PDA

View Full Version : Religulous -- Bill Maher's documentary on religion and the bible being rediculous

Art Vandelay
01-27-2009, 09:15 PM
http://www.megavideo.com/?v=67NZK465

Face of the Golden Falcon
01-27-2009, 10:04 PM
P.E.A.C.E and Blessings Art...

I haven't watched it all. I flipped through it so-to-speak. I might sit down and watch it all later on.

Can I just ask though, is there anything in this documentary that looks at a religion not of Judeo-Christian origin? Or is Bill Maher, like George Carlin (and yourself from what I have gathered) choosing to write off religion without even looking into it's origins or at those other religions not of Judeo-Christian origin?

A part from that I'm just waiting for Prof Zooruka to come in to this thread and say something like:

"All the Bible is true, Jesus is Lord and Saviour, Bill Maher is going to Hell where he will burn for all eternity."

SHEM HETEP

Art Vandelay
01-27-2009, 10:31 PM
most of this is of judeo christian origin because he was raised catholic and he is also half jewish. he touches on the muslim religion a little bit.

sorry he didn't spend an hour of his documentary talking about the 1,000 other religions that only 3 people belong to.

01-27-2009, 10:51 PM
most of this is of judeo christian origin because he was raised catholic and he is also half jewish. he touches on the muslim religion a little bit.

sorry he didn't spend an hour of his documentary talking about the 1,000 other religions that only 3 people belong to.

lol - just don't like it when people generalize about "religion" when they don't know shit about it except what they learned brought up as a christian. I got no problems with the content of the documentary, but from the bits I saw were it says "religion" leads to this and that and such and so forth, when really he's just talking about Christianity.

SHEM HETEP

Art Vandelay
01-27-2009, 11:57 PM
lol, you're like the one guy that can smoke crack and still keep his day job, and then get mad when somebody says drugs are bad. i'm glad religion could help you, but i don't think i am exaggerating when i say 95% of religion is bad. whether it's murder, war, thievery, or just lies ruining peoples lives.

01-28-2009, 03:15 AM
lol, you're like the one guy that can smoke crack and still keep his day job, and then get mad when somebody says drugs are bad.

That was the worst analogy I've ever heard. I'll keep with the trend. Your like the guy who declares Ice Cream as the worst food ever, based on the fact that he didn't like the taste of strawberry flavor but has never tasted any other flavor.

And who's mad? I greeted you with peace when I entered this thread and I cant see any reason why you would think I am mad. Like I said in another thread I'm not trying to convert you to any sort of religion (I'm not part of one) nor am I attacking your stance on things (in fact I respect your science first stance). I'm simply presenting the possibility that there is a way in which science and religion is one and that one will not find this oneness if they discount all religion based on a few flavors.

i'm glad religion could help you, but i don't think i am exaggerating when i say 95% of religion is bad. whether it's murder, war, thievery, or just lies ruining peoples lives.

You made the statement of "3000 different religions" and declare "95% of religion is bad" based on your views of what? Judaism, Islam, and Christianity (at the most), yet you know nothing of the other 2997.

SHEM HETEP

drippie k
01-28-2009, 03:47 AM
yeah, like scientology....................................... .................................................. ................................

DrBold241
06-30-2009, 03:36 PM
95% of religion is bad. whether it's murder, war, thievery, or just lies ruining peoples lives.
co-sign
and Religulous is a hillarious documentary.
as long as you're not an uptight jackass who will write off the movie immediately since it questions your ideals with numerous facts, and documentation of fundamentalist fools that make a mockery of the religion they follow...... well i highly recommend it.

diggy
06-30-2009, 04:07 PM
Many say religion and the scriptures are one. This is false.

Religion opposes the scriptures.

ALCATRAZ
06-30-2009, 04:13 PM
aw it was removed

Olive Oil Goombah
06-30-2009, 04:18 PM
religion is no different than government or any organization.

The larger it gets, the more it loses its initial intentions, the more it compromises itself. It becomes generic in its own right, defined by symbols etc.

religion is religion. You cannot attack one and say another is just fine, because its smaller and has had less of an effect on the world.

diggy
06-30-2009, 04:27 PM
religion is no different than government or any organization.

