Of Truth...

THE W
01-08-2009, 12:01 PM
everybody has at least one.

Jeru
01-08-2009, 12:13 PM
Rakim, 2Pac, Gang Starr, Ghostface

and i don't rate artists who dropped only 2 albums

Rakim only dropped 2 albums LOL...and his second one was subpar

KLIION JENSEN
01-08-2009, 12:20 PM

are you not including the 4 albums he dropped with Eric B ?? cos eric B did fuck all on them albums, no beats or scratches, he talked abit of shit on Paid In Full, thats about it, so if you really think about it Rakim dropped 6 albums..

The Hound
01-08-2009, 12:27 PM
all eyez on me is garbage and speakerboxxx is weak

xzibits albums after restless were shit

pretty toney was garbage

Jeru
01-08-2009, 12:29 PM
are you not including the 4 albums he dropped with Eric B ?? cos eric B did fuck all on them albums, no beats or scratches, he talked abit of shit on Paid In Full, thats about it, so if you really think about it Rakim dropped 6 albums..

I'm saying Eric B and Rakim albums weren't Rakim solo albums cuz they were a group...don't matter if Eric B did nothing on those albums...they were Eric B and Rakim...not Rakim.

KLIION JENSEN
01-08-2009, 12:41 PM
^ well fuck it then, Eric B & Rakim never dissapointed...

...niether did Shyheim, Redman, Kris Kross or Da Brat

cap
01-08-2009, 01:19 PM
all eyez on me is garbage

and you call yourself a hip hop head?

KLIION JENSEN
01-08-2009, 01:22 PM

for real, thats a dope album right there....and i dont even like 2Pacs music that much

Ritter
01-08-2009, 01:35 PM
Shizzah is Edgar Allen Floe actually any good? I never heard of him before so i looked at reviews and hes gotten some pretty bad reviews. Heres one from rapreviews
http://www.rapreviews.com/archive/2006_03_floealmighty.html

I don't know, I like his style alot, to each his own. True Links is a great piece I think, and the Streetwise LP is pretty solid.

Floe Almighty was nice, prolly not great, but I kinda expected that, since it was my first album that I heard from him. Everything I heard onwards was better and better. If you're a skeptic, check out True Links. If you don't like it, you won't like anything else from him.

Rame
01-08-2009, 02:00 PM
There are too many artists to mention who didn't dissapoint.

11th Chamber
01-08-2009, 02:04 PM
2001 was shitty.

hahaaaha what!?

One of the best produced albums I ever heard

MAYOR QUIMBY
01-08-2009, 03:25 PM
Busta Rhymes.

Edgar Erebus
01-08-2009, 04:50 PM
^^ Was, until "Big Bang".

Claustrofobic
01-08-2009, 05:20 PM
Nas' catalouge was flawless.

Until he released a second album.

lol, nice quote

Shitty Brainz
01-08-2009, 05:30 PM
definately CunninLynguists and Gang Starr

Claustrofobic
ontopic:

G Rap
Scarface
Masta Ace

sdeblasi
I agree with claaa7 on Show & AG...everything they do is dope...i finally got their new ep and it def didnt disappoint...

i'd like to add Big L to this list to...both his albums were sick
And Pete Rock and CL Smooth there first three releases were all fire
What about Black Moon? Enta Da Stage is classic, but Total Eclipse and War Zone are both bangers
Royce Da 5 9...Rock City and Death is Certain...im not counting his mixtapes
Slick Rick? Adventures, Rulers Back, and Art of Storytelling

Jeru
01-08-2009, 06:23 PM
Pimp-T

( seriously, his albums never dissapoint, they're as bad as I expected them to be )

TAURO
01-08-2009, 06:34 PM
For me I think Gangstarr and Masta Ace, and Tribe too, otherwise I think i've been disappointed in someway by virtually every other artist.

Jeru
01-08-2009, 06:42 PM
For me I think Gangstarr and Masta Ace, and Tribe too, otherwise I think i've been disappointed in someway by virtually every other artist.

