PDA

View Full Version : Shizzah's Game Awards (PC Only, sorry heads)

Ritter
01-12-2009, 09:03 PM
~2008~

So, 2008, it was nice, but not as nice as people hyped it to be. You got certain releases that are pretty average, but critics pass them on to the gamer audience as great, 10.0 and shit. I mean, there were a lot of hyped releases that are actually feces. A few releases got me hooked, and even less got me in the "OH SNAP" shizzah mode. I didn't like it. But I didn't expect much, so I guess I got what I deserved. Here are the categories:

RPG of the year:

Nominees-

The Witcher: Enhanced Edition
Fallout 3
Mass Effect

That's about it.

The winner is:

Fallout 3.

Imagine the Oblivion world, all those mages and shit, the beautiful graphics and all that... And then an atomic bomb fell over the whole continent. So, now the continent is called Capital Wasteland, that is actually set in Washington D.C., and apparently it was raining guns, scrap metal, and tesla coils. I loved it. Oblivion is now better, you don't fight wolves and bandits, you fight radscorpions and bandits. The humour, the atmosphere, the shooting, the level progression, the clichee story with a lot of endings, the good vs bad, all that good shit is packed into this game. Long story short, if you don't like this game, you should stick to Pong.

Adventure game of the year:

Nominees-

Rhiannon: Curse Of the Four Branches
A Vampyre Story
OutCry
Overclocked: A History Of Violence

The winner is...

OutCry

To properly review this game, I'd have to explain details of the storyline, which I won't do. Everything you need to know is that critics bashed it and bashed it (GS gave it 4.0). It has a story that TWISTS your very view of the world. Yes, literally, this game made me change my opinion on my life. Yes, it did. The atmosphere and graphics are beautiful, while not being heavy. The clues are sometimes packed below 3 stacks of books, but those books are interesting. Reminds of Myst in a lot of ways. You either fanatically love it, or hate it. I'm the first one by the way.

Shooter of the year:

Nominees-
Call Of Duty: World at War
Left 4 Dead
Stalker: Clear Sky
Crysis Warhead

The winner is:

Tum, tum, tum

Left 4 Dead

So, you don't get a story (you do, but there were too many zombies in the intro cinematic so I would give a shit about it). This game has balls. A lot of balls. Everything you do is shoot, and any gamer like myself that pays attention to the mechanics would be horrified with the ammount of repetetiveness contained in this release... But that didn't happen. I can't remember the last time I had that much fun. That game doesn't let you breathe, it's just shoot shoot shoot shoot shoot shoot shoot shoot shoot. Playing with friends is enormous fun, having a chat at the same time, shit is bangin. So, anyone who thinks this isn't a good choice, could be right, but this has everything a shooter needs. You could replace zombies with whales, you'd still get the same effect.

Strategy of the year:

Nominees-

Sid Meier's Colonization
Sins of a Solar Empire
King's Bounty
Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3

The winner is:

Fuck you, it's Colonization

A year and a half ago, I was visiting www.abandonia.com (http://www.abandonia.com) just because I got a little sentimental, and wanted to check for some games I spent my pre-school years with. So I downloaded a lot of stuff. Elder Scrolls Arena, Heroes of Might And Magic 1 & 2, Lotus Racing, a lot of shit... but I also downloaded Colonization. I had a little sentimental moment, and was playing that shit for days. And I thought "Wouldn't it be great if Sid Meier made a remake of this game, like he did with Railroads! and Pirates!". A couple months later, Sid Meier confirms Colonization. A lonely tear was walking down my cheek. This game is essentially everything the original version was, only with better graphics and some mechanical improvements. This is the best strategy game of the year, without any doubt in my mind. ANY doubt. I don't even know why I put the other nominees...

Sports game of the year:

Nominees-

PES 2009
NHL 2009
NBA 2K9
FIFA 2009

The winner is Fifa 09. Fuck the drama. It simply has the best game mechanics, very good new improvements (with the be a pro mode). No bugs, good commentary, fun multiplayer, nice physics, that's it. NBA 2K9 is fantastic, but unoptimized for the Pee See. I just wanna send a big FUCK YOU to EA Sports for not releasing Madden 09 for the PC.

That's it for the genre awards, now we got the special awards. You'll see some shocking results here, and I don't give a fuck. I never had the gaming taste of the masses. I always had my shit going on, so I'd like you to hold your negative comments about these awards to yourself. But feel free to give your opinion on who was the best. Just don't hate on my taste... It's gaming, we're the same people.

