PDA

View Full Version : Do you think the Korean war and conflict will ever end?

check two
01-18-2009, 12:22 PM
Now there are talks about possible military action by North Korea towards the south. North Korea is known as one of the most elusive and strangest areas of the world. What are your thoughts about this whole thing?

Olive Oil Goombah
01-18-2009, 12:33 PM
Watch the documentary 'Crossing the Line' An interesting look at a U.S. soldier who defected to Korea, and is taken care of by the goverment. The NK gov kidnapped a wife for him and made him have kids so they could make his children into spies...good movie.

WIll it end?? No, not as long as one is one thing and the other is the other. Not as long as Kim is in power either.
Maybe it works for them. I dunno, the way I see it, its not going to end soon, altho, I don't think Koreans fighting eachother would solve anything.
We would are teh South, China would arm the North, and the result would be dead Koreans for nothing.

check two
01-18-2009, 12:40 PM
Ok' I'll check that out. Well I don't think Kim will be in power for much longer, with his ailing health. Though, the woman or man who replaces him might not be much different.

HANZO
01-18-2009, 12:43 PM
unlikely because of NK's very stubborn attitude. its very sad what has become of NK, compare it to the economic power that is South Korea. another reason is because of foreign influence, both sides have strong allies. unless there is overwhelming pressure on the North to stop being bastards. thats unlikely due to their Chinese and Russian allys.

i have a great uncle who died in the Korean war, he buried in Seoul. so yeah FUK DUH NORTH.

Olive Oil Goombah
01-18-2009, 12:47 PM
Yea, NK has been struggling badly. All the communist country do. People have not realized this yet.

Maybe its the 'new' form of dictatorship, a more all encompassing one, and maybe its like the necessary transitional form of government for some places who are having a hard time being democratic.

The problem with republics and democracies is that it take a longer time to get things done, but in the end, its more stable.
With dictatorships things get done alot quicker, but the fate of a country lies in one mans mind and aspiration, which is dangerous.

HANZO
01-18-2009, 12:53 PM
initially communism seems like a good idea, but you can never put it into practice properly, they all fail. i mean look at the economic growth shown by all the former soviet states. once they got rid of communism they all prospered.

the same would happen to NK, but Kim is a cunt. i think ppl are jus waiting for him to die before they restart the re-unification process. which will obviously fail because a united Korea would not be in the interests of China.

Olive Oil Goombah
01-18-2009, 01:14 PM
True, thats why i dont think it will ever change. Because China doesn't want that. ANd of course the U.S. would not stand by idlely while they tried a takeover.

Its basically the cold war lite.

TSA
01-18-2009, 02:07 PM
NK korea will fall in out life times. The economic pressure, foreign pressure, political pressure from shitty government and exposure to the outside world via media cell phones internet and countless north koreas that escape from the place and go to China which is opened up now.

they actually ban internet and cellphones but it will obviously get in somehow or another, there's also the chance of Kim's successor opening the country up following the chinese model inorder to preserve some type of communism which out lead to a gradual capitalization of the country but not a total revolution.

If North Korea doesn't give some slack to all this pressure it will be crushed by it, though they're focus of brainwashing citizens and massive fuckin armed forces and security will make it a difficult climb.

therefore the most successful revolution will be a military lead one, leading to a military dictatorship or some sort, the civilians are too powerless in the face of the army to do such a thing, and i see a military revolution as possible and soon coming due to the pressures and succession problems.

Olive Oil Goombah
01-18-2009, 02:57 PM
depends what the military objective is. If its lead by a power hungry tyrant, thats bad news all over again.

My guess is that the U.S. would work with that faction like they did in other countries, but much more carefully and long-sighted than in the past.

It might be similar to the unification of Germany, but China is bound to get involved so I don't kno how smoothly that would go.

It is an interesting situation.

TSA
01-18-2009, 03:21 PM
usually military take overs happen when the actual government is fucking up full blown, and they tend to stay.

now that the government is fucking up full blown there, a patriotic rightist military coup is likely, idk the nature of the gov its self but i do think the US will support it. If it's extremely idealistic like the previous then it will be dangerous cause that leads to 'dictator complex' where the ppl in power believe their the only source of salvation and therefore focus more on staying in power then the actual salvation, which is the pattern in most idealistic revolutions.

all i can say is the next likely move is military upheaval supported by the US, and it'll suck either way, but in new ways of sucking

idk if unification is even in south korea's interest and jobs will flood to the north and the economy there will sink with the influx of poor undereducated north koreans
plus the cultural tension.

i think the division is here to stay.

HANZO
01-18-2009, 03:50 PM
military coups never work, the nationalistic approach to it would doom North Korea, and would probably spark a war with South Korea.

even if you can unify the 2, the North Koreans wont like the fact that South Korea is one of Americas puppets. So there will always be division between the ppls because their ideologies are different.

