PDA

View Full Version : Ask an Old-Timer

Uncle Steezo
02-25-2009, 01:20 PM
Ask elderly cats, who can remember when there was no such thing as rap music, for opinions on hiphop.
what do you think of this MC? old/new.
what was is was REALLY like in 19xx?
what did cardboard feel like on parachute pants?
did mtv really have a authentic hip hop show?
Whats a cassette?
why is biting lyrics the worst thing you can do?

ask anything hip hop related and get a old persons perspective.

other Old Niggas and Crackers (was at least in 6th grade when Wu dropped 36) feel free to field questions.

"sheeeeeit i remember when doing commerials meant you sold out"
http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/portrait_of_black_chicago/images/a_black_man.jpg

INF
02-25-2009, 01:22 PM
I'm here to help.

I'll just be over here digging thru this box of tapes, drinkin five alive.

NAKHI the SOLORIAN
02-25-2009, 01:26 PM
lol....5 alive...

how about pop rocks and pepsi?....remember that scare?

anyhoo yeah I can chime in since I am a Older God.

ALCATRAZ
02-25-2009, 01:29 PM
am i out of pocket for placing 2pac above all emcees?

Uncle Steezo
02-25-2009, 01:30 PM
heeeeeey!
*turns up boombox*

this was the jam
*dances like bill cosby*
svGt7XeBwkw

INF
02-25-2009, 01:31 PM

ALCATRAZ
02-25-2009, 01:31 PM
oh shit nigga casual thats my nigga cousin

INF
02-25-2009, 01:32 PM

yes.

KRS comes first ... maybe even Rakim ...

ALCATRAZ
02-25-2009, 01:33 PM
yes.

KRS comes first ... maybe even Rakim ...
why

INF
02-25-2009, 01:34 PM
3nLknje5E9E

ALCATRAZ
02-25-2009, 01:34 PM
i mean, am i out of pocket for placing jimi hendrix above robert johnson?

INF
02-25-2009, 01:37 PM
i mean, am i out of pocket for placing jimi hendrix above robert johnson?

good god yes. you wrong for that. Jimi woulda never got to where he did if Robert Johnson wouldnt have done what he did. Muddy waters mighta not been where he was if it wasnt for the blueprint that Robert johnson found.

its all opinion though cuz Jimi freaked the blues by going hard on the electric tip.

ALCATRAZ
02-25-2009, 01:40 PM
yea but where do you draw the line.... the first nigga to pluck a guitar string? the person who invented the guitar?

Uncle Steezo
02-25-2009, 01:41 PM

hell no youngblood. you on point.

what cats fail to understand is that pac was multidimensional. he was an artist in the purest sense of the word.

Pac had the ability to not only illustrate crystal clear imagery but also had the rare ability to make each and every person feel like a song was a one on one conversation with you and him.

most rappers today is just talkin shit to themselves like a wino on the street. mcs have lost the ability to communicate.

pac talked about real shit. meaning he showed the whole picture. if he said he shot a nigga, he also said that he was haunted by that same niggas face at night. if he said he sold dope, he also said the police kicked in his mammas door or that niggas was trying to rob him so his nerves is fucked up paranoid.

not until towards the end of his life did he glorify violence. but he was under demonic influencves at that. time

so yeah youngblood say pac is the greastest with yo head held up high.

ALCATRAZ
02-25-2009, 01:46 PM
edfsC6WrdlI

god

Uncle Steezo
02-25-2009, 01:49 PM
without discreditng robert johnson or jimi, i would place Prince above both of them for the same reason i place pac on top.

the level of artistry and the body of work is just that much more advanced.

as much as i hate to say it. Kobe is better than Jordan.
when you hold their stats up side to side.

NAKHI the SOLORIAN
02-25-2009, 01:57 PM
hell no youngblood. you on point.

no he is not on point
Pac had the ability to not only illustrate crystal clear imagery but also had the rare ability to make each and every person feel like a song was a one on one conversation with you and him.

actually the same could be said for Rakim cause that fella can paint pics with words better than anyone period.

pac talked about real shit. meaning he showed the whole picture. if he said he shot a nigga, he also said that he was haunted by that same niggas face at night. if he said he sold dope, he also said the police kicked in his mammas door or that niggas was trying to rob him so his nerves is fucked up paranoid.

that does not make a "nigga" real
not until towards the end of his life did he glorify violence. but he was under demonic influencves at that. time

you are what you make yourself out to be.