Agreed except for Tribe...The Love Movement...I dunno...doesn't rock my boat

DEVAMPS
01-08-2009, 06:49 PM
mega

DR. NICK RIVIERA
01-08-2009, 06:58 PM
Masta Ace [including eMC IMO]
Cunninlynguists DEFINATELY
Sage Francis, but since nobody listens to him on a WuTang forum, I'm all alone on this haha

AND FINALLY MY CHANCE TO SAY
GRAVEDIGGAZ

Don't let the fact that Prince Paul was only on one album and RZA only two cloud your judgement about the later two albums, cuz IMO they are better than the classic first one.

And Grym Reaper aka Too Poetic is the most overlooked dead emcee. RIP

Hollow Dartz
01-08-2009, 07:01 PM
Ok, for niggaz who say Dr. Dre, why do people skip over "Aftermath Presents"? And I'm surprise no one mentioned Killarmy.

Ghost In The 'Lac
01-08-2009, 07:04 PM
^FUCK

Why do I keep forgetting my favorite group in all the lists lol.

IMO the 2nd gravediggaz wasnt all that, best track on it was the Kelis one.

DR. NICK RIVIERA
01-08-2009, 07:05 PM
^^I don't feel the third album was all that...lyrically it was a letdown, Originators and Feel It are only classic trax I can remember right now. [talking about Killarmy obviously]

Ghostlaced, give the second Gravediggaz album another chance...IT'S REPENTANCE DAY!!!

TAURO
01-08-2009, 07:06 PM
Ok, for niggaz who say Dr. Dre, why do people skip over "Aftermath Presents"?

It was so awful that people have subconsiously supressed it from their minds.

TAURO
01-08-2009, 07:08 PM
Gravediggaz disappointed me with their third album. It's good but it was a serious dip in quality.

DR. NICK RIVIERA
01-08-2009, 07:13 PM
I thought they were sick with the rhymes and beats weren't bad

4 outta 7 years I remember tourin
and this year I'm measurin' my urine

FUCKKK

or the one where he says he'll punch u like u just broke a mirror or something like that, dopeness.

TAURO
01-08-2009, 07:14 PM
Lyrics are always on point, I was reffering more towards the production.

DR. NICK RIVIERA
01-08-2009, 07:16 PM
well, ok, maybe 3 trax could have better production, but the album feeling is perfect tho, it's raw ... listen to Betta Wake Up

claaa7
01-08-2009, 08:34 PM
Ok, for niggaz who say Dr. Dre, why do people skip over "Aftermath Presents"? And I'm surprise no one mentioned Killarmy.

i got that but i don't count that as a Dr. Dre album, he raps on 2-3 songs and did 5-6 beats on it but if we gonna count that then Raekwon presents Ice Water is a Raekwon album.

oDoUoSoKo
01-08-2009, 08:44 PM
Ghostface

claaa7
01-08-2009, 08:47 PM
^^ Ghostface seriously had a great fucking career, i was thinking about including him but then "Big Doe Rehab" left me a bit dissapointed and even "Pretty Tony" at first (which i really appreciate now).

The Hound
01-08-2009, 08:52 PM

LOL

watz ya phone #
california love remix
can't c me
holla at me
rather be ya nigga
check out time
run tha streetz
ain't hard 2 find
heaven ain't hard 2 find

that shit is garbage

disc 2 ruins the greatness of disc 1 save for picture me rollin' and wonda why they call u bitch and shorty wanna be a thug and all eyez on me are alright at best

LOL @ uncle begongo music claiming all eyez on me as a classic

Tecknowledgist
01-08-2009, 09:09 PM
BIG L

the big picture was ill, stfu

TGambino
01-08-2009, 09:37 PM
personally busta has never disappointed me....It Aint Safe No More was his worst but I wasn't really disappointed I usually know what to expect from him so I guess it's hard to be disappointed by him

Ghost In The 'Lac
01-08-2009, 09:41 PM
^lol at this nigga DESPERATE to say 50 cent

