PDA

View Full Version : What is the first thing you check when judging a game

Ritter
01-28-2009, 03:10 AM
The first thing I'm checking is the atmosphere. The sounds, the music, the whole vibe of the game. It has to fit the theme, and it can basically make a game three times better.

My fav game ever, Diablo (1)... Is the #1 game based solely on the way the atmosphere boosts your gaming experience. The low-volume drums and laughter when you enter the dungeon, the voice acting... The books with poems found throughout the game.

The whole vibe of the game is the most important thing imo. It could be the best game ever technically, but if it doesn't have a decent vibe, it won't get more than 80% score in my book.

Discuss.

http://www-users.mat.uni.torun.pl/~rembol/eng/diablo1.jpg

NIGHT MAYOR
01-28-2009, 03:13 AM
controls/phsyics, its like, would you rather play doom ? or halo ?

everyone knows what my favourite game/s is.

shaolinsword
01-28-2009, 04:04 AM
Games come down to three things for me;

Story
Gameplay
Graphics

I'm not overly bothered about graphics as long as they aint atari style

Tyler Durden
01-28-2009, 04:13 AM
I would say the same as above.

Depending on the type of game I might say the acting but sometimes the shitness of the acting works even better.

Like Silent Hill 1.

"Huh...radio. What's going on with that radio?"

Piss myself every time

RagnaroK
01-28-2009, 10:54 AM
first the game most pick my interest in order for me to start judging
most of the time its boils down to graphics gameplay story like Shaolin said but there are times where you can get pass that, with some games whether it have the ugliest graphics or the wackest stories you like it anyway
sometimes the game just got something that gets your attention

one example for me was "The Way Of The Samurai" the game just have average graphics the story was stupid if it had any, but the way the game is play was fun as hell
you just running around freely helping people in trouble or killing them causing the trouble was brilliant not to mention the sword skills system where you had to learn move depending on the type of sword for better ways to slash foes shit was flawless
man i miss this game they should make another one

THE MASON
01-28-2009, 11:24 AM
Gameplay

if the game doesnt have a good story and gameplay that keeps your attention, i wont even look at it anymore. Gameplay also translates into replay value

i find a lot of games these days are lacking quality gameplay, so i find myself falling back on classic games still

SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS
01-28-2009, 01:42 PM
Gameplay

if the game doesnt have a good story and gameplay that keeps your attention, i wont even look at it anymore. Gameplay also translates into replay value

i find a lot of games these days are lacking quality gameplay, so i find myself falling back on classic games still

for me it does have to do wit gameplay and controller layout because you have allot of action games that the controls are so confusing that it makes very hard to play such as 1st person games or a metal gear solid type of game. or sometimes the controller makes it hard such as the x-box 360 controller which i've never liked

WARPATH
01-28-2009, 03:14 PM
Is it fun?

Yeah, I play it if it isn't fun I ask......why am I playing this?

Kingkazim
01-28-2009, 03:33 PM
re-playability
is the game fun and good enough to keep me going for a long period of time?
or is it a 8 hour game with no online?

games like cod will keep you going for years

Rame
01-28-2009, 03:42 PM
Gameplay.

thatKid
01-28-2009, 04:14 PM
graphics and gameplay

Mr. X
01-28-2009, 04:52 PM
Gameplay and controls. If the controls are clunky and make the game more work than play, it'll just collect dust until I get pissed enough at it to deal with it.

MaXiMus Da MaNtis
01-28-2009, 05:13 PM
1.Gameplay Which Would Include Control Playability Funfactor
2.Story
3.Length......Than After That It Doesnt Matter But Also
Grafix
Sound
Ect

Tyler Durden
01-28-2009, 07:37 PM
re-play value.....

games are way too expensive these days to just buy 'any' piece of shit.....

Yea, good point, especially with some of the games now that can be clocked in a few hours

Tecknowledgist
01-28-2009, 07:53 PM
i thought games were generally cheaper than they were before. i remember paying 80$(cdn) plus tax for N64 games. games of this generation are usually 30$ cheaper

for me its gameplay/controls. games with shitty controls ruin everything. and the camera falls into there too

i cant even count how many good games have been ruined by SHITTY CAMERAS.