Edgar Erebus
02-25-2009, 02:01 PM
without discreditng robert johnson or jimi, i would place Prince above both of them for the same reason i place pac on top.

the level of artistry and the body of work is just that much more advanced.

Nigga SHUT THE FUCK UP.

INF
02-25-2009, 02:03 PM
First and foremost - shit is a a matter of opinion.

Edgar Erebus
02-25-2009, 02:04 PM
Otherwise I'd really appreciate if someone could tell me if Wu was met with universal praise when it came in '93. I mean, their sound was so radically different from anything playing at the moment that I think there must have been a lot of detractors in the beginning.

And if anyone could answer the same question for Public Enemy and Eric B. & Rakim. (I already read somewhere that people had instant love for EPMD 'cause they came old-school, with dope breakbeats, so thanks to whoever wrote that, even if it's dat nigga Style). Thanks in advance.

Uncle Steezo
02-25-2009, 02:20 PM
have a seat young yung serbian cracker....lemme tellk you a story

wutang was loved from the day it dropped. they were grimey but that wasn't what was unique.

1st-they were a huge group that had "equally skilled" mcs all spitting on tracks together. b4 wu it would had to be some type of special event to have 5-9 mcs on a track. the syphony had 4 dope mcs and that was epic.

2nd the kung fu angle was dope. kung fu has always been a part of hip hoip indiredcly. everybody watched it on weekends. in chicago it was "samurai sundays."
fu-schnikens was a parody of kung fu, the wu actually applied the philosophy of kung fu.

3rd the shit was flat out dope. ain't nobody hate on the wu when 36 dropped. ain't nobody ever beef with the wu. i think soulja boy was the 1st to come out and diss the wu.

ps. Fuck You Cracker.

NAKHI the SOLORIAN
02-25-2009, 02:24 PM
Otherwise I'd really appreciate if someone could tell me if Wu was met with universal praise when it came in '93. I mean, their sound was so radically different from anything playing at the moment that I think there must have been a lot of detractors in the beginning.

well from what I can remember cats was like "who the hell are all these dudes on one song!!!!!!"

"they are never gonna make it"

blah blah blah....but we all know that is false....I think they started to gain steam after the release of M.E.T.H.O.D. Man and the video....

even though they was burning the underground up with "Protect Ya Neck"

the masses did not accept them til the single M.E.T.H.O.D. Man

And if anyone could answer the same question for Public Enemy and Eric B. & Rakim. (I already read somewhere that people had instant love for EPMD 'cause they came old-school, with dope breakbeats, so thanks to whoever wrote that, even if it's dat nigga Style). Thanks in advance.

P.E. was groundbreaking when they dropped and the song "Rebel Without A Pause" blasted for a whole summer into the winter of that year and "It Takes A Millions...." was an instant classic...at that time people were into afrocentrincity and finding out what bieng black in amerikka meant they taught alot thru music if you were willing to listen

Rakim was at one time thought of as too complex but well respected especially in the 5% community....Harry Allen has coomented as sayin.."There is Hip Hop before Rakim and Hip Hop aftre Rakim" meaning he changed the way we looked at the way cats rhymed

Uncle Steezo
02-25-2009, 02:26 PM
no he is not on point
actually the same could be said for Rakim cause that fella can paint pics with words better than anyone period.
all due respect to the God Rakim but rakim couldn't act. he was not multidimensional tho his dimension was deep and broad.
he also released only a fraction of the material pac did.
that does not make a "nigga" real
i didn't say it did. i said he talked about reality. reality being a balanced picture of whats going on around you. the good the bad and the ugly.
thats not true. otherwise you'd have to say that todays's mc's are as real as our eras
opinions

Uncle Steezo
02-25-2009, 02:32 PM
tru indeed on the mef man drop.

for some reason when i 1st heard that "hey hey hey like faaaat albert , its the method man ain't no if ands about it"
had me hook line and sinker.

cats with the plo scarves on they face and machetes . the imagery was raw.

INF
02-25-2009, 02:34 PM
pro-line spray in your eye raw.

NAKHI the SOLORIAN
02-25-2009, 02:36 PM
thats not true. otherwise you'd have to say that todays's mc's are as real as our eras

fair enough.....

