PDA

View Full Version : Redneck huntin and fishin is causing forced rapid evolution of animals.

netscape check two
01-13-2009, 03:44 PM
You would think that some of these country bumpkin weirdos and micro penis big game hunters could find something more interesting to do with their lives.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Acting as super-predators, humans are forcing changes to body size and reproductive abilities in some species 300 percent faster than would occur naturally, a new study finds.

Hunting and fishing by individual sportsmen as well as large-scale commercial fishing are also outpacing other human influences, such as pollution, in effects on the animal kingdom. The changes are dramatic and may put the survival of some species in question.

In a review of 34 studies that tracked 29 species across 40 different geographic systems, harvested and hunted populations are on average 20 percent smaller in body size than previous generations, and the age at which they first reproduce is on average 25 percent earlier.

"Harvested organisms are the fastest-changing organisms of their kind in the wild, likely because we take such high proportions of a population and target the largest," said lead researcher Chris Darimont of the University of California, Santa Cruz. "It's an ideal recipe for rapid trait change."

Darimont told LiveScience that while he considers the changes to be evolutionary, some biologists consider them phenotypic and, without evidence of genetic shifts, would not call them evolution.

The study found dramatic change in several fish species and creatures as small as snails and as large as bighorn sheep and caribou.

Dominant force

The results, published online today in the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, are similar to a host of other scientific conclusions dating back nearly two decades.

In 1990, Douglas Chadwick wrote in National Geographic magazine how trophy hunting - the practice of selecting only the largest beasts to kill -"has caused a decline in the average size of Kodiak Bears [in Alaska] over the years."

By harvesting vast numbers and targeting large, reproductively mature individuals, human predation is quickly reshaping wild populations, leaving smaller individuals to reproduce at ever-earlier ages, Darimont explained.

"The pace of changes we're seeing supercedes by a long shot what we've observed in natural systems, and even in systems that have been rapidly modified by humans in other ways," Darimont said. The study found the changes outpace by 50 percent those brought on by pollution and human introduction of alien species.

"As predators, humans are a dominant evolutionary force, he said.

Others agree the problem is serious. Columbia University biologist Don Melnick recently said trophy hunting is akin to selective breeding and is "highly likely to result in the end of a species."

Surprising ability to change

One surprise: The capacity of creatures to change.

"These changes occur well within our lifetimes," Darimont said. "Commercial hunting and fishing has awoken the latent ability of organisms to change rapidly."

Changes occur in two ways. One is sheer genetics:

Evolution can favor smaller fish able to pass through the mesh of gill nets and survive to reproduce, thereby passing on genes for smaller offspring.

Another change process is called plasticity. Shifts to earlier reproduction, for example, can occur because there is a lot of food and fewer fish to dine on it. The fish eat more and reach maturity sooner.

"Whatever the underlying process, shifts to earlier breeding spell trouble for populations," Darimont said. "Earlier breeders often produce far fewer offspring. If we take so much and reduce their ability to reproduce successfully, we reduce their resilience and ability to recover."

One specific example: the overfished Atlantic cod on the eastern coast of Canada. Less than two decades ago, they began mating at age 6. Now they start at age 5.

Government problem

In some cases, as other studies have found, the problem results from decades of big-game hunting and, more recently, poaching. Some populations of African elephants, for example, have unnatural percentages of tusk-free animals among them now, because hunters and poachers favor the ivory.

But some government rules contribute to the problem.

"Fishing regulations often prescribe the taking of larger fish, and the same often applies to hunting regulations," Darimont said. "Hunters are instructed not to take smaller animals or those with smaller horns. This is counter to patterns of natural predation, and now we're seeing the consequences of this management."

Darimont thinks new policies are in order.

"While wolves might prey on 20 animals, humans prey on hundreds of thousands of species," he points out. "We should be mimicking natural predators, which take far less and target smaller individuals."

Policy shifts may or may not save a species, however.

"It's unknown how quickly the traits can change back, or if they will," Darimont said.

TSA
01-13-2009, 04:01 PM
interesting read. hunting for sport goes back to nordic paganism, it explains why white ppl are the only ppl that hunt and fish for sport traditionally

ALCATRAZ
01-13-2009, 08:54 PM
hunting for sport..........shit don't even make sense............i remember watching this chris rock stand up and he was talkin about how americans are tha only people who hunt on a full stomach...shit made me laugh but then i zoned and was like fuck who are tha real animals here

iLLogik
01-14-2009, 12:21 AM
if a human is out in the wild it'll be hunted by something. we are just sophisticated enough to make a sport out of it. survival of the fittest.

ALCATRAZ
01-14-2009, 12:22 AM
im sayin tho y would anyone want to kill another living thing just for sport? not cuz u hungry not cuz u need 2 survive but just because your bored and need sumthin 2 do...

iLLogik
01-14-2009, 12:29 AM
but hunters take the prize and feed their families right? you've never hunted and chris rock never hunted. it's not like they just body the animals and leave the body. families can eat for weeks off of one deer. and it's not only fun, it teaches survival.

ALCATRAZ
01-14-2009, 12:32 AM
survival my left nut....what does a middle aged white man in north dakota need to learn about "survival"... and like i said before, if you are hunting to feed your seeds, more power 2 you! but i see espn they got these shows where they set up shop to shoot deer and catch fish and that shit just doesnt make any sense to me...why do they have all these clothes and guns and special glasses and all this shit just to hunt a fuckin deer....this is not even about survival this is just big kid fun

iLLogik
01-14-2009, 12:37 AM
okay. they have all of that because it is a sport. are you telling me, being a thugged out oakland revolutionist....if you were able to go put holes in something without getting locked up you wouldn't go do it? yeah right.

and it does teach survival. and gun tactics. kids learn at a young age how to hunt ( tactics ), cook raw meat, gut, make clothing out of, and live off of a single deer. there's alot of nerve of people who say hunting is bad yet they eat!!! unless you a vegan and grow ya own food you are eating a hunted animal!!! the innocent controlled reproduction and slaughter of cows and pigs is what is wrong, not hunting!