THE BELL AWARD (*dung*)
Most disappointing release

Grand Theft Auto IV

See what I meant when I sead you'll dislike this... This was so overhyped that I thought this was going to be among the best games I've ever played. And no, it's not my fault I got my expectations too high. What should I expect when GameSpot gives it a 10, and it has MetaCritic score of NINETY-FUCKING-EIGHT (98). That has to be a brilliant game right? So your brother helps you and gives you a home in Liberty City, but he's in a lot of debts and you gotta help him. You're a Serb voiced by someone who shouldn't voice a Serb. The accent is all fucked up... So you help your brother, and he gets in new shit, new shit, new shit, new shit. You're after these two guys from the war... one turns out to be a fag, and the other one... I didn't get to the other one, the missions bored me like fuck. Every two missions you're interrupted by someone wanting to hang out with you. And if that hangout looked like some fun it would be good, but it isn't fun. You get out for a drink, and have to walk all the way home stumbling every two steps. Alternatively, you can hail a cab to go anywhere you wish, but that's not fun. The only thing good is the cinematic camera and Little Jacob.

THE MIXTAPE AWARD
Best sequel

Fallout 3

The best sequel should be the game that improved the most from its predecessor. Fallout took a big risk, and turned the isometric turn-based RPG into a FPS-RPG. I wouldn't take a risk, but then again, I wouldn't get the RPG of the year award. The atmosphere is something that makes 60-70% of a game. Not literally, but if the atmosphere is bad and not fitting, I can't play the game. My fav game ever is my fav game ever only on the strength of it's atmosphere and surroundings.

THE WHAT YOU IN FO' AWARD
A game we all looked forward to, but got pushed back

Actually, none. Everything (big) planned for this year, got released this year. Congrats 08, for not being totally lazy.

THE SIXTH PLAYER AWARD
The honorable mention

Spore

This game is great, but not quite there to compete with the few best games of the year. It's very original, fun, cute, and replayable. Ok, you can replay it once, but it's still something. It really sparks your imagination and the creature creator really grips you to itself when you get to create your own being. Also, when you get bored, you can always pop into the creature creator and create a creature that looks like an oversized cock. Then giggle like a little girl and press alt+f4. This game isn't totally original, it consists of 5 stages, which are copies of the already existing game types. The civilization stage also bears it's name. It's a great game nonetheless, and it shouldn't go unnoticed.

THE KODAK AWARD
prettiest graphics

Crysis: Warhead. Mandatory end of story.

THE SHINY EYES AWARD
Game I'm looking forward to the most in '09

Starcraft II
because Diablo III ain't coming in '09

From the trailers, it looked like the original game, and that's really good news. You got new campaigns, new units, new buildings, better graphics, better mechanics.. same game. That's what makes sequels good. The formula being intact. That's why Fallout 3 did it. They put on 50's music, rugged armor, rugged terrain, rugged guns with very low durability, super-mutants and voila. You got a FPS Fallout 2. Starcraft II is going to be the game of the year (duh... that's Blizzard). I don't have any expectations, I know it's going to be good, the only question is, how good...

Aaah... The Shizzah Award
Game of the Year

This is a very hard choice, since there were no more than 3 games which could earn this title. Those rleases are- Fallout 3, The Witcher: Enhanced Edition and OutCry. So. I'm gonna go with the one that got me most hooked, that's held me the longest, and the one that is legendary status.

OutCry.

As I said, it changed the way I look on life, that's something only one game did in my life except this one. And that game is Civilization. So basically, what I've got here, is a game which, if it was a book, it'd be a masterpiece. If it was a film, it would be a classic, if it was a music album, I'd bump it every day. It's work of art, wrapped into a point and click adventure that is possibly the best way to pack the story which is OutCry. Trivia: The other name for this game is Sublustrum, which means "faintly glimmering".

Peace.

SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS
01-12-2009, 09:43 PM
funny thread

Paranoid
01-12-2009, 09:46 PM
Mass Effect > Fallout 3

Paranoid
01-12-2009, 09:51 PM
I fail to see how Fallout 3 was so improved from its predecessor, because it was NOTHING like its predecessor. It was just Oblivion with a Fallout name slapped on it and it was also pathetically short. A good game...but it can't touch Mass Effect, a certified classic trumping over Fallout in every aspect. Better story, better characters, better combat, better replay value.

And GTAIV is awesome, the online modes are outstanding

Bloo
01-13-2009, 12:15 AM
Eh, I still prefer Fallout 3 to Mass Effect...

Good thread though. I'm just glad to see that you didn't pick Sins of a Solar Empire as best strategy game though... I mean it's cool and all, but damn.

shaolinsword
01-13-2009, 12:34 AM
Fallout 3 isn't short I'm at 30hrs and still have half of the game to finish

Mass Effect was a good game but I preferred Fallout

Ritter
01-13-2009, 07:05 AM
1. Mass Effect is great, and has a slight better story than Fallout 3. But Mass Effect is waay too short, even with sidequests. Fallout 3 has great in-depth value and it's pretty long and expansive. I beat the game in about 40 hrs and didn't even explore more than 50% of the entire map. And didn't do all the side quests.