I guess what I meant to say was that Pac tried to go agaist everybody and that is what got him murked IMO

Uncle Steezo
02-25-2009, 02:37 PM
IEOC9El3q70

Uncle Steezo
02-25-2009, 02:40 PM
fair enough.....

I guess what I meant to say was that Pac tried to go agaist everybody and that is what got him murked IMO

"It's Just Me against the World Bay-bay"

heh

NAKHI the SOLORIAN
02-25-2009, 02:41 PM
lol

oh and by the way that sig is hilarious........

Olive Oil Goombah
02-25-2009, 02:47 PM

Your fucking crazy for saying this.....and wrong.

Edgar Erebus
02-25-2009, 02:48 PM
@ Style:

Nigga shut the fuck up.

@ Nakhi:

Thanks, props. Since when you into rap?

LORD NOSE
02-25-2009, 03:21 PM

depends on who you ask man - first Wu song i heard was protect ya neck (if that shyheim joint at DV8s wasn't wu back then)

but we was already studying GZA - so it wasn't a surprise - it was just like "He's BACK" - the video came on first on video music box, hosted by Ralf McDaniels - it was gritty,lryics was sick - but it wasn't until method dropped hard on rotation that people started knowing but then - they put out can it be and i thought i twas over for them - then ODB dropped and thats what really blew WU up
then we knew what was up

Rakim instant
PE not so instant

Rakim is normal but enhanced - he paints pictures
PE throws buckets of paint on you

its diffent

Eric B for President was an instant hit because it was already familiar to the community

and before that "check out my melody"
it was what we were used to hearing, but it was enhanced
he raised the conscious level of the community - you couldn't just rhyme...after him - serious

But PE came out with my uzi weighs a ton that had a catchy hook but seemed to be missing something - that first album yo bum rush the show didn't catch on until rebel without a pause came out then they really had people asking "what the %$# is that" - we heard james browns funky drummer with sirens and stuff - had to pay attention

but if studied right now, they got be on top 5

we had instant love for EPMD, but those about 10 years older than us didn't -
they were used to hearing caz and mo dee, seeing routines and harmonizing that allot of then didn't catch on to EPMD later

Edgar Erebus
02-25-2009, 03:24 PM
Thanks, Sunny.

Memory Man
02-25-2009, 04:13 PM
But PE came out with my uzi weighs a ton that had a catchy hook but seemed to be missing something - that first album yo bum rush the show didn't catch on until rebel without a pause came out then they really had people asking "what the %$# is that" - we heard james browns funky drummer with sirens and stuff - had to pay attention

i forget where i read it (the rakim told me book?) but chuck d said he knew pe's original sound was outdated when he heard rakim's i know you got soul, which inspired him to do rebel without a pause.

LORD NOSE
02-25-2009, 04:28 PM
i forget where i read it (the rakim told me book?) but chuck d said he knew pe's original sound was outdated when he heard rakim's i know you got soul, which inspired him to do rebel without a pause.

what was playing right before Rakim ?

Heavy D -
Slick Rick Doug
but a minute after Rakim, BDP,shut everything down

Edgar Erebus
02-25-2009, 04:30 PM
I don't know about Heavy D, I always thought he was pretty large (in both senses) even after Rakim flipped the script.

NAKHI the SOLORIAN
02-25-2009, 08:07 PM
@ Nakhi:

Thanks, props. Since when you into rap?

this is a joke right?

The Hound
02-25-2009, 08:16 PM
i have a question for nakhi & sunny & 'finiti ( or any of the older gods except style, because he will be immature and say dumb shit)

what was the buzz and your own opinion when the following albums dropped:

O.C - World Life
Grand Daddy I.U - Lead Pipe
Diamond & the Psychotic Nuerotics - Stunts, Blunts & Hip Hop

what was your opinion of rap/rock crossovers?

what was your opinion of white people starting to rap?

How do you feel about white fans today?

How did you feel when G funk came out?