11th Chamber
01-08-2009, 10:34 PM

cause its not an officialy Dre solo

cap
01-08-2009, 10:38 PM
LOL

watz ya phone #
california love remix
can't c me
holla at me
rather be ya nigga
check out time
run tha streetz
ain't hard 2 find
heaven ain't hard 2 find

that shit is garbage

disc 2 ruins the greatness of disc 1 save for picture me rollin' and wonda why they call u bitch and shorty wanna be a thug and all eyez on me are alright at best

cant believe someone on planet earth doesnt think 'cant c me' is a banga!!!!!!!
moving on...

The Hound
01-08-2009, 11:15 PM
because it's garrrrrrrbage

Civilison
01-08-2009, 11:30 PM
biggie
gangstarr
kool g
bootcamp
wu-tang (to a certain point i guess)
cormega

there's more

chiba
01-09-2009, 12:31 AM
boot camp clik
alkaholiks
masta ace
show and ag
de la soul
cypress hill
blackmoon
smiff n wessun
fugees
gravediggaz
beatnuts
gangstarr

hate to say it but....kanye friggen west

Durag
01-09-2009, 04:12 AM
LOL

watz ya phone #
california love remix
can't c me
holla at me
rather be ya nigga
check out time
run tha streetz
ain't hard 2 find
heaven ain't hard 2 find

that shit is garbage

100% percent agree

1st disk is classic, bar that garbage "whats ya phone #", and most of the second disk, bar a few "Shorty Wanna Be A Thug" (love that track), "Picture Me Rollin" and "All Eyez On Me", is utter trash.

Thats not my opinion either, thats FACT. Its a known fact that the second disk SUCKS. First disk is still banging though.

KLIION JENSEN
01-09-2009, 08:08 AM

did i call it a classic ?? no !! i said it was a dope album & i dont even like 2Pacs music that much.....you on that dust ??

claaa7
01-09-2009, 08:25 AM

yeah i count Rakim to have 6 albums, no matter what on the 4 albums with Eric B he was the only man on the microphone so it was really like solo albums. i think Eric B did scratches though and produced some joints but not counting them is like not counting "Grandmasters" to GZA's albums.

KLIION JENSEN
01-09-2009, 08:32 AM
yeah i count Rakim to have 6 albums, no matter what on the 4 albums with Eric B he was the only man on the microphone so it was really like solo albums. i think Eric B did scratches though and produced some joints but not counting them is like not counting "Grandmasters" to GZA's albums.

Eric B did fuck all except put money into em, Eric B was a gangster that wanted to be in a rap group, Marley marl did the beats & some other dj did the scratches..

and i'd count Grandmasters as a Gza album, if you dont count that then you cant count Ironman or Cuban Linx, cos on the cover of both albums it clearly states that its featuring someone else, even if that someone else is in the same crew..

2Bladez
01-09-2009, 09:38 AM

Just because eric b. did beats on the previous albums doesn't mean they aren't rakim's albums. And no matter if you rate Eric B. & Rakim as a group, rakim is a part of that group so i can clamly rate those albums as his and they are also eric b's.

claaa7
01-09-2009, 10:30 AM
Eric B did fuck all except put money into em, Eric B was a gangster that wanted to be in a rap group, Marley marl did the beats & some other dj did the scratches..

from what i understand Marley only did "My Melody" and "Eric B is President" but i also heard that Paul C and Large Professor produced the "Let The Rhythm Hit 'Em" album.

and i'd count Grandmasters as a Gza album, if you dont count that then you cant count Ironman or Cuban Linx, cos on the cover of both albums it clearly states that its featuring someone else, even if that someone else is in the same crew..

right, that's what i mean too.