2. GTA IV was too flawed in gameplay not to get the dung award. I really expected a lot. Since the PC version came out half a year after the Xbox one, I had the Xbox scores to rely on. MetaCritic average score is 98. And that gives you some expectations. Normally, I don't pay attention to scores, but 98 means that's really something. And a lot of sites gave it a perfect score. That means that it's a pretty good game, right? Well... apparently I didn't like it that much. I'd give it a score of 79 or something. That doesn't mean it's bad, not at all. It just means it's disappointing.

3. As I said, everyone is always bashing my taste. In everything. In films, in movies, in literature, in music and in gaming. I think I'm the only person alive who thought that Counter Strike was pretty average, and that I'm the only person who perfers the first Diablo over the second one. So don't let my taste spoil your gaming experience.

I did try to be objective as much as I could, except in that best Strategy game. Altho, Colonization did really deserve it.

Paranoid
01-13-2009, 03:53 PM
Stating my opinion doesn't mean I'm "bashing your taste"

Ritter
01-13-2009, 04:39 PM
Stating my opinion doesn't mean I'm "bashing your taste"

Was I talking to you?

Paranoid
01-13-2009, 05:28 PM
Was I talking to you?

You certainly implied that you were since you clearly responded to my previous post talking about mass effect and gtaIV

So yea, you were talking to me u fuckin faggot

Ritter
01-13-2009, 05:38 PM
You certainly implied that you were since you clearly responded to my previous post talking about mass effect and gtaIV

So yea, you were talking to me u fuckin faggot

Get out of my thread. Thank you.

Paranoid
01-13-2009, 05:45 PM
Get out of my thread. Thank you.

Suck a dick. Thank you

Ghost In The 'Lac
01-13-2009, 05:47 PM
I thought fallout 3 was totally wack and boring and annoyingly slow. I took it back to the store quick.

GTA4 was an amazing acomplishment in gaming, its visually the greatest game ever.

Ritter
01-13-2009, 06:00 PM
Suck a dick. Thank you

Why do you have to insult me in every thread when I ask you very politely to stop spamming my thread with something that isn't very useful to any of us.

I thought fallout 3 was totally wack and boring and annoyingly slow. I took it back to the store quick.

GTA4 was an amazing acomplishment in gaming, its visually the greatest game ever.

I can see how someone dislikes Fallout 3, it takes a lot of patience to walk through all those desolate lands... But I gots patience, I thought it was pretty nice.

Also, GTA IV didn't really add anything new to the table, it just prettied up the same formula. And Crysis: Warhead is much better visually than GTA IV. I don't know whether you've tried it with 'Optimistic' settings in DX10 and AAx8, but that's the best graphics gaming has seen yet. There was actually a comparation between Crysis and real life, and Crysis is prettier lol.

But peace.

Paranoid
01-13-2009, 06:03 PM
[QUOTE=Shizzah;1450982]Why do you have to insult me in every thread when I ask you very politely to stop spamming my thread with something that isn't very useful to any of us.

You fail to realize that you insulted me first

I was contributing to the thread and then you had to be a little smart ass

So you can suck a dick

fuck your thread

Ritter
01-13-2009, 06:08 PM
[quote=Shizzah;1450982]Why do you have to insult me in every thread when I ask you very politely to stop spamming my thread with something that isn't very useful to any of us.

You fail to realize that you insulted me first

I was contributing to the thread and then you had to be a little smart ass

So you can suck a dick

fuck your thread

Insulted you?

I was merely referring to my reference that I wasn't referring to you with my statement. My post was just explaining my choices...

Paranoid
01-13-2009, 06:11 PM
[quote=Slick;1450988]

Insulted you?

I was merely referring to my reference that I wasn't referring to you with my statement. My post was just explaining my choices...

Your post was in regards to what I said, clearly

stfu

Ritter
01-13-2009, 06:16 PM
[quote=Shizzah;1450993]

Your post was in regards to what I said, clearly

stfu

You keep insulting me. This is Digital Underground... be an ass in another section. Here I don't want to argue with anyone, but your insulting just begs for responses. Please, let's stop arguing. You're right, you're the smartest guy ever, you have better taste et cetera... Happy?

Paranoid
01-13-2009, 06:17 PM
"was I talking to you?" thats some little 15 year old faggot smart ass shit

it was a negative thing to say and you were the first one to spark the negativity, i simply reacted to it

there aint nothin else to say about it either

Ritter
01-13-2009, 06:18 PM
"was I talking to you?" thats some little 15 year old faggot smart ass shit

it was a negative thing to say and you were the first one to spark the negativity, i simply reacted to it

there aint nothin else to say about it either

Ah, yes, there comes the 15-year-old argument.