NAKHI the SOLORIAN
02-25-2009, 09:13 PM
i have a question for nakhi & sunny & 'finiti ( or any of the older gods except style, because he will be immature and say dumb shit)

O.C - World Life

well I had heard "Time's Up" a while before the LP dropped and I just thought it was amazing O.C. was riding the success of his guest spot on Fudge Pudge and hearing "Time's Up" just cemented me liking him as an artist. "Word Life" is a classic IMO cause it was cohesive from beginning to end

Grand Daddy I.U - Lead Pipe never liked this LP so my opinion is biased

man this LP was exceptional still is to this day I used to bump this and Beatnuts first LP back to back all the time....I feel that Stunts...was just a straight up great Hip Hop LP

they were allright depends on who is doing them....M.O.P. is the Kings of this genre even if they really do not collab with any "Rock" Bands

3rd Bass and the Beasties will always be my faves....but back when they were rhymin it really was no hate towrds them cause they were dope. Vanilla Ice releasing a LP is when people started to notice color

well.......as long as they respect the art I am cool with it

The Chronic is a good LP but I am not a fan of the genre in itself

Butter
02-25-2009, 10:56 PM
3rd bass.

The Hound
02-25-2009, 11:00 PM
peace nakhi

TSA
02-25-2009, 11:01 PM
stylemaster is just gonna use this thread to say 'against the grain' stuff for the sake of it, and i have a hard time reading his posts though finity and the other guy have been interesting.

Uncle Steezo
02-26-2009, 06:28 AM
same 3 people can't stop sayin my name
THE STYLISTICS
serbian T
diddy kong
koala kid

the solarian, tha god and i are Divine and come from the same era so as long as yall get the knowledge, (the purpose)i could care less.

derek i taught you better than to beef in HHS.
see me after class.

Durag
02-26-2009, 07:42 AM

Lol at this faggot with Pac's dick in his mouth in EVERY FUCKIN THREAD.

Dope thread though, although can we keep the Pac shit to a minimum. Spunkonitdawg can create a thread for suckin his dick.

Back in the 80's was there a big buzz whenever something new came out? Hip-hop made huge transactions in the late 70's and 80's, from the first phase with Sugar-hill's house bands doing most of the major beats, to the drum machine phase, to the sampladelic age into political, gangsta etc.

Say when GM&FF came out with "The Message" (if anyone is old enough to remember), or when Run DMC dropped "Sucker MC's", was everyone like SHIIIIIIIT, "this is gonna change the game", and would there be a huge buzz in hip-hop circles about the track? Or when Eric B & Rakim released "Eric B Is President", or Doug E. Fresh & Ricky D released "The Show / La Di La Da"? or when BDP, Whodini, PE etc dropped? Or the moment gangsta rap took over?

Im just curious, coz there seemed to be a great uninamity back then, probably coz the genre was so new, and everyone was getting hyped over shit, and when a new single dropped everyone was rushing to the shop to pick it up, and kids would be talking about it in school etc, am i wrong? Dunno where i picked this shit up, must have seen it on tv or something.

NAKHI the SOLORIAN
02-26-2009, 07:51 AM
Say when GM&FF came out with "The Message" (if anyone is old enough to remember), or when Run DMC dropped "Sucker MC's", was everyone like SHIIIIIIIT, "this is gonna change the game", and would there be a huge buzz in hip-hop circles about the track? Or when Eric B & Rakim released "Eric B Is President", or Doug E. Fresh & Ricky D released "The Show / La Di La Da"? or when BDP, Whodini, PE etc dropped? Or the moment gangsta rap took over?

Im just curious, coz there seemed to be a great uninamity back then, probably coz the genre was so new, and everyone was getting hyped over shit, and when a new single dropped everyone was rushing to the shop to pick it up, and kids would be talking about it in school etc, am i wrong? Dunno where i picked this shit up, must have seen it on tv or something.

this is basically what was happening....Hip Hop was our music, our voice....our parents hated it, thought it would never last. Now we all know that is not true, but back then there was so much originality it was hard not to be geeked when Whodini, BDP, Eric and Ra, EPMD, and others would drop....this lasted up until like 92-93....nowadays evrything kinda sounds the same with a few exceptions......

such a shame though cause it would be real nice if Hip Hop actually respected it elders.....i.e. Jim Jones doing a track with Kool G Rap, or Jay Z doin a joint with Granmaster Caz....etc that would be monumental

Durag
02-26-2009, 08:00 AM
Yea, Jay-Z and Grandmaster Caz would be dope, im definitly picking up that Gandmaster Flash album when it drops.

