PDA

View Full Version : Reks dropped a true gem last year

Durag
02-20-2009, 06:40 AM
Its nowhere near a classic or anything, and is overlong by 3 or 4 tracks, but damn, this album is banging. If those 4 tracks had been omitted imo it would have easily been one of the best albums from the last few years. Production is top notch (bar 4 tracks) throughout, and Reks rips all the beats to shreads. Everyone knows "Say Goodnight" which is amazing both beatwise and lyrically, but imo this is the true gem on the album:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/S77ktp5KcJ4&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/S77ktp5KcJ4&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Reks isnt just dope lyrically, he has a great command and presence on the mic, which is rare in underground emcee's. And with such dope tracks as the two i mentioned, "The One", "Stages", "Black Cream", "Premonition", "Cry Baby", "Pray For Me" etc, this album is a fuckin banger.

My reason for starting this thread was coz i didnt see this on any best of '08 lists. Shame it got slept on really.

Edgar Erebus
02-20-2009, 06:48 AM
I tried, honest, but I couldn't force myself to like it.

And, IMHO, "Say Goodnight" is among worse Premo beats of 2008.

Durag
02-20-2009, 07:02 AM
Damn, i loved "Say Goodnight". At first i thought it was terrible too, but it grew on me. I love the whole album, and ive played it to a lot of friends, and they all loved it too.

DR. NICK RIVIERA
02-20-2009, 10:07 AM
LoL, not Slim again.

If what, Say Goodnight was finally a Primo beat that was something different. Something Primo, but not like 100 other songs he made in the last 5 years.

Durag
02-20-2009, 10:10 AM
Yeah, like i said, it took me a while to get into that beat, but once i did, BAMM! Premo is evolving his sound after 20 years in the game and is STILL ahead of most of the competition. Thats true greatness.

DR. NICK RIVIERA
02-20-2009, 10:14 AM
Aye.

I like the Reks album, but it's not the beats, or the lyrics, that are really bothering me, it's the dullness of it all. He wasn't going to make something really fresh or anything, it's a pretty standard hiphop release and that caused the boring factor to grow [for me].

I would compare Reks to Elzhi, but Elzhi at least had some nice variety, the only special song on Reks' album was 5 Mics or something like that..

Edgar Erebus
02-20-2009, 10:41 AM
LoL, not Slim again.

If what, Say Goodnight was finally a Primo beat that was something different. Something Primo, but not like 100 other songs he made in the last 5 years.

Ionno bwoy. I only know that I'll always say that "That White" and "MVP" take a shit on "Say Goodnight".

DR. NICK RIVIERA
02-20-2009, 11:20 AM
bah, the whole Ludacris album was really overrated, mostly the beats.

I was deeply disappointed.

tha realness
02-20-2009, 11:37 AM
I honestly think Grey Hairs was my favorite release in the past few years. Its that good.

JamSix
02-20-2009, 12:16 PM
Grey Hairs was weak, zero replay value. Durag, I think your givin it a bit too much credit, I see what your sayin with it bein 4 songs long but Id say Its atleast 6 lol.

Say Goodnight is an amazing beat however, the bonus track is pretty tight too the one where he takes a jab at Lupe

graffitiwhat
02-20-2009, 03:02 PM
its a solid album, but there is something about statik selektah's beats that are too polished i dunno, i dig his production but like i said they feel too crisp, dont know how to really explain it. peace

BIG D O
02-20-2009, 03:23 PM
it wasn't too long and it was a classic.....

fuck you talkin bout....

RAW-TASTE
02-20-2009, 05:40 PM

fuck you talkin bout....

actually it was too long, it has some unnecessary fillers that it can do with, but the album was definitely solid.

DR. NICK RIVIERA
02-21-2009, 01:32 AM

fuck you talkin bout....

great arguments, bozo

shystar36
02-21-2009, 11:17 PM
this album and elzhis were my top pick for last year.. i might have to reconsider that but i know they got the most play