KLIION JENSEN
01-09-2009, 10:35 AM
from what i understand Marley only did "My Melody" and "Eric B is President" but i also heard that Paul C and Large Professor produced the "Let The Rhythm Hit 'Em" album.

either way, it was'nt Eric B....

djskillz
01-09-2009, 11:01 AM
Sean Price (all his newer solo work since Monkey Barz has been crazy)
Jedi Mind Tricks
Pharoahe Monch (solo albums)
OutKast
Organized Konfusion
Redman (maybe not counting Red Gone Wild)
The Roots
UGK
CunninLynguists

There really aren't that many lol. Most groups or solo artists have at least one that didn't reach people's expectations.

The Hound
01-09-2009, 11:50 AM
redman fails because of malpractice

The Hound
01-09-2009, 11:51 AM
did i call it a classic ?? no !! i said it was a dope album & i dont even like 2Pacs music that much.....you on that dust ??

calling it dope is just as bad as calling it classic uncle begongo

Jeru
01-09-2009, 11:51 AM

agreed

GhettoGnom
01-09-2009, 01:24 PM
CunninLynguists
Masta Ace
Substantial
MF Grimm

djskillz
01-09-2009, 01:31 PM

Shit eh lol. I forgot about Malpractice. Guess I sorta blocked it out.

cutn' heads
01-09-2009, 01:46 PM
mos def for me

Suga Duga
01-09-2009, 04:12 PM
mos def

Panty Raider
01-10-2009, 02:10 AM
Imma say, Nas, Doom, Busta, and personally, im puttin Jay-Z there too. Of course Biggie, but he only got to do 2...

Twin
01-10-2009, 02:37 AM
i would say quite a few but off the top of my head i would say gravediggaz, gza, killarmy, the roots, a tribe called quest, gangstarr, big l, and freddie foxxx

Twin
01-10-2009, 04:24 AM
And Grym Reaper aka Too Poetic is the most overlooked dead emcee. RIP[/QUOTE]

Agreed definately

DR. NICK RIVIERA
01-10-2009, 05:02 AM
Imma say, Nas, Doom, Busta, and personally, im puttin Jay-Z there too. Of course Biggie, but he only got to do 2...

? hahahha poor thing

12weLvE
01-10-2009, 10:39 AM
Now these are what you call consistent emcees doing their thing... Too bad Biggie and Pun dint live long enought to see if they could keep it up.

Ghostface

Ironman - 5/5
Supreme Clientele - 5/5
BulletProof Wallets - 4.5/5
The Pretty Toney Album - 4.3/5
Fishscale - 5/5
More Fish - 4/5
Big Dough Rehab - 4/5

GZA

Words From the Genius - 4/5
Liquid Swords - 5/5
Beneath the Surface - 4.5/5
Legend of the Liquid Sword - 4.5/5
Grandmasters - 5/5
Protools - 4.3/5

Killarmy

Silent Weapons For... - 5/5
Dirty Weapory - 4.5/5
Fear Love and War - 4.8/5

B.I.G

Ready to Die 5/5
Life after Death - 5/5

Big Pun

Capital Punishment - 5/5
Yeeeah Baby - 4.5/5

Lupe Fiasco

Food and Liquor - 5/5
The Cool - 4.5/5

MF DOOM

Doomsday - 5/5
Take me to your Leader - 5/5
Vaudeville Villain - 5/5
Venomous Villain - 4/5
Madvillain - 4/5
MM Food - 4.5/5
The Mask and the Mouse - 4.5/5

Masta Ace

Slaughta House - 5/5
Sittin of Chrome - 4/5
Disposable Arts - 4.5/5
A Long Hot Summer - 5/5

Brother Ali

Shadows on the Sun - 5/5
Champion - 4/5
The Undisputed Truth - 4.5

Pharoach Monch

Internal Affairs - 5/5
Desire - 4/5

DR. NICK RIVIERA
01-10-2009, 01:03 PM
[QUOTE=InspectahChek;1447043]Now these are what you call consistent emcees doing their thing... Too bad Biggie and Pun dint live long enought to see if they could keep it up.