There seemed to be a much more togetherness as well during the 80's. It wasnt just a music genre, it was like a fuckin MOVEMENT. With every new single and dope release, it was like another add on to the complete take-over of hip-hop. And even as it got more popular into the late 80's, there still seemed to be a lot of respect. Like someone one minute could listen to NWA, to PE, to Stezo, to BDP, to Kwame to Heavy D & The Boys etc, and it would be natural.

NAKHI the SOLORIAN
02-26-2009, 08:01 AM
yeah I think those days are long gone though.....to much hate in the industry....except for down south they stay pretty tight.......

Memory Man
02-26-2009, 10:52 AM
the best were those package tours where they'd have groups like ultramagnetic, stetsasonic, jazzy jeff & fresh prince, ll cool j & kool g rap all on the same bill.

Edgar Erebus
02-26-2009, 12:14 PM
Yo, I have another question. I read somewhere that, I think, Chuck D said that there wasn't no difference between being fan of pop rap and hardcore hip hop, and that being a fan of, ie. NWA and MC Hammer was a common thing.

I'd like to see a rap fan's view on that, 'cause it's kinda impossible to imagine for me, being raised up in backpack/mainstream beef era.

NAKHI the SOLORIAN
02-26-2009, 01:12 PM
well for me there was a difference....I never liked the glitz and glam of pop rap....I like substance...i.e. good wordplay hard beats etc....

but then again it is still all relative cause if a persons vocabulary is not extensive then they would not understand a MC like Ras Kas or Pharohe Monche

Edgar Erebus
02-26-2009, 01:15 PM
Hm, yeah, I actually thought if, like, listening to MC Hammer didn't undermine your credit as a hip-hop fan among those who listened to NWA or BDP, nahmean?

(And I was serious with that question before, I'm just interested for how long do you listen to hip-hop. I had this feeling you were down since seventies or something.)

NAKHI the SOLORIAN
02-26-2009, 01:45 PM
well put it this way I can remember listening to Hip Hop when The Treacherous 3, Crash Crew, Fantastic 5, Cold Crush Bros, Mercedes Ladies, Funky 4+1, Spoonie G, and all the breakbeats that came along with that era......so yeah I been down since the 78-79....

NAKHI the SOLORIAN
02-26-2009, 01:48 PM
Hm, yeah, I actually thought if, like, listening to MC Hammer didn't undermine your credit as a hip-hop fan among those who listened to NWA or BDP, nahmean?

well me personally I gotta admit I did like the one Hammer song....where he sampled West Street Mob's "Breakdance, Electric Boogie" but again that was mainly cause of the breakbeat....other than that it was strictly East Coast Hip Hop for me with a little West Coast in there and I believe the only reason was cause I was In Cali around 89-92, I always stayed close to my New York roots

Edgar Erebus
02-26-2009, 01:49 PM
Great, thanks.

Um... so could you say if I'm stretching it if I say Kurtis Blow fell off hard between Christmas Rappin' and The Breaks?

LORD NOSE
02-27-2009, 02:03 PM

O.C - World Life
Grand Daddy I.U - Lead Pipe

Being that i was an artist when these dropped,they were no big deal to me or those around me -

O.C. was always good - he got light play - wasn't really no serious buzz
Grand Daddy I.U. - why'd you mention him ? - there were allot of rakim clones, and PE clones back then -
Diamond D was always nice with beats - but the shit we was doing made us not impressed by allot of the stuff that was coming out when OC and Diamond Dropped

some of them were good

when the beasties came out, they got accepted among my age group - older heads looked at it as corny - Search was nice

back in the mid 80's i used to beat box for this white kid named bo - we was in germany - rundmc flooded Hip Hop with white fans

like Nakhi said - the chronic was good - but it just got started getting too silly after that

LORD NOSE
02-27-2009, 02:18 PM
Back in the 80's was there a big buzz whenever something new came out?

before we were played on the radio, we heard new stuff either from someone with a box blasting it in the front,or at the jams in the park
when it did get played on the radio, red and them would spin new joints about 5 to 7 times - on magics show there was the world premier intro playing before something new dropped - hearing new stuff wasn't as frequent as it is now, so to get new stuff was always a prize

Hip-hop made huge transactions in the late 70's and 80's, from the first phase with Sugar-hill's house bands doing most of the major beats, to the drum machine phase, to the sampladelic age into political, gangsta etc.