TSA
01-14-2009, 12:56 AM
if a human is out in the wild it'll be hunted by something. we are just sophisticated enough to make a sport out of it. survival of the fittest.
so you would say Jeffery Domer is more sophisticated then Barack Obama?

ALCATRAZ
01-14-2009, 01:07 AM
okay. they have all of that because it is a sport. are you telling me, being a thugged out oakland revolutionist....if you were able to go put holes in something without getting locked up you wouldn't go do it? yeah right.

and it does teach survival. and gun tactics. kids learn at a young age how to hunt ( tactics ), cook raw meat, gut, make clothing out of, and live off of a single deer. there's alot of nerve of people who say hunting is bad yet they eat!!! unless you a vegan and grow ya own food you are eating a hunted animal!!! the innocent controlled reproduction and slaughter of cows and pigs is what is wrong, not hunting!

I would but it would obviously be warranted. These hunters are just killing animals for the sake of killing animals. And there is a difference between slaughtering cows to feed a nation and hunting on a sunday afternoon to feed your fetish. I said it before and I'll say it once more. If you are killing them to feed off of them then that is understandable. To put a bullet in a ANY living thing for any other reason is straight up retarded. Its no wonder these hunters have to shoot at animals with bullets, if you talkin survival tactics straight up and down n thats how you feel then kill it with your own hands.... at least it would be honest......

Olive Oil Goombah
01-14-2009, 01:16 AM
WHy dont you just join PETA speakonitgod...

..im sick of typeing that..whats your real name???

Mike? George? Jamal?

BTW if you think redneck americans are teh only ones that do this, check out what they do to dolphins in, i think its japan..

Truthfully, i dont understand hunting a 12 point buck and killing it for fun, but whatever.

ALCATRAZ
01-14-2009, 01:19 AM
my name is bartholomew

Olive Oil Goombah
01-14-2009, 01:27 AM
my name is bartholomew

LMAO>..i dont believe you

Koolish
01-14-2009, 02:04 PM
dick cheney didn't miss.

V4D3R
01-14-2009, 04:34 PM
When Mohawks hunt - its to eat and we say a little sending away prayer for the animal's spirit telling it we meant it no harm and its for us to eat and to continue living.
Give thanks to the Creator. My Mohawk step dad used to poach a lot but almost died and was told by a spirit not to poach anymore.

He now buys like 4000$ of alfalfa sprouts a year to feed the deer around his land. I'm talking 200 deer around the house 24/7. Last fall I took a crossbow to a doe that had a busted leg on his property. I still have some in the freezer. Venison is good shit cooked right.

Ghost In The 'Lac
01-14-2009, 05:05 PM
lol this is some stupid Hunting Propaganda.

You didnt even post a link source.

netscape check two
01-14-2009, 05:13 PM
How is it huntin propaganda? My thread is meant to be against the stupid fake sport of hunting:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/20090112/sc_livescience/superpredatorshumansforcerapidevolutionofanimals

netscape check two
01-14-2009, 05:14 PM
but hunters take the prize and feed their families right? you've never hunted and chris rock never hunted. it's not like they just body the animals and leave the body. families can eat for weeks off of one deer. and it's not only fun, it teaches survival.

Hunting isn't fun.
Hunting = unsophisticated

netscape check two
01-14-2009, 05:21 PM
By the way, why do some people take pictures of themselves with a big smile, next to the deer(or another animal) that they just killed? I just find it kinda creepy when a person does that. For example, I saw a girl's profile where she had a bunch of pictures of her friend's carving up a dead deer carcass. Not to stereotype, but I would say that the majority of hunters are rednecks. Most live in the country. A bunch of hunters live down south, which isn't surprising. And most of the female hunters are overweight, and manly looking. Just an accurate observation.

TSA
01-14-2009, 05:46 PM
i used to work for a hunting goods store. They're all rednecks, its not even a 'most' thing.

ALCATRAZ
01-14-2009, 10:42 PM
i used to work for a hunting goods store. They're all rednecks, its not even a 'most' thing.
did a redneck hire you as well or did you just work among them

TSA
01-14-2009, 11:05 PM
hired, the employees were college kids run by hicks and rednecks, it was a call center

oh and whorey milfs and ugly milfs

EAGLE EYE
01-14-2009, 11:30 PM
im sayin tho y would anyone want to kill another living thing just for sport? not cuz u hungry not cuz u need 2 survive but just because your bored and need sumthin 2 do...

Actually I know that some people farther up north do hunt for the meat and survival. Most of you bitching in this thread are just as narrow minded as the "sport" hunting red necks.

There are still are people in the world that live off the land, and when this society breaks down you'll be trying to play catch up. But for the mean time the average man can just go to the grocery store.

We can't exclude Blacks, Asians, etc from the hunting population. It might not be common in the states, but they definitely still do it for survival or sport on other continents. Kick and scream all you want, but its true.

White Americans just glorify it and found a way monetize the market with accessories, travel packages, and media.

EAGLE EYE
01-14-2009, 11:39 PM
But I digress...

I don't argue against the scientific findings about what current hunting trends have produced.

There is a lot of dumb ass gun owners IMO.

kwabena1041
01-15-2009, 10:55 AM

Thats the white man for u, they just seem to like killing and destroying shit. Look at their history.

Olive Oil Goombah
01-15-2009, 11:41 AM
^unemployed

ALCATRAZ
01-15-2009, 01:34 PM
^unemployed
u mad