Ghostface

Ironman - 5/5
Supreme Clientele - 5/5
Fishscale - 5/5
More Fish - 4/5
Big Dough Rehab - 4/5

GZA

Liquid Swords - 5/5
Grandmasters - 5/5
Protools - 4.3/5

Killarmy

Dirty Weapory - 4.5/5

lol these rates are way too astronomical....IMO even Ironman isn't a straight 5/5

12weLvE
01-10-2009, 01:41 PM
[quote=InspectahChek;1447043]Now these are what you call consistent emcees doing their thing... Too bad Biggie and Pun dint live long enought to see if they could keep it up.

Ghostface

Ironman - 5/5
Supreme Clientele - 5/5
Fishscale - 5/5
More Fish - 4/5
Big Dough Rehab - 4/5

GZA

Liquid Swords - 5/5
Grandmasters - 5/5
Protools - 4.3/5

Killarmy

Dirty Weapory - 4.5/5

lol these rates are way too astronomical....IMO even Ironman isn't a straight 5/5

Its all good.. Theres people who think 36 chambers sucks. Its opinioned based...if you dont like it then whatve

Ghost In The 'Lac
01-10-2009, 02:14 PM
Lol at all the people in the thread pretending Kanye West or southern rap doesnt exist.

12weLvE
01-10-2009, 02:34 PM
Lol at all the people in the thread pretending Kanye West or southern rap doesnt exist.

Who the fuck cares... if the people on this thread dont listen to that shit why would they post it up? Not everybody listens to southern snap or "gansta music" I know I dont! And not everybody listens to undergroung stuff... i know I dont listen to some of it. I do like some commercial stuff, but not this new shit thats been going on lately *Points finger at most southern artist*

I am a big fan of Luda and T.I thats about it when it comes to the shit thats on the radio nowadays. Kanye I ve always like, but this new shit he is rocking is just WACK!!! Fuck that.

I thought about Outkast for this list, but I did not Feel Stankonia at all, neither did I feel Idlewild... Also Scarface... he had a couple of weak albums...

Its all opinion based dude chill the fuck out with your hyping up the south thing...its getting too played the fuck out man...

sdeblasi
01-10-2009, 02:45 PM

Ironman is fucking 6/5

BRONZBODY
01-10-2009, 02:57 PM
masta ac

dude can do no wrong in my eyes

some albums were better than others but all are dope

THE MASON
01-10-2009, 03:31 PM
Biggie Smalls - probly mentioned 9 not including posthumous releases)

Redman imo, always brings heat

hehsy5sy5
01-10-2009, 05:30 PM

kanye dropped 808 autotone shit. that was wack and considered a "dissapointing album". and for southerners, i only like scarface, ugk, and maybe luda, but they all have weak albums here and there.

Ghost In The 'Lac
01-10-2009, 05:39 PM
^Geto Boys?

Scarface?

Outkast?

TI?

3 6 mafia

These are all good artists, man. they make good solid music, whether you like it or not. The south have been innovating for time now.

hehsy5sy5
01-10-2009, 05:47 PM
^Geto Boys?

Scarface?

Outkast?

TI?

3 6 mafia

These are all good artists, man. they make good solid music, whether you like it or not. The south have been innovating for time now.

outkast slipped my mind, their albums are all pretty solid, especially their first 3. i only liked t.i.'s older stuff, and like i said scarface had solid albums but some of em are weak. i don't feel 3 6 mafia.

drippie k
01-10-2009, 06:02 PM
i like all of the the game's albums
mmm..ghostface comes to mind also
outkast (idlewild was tight man)

11th Chamber
01-10-2009, 06:20 PM

hahahaha what?

3.5 at best

808 ruined what Kanye had going

GhettoGnom
01-11-2009, 08:31 AM
outkast slipped my mind, their albums are all pretty solid, especially their first 3. i only liked t.i.'s older stuff, and like i said scarface had solid albums but some of em are weak. i don't feel 3 6 mafia.

