PDA

View Full Version : what do you know about religion and food?

DR. NICK RIVIERA
01-11-2009, 09:09 AM
I'm doing something for school [I don't even know why I chose this theme] and the only shit I found what about christians eat, some Islam rules and about Egyptian muslims.

It's funny, the Egyptian muslims eat mostly meat when the Bajram or whatever is that called comes.

Art Vandelay
01-11-2009, 11:07 AM
catholics, no meat on ash wednesday or on fridays during lent. some ole timers won't eat meat on any friday during the year.

italian catholics... the feast of the 7 fishes. growing up on christmas eve, we weren't allowed to eat meat on christmas eve. my grandma prepared 7 different seafoods. squid, baccala, crab legs, etc.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3162/2878245620_750a952fe7.jpg?v=0

it is believed that the feast of the 7 fishes comes from the fact that there are 7 sacraments in the catholic religion

DR. NICK RIVIERA
01-13-2009, 03:33 PM
thanks!

check two
01-13-2009, 03:40 PM
It's wacky, imo.

Wouldn't the term meat technically mean anything that comes from animal flesh? So wouldn't fish be considered meat also?

WARPATH
01-13-2009, 04:09 PM
I'm doing something for school [I don't even know why I chose this theme] and the only shit I found what about christians eat, some Islam rules and about Egyptian muslims.

It's funny, the Egyptian muslims eat mostly meat when the Bajram or whatever is that called comes.

Jewish people have some strange customs regarding food.

Civilison
01-13-2009, 04:13 PM
lots of cultures have/had dietary restrictions. as a matter of fact the practice of dietary restrictions started dying off with the rise of the western culture everyone kinda started eating everything.

if you study the customs of people around the planet you notice a lot didn't eat something specifically or ate something for a specific reason. just off the top i can say that

*although a lot of people ate meat vegeterianism was popular among older civilizations african, chinese and indus kush
*a lot of buddhist are vegeterians
*alot of hindu people are vegeterians, the cow is sacred prohibited to eat
*a lot of carribean people stay meat free the rastas have the ital system
*seventh day adventists usually don't eat flesh
*a lot of jews stay away from pork
*muslism don't eat any swine as well
*the pig was abominable meat in ancient times all the way back to egypt
*in north america and all over the world there is ppl with all types of dietary restrictions seek individual cultures for all that.

PZ