PDA

View Full Version : Its time for people to quit hating on the south

Durag
02-17-2009, 05:07 AM
Im not saying this as a huge fan of the south or anything, but i do like some of the shit that comes out of there, and i also dislike some of it, same as any east coast, west coast, hardcore, old school etc etc.

I think people seem to forget that in reality, hip-hop is just a genre now. It may have ment more back in the late 70's early 80's, but right now its just a music genre, and as far as i see it, Southern hip-hop is just a sub-genre of hip-hop, so why do people hate on it, saying its ruining hip-hop, and its destroyed hip-hop etc.

If your looking for the lyrical wizadry of Nas or Rakim, or the flawless flow of Pun or G. Rap or the deadly punchlines of Big L and Lord Finesse you wont find them, but you will find bangin beats, catchy hooks, simple lyrics so what makes that any worse than the east-coast? They dont value the same things is as high esteem as in the east-coast, but does that make their music wack? Just beacuse were mainly fans of hardcore 90's east-coast hip-hop with a strong focus on lyrics, does that mean we've a better taste in music than them? They've put their own slant on things, it HAPPENS in music genres.

Take rock for example, then look at metal as a sub-genre of rock. then take say, death metal and grindcore as subgenres of metal. Death metal fans dont be saying "Grindcore is wack, its destroying metal etc" its just a different slant on the genre, and imo thats a good thing, it keeps it healthy.

Hip-hop is MUSIC. Music is ENTERTAINMENT. People try to get too technical with it, but at the end of the day its supposed to be enjoyable and entertaining. I find say, Juveniles "400 Degrees" dope, not in the same way "Lifestylez Ov Da Poor & Dangerous", but still dope. People say hip-hop should make you think, and i like hip-hop that has some deeper lyrical substance than gats, hoes, cash & rims, but occasionally i just wanna bump some meaningless dope shit.

Hip-hop IS stagnent right now, but its not coz of the south, the east and west coast have both fallen off BADLY, the south has moved with the times and their getting their shine coz thats whats big now. If anything its good that its big, coz theirs nothing else really worth mentioning on a commercial level right now, and its just another element to hip-hop as a whole.

Ok i rambled on there, but my point is that southern hip-hop is just another genre of hip-hop, its not claiming to take over the east of any of that shit, so hating on it is pointless.

Rame
02-17-2009, 05:10 AM
I stopped hating on the south years ago.

ViktorVaughn
02-17-2009, 05:32 AM
not really a case of the east and west falling off, the major machine of the industry makes more money off the south, so thats where all the prioritys go, yes its a part of the genre, but that doesn't mean we all have to listen to the south just because their getting the most attention now days. I listen to all parts of hip-hop, even artists who have no lyrical ability whatsoever ( gucci mane,young jeezy etc ) , because I enjoy the tracks, its not a matter of coasts, or regions of hip-hop, its the industry exploiting the artists and milking the genre for all its worth, and the " south " is just another pawn in the game for making money.

if you want more lyrical artists, buy their albums, like Immortal technique said, we have to FORCE a change, if not artists like, whoever, soulja boy, will outsell a new Nas album,which is terrible, and its our fault for this nonsence. You have to go back to see what hip-hop is about, and the roots of hip-hop comes in lyricism, the south is rap mixed with pop music,merged with a certain culture, thats why people say the south is wack, because most of it IS.

SickT
02-17-2009, 06:13 AM
Its time for people to stop caring about east, west, south etc. good music is good music and shitty music is shitty music, no matter where it comes from.

