PDA

View Full Version : NFL needs to have a BCS

b-dolo
02-02-2009, 12:48 PM
If pittsburgh and arizona were really the best two teams in the nfl, they should just be like college football and have rankings to determine a championship. i was really unimpressed by both teams, neither of them could run the ball or defend the pass, all either team could do well on defense was rush the passer. Coaching in the 4th quarter was amateur, how both kept giving up big plays.

THE W
02-02-2009, 12:59 PM
g

T

F

O

H

Art Vandelay
02-02-2009, 03:48 PM
this is a joke, right? everybody in the world wants college football to go to a playoff because the voting system is flawed. you have to be the only retard that wants people to vote on what team gets the championship in the nfl.

if there was a better team than the steelers or cardinals, then they would have been in the super bowl.

the last few super bowls have been some of the greatest games ever. these games have been much better than the lopsided games during the 90s

Visionz
02-02-2009, 03:52 PM
^couldn't co-sign enough on that. Those 54-3 blowouts where garbage.

b-dolo
02-02-2009, 05:20 PM
I just think if arizona and pittsburgh are the two best teams ,then the nfl has a problem, both of those teams are far from the great superbowl teams in the past, even the steeler team that won a few years ago would have beat the piss out of this steeler team. pitt could not even run the ball and they had the best scoring defense ever in the nfl but could'nt stop zona from almost making the biggest comeback ever in a superbowl.

KZA
02-02-2009, 05:22 PM
Fuck The Bcs

Visionz
02-02-2009, 06:36 PM
I just think if arizona and pittsburgh are the two best teams ,then the nfl has a problem, both of those teams are far from the great superbowl teams in the past, even the steeler team that won a few years ago would have beat the piss out of this steeler team. pitt could not even run the ball and they had the best scoring defense ever in the nfl but could'nt stop zona from almost making the biggest comeback ever in a superbowl.
no wonder you want the BCS-type shit for the NFL, you want to get into hypotheticals that have no basis in reality. Ben had a FAR better game than he did in the last superbowl he played in. That seahawks vs steelers superbowl was both boring and wack.

Your argument is both baseless and pointless. In the NFL you have to prove it on the field just the way it should be.

Olive Oil Goombah
02-02-2009, 07:16 PM
Pittsburgh WAS the best team this year. They were more successful throwing the ball than running it anyway. So was Arizona. In fact, Arizona had NO running game all year.

the BCS ruins every college football season and determines nothing. THese two teams were the best teams because they played the playoff and this is the outcome. Winning games in pressure do or die situations defines whether or not your the best team and Pittsburgh did it.

b-dolo
02-02-2009, 07:28 PM
simply put, i think this steeler team imo is the worst team i have ever seen win superbowl, of course a bcs system would suck, but it also sucks to watch a superbowl when the team's playing in it are noticeably flawed.

Visionz
02-02-2009, 07:43 PM
simply put, i think this steeler team imo is the worst team i have ever seen win superbowl, of course a bcs system would suck, but it also sucks to watch a superbowl when the team's playing in it are noticeably flawed.They had the number 1 ranked defense in the NFL this year.
What makes them any worse than when the Ravens won it? And who was the best team in the league this year if it wasn't the Steelers?

Art Vandelay
02-02-2009, 08:07 PM
b-dolo has to be a ghostlaced secondary just trying to start an arguement for no reason. some people are saying this was the best super bowl ever (i still think last year's was better.)

he is complaining about no pass defense, but pittsburgh shut larry fitz down for 3/4 of the game. arizona had the best passing offense in the league, nobody expected pittsburgh to shut them down, and they didn't.

come on, a 100yd int return for a td with no time left in the half, a 60 yard td by larry fitz, an amazing catch by santonio with 35 seconds left. what else could you ask for in a superbowl.

hectis
02-02-2009, 08:15 PM
I agree, with who ever it was who made this thread. I mean it is not like the NFL had some kind of tournament that places 6 of the best teams from the NFC and AFC and the team from each the NFC/AFC who at the end of this tournament(we will call this tournament a playoff) plays in some type of game that is above all games super so I guess we will call this a super bowl to determine who is the champion of that season, no the nfl just puts all the teams names in a hat and damn it the steelers and cards names just got pulled, fuck maybe next year they will pull the vikings name

To contiue, it is not like utah, USC and everyother winner of a BCS bowl game(not counting florida) was like "we agree that there should be no such thing as a playoff, even though we feel we can beat any team" nope they all gave the system a round of applouse, and had cake too.

Olive Oil Goombah
02-02-2009, 09:53 PM
what???

anybody who thinks the BCS is better should be rounded up and shot because it is only microcosm of all the other fucked up shit they probably think..

This Pittsburgh team was good. They had two solid RBs, one great WR and one potentially great one who dominated in crunch time. Not to mention the best defense in the league.