...and anybody that doesn't mention CunninLynguists should take a listen to them :)

DR. NICK RIVIERA
01-11-2009, 08:59 AM
[quote=wera;1447174]

Its all good.. Theres people who think 36 chambers sucks. Its opinioned based...if you dont like it then whatve

I'm really an ass when it comes to 5/5 ratings :) I think there are less than 100 hiphop albums that deserve that rating, maybe even less than 50.

:)

I shall never consider Ironman 5/5, it's a fucking dope album, gets me hyped, but it's right between Liquid Swords and Forever at that time and those battle rap trax aren't as good as I expected.... also I think Cappa's verse is somewhat overrated on this site, since it's not even close Canibus' Beast from the East verse or Holocaust's first featurings, ... and so on. Only delivery wise, but lyrically and flow wise? Nah. Also Poisonous Darts hasn't got one punchline that I could say: now that's really dope.

Plus the album isn't as focused, the themes are all over the album - it's dope, I shall consider it a classic, I can listen to it all day, but I won't say it's a 5/5. That's reserved for 'perfect' albums.

YungSunny
01-11-2009, 08:13 PM
I would say lil wayne and plies...

Considering I never had good expectations of them HARHARHAR.....yeah.

Ritter
01-11-2009, 08:22 PM
...and anybody that doesn't mention CunninLynguists should take a listen to them :)

Word, your constant praising of CL got me to listen to some of their stuff, and only thing I can say is... thank you.

Ghostlaced, 2 of my acts posted are South, it's never about the area, it's about the music.

Shitty Brainz
10-27-2010, 06:18 PM
bump

Panacea anyone?

Mumm Ra
10-27-2010, 06:21 PM
i can only think of MF DOOM, Killarmy and the Gravediggaz off hand

Djaminha
10-27-2010, 06:46 PM
Jim Jones
Black Milk

Inspektah Meth-Tical
10-28-2010, 04:02 AM
Kool G Rap
Outkast
Eric B & Rakim
BlackStar :D:)

claaa7
10-28-2010, 04:06 AM
definitely Boogie Down Productions

MaskedAvenger
10-28-2010, 04:35 AM
lol. Some people are naming artists who have never dropped a good album.

Frank Sobotka
10-28-2010, 05:43 AM
Allot of these artists that barely release albums should be excluded.

Suga Duga
10-28-2010, 06:02 AM
mos def

+ outkast
+ Cam'ron

fatboybrandon
10-28-2010, 09:56 AM
http://cdn.nahright.com/news/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/ae-lp-cover-art.jpg

These 2 guys never disappointed me and they've been putting out music since the late 80's, both of their 1st albums were classic.

http://content.onsmash.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/mop-on-stage.jpg

They kept it real throughout the years by being themselves and standing as a voice of the streets, it reminds me of the path of Kool G Rap how they built such a strong following without going gold or platinum. I look forward to their upcoming solo projects

http://www.soul-identity.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/dj-spinna-back.jpg

Some people still aren't aware of the extent of DJ Spinna's catalog, he's built an interesting niche in the independent Hip Hop scene since the late 90's as a producer, working with Kweli, Mos Def, Eminem, Big L, Guru and others. Check out his Beyond Real albums, instrumental albums, BBE comp and Jigmastas album.

Gangstarr never disappointed me, neither did Lord Finesse, Cella Dwellas, Ghostface or Large Professor

DR. NICK RIVIERA
10-28-2010, 05:38 PM
Imma say again, Pharaohe Monch [including O.K.], Lupe Fiasco, Outkast, Cunninlynguists and EL-P [including everything he ever made]. Not only are they consistant, they are also great rappers.

copywrite
10-28-2010, 05:58 PM
The Roots and Gangstarr.

King Tron 1
10-29-2010, 01:04 AM
Gangstarr never disappointed me, neither did Lord Finesse, Cella Dwellas, Ghostface or Large Professor

you motherfucker, I was gonna say Lord Finesse. I like Godfather Don, and perhaps MC Eiht and maybe DJ Quik.