Rame
02-17-2009, 06:17 AM
True.

drippie k
02-17-2009, 07:06 AM
to say rappers in the south rap about simple shit is just fucking stupid and ignorant...lookit bun b's first verse in wood wheel

Pro smoke, pro choke,
Anti-broke, conservative liberal
Left-wing slangin', right-wing hangin'
In criminal court, it's civil.
In the middle of re-al-it-y
Unsolved mys-ter-ies riddle,
Knockin' over fat cats,
And gettin' my thoughts off bits and kibbles.
On note pads I scribble,
Write rippers that'll make you think.
Snap so hard it'll break your synchronicity,
Fuck it, take it, trick,
I fake it...blink 'n poof
We disappearin' into a shroud of dozier
Cloud composures, all-nighters like Folger's
But, bitch, I tried to told ya...
his flow in that song is un-fuck-withable

and i ain't even gotta talk about andre 3000, devin the dude, ludacris, cee-lo, scarface etc..

ALCATRAZ
02-17-2009, 12:26 PM
this thread is about 10 years late LOL

White_Mouse
02-17-2009, 12:30 PM
i agree, i don't care anymore if someone is being exceptionally clever with their words, its all about the final product, and with hip-hop there's much more than just lyrics that go into it, its music like all music it has to communicate a feeling,

Edgar Erebus
02-17-2009, 02:19 PM
this thread is about 3 years late LOL

Something 'round that yes.

DR. NICK RIVIERA
02-17-2009, 02:49 PM
yeah man, definately agree, the south been bangin

ALCATRAZ
02-17-2009, 02:50 PM
Something 'round that yes.
um no dont edit my post if u dont kno what tha fuck ur talkin about

Edgar Erebus
02-17-2009, 02:55 PM
YOU don't know what the fuck you talking about. He was talking to us the people on this board stupid, 10 years ago this fucking board didn't even exist.

TSA
02-17-2009, 03:15 PM
not really a case of the east and west falling off, the major machine of the industry makes more money off the south, so thats where all the prioritys go, yes its a part of the genre, but that doesn't mean we all have to listen to the south just because their getting the most attention now days. I listen to all parts of hip-hop, even artists who have no lyrical ability whatsoever ( gucci mane,young jeezy etc ) , because I enjoy the tracks, its not a matter of coasts, or regions of hip-hop, its the industry exploiting the artists and milking the genre for all its worth, and the " south " is just another pawn in the game for making money.

if you want more lyrical artists, buy their albums, like Immortal technique said, we have to FORCE a change, if not artists like, whoever, soulja boy, will outsell a new Nas album,which is terrible, and its our fault for this nonsence. You have to go back to see what hip-hop is about, and the roots of hip-hop comes in lyricism, the south is rap mixed with pop music,merged with a certain culture, thats why people say the south is wack, because most of it IS.
your full of shit. the east and the west fell off dramatically. Name 1 artist that has come from either region in the past 2 years would listening to....

or 1 at all.

ALCATRAZ
02-17-2009, 03:17 PM
YOU don't know what the fuck you talking about. He was talking to us the people on this board stupid, 10 years ago this fucking board didn't even exist.
wow your mentality is that of a mark

TSA
02-17-2009, 03:17 PM
btw eastcoast rappers rap about the same thing as southern rappers, the only difference is that corny ass snare and eastcoast rappers being softer in real life.

DR. NICK RIVIERA
02-17-2009, 03:32 PM
your full of shit. the east and the west fell off dramatically. Name 1 artist that has come from either region in the past 2 years would listening to....

or 1 at all.

Blu? Wale?

No?

sdeblasi
02-17-2009, 03:56 PM
the south is alright some shit is really good, other shit i hate but lately i dont like it. I just dont feel the beats, yea the bass knocks but every beat sounds the same, theres no good drum patterns, and its just a big wall of synths...i will always like sample based beats better. The only time i realy listen to new southern music is at the club or at a party where girls r tryin to get their grind on

sdeblasi
02-17-2009, 03:58 PM
i rarely really get into new artists cuz its just not that appealing...

think about it likes this: are fans of 70's or 80's rock like Led Zeppelin, the doors, ac/dc, black sabbath checkin for new rock artists like Fall out boy, system of a down, etc...no

so why the fuck should i, a fan of mostly early and mid 90's hip hop check for ew hip hop mostly from the south...just not appealing

DR. NICK RIVIERA
02-17-2009, 04:00 PM
Cunninlynguists and Scarface/Geto Boyz always sounded more like east side groups, Outkast and some other groups that don't make crunk are nice too, ....