TSA
01-18-2009, 10:39 PM
im not saying it wil 'work' im saying it's likely

i don't see the 2 ever uniting though, it would benefit nobody
well north koreans i guess, but not their government or power structure

check two
01-30-2009, 02:12 AM
Hmm..

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SEOUL, South Korea – North Korea said Friday it is ditching a nonaggression pact and all other peace agreements with South Korea, escalating tensions between the wartime rivals in a move seen as a possible prelude to an armed provocation.

The communist nation also said it will no longer respect a disputed sea border with the South, raising the prospect for an armed clash around the Yellow Sea boundary — the scene of deadly skirmishes between the two navies in 1999 and 2002.

South Korea said it regretted the North's latest move and warned it won't tolerate any attempt to violate the border.

Analysts said Pyongyang appears to be trying to build up justification for an armed skirmish.

"This signals that North Korea will stage a provocation" — probably near the maritime border, said Kim Yong-hyun, a North Korea expert at Seoul's Dongguk University. "The North is also trying to draw attention" from President Barack Obama, he said.

The North is using the warning of an armed maritime clash to pressure Seoul to change its hard-line stance, said Yang Moo-jin, an expert at Seoul's University of North Korean Studies.

The two Koreas technically remain at war because their brutal, three-year conflict ended in a truce, not a peace treaty, in 1953. The peninsula remains divided by a heavily fortified Demilitarized Zone, with thousands of troops stationed on both sides of the border.

Relations had warmed considerably over the past decade, with Seoul's liberal leadership adopting a "sunshine policy" of extending aid to the impoverished North as a way to facilitate reconciliation.

But South Korea's current president, conservative Lee Myung-bak, has not committed to accords signed by his predecessors — a stance Pyongyang says proves his hostility. The regime cut off reconciliation talks soon after he took office nearly a year ago.

Lee has refused to give in to the pressure, saying he will "wait" until Pyongyang agrees to return to the reconciliation talks.

On Friday, the North's Committee for the Peaceful Reunification of Korea — a ruling Workers' Party organ in charge of ties with Seoul — declared all past peacekeeping accords with the South "dead," claiming Lee is escalating tensions with the regime.

"The group of traitors has already reduced all the agreements reached between the North and the South in the past to dead documents," the committee said in a statement carried by the state-run Korean Central News Agency.

The statement specifically mentioned a nonaggression pact that the two sides signed in late 1991 pledging not to invade each other and to seek peaceful unification. The so-called Basic Agreement has served as a basis for future peace accords, such as summit agreements signed in 2000 and 2007.

It also said the maritime boundary off the divided peninsula's west coast will be "nullified."

The U.S.-led United Nations Command unilaterally drew the Yellow Sea border, also known as the Northern Limit Line or NLL, at the end of the war — but Pyongyang claims it should be redrawn farther south.

"The position of our military on the NLL is firm," Defense Ministry spokesman Won Tae-jae said. "If the North violates it, we will sternly respond to that."

Unification Ministry spokesman Kim Ho-nyeon said the government regretted the North's move and urged the regime to defuse the tensions through dialogue.

The Defense Ministry said its troops remain on alert, though there have been no unusual moves by the North's military.

Earlier this month, the North's military accused the South of preparing to wage war and said it had adopted an "all-out confrontational posture" to rebuff any southern aggression.

Seoul denied plotting any attack on the North.

Kim, the Dongguk University professor, said any skirmish would be limited in scale and intensity because Pyongyang is aware that serious deadly clashes would irreparably harm relations with Seoul — and Washington.

The latest verbal attack from Pyongyang comes as both Koreas watch to see how Obama's North Korea policy takes shape.

After eight years of icy relations with the Bush administration, Pyongyang hopes to have improved relations with Obama, analysts say. Obama has said he would be willing to meet with Kim Jong Il if it advances the effort to disarm the North of its nuclear capabilities.

North Korea, which tested a nuclear bomb in 2006, signed a pact in 2007 with five other nations — the U.S., South Korea, Japan, Russia and China — agreeing to dismantle its nuclear program in exchange for aid.

That process has been stalled since August, and talks in Beijing in December failed to get the process back on track.

drippie k
01-30-2009, 05:53 AM
things will stay that way until that bastard/movie director kim jong il is alive...and even when he dies, china's gonna support whoever comes out most similar to that dude and you already know north koreans dont have a say in shit

communism only works in theory...the only people that ever came close to being successful were the soviets...and then look what happened

TSA
01-30-2009, 07:05 AM
i dont think china would care either way. a capitalist N.Korea is more money for them after some time as opposed to being an AID burden but i can't call it cause i don't write foreign policy