That is worn out. Completely.

Paranoid
01-13-2009, 06:20 PM
Ah, yes, there comes the 15-year-old argument.

That is worn out. Completely.

Oh, try paying attention to all the other valid points I just made instead of trying to change the subject

Paranoid
01-13-2009, 06:23 PM
you ruined your own thread and you were the first to be an asshole, you just fail to realize it

DUMBO
01-13-2009, 06:36 PM
interstate '76 is ill.

DR. NICK RIVIERA
01-13-2009, 06:51 PM
Shizzah, u fail to see what had to be done to release a game like GTA IV, you should compare it to other 'good' games like Saint's Row 2 and the wack imitators, then u'll see the genius of it all. Plus the multiplayer modes add a looot to the game itself and it's final score ;). I'd give it a 90 [for comparison, I gave Vice City a 90, GTA 3 a 88 and San Andreas a total score of 83....yeah, I'm a bad motherfucker.]

Ritter
01-13-2009, 07:07 PM
Shizzah, u fail to see what had to be done to release a game like GTA IV, you should compare it to other 'good' games like Saint's Row 2 and the wack imitators, then u'll see the genius of it all. Plus the multiplayer modes add a looot to the game itself and it's final score ;). I'd give it a 90 [for comparison, I gave Vice City a 90, GTA 3 a 88 and San Andreas a total score of 83....yeah, I'm a bad motherfucker.]

Yes, I completely understand. But GTA IV didn't bring anything new to the table except multiplayer and chores. Now, San Andreas was a step forward, and a step in the right direction, it added planes, bicycles, lowriders, gyms, driving school, flying school... GTA IV just took all of that out, and slapped pretty graphics and more smoothed-out animations for crashing.

I'm just saying it's the game that I looked forward to a lot, I mean... I set the whole gaming calendar according to GTA IV's release. And they slap me with that game.

I understand I'm a bit too harsh, but I'm not. I really don't like that game too much. I understand y'all don't agree, and that's reasonable.

Professor Poopsnagle
01-13-2009, 07:18 PM
In retrospect, most games I played in 2008 weren't that good. I enjoyed GTA IV, I loved Fallout 3, but I think I had more fun playing Grim Fandango and Dreamfall last year.

Best game right now is Fifa 09 though. Online it's fucking mad.

Not saying GTA and Fallout suck, but they got pretty boring quick.

Ghost In The 'Lac
01-13-2009, 07:40 PM

Saints Row 2 doesn't suck. Its fun. Alot more fun than GTA4.

I liked GTA4 alot, but it got boring quick. The other GTA's were never boring. San Andreas is still the best so far.

They should do the next one in Hong Kong. Its perfect. Theres a big wilderness section in the north inc beaches etc), an airport, great interesting city, other types of public transport, best skyscrapers, varied terrain that goes high and low, lots of interesting people, plus english is an accepted language. But at the same time its quite compact. Its about time they went to Asia.

Ritter
01-13-2009, 07:47 PM
They should do the next one in Hong Kong. Its perfect. Theres a big wilderness section in the north inc beaches etc), an airport, great interesting city, other types of public transport, best skyscrapers, varied terrain that goes high and low, lots of interesting people, plus english is an accepted language. But at the same time its quite compact. Its about time they went to Asia.

I was exactly thinking that or Dubai.

DR. NICK RIVIERA
01-14-2009, 04:07 AM
nah, GTA San Andreas will never be the best GTA, it's either IV or Vice City.

the whole site was too big, some missions really sucked, I wasn't having fun with girlfriends, and I did found everything [but the shells, those are fucking hard to find]

the story is koo in the first two cities, but in the third it's just a bad excuse for stupid missions [the one you have a guy strapped in the front of your car is a crazy mission tho]

plus a lot, a lot of bugs.. I fucking hated when I entered a building and the camera went beserk...

like I said, SA was a 83 for me. Sometimes bigger does not mean better, if it isn't focused.

Ritter
01-14-2009, 05:13 AM
I loved San Andreas, but Vice City was my favorite.

GTA IV looks brilliant... looks, but I didn't find it fun after the first 2 days. I just can't get into it. wera, you tried OutCry?

DR. NICK RIVIERA
01-14-2009, 06:25 PM
nah, I never took my time, I'm currently mostly in school, working and sharping my liquid sword.

Bloo
01-16-2009, 06:43 AM
In retrospect, most games I played in 2008 weren't that good. I enjoyed GTA IV, I loved Fallout 3, but I think I had more fun playing Grim Fandango and Dreamfall last year.

Now that is some true hardcore gamin shyt right there man! I fux wit both these games :hooray:

Although I think Fallout 3 was a blast. I'm on my second go round right now.