PDA

View Full Version : BBC: UN shocked by Gaza destruction

food for thought
01-23-2009, 09:05 AM
UN 'shocked' by Gaza destruction

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/45405000/jpg/_45405577_kid_getty466b.jpg
The UN has said at least 50,000 Gazans are now homeless

The UN's humanitarian chief has told the BBC the situation in Gaza after a three-week Israeli offensive against Hamas was worse than he anticipated.

Sir John Holmes, who visited Gaza on Thursday, said he was shocked by "the systematic nature of the destruction".

He said that the territory's economic activity had been set back by years.

Meanwhile, Israeli PM Ehud Olmert is reported to have placed his justice minister in charge of defending Israel against any accusations of war crimes.

Daniel Friedman will lead an inter-ministerial team to co-ordinate a legal defence for Israeli civilians and the military, a government source was quoted by AFP as saying.

Richard Falk - the UN special rapporteur for human rights in the Palestinian territories - has said there was "a prima facie case" that Israel gravely breached the Geneva Conventions during its 22-day campaign.

Israel responded by saying that Mr Falk's "bias against Israel was well known".

Future of Gaza

Mr Holmes, the top UN official responsible for emergency relief and humanitarian affairs, said the scale of destruction would have "disturbing" repercussions for the people of Gaza.

CONFLICT IN FIGURES
More than 1,300 Palestinians killed
Thirteen Israelis killed
More than 4,000 buildings destroyed in Gaza, more than 20,000 severely damaged
50,000 Gazans homeless and 400,000 without running water

Bowen diary: Rafah rebuilds
Special report: Gaza conflict
Who are Hamas?
Middle East conflict: History in maps

In an interview with the BBC's Today Programme, he described an industrial area where every building within a square kilometre had been levelled, by bulldozers and shells.

He told of broken pipes pumping out raw sewage onto the streets.

"I'm sure the Israelis would say that's because there were people there firing shells and rockets from there, or perhaps manufacturing them.

"But the nature of that destruction means that any kind of private economic activity in Gaza is set back by years or decades," he said.

"That's very disturbing for the future of Gaza, for the future of the people of Gaza, who are forced to fall back on the public sector and indeed on Hamas, who control the public sector."

Israel said it launched its offensive to stop cross-border rocket attacks by militants in Gaza against its civilians.

The intense fighting ended on Sunday, with both sides declaring a ceasefire.

Palestinian medical officials said about 1,300 Palestinians were killed and thousands more were injured. Thirteen Israelis died during the conflict.

Ghost In The 'Lac
01-23-2009, 09:08 AM
I saw on Channel 4 last night Gazan father whose 4 year old daughters were shot slowly and killed point blank outside of their house by Isreali troop.

The whole neigherbood had been crushed, no house was left standing.

They are shooting children. Its a fact. One was still alive in an Egyptian Hospital, but she was paralised.

food for thought
01-23-2009, 09:14 AM
^yo i was just in the process of posting an article of that story too dogg

shit is appalling

Ghost In The 'Lac
01-23-2009, 09:17 AM
Isreal planned how to handle all the media before hand though. They knew what they were about to do, sneaky fucks

Not only banning all western media reporters from entering Gaza (illegal, no freedom of press), but they also put women as spokepeople for the army on TV interviews and stuff, to soften their image.

dezmond
01-23-2009, 09:30 AM
Photo proof of white phosfor missiles on civilians fter israel was saying its 100% false allegations..

This is gonna escalate..

Just waiting for Iran to get involved....

Ghost In The 'Lac
01-23-2009, 09:35 AM
thing is these fucking isrealis are putting the whole WORLDs safety in jeopordy. They are surrounded by Muslim countries. Its like theyre going out of their way to piss people off.

Man i fuckign hate that country

dezmond
01-23-2009, 09:40 AM
^^ They doin it because they've got backup fron america whoever is "president"

Tage
01-23-2009, 10:18 AM
when i came into this thread... i actually thought you meant.. "Gazza" aka Paul Gascoine, an old English football legend who is now a fuck up.

drippie k
01-23-2009, 06:01 PM
fuckin crazy man, those israelis are nuts and then they wonder why all those arab countries hate them, smh...if some crazy shit goes down in isreal, they fuckin deserve it

11th Chamber
01-23-2009, 06:05 PM
I saw on Channel 4 last night Gazan father whose 4 year old daughters were shot slowly and killed point blank outside of their house by Isreali troop.

They are shooting children. Its a fact. One was still alive in an Egyptian Hospital, but she was paralised.

Thats part of war. Dont act like Israel is the first to do that

food for thought
01-23-2009, 06:12 PM
go read that article

u ever heard of babies and women getting shot in close range?

11th Chamber
01-23-2009, 06:15 PM
go read that article

u ever heard of babies and women getting shot in close range?

I read the article.

And yes it happens

Its war.

Ghost In The 'Lac
01-23-2009, 07:17 PM
thats nothing to do with war whats wrong with you

diggy
01-23-2009, 07:28 PM
That has everything to do with war.

There are no righteous wars.

Wars come with rape and murder and theft.

11th Chamber
01-23-2009, 07:29 PM
when they tally up casualties, they dont have a separate column for women and children.

diggy
01-23-2009, 07:30 PM
^^Tru, the lowest instincts come out when it comes to war.

11th Chamber
01-23-2009, 07:36 PM
That has everything to do with war.

There are no righteous wars.

Wars come with rape and murder and theft.

Yup.

For some reason, some people have the image that war is just soldiers shooting soldiers.

There has been way worse shit done in all the battles that have taken place in Africa the last 50 years than what has occured in Gaza

TSA
01-23-2009, 07:37 PM
or are they your highest?

diggy
01-23-2009, 08:03 PM
Yup.

For some reason, some people have the image that war is just soldiers shooting soldiers.

There has been way worse shit done in all the battles that have taken place in Africa the last 50 years than what has occured in Gaza

I guess black people dying does not interest the news media.

diggy
01-23-2009, 08:06 PM
or are they your highest?

Possibly.

If we fight for things like self-protection and punish those who deserve to be punished, it could make this earth a better place.

But many use war to let their instinct loose at the expense of others.

HANZO
01-24-2009, 10:15 AM

i saw that program, it showed the little baby girl who got run over by a tank.

that isnt war, knowingly killing civilians isnt war when you have the so-called best intelligience and smartest weapons available to man.