PDA

View Full Version : Artists have their whole lives to write their first album...

Monkdude
01-12-2009, 10:11 PM
but only a few years to write their second. what do you think of that? i think it especially rings true with wu-tang, namely rae

Dominus Santorini
01-13-2009, 01:24 AM
You have a few things going on here:

1) Most rappers don't think passed their first album

2) Raekwon's problem was that he wanted to record Cuban Linx over and over again. All his albums are Cuban Linx...a drug dealer becoming a kingpin.

3) Doesn't actually seem true for Wu Tang.

-------
Let's deal with # 1 - Most rappers record their bomb ass debut and then think they will followup this record with new shit and it ends up being their new found celebrity. Therefore you get records about money, cash, and partners (women or men). There are many artists this doesn't apply to of course (Jay-z [Reasonable doubt was about the same thing Vol. 1 was about], Eminem, Gza, Rza, Ghostface, Outkast, 8Ball and MJG, UGK, etc)

# 2 - Raekwon's second album was Cuban Linx all over again, minus RZA. a Drug Dealer reaching the top. So was Lex Diamonds. He doesn't quite fit the mold of the above. He tells the same story everytime.

# 3 All of the sopohmore projects of Wu-Tang don't quite fit this model. Liquid Swords is as grimey as any first album and it's his second. The sophomore jinx really applies to commercial rappers like Mase, Jeezy, Dem Franchize boys, etc.

I have more to say, but I don't have the energy for to write it on this forum. Not really worth it.

TSA
01-13-2009, 01:27 AM
this plays a huge role, i think artists have to find a new wind on their second and save of ideas from their first or else they're fucked.

tajeco
01-13-2009, 03:17 AM
And a new artist is so excited to get a deal that he'll sign a contract that says he has to put out a new cd every year for 3 years or whatever. So the cd becomes a bunch of fluff and filler, nothing substantial.

Rae and other artists who had a huge first one, says "my next one will be even better", but then it's not, and they say "that was just a sample of what's to come". This can go on and on for years. I don't like Guns and Roses but I heard a lot of bad reviews, and all the time Axle Rose has been saying "this is gonna be incredible, it's worth the wait". RZA's supposed to have been coming with 'The Cure' for 10 years now, but he says things like "society isn't ready yet".

5hundred&one
01-13-2009, 03:22 AM
You have a few things going on here:

# 2 - Raekwon's second album was Cuban Linx all over again, minus RZA. a Drug Dealer reaching the top. So was Lex Diamonds. He doesn't quite fit the mold of the above. He tells the same story everytime.

I disagree with this. Lex Diamonds Story may have been a shameful attempt at the Cuban Linx formula. Immobilarity was in the same realm, but was hardly the Cuban Linx concept re-hashed. It might be a good example of a second album slump, but it's a unique Raekwon album, lyrically. Also, if you replace three or four of the wackest beats on that album with rza or true master beats from the same time frame; instant classic. Maybe on Supreme Clientele level. That's my point of view anyway.
I agree with the thread starter though. Most artists (not only rappers) who get big off of their debut have trouble following up. Too many possible reasons to list. The biggest one being a lack of time.

Shogah
01-13-2009, 09:21 AM
they should probably put less albums but more quality.

For example i have a feeling that when nas dropped it was writtem, he had some ideas and some vision but it wasn't filled to the top. So he ran quickly to push his album as soon as possible and he got a good album but not completed to be a classic.

Rappers should wait untill their ideas reach their full potential, and not to cut it in the middle and make an album of 6 classic songs and 6 fillers.

claaa7
01-13-2009, 09:59 AM
someone quoted a Biggie interview on the subject that i really liked, it was something like: "With your first album, it's you looking in on the industry, with your second album it is you looking out from the industry".

now, say that the debut album that we think is extremely dope that's full of traditional boom-bap beats and clever lines like "Illmatic". that album didn't sell very well, so Steve Stoute and Columbia records wanted bigger record sales for their talented artist so for the next album they had to have some singles and songs that would appeal to a wider base of consumers. the sound is more polished, we need more hit-producers (Trackmasters, Dr. Dre) and get a popular R&B singer to help out with the single (R.Kelly, Lauryn Hill). wola, the album sells 2 million copies.

but you got a point there with a debut album being written over a very long time and influenced by loads of things in the artists prior life.