PDA

View Full Version : Do you stumble over your own writing while reading it out loud?

IrOnMaN
02-19-2009, 02:51 PM
Today was a life changing experience. At 1:00pm, I had a meeting with my English teacher regarding my paper. Throughout my college years, I'd say that 95% of my college professors told me that I had good writing skills. So, I thought that I did a good job on the paper but, unfortunately, I did not. First, she asked me to read my paper out loud. Now, I will admit that I stumble over my own writing. However, I RARELY stumble over reading a book or another person's writing.

So, when I was reading my paper out loud, I happened to stumble over a few words. I said to myself "Woah! I can't read my own writing. What's going on here?" I included a word that I didn't see in the paper and I said "accomplishment" instead of "accomplishments". At that moment, I felt so embarrassed. I didn't proof read my paper that well so that's probably why I was stumbling over so many words. Finally, my teacher and I discussed my paper and what I should do so I can make some final touches before I turn the final draft in.

The whole experience was crazy in so many ways. I thought that I was a good writer prior to the meeting I had with my English teacher today. Plus, I was nervous because I didn't want to embarrass myself while reading my own paper out loud. I left her office feeling like an idiot.

David Gregory is the new moderator of Meet the Press and he stumbles a lot when he's reading. Is he stupid? Not at all.

I made myself look like an idiot in front of a person who has an English degree. My bad.

Prolifical ENG
02-19-2009, 03:00 PM
Aren't you an earth science major? why are you still taking english courses?

IrOnMaN
02-19-2009, 03:07 PM
Aren't you an earth science major? why are you still taking english courses?

Yes. I have finished all of my science courses. I pushed this intermediate English course far back because I didn't want to take it in the beginning. I kept pushing it back year after year and finally, I just registered for it. Do I like it? No, it's boring. Am I having trouble? Not really. This is the first time in a long time that I was told that my paper sucked. I do good on the journals, though.

I'm just taking it day by day.}:|

-The A to the Z-
02-19-2009, 03:07 PM
I'm terrible reading anything out loud, I'm all erratic, like one of them crazy ass old-school modern poet folk with their berets and beards and glasses.

Uncle Steezo
02-19-2009, 03:41 PM
i'm a good writer but i speak better. my hands have trouble keeping up with my mind.

i end up compromising and the written word loses the impact of the original idea.

IrOnMaN
02-19-2009, 03:49 PM
i'm a good writer but i speak better. my hands have trouble keeping up with my mind.

i end up compromising and the written word loses the impact of the original idea.

Makes sense.

RIINě
02-19-2009, 04:02 PM
damn ironman

that shit was on some msrza shit

i thought black people always had that pimp confidence in em

i bet u blushedhttp://www.wutang-corp.com/forum/images/icons/icon8.gif

Killa BB
02-19-2009, 04:32 PM
I love reading out loud... I think I sound like a commercial voice over or something... it's just so pleasant sounding... And I speak mad proper English too... like white people... or TSA... and NO... I never stumble over MY OWN words...