It's pretty hard to think of any artist that has a both a decent & prominent catalog, they either release enough material that some (KRS-One/O.C.) aren't as good, or you don't release enough (Lord Digga/O.G.C.) and are considered not as proficient.

would agree with claaa7 about the Show & A.G. albums/ep's.

muscularghandi
10-29-2010, 01:27 AM
Gangstarr, Edo G, GZA, Doom, and Scarface.

Shitty Brainz
10-29-2010, 09:09 AM
(delete)

King Tron 1
10-29-2010, 05:35 PM
I would have to add Sadat X. Wild Cowboys, Experience & Education, The State of New York vs. Derek Murphy, Black October, Wild Cowboys II.

I have yet to get around to grab Generation X & Brand New Bein', but I would expect nothing less on those two.

drippie k
10-29-2010, 06:24 PM
Zion I
Scarface
Sean Price
Devin the Dude

SKAMPOE
10-29-2010, 10:47 PM
Pcp

Inspektah Meth-Tical
10-30-2010, 10:51 PM
Can't believe none of you has said AZ. But i guesss, he dropped that dissapointing 9 Lives album.

Longbongcilvaringz
10-31-2010, 02:09 AM
Now these are what you call consistent emcees doing their thing... Too bad Biggie and Pun dint live long enought to see if they could keep it up.

Ghostface

Ironman - 5/5
Supreme Clientele - 5/5
Fishscale - 5/5
More Fish - 4/5
Big Dough Rehab - 4/5

haha, i mean, i'm glad people love Ghost that much, but i've never got how people could like Fishscale that much.

Or Big Doe Rehab or Pretty Toney or Bulletproof Wallets or More Fish.

All are 3.5 at most for me.

I agree that Ironman is 5/5, if you take off 'All That I Got Is You'.

Best, most varied RZA production on a entire album.

claaa7
10-31-2010, 02:26 AM
^ wait, what? take OFF "All I Got Is You??
that's like one of the centerpieces of the entire album and one of Ghost's most important records ever.. well to each his own

Longbongcilvaringz
10-31-2010, 02:37 AM
Just quietly, Ghostlaced has some of the dumbest statements ever in this thread haha.

He criticises someone for posting Edgar Allen Floe and Cunninlynguists, because he has never heard of them.

Then he complains that no one is posting anything from the south, when he didn't even know who Cunninlynguists were...

He goes on to list The Beastie Boys, 2pac and Run DMC as never having disappointing albums....

Longbongcilvaringz
10-31-2010, 02:42 AM
^ wait, what? take OFF "All I Got Is You??
that's like one of the centerpieces of the entire album and one of Ghost's most important records ever.. well to each his own

Yes, take it off, Ironman is 5/5 easily.

Leave it on, and it's still an awkward interlude in an otherwise amazingly consistent album, which brings it down to 4.75/5.

How are you going to stick 'All I Got Is You' between 'After the Smoke has Cleared' and 'Marvel'... and not make it out of place.

My thoughts on the track aside, it's out of place on Ironman.

For me, track for track, Ironman shits on any Wu solo if you take off 'All i Got Is You' if i was being pedantic, 'Wildflower' also.

Dr Sleepwalker
10-31-2010, 05:14 AM
deuce

Dr Sleepwalker
10-31-2010, 05:18 AM
Atmosphere and Clipse

claaa7
10-31-2010, 06:12 AM
Yes, take it off, Ironman is 5/5 easily.

Leave it on, and it's still an awkward interlude in an otherwise amazingly consistent album, which brings it down to 4.75/5.

How are you going to stick 'All I Got Is You' between 'After the Smoke has Cleared' and 'Marvel'... and not make it out of place.

My thoughts on the track aside, it's out of place on Ironman.