South fucking rullz if ur not just a mainstream zombie and u search for quality music.

sdeblasi
02-17-2009, 04:04 PM
^ Yea i love Outkast and def like Scarface but once again there from the 90's and appeal to the genre/era of music i like

also, Will Rap for Food is one of my fav albums from the last 5 years

White_Mouse
02-17-2009, 04:12 PM
i rarely really get into new artists cuz its just not that appealing...

think about it likes this: are fans of 70's or 80's rock like Led Zeppelin, the doors, ac/dc, black sabbath checkin for new rock artists like Fall out boy, system of a down, etc...no

so why the fuck should i, a fan of mostly early and mid 90's hip hop check for ew hip hop mostly from the south...just not appealing

dude random but my dad who grew up with the doors, zeppelin, etc is a System nut, and a few of his friends do too, putting them in the same catagory as "Fall out Boy" is ridiculous lol, but wtv

still i have a love hate relationship with southern music, but when Lil John's "Get Low" joint dropped, EVERYBODY loved it, the beat and hooks were just undeniable, also Chamillionarre is a great emcee, he really puts it down on the lyrical end same with Luda

but souljah boi, there is a fellow that i just do no like at all, he reminds me of the kids in jr. high that tried to rap and got big ass possies around them at the lunch table to repeat whatever nonsence they would call "battling"

sdeblasi
02-17-2009, 04:16 PM
^ Get Low is on of my favorite club songs and Luda's a beast

and lol sorry at puttin SOAD in the same category as fall out boy i was just listin new(er) rock bands...if you can even call fall out boy rock

YungSunny
02-17-2009, 04:53 PM
We wouldn't hate south if there wasn't so many things to hate on.
I mean, catchy hooks are ok with me but when you have the same thing being said in every song then fuck it.

oLd_KaiNry
02-17-2009, 06:54 PM
ppl from overseas cant understand why alot of americans hate the south so much. y'all dont endure all these dumb ass XXXXXXXXXXL wearing kids jumping around and dancing everywhere screaming " i got sum money nigguh yeahhhhhh i got that NIGGUH WHAT !?!?! "

drippie k
02-17-2009, 07:13 PM

or 1 at all.
termanology, bishop lamont

Edgar Erebus
02-18-2009, 03:47 AM
Scarface/Geto Boyz always sounded more like east side groups

Wow, you're really way off with this one. It's true that they're more lyrical and well-thought than most Southern artists (if that's what you thought by them sounding Eastern), but they basically developed Southern drawl and specific Southern production sound - which owes more to G-funk that East Coast boombap anyway.

Otherwise I'm huge fan of Southern music that isn't crunk/snap-based (with exception of No Limit Records, I find them just aight). I have nothing against crunk, though, if it's well done, ie. Three 6 Mafia, some Lil Jon albums...

Edgar Erebus
02-18-2009, 03:49 AM
We wouldn't hate south if there wasn't so many things to hate on.
I mean, catchy hooks are ok with me but when you have the same thing being said in every song then fuck it.

Um... correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't you from the South?

SHRAP
02-18-2009, 04:00 AM
regardless of the five elements hip-hop has always been primarily about expressing oneself, fuck these faggots who hate on southern rappers just for rapping about what they know eat a shit covered dick you hoes

ALCATRAZ
02-18-2009, 04:22 AM
lol @ slim t neg reppin me cuz he a euro fag

Edgar Erebus
02-18-2009, 04:25 AM
Sure, I neg repped you because I'm an eurofag. Not because you're a waste of bandwidth, but because I'm an eurofag. Sure.

(It's quite interesting that someone from Frisco even uses word "fag".)

YungSunny
02-18-2009, 04:32 AM
Um... correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't you from the South?

From California, live in the south.

Edgar Erebus
02-18-2009, 04:33 AM
Oh okay.