Say when GM&FF came out with "The Message" (if anyone is old enough to remember), or when Run DMC dropped "Sucker MC's", was everyone like SHIIIIIIIT, "this is gonna change the game", and would there be a huge buzz in hip-hop circles about the track?

the message was playing in the streets everywhere we went - and everyone knew that it would change things up - sucker Mcs took it back to the park feeling and sound were as the older mcs were trying to cross over and do the punk,pop,rock and rap thing - RunDmc took it back to 2 turntables rocking break beats and a mic

Or when Eric B & Rakim released "Eric B Is President", or Doug E. Fresh & Ricky D released "The Show / La Di La Da"? or when BDP, Whodini, PE etc dropped? Or the moment gangsta rap took over?

those are all big songs

you're right -

LORD NOSE
02-27-2009, 02:22 PM
Great, thanks.

Um... so could you say if I'm stretching it if I say Kurtis Blow fell off hard between Christmas Rappin' and The Breaks?

nah - because after the breaks, AJ,Basketball,and If i ruled the world came out

Durag
03-02-2009, 08:24 AM
Bump.

This is a fuckin dope thread.

Sunny, Nakhi, GAVIN what were your opinions on the fun, innocent syle of some hop-hop from the late 80's? A lot of shit from say '89 seemed to be in the DJ Jazzy Jeef & The Fresh Prince vein, like Kwame, Stezo, Whistle, Audio Two etc what was peoples onpinions on this?

Also did JVC Force's "Top Billin'" seriously thump when it first came out?

NAKHI the SOLORIAN
03-02-2009, 09:23 AM
Bump.

yeah I am glad this was started....I am enjoying this thread alot, one of the better threads on this site

Sunny, Nakhi, GAVIN what were your opinions on the fun, innocent syle of some hop-hop from the late 80's? A lot of shit from say '89 seemed to be in the DJ Jazzy Jeef & The Fresh Prince vein, like Kwame, Stezo, Whistle, Audio Two etc what was peoples onpinions on this?

well since I am from Philly and New York I was cool with Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince cause it brought another side of the culture plus Jeff is a wizard on the turntables....which always amazes me, Kwame was dope the whole polka dot thing was different and I like originality in Hip Hop....Whistle was respected as well as Stezo and Audio Two

I think you mean Audio Two's Top Billin and yes that shit knocked

Durag
03-02-2009, 09:41 AM
Actually i ment JVC Force's "Strong Island", got the titles mixed up coz of the lines "part time thriller, permanent chiller" rhymes with biller.

I love "Top Billin", but "Strong Island" is one of my favourite tracks from the '80's.

Another question, you know on the very early hip-hop albums, like Kurtis Blow's debut, there was at least 2 tracks with full blown singing on them, without any rapping at all. It sounds strange to me listenening back to it, but were those tracks thaught of as been dope at the time, or did everyone just wanna hear more rapping?

NAKHI the SOLORIAN
03-11-2009, 09:45 AM
what....no more questions?

The Hound
03-11-2009, 12:50 PM
I'll re-interpret my rock question.

At the time, what was your opinion on the begining of the rap/rock crossovers, such as Licensed to Ill and the Run-DMC/Aerosmith collab? Were you against them or did you come to embrace them? A lot of hip hop fans seemed to shun them at first (atleast that's the impression I get.)

LORD NOSE
03-11-2009, 01:12 PM
Bump.

Jeff and Prince was good - their first joint was a ride off of slick ricks stuff
kwame had that one joint - but it faded quickly
stezo had that one joint - classic sample out of it
whistle had that one and half joints - they was good - i think they was down with utfo and full force
audio two - lol - when they first came out we was like "you hear that wack ass song they keep playing ?"
because
he had a whiny voice
the words were simple as hell in a simple style
and the impeach the prez sample they used was going all untraditionally
but they played that S^%$# all dam day long on the radio and made people like it - i see it as a classic today though

JVC had a couple of light underground songs that stood out - they rode off of epmd -
they came and went though

LORD NOSE
03-11-2009, 01:14 PM
Another question, you know on the very early hip-hop albums, like Kurtis Blow's debut, there was at least 2 tracks with full blown singing on them, without any rapping at all. It sounds strange to me listenening back to it