Arizona defense was average at best, but there offense was prolific. They torched everyone this year and Warner had insane numbers.

b dolo is just hating because he is probably some sort of Titans or Ravens fan

THE W
02-03-2009, 10:18 AM
i think hectis was being sarcastic.

Olive Oil Goombah
02-03-2009, 10:29 AM
yes, after rereading i realize this.

but it still stands. bdolo should be shot and killed.

hectis
02-03-2009, 01:28 PM
Originally Posted by b-dolo http://www.wutang-corp.com/forum/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.wutang-corp.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1473017#post1473017)
If pittsburgh and arizona were really the best two teams in the nfl, they should just be like college football and have rankings to determine a championship. i was really unimpressed by both teams, neither of them could run the ball or defend the pass, all either team could do well on defense was rush the passer. Coaching in the 4th quarter was amateur, how both kept giving up big plays.

the steelers had the number one pass defenses and the number two rush D, and the cards stepped their game up in the post season. coaching was amateur? the cards nearly made a fourth quarter comeback and the steelers did.my theory is you lost money on this game, or your a giants and titans fan; this being based on if there was a bcs those two teams would have played in the super, no disrespect to the real giant and titans fans of this forum

simply put, i think this steeler team imo is the worst team i have ever seen win superbowl, of course a bcs system would suck, but it also sucks to watch a superbowl when the team's playing in it are noticeably flawed.

on what grounds do you base this on? first of all they had the toughest schedule this season, they all most were number one in every defensive category, and they beat 2 good teams in the playoffs, and a good cards team. are you basing that on the fact the beat the cars, well the cards beat the falcons, panthers and eagles; all three of those teams were picked to easily win and were playing great football. as were the chargers and ravens. so let me ask you how many super bowls have you watched?

furthmore, you say the NFL needs a BCS, but then you say it would suck, that nakes no sense what so ever, if it does not work in college, then why have it in the pros?

Third, your wrote " sucks to watch a superbowl when the team's playing in it are noticeably flawed." only one team in the history of the NFL can say they had no flaws, and even then you can find some. if you took every team in the NFL their is a flaw. sure some teams have way more then others, but every team has them

this thread is a waste and should be locked!

Sky Blue Danny Kid
02-03-2009, 05:05 PM
Obviously, the NFL playoffs is the shit, and a play-off is obviously the best way to determine the champion.

HOWEVER, that being said, I don't mind the BCS for college football. It keeps people talking, makes every single regular season game playoff-like, generates a shit-load of money for the NCAA and its members, and a play-off system would interfere with the logistics and academic components of the NCAA.

Visionz
02-03-2009, 05:39 PM
Obviously, the NFL playoffs is the shit, and a play-off is obviously the best way to determine the champion.

HOWEVER, that being said, I don't mind the BCS for college football. It keeps people talking, makes every single regular season game playoff-like, generates a shit-load of money for the NCAA and its members, and a play-off system would interfere with the logistics and academic components of the NCAA.what do you think about that law suit filed by Utah challenging the BCS on the principal that the current rules unfailrly prohibit them from taking part in that shit-load of money?

I don't think that a playoff system would really hamper most of the points you've brought up here. idk what you mean when you say logistics and academics insofar as it doesn't seem like it would be too much different from what goes on now

Sky Blue Danny Kid
02-03-2009, 08:12 PM
what do you think about that law suit filed by Utah challenging the BCS on the principal that the current rules unfailrly prohibit them from taking part in that shit-load of money?

I don't think that a playoff system would really hamper most of the points you've brought up here. idk what you mean when you say logistics and academics insofar as it doesn't seem like it would be too much different from what goes on now

Utah still made a shitload of money and gained exposure. THe lawsuit is simply because they couldn't play for the championship, and I have no defense of that.

Im not necessarily AGAINST a playoff, but what do you do?

Shorten the regular season? Most schools will lose money by playing less

Lengthen the calender year? That is the academic reason I brought up.
Now, it is basically a facade that these are student-athletes, but in theory, we should be fixing that. Not to mention that football is a physically demanding sport, and each week is grueling.

But, as I said, I'm not against a play-off system, I just don't necessarily hate the BCS

Come Honor Face
02-04-2009, 02:59 AM
And who was the best team in the league this year if it wasn't the Steelers?

How about the team that had the best record, and smashed the Steelers the only time they played? That's right, the Titans. (yes homer) To the threadstarter, the best team in the NFL don't always win the Super Bowl. As a matter of fact, they don't win it very often. The Patriots were clearly the best team in the NFL last year, and they din't win the Super Bowl either. They had their chance, and they lost. The Titans, Giants, Panthers, or whoever you thought was the best this year had their chances too, and they lost. This thread is ridiculous. The Steelers are the world champs, and they will be remembered as the best team whether they were or not. That's how it works. Sorry. BCS in the NFL? HELL NO!!!