There are some similarities.

You cannot attack one and say another is just fine, because its smaller and has had less of an effect on the world.

Did I do that?

Christianity is a religion, and I have attacked it.

What is written in the bible is NOT a religion, and I have told y'all that.

Islam as presented by some 'muslims' is a religion, and I have attacked it.

Islam as it is presented in the Quran is NOT a religion, and keep telling y'all that.

Mr. Muhammad
06-30-2009, 04:29 PM
Salaam (Peace) to all...

I just watched this film ...again... last night.

Bill Maher raises many good points in this film. Unfortunately, he flips back and forth between "critical analysis" and "fallacy" so often that after about two thirds of the film I'm somewhere between disinterested and disappointed.

He makes far too many assumptions, and in some cases, blatantly misrepresents other people's positions.

But, as I said in the beginning, he does raise some valid questions and points. You just have to sift through the garbage to get the gold...that is, IF you think it's worth it.

RM

DrBold241
06-30-2009, 04:47 PM
There are some similarities.

SOME similarities?
organized religion IS THE first form of government.
easiest way to control people is tell them there's a higher power that only you can hear and they have to listen to it through you.
religion is control.

Olive Oil Goombah
06-30-2009, 04:59 PM
^exactly.

And that is why Clovis converted, and thats how he got many of the barbarian tribes of europe to convert.
They followed the leader, and if they did not, they were killed.

Same goes for the Arab conquest of North Africa and the spread of Islam the religion.

diggy
06-30-2009, 05:09 PM
True.

What are in the scriptures though is not advocating "religion".

Religion came after the messeges of the prophets...after they left.

Olive Oil Goombah
06-30-2009, 05:12 PM
I believe their were indeed warning of 'religion'....at least in the Bible. I cannot speak for the Quran.

But again, it is hard to interpret just what God or Jesus meant because we are getting what they said second hand from the apostles, prophets or authors of the books.

diggy
06-30-2009, 05:21 PM
I believe their were indeed warning of 'religion'....at least in the Bible. I cannot speak for the Quran.

But again, it is hard to interpret just what God or Jesus meant because we are getting what they said second hand from the apostles, prophets or authors of the books.

Exactly.

If my memory is correct, Jesus was against the "priests" of his time.

Also, the Quran warns against priest, imams, and people like them who want money.

Olive Oil Goombah
06-30-2009, 05:32 PM
Yup.

Its funny, when I look at some people, how controlled they are by certain aspects of their religion.
I dont doubt there are lingering controls I have from Catholicism...minor ones, but all the same, they still linger.

Im not against rituals, that is part of human existence, it always has been for the most part.
Im against what 'religion' and any kind of organization that forces people to 'believe or else' can create.

diggy
06-30-2009, 05:36 PM
I'm against "religion" also and I always differentiate what is advocated by "religion" and what the scriptures advocate.

tajeco
07-01-2009, 07:43 PM
I've listened to a lot of George Carlin, and read his books. Same with Bill Maher and David Cross. Carlin says "I was raised Catholic until I reached the age of reason. So about 2 1/2 years". I don't want to speak for them, so I won't say what they said, it's all there to read and hear, but I don't think they've blindly dismissed religion.
I have a friend who was made to go to church every Sunday, and it got more and more pointless for him. He'd ask his mom advice, and she'd say "well Jesus says...", or the lord or god or whatever, and he'd think "I want to know what you think mom, what the fuck does Jesus know about me getting a car, or saving for an apartment".

oDoUoSoKo
07-01-2009, 09:29 PM
for me, going to sunday school made me understand why religion is an abomination. and not cuz it was boring, just because the more i learned, the more i realized was ridiculous.

WARPATH
07-01-2009, 09:41 PM
Bill Mahrerer smokes weed.

That means he's cool.

food for thought
07-01-2009, 10:02 PM
thanks for posting Art, but it seems like it has been taked down.

can u re-up it or find another link??

ive been meanin to watch this