For me, track for track, Ironman shits on any Wu solo if you take off 'All i Got Is You' if i was being pedantic, 'Wildflower' also.

haha it's just funny how much taste can differ, "Wildflower" and "All I Got Is You" is probably the best of the best in their respective 'sub-genre' of hip-hop imo. i don't fucks with "Marvel" that much tho and it took me years before i got "The Soul Controller" as the masterpiece it is - i agree with you that "Ironman" is probably RZA's harmonically best produced album ever.

lol btw, 4.75/5 still rounds up to 5/5 :P

Shogah
10-31-2010, 06:52 AM
The Roots definitely.

Cypress Hill - has always been consistent(yeah stoned raiders and till death do us apart were pretty good/except What's Your Number)

Eric & Rakim as a duo.

Kool G Rap & Dj Polo as a duo.

NWA.

claaa7
10-31-2010, 08:50 AM
^ i agree with you except about Cypress Hill - sure "Stoned Raiders" had it's moments but don't tell me you wasn't dissapointed when you heard it? i sure as hell was and i still can't get into it. "Skull & Bones" was good but it didn't really sound like Cypress to me, the rock disc might have been superior to be fair.

that's the problem tho, there's plenty of artists that has great catalouges but then has one dud. Common is a perfect example, i really like ALL of his albums except "Universal Mind Control" which was totally wack. KRS-One got the best discography in hip-hop (including BDP albums) but he got a gang of weak albums as well (he got more goodies than wack ones tho, most definitely). Dilla only dropped quality releases when he was alive tho imo:

* "Fantastic Vol. 1"
* "Fantastic Vol. 2"
* "Welcome 2 Detroit"
* "Ruff Draft EP"
* "Champion Sound"
* "Donuts"

even "The Shining", "Jay Love Japan" and "Jay $tay Paid" were good to great imo. can't say the same for Madlib tho, for every incredible release he drops he releases an average LOL.

MOP's discography from "To Death Do Us Part" to "Warriorz" are 4 of the best hardcore hip-hop albums ever released but then they went MIA. "Ghetto Warfare" was good but dissapointing compared to their previous work... "Foundation" was better tho so if you don't count "G.W." i'd count them too.

JakobR
10-31-2010, 10:12 AM
Masta Ace
Talib Kweli
Rakim

StrainJah
10-31-2010, 10:21 AM
I would have to say the only artist that has provided dope album after dope album would be KRS-One. . .the dude made 5 classics with Boogie Down Productions, then 3 classic solos. 8 straight classic hip-hop albums? How many artists have achieved that?

Oh and Cunninylnguists too, I aint been dissapointed yet, these brothers are legends.

StrainJah
10-31-2010, 10:25 AM
The Roots definitely.

Cypress Hill - has always been consistent(yeah stoned raiders and till death do us apart were pretty good/except What's Your Number)

Eric & Rakim as a duo.

Kool G Rap & Dj Polo as a duo.

NWA.

I agree with ya totally on that one. Oh and I'd mention Sole, I've loved every album this dude has dropped (don't hate). Man, it would've been cool to add Del but damn he's been dissapointing nowadays

Djaminha
10-31-2010, 10:41 AM
I would have to say the only artist that has provided dope album after dope album would be KRS-One. . .the dude made 5 classics with Boogie Down Productions, then 3 classic solos. 8 straight classic hip-hop albums? How many artists have achieved that?

Oh and Cunninylnguists too, I aint been dissapointed yet, these brothers are legends.
I think Will Rap For Food is wack.

King Tron 1
10-31-2010, 02:34 PM
come to think of it, One Be Lo has yet to dissappoint me

Cesar
10-31-2010, 03:36 PM
I didnt look thru all the pages, so I don't know if someone mentioned Cormega already, he is very consistent at putting out great music.

The Realness 10/10
The True Meaning 9/10
The Testament 9/10
Born & Raised 10/10

fatboybrandon
10-31-2010, 09:03 PM
T5o-P-ESTOw

Alchemist (http://cratesofjr.blogspot.com/search/label/Alchemist)'s album discography hasn't disappointed yet, from the instrumental albums, EP's and full length albums everything has been banging as far as I know

KLAP
11-01-2010, 01:31 AM
Jedi Mind Tricks, The Roots, NaS