Olive Oil Goombah
02-04-2009, 08:57 AM
So by your logic, the Ravens were better than the Titans???

The Regular season really doesnt determine anything because the games arent nearly as pressure filled and dont mean as much.

Face it, just like I said, outside of their RBs, the Titans had next to nothing on offense and Kerry Collins is not that dude.

Come Honor Face
02-04-2009, 09:28 AM
If I'm not mistaken, that would only be your opinion. I happen to have a different one. I know that bothers you, and I'm sorry for that. It's hard to be a Browns fan these days. Face it, you're a the kind of guy who hates on the teams with the best records, and top playoff seeds, cuz you want other teams fans to feel that losing feeling you're feeling most of the time. Well, I hope you got some real enjoyment out of the Titans, and Giants losing. I'm glad to see some good came of it. Congrats.

ALC
02-04-2009, 09:58 AM
If pittsburgh and arizona were really the best two teams in the nfl, they should just be like college football and have rankings to determine a championship. i was really unimpressed by both teams, neither of them could run the ball or defend the pass, all either team could do well on defense was rush the passer. Coaching in the 4th quarter was amateur, how both kept giving up big plays.I sort of agree here, I think Pittsburgh deserved to go, not Arizona.

Olive Oil Goombah
02-04-2009, 11:48 AM
If I'm not mistaken, that would only be your opinion. I happen to have a different one. I know that bothers you, and I'm sorry for that. It's hard to be a Browns fan these days. Face it, you're a the kind of guy who hates on the teams with the best records, and top playoff seeds, cuz you want other teams fans to feel that losing feeling you're feeling most of the time. Well, I hope you got some real enjoyment out of the Titans, and Giants losing. I'm glad to see some good came of it. Congrats.

On the contrary. I have an unbiased view about football and that is especially true when my team is not in it. I've been saying all year that I didn't think they Titans had enough to win it all.
And, if you have the time, you can go back to last year, when I was saying how the Giants, with their defensive line could beat anyone because the D-Line neutralized great offenses,and that it all depended on if Eli didn't blow it. ANd last year he didnt.
I have no allegiance to any team outside of the Browns.
Thats obvious, and in my opinion the Steelers were the best team in the league. I have been saying this.

Its business, and you are taking it way too personal.

I sort of agree here, I think Pittsburgh deserved to go, not Arizona.

How did Arizona not 'deserve' to go??? If Philly or Carolina 'deserved' to go, or any of the other playoff team, than they should have won.
Its that simple and its why the playoff format is the best because you determine it on the field and not in some poll.

hectis
02-04-2009, 12:07 PM
it's like this, people can say the cards should not have played in the super bowl, and yes they did suck at the end of the season, but they won in the playoffs and beat 3 good teams, and came close to winning the super bowl.

Olive Oil Goombah
02-04-2009, 12:10 PM
exactly.

in any sport also, its about who is playing best during the playoffs. If you dont have it together by then, they your not a great team.

Art Vandelay
02-04-2009, 04:04 PM
let's start a petition to overturn superbowl 3. joe namath and the jets had no business beating the baltimore colts. actually, the afl had no business even being in the super bowl those first few years. the nfl was superior.

ALC
02-05-2009, 09:33 AM
exactly.

in any sport also, its about who is playing best during the playoffs. If you dont have it together by then, they your not a great team.Although the Titans haven't done so well the past few years like they did this past year, I think they are one of the teams that deserve to be in the playoffs. Eagles did very well in the playoffs, but really shouldn't have gotten there in the first place.

Olive Oil Goombah
02-05-2009, 10:48 AM
the Eagles played great down the stretch and totally deserved it. It doesnt really matter about deserving anyway. Everyone know exactly what they need to do to get in, its not like there is a mystery.

every year there are scenarios that need to happen, so this deserving stuff is just ridiculous.
i cant believe we are actually haveing this discussion about the NFL playoffs.

someone was obviously hurt that his/her team didnt make it.

Visionz
02-09-2009, 08:57 PM
saw this reading espn and immediately thought of this thread

jason (nebraska): nfl needs a bcs system so the two best teams play in the superbowl

Matt Williamson: Worst idea I have ever heard.
Now we all know what b-dolo really goes by

kurupt_kw
02-10-2009, 09:57 AM
Are you serious? The BCS is pretty much a joke and implementing the ranking system into the NFL would make it a sideshow. Pitt and Arizona worked hard all year and earned the right to fight for the chance of winning a championship. They played their best football in the postseason (especially Arizona) and deserved to be in the Super Bowl. They proved it by their play on the field, not by stats and some rank given to them by others.

THE W
02-10-2009, 10:05 AM
LMAO at this thread having 31 replies. people arguing for a BCS system in the pro's are retarded, full stop.

you'd be better off arguing that 2+2 = 22.