PDA

View Full Version : Deep freeze makes Quebec feel like High Arctic

V4D3R
01-14-2009, 04:47 PM
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/montreal/story/2009/01/14/mtl-cold-snap-1401.html?ref=rss

Montreal city workers on outdoor duty dressed warm Wednesday. (CBC) Quebecers are experiencing temperatures colder than those at the North Pole on Wednesday, according to meteorologists who are tracking a dome of frigid air that has settled over the province.

The coldest spot in the province Wednesday morning was La Grande-4 Hydro-Québec generating station east of James Bay, which registered a temperature of –45 C.

"The coldest dome over Canada right now is over northern Quebec," said Pascal Yakovakis, meteorologist with Radio-Canada.

"We can say the meteorological North Pole has moved over Quebec. It's actually colder in northern Quebec than the North Pole."

The average winter temperature for the North Pole is –34 C.

Montreal residents clean up after more water mains break

In more southern regions of Quebec, the mercury fell 20 degrees overnight, with temperatures dipping to the mid –20s in Montreal. It's the warmest the city is expected to see until the weekend.

The cold caused three underground water mains to snap in the course of several hours, leaving homeowners in the neighbourhoods of Rivières-des-Prairies and Pointe-aux-Trembles with basements full of frigid water.

'It felt like the Titanic ... The bed was floating.'
— Joey Foisy, resident Pointe-aux-Trembles
Pointe-aux-Trembles resident Joel Foisy told CBC News that he woke up at 3:20 a.m. to cold water pouring into his basement apartment.

"It felt like the Titanic. There were 36 inches [nearly one metre] of water in the house. The bed was floating," he said.

A few blocks away, resident François Hetu borrowed a submersible pump from the Montreal fire department to remove water from his basement.

"I called the insurance company. I hope everything will be covered," he said.

A third break, just north of Hetu's house, forced the partial shutdown of Gouin Boulevard on Tuesday morning.

The pipes were all more than 50 years old.

Since below-normal temperatures moved into Montreal a week ago, more than a dozen water mains and valves have cracked due to the cold. The Montreal fire department expects the trend will continue.

"It's going to stay like this until spring," said Richard Laporte, the department's chief of operations. "Some days, there won't be any, but some days it will be one or two."

City of Sherbrooke evicts man despite cold weather

In Sherbrooke, police said the cold weather might have escalated a tense situation involving a man who barricaded himself in his minivan.

The city had recently sent the man a court order to vacate his house because of unsanitary conditions.

After the city shut off power to the home on Tuesday, the man moved into his mini-van and refused to leave.

He asked the city to let him stay in his home, with heat, until the weather warms up.

Police negotiators were on the scene talking to the man late Wednesday morning.

V4D3R
01-14-2009, 04:52 PM
The is getting on some Day After Tomorrow type shit. It's freezing in Ottawa.
Keep in mind Americans thats Metric degrees of calculation.

-45 Celsius = -49 Fahrenheit

IrOnMaN
01-15-2009, 01:53 PM
Damn. It's cold here in Detroit. It was like -2 at night.

chiba
01-15-2009, 01:58 PM
quebec ..lucky it did rain ...
remember the ice storm!

MsRzaRecTaH
01-16-2009, 03:18 PM
its cold in the windy city, its still -9 dammnit and its 3pm in the afternoon, thats not even with the wind chill ...

V4D3R
01-16-2009, 04:08 PM
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/montreal/story/2009/01/16/mtl-peel-main-break-1601.html?ref=rss

Lake forms in downtown Montreal after 118-year-old pipe bursts
City crews build snow dam to prevent water from spreading into Ville-Marie Tunnel

http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/images/news/photos/2009/01/16/full-watermain090116.jpg
http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/images/news/topstories/2009/01/16/tp-mtl-lake00-02.jpg

Vehicles sit in freezing water in downtown Montreal on Friday after a water main break. (Submitted by Mac Pham)
City officials are asking Montrealers to avoid several blocks around Peel Street in the south end of downtown Montreal as crews repair a massive water main break and try to stop the water from spreading.

A one-block radius around the intersection of Peel and St-Jacques streets, where the water main broke, is expected to remain closed until the end of the weekend. The affected roads include St-Antoine, De la Cathédrale and Des Rivières streets.

'When I walked in the water, I realized the water went up to my knees. After that I just fell down.'
—Anne-Marie Héroux, wet pedestrian
The water main, which dates back to 1891, broke early Friday morning, sending a fountain of water shooting into the air.

More than one person got soaked trying to cross St-Jacques where the water reached depths of more than one metre in some spots.

Anne-Marie Héroux, who works at the nearby federal building, regretted taking the chance to cross the street.

"When I walked in the water, I realized the water went up to my knees. After that I just fell down. In other words, I am totally wet. I don't know what I'm going to do," Héroux told CBC News after a city worker helped her onto dry ground.

A city worker helps a woman who fell after a water main break filled a downtown Montreal intersection on Friday. (CBC)
City trucks moved snow into the area to build a dam to prevent the water from spreading farther, including into the nearby Ville-Marie Tunnel.

"What we are looking at is a dam made of snow," said Jacques-Alain Lavallée, who speaks for the borough of Ville-Marie.

"Fortunately we had not collected all the snow [from the latest storm], so that has become extremely useful. The dam prevents the water from spreading east of Peel [where there is] the access to the Ville-Marie Expressway,"

City wants more money from Ottawa for infrastructure repairs

The break at Peel and St-Jacques was the 19th in as many days in Montreal.

Aging pipes have been giving way as temperatures drop to lows between –20 C and –35 C, levels Montrealers rarely see even in the coldest of winter months.

"The temperature we are experiencing is exceptional for us," said Sammy Forcillo, the city's executive committee member in charge of infrastructure.

Forcillo said the recent rash of water main breaks in Montreal should be a reminder to the federal government of the pressing need to help municipalities repair aging infrastructure.

The city will spend $350 million this year to fix underground water pipes. The city estimates 1,400 kilometres of underground pipe need upgrades, at a cost of $20 billion.

V4D3R
01-16-2009, 04:10 PM
You got pipes older then the Montreal Canadians for fucks sake.

Tecknowledgist
01-16-2009, 04:16 PM
it was -39 here today without the windchill.

it literally hurt to breathe

THE MASON
01-16-2009, 04:23 PM
Teck dont you live northern ontario? fuck i couldnt even imagine

Its like -27 with the wind chill down here

BTTR KNG KOOL
01-16-2009, 08:18 PM
damn that is fucking cold. im glad its been unsually warm here...

THE MASON
01-16-2009, 08:21 PM
yo man your name says you in Finland, thats parallel with Russia

its gotta be pretty cold there, if not then global warming is in serious effect lol

BTTR KNG KOOL
01-16-2009, 11:25 PM
yo man your name says you in Finland, thats parallel with Russia

its gotta be pretty cold there, if not then global warming is in serious effect lol

yea i know, u would expect for it to be cold here.. but last couple o winters have been pretty warm. no extreme cold.

It was +5c just few days ago, then it dropped to -15c. And forecast says its getting warmer in few days again.

its nothing like in canada here atm..

V4D3R
01-18-2009, 09:13 AM
Vancouver broke records yesterday it hit 18C and Alberta was like 12C.
Cold then hot that fast is crazy.

WARPATH
01-20-2009, 11:43 AM
Sorry I missed this thread. Weather's been cold here too. I work in the water industry and we've also been dealing with a lot of pipes freezing and breaking, more than the last 6 years i've worked here.

I feel sorry for the operators that had to deal with that break in Montreal.

Tecknowledgist
01-21-2009, 05:05 PM
Teck dont you live northern ontario? fuck i couldnt even imagine

Its like -27 with the wind chill down here

all the schools got shut down for a couple days. it's retardation. it was my lunch break so i was walking over to mcdonalds and my fuckin eye froze shut. i had to go in and order my meal with one shut waiting for it to thaw out. wtf is that shit. it was literally a two minute walk

its warming up now thank christ. i can breathe outside again without face protection. haha YES.

Tecknowledgist
01-21-2009, 05:06 PM
Damn. It's cold here in Detroit. It was like -2 at night.

LOL

WARPATH
01-21-2009, 05:07 PM
all the schools got shut down for a couple days. it's retardation. it was my lunch break so i was walking over to mcdonalds and my fuckin eye froze shut. i had to go in and order my meal with one shut waiting for it to thaw out. wtf is that shit. it was literally a two minute walk

its warming up now thank christ. i can breathe outside again without face protection. haha YES.

Why were you crying?

Tecknowledgist
01-21-2009, 05:10 PM
two of my nostril hairs froze together and then the one hair pulled the other hair out. made my eyes tear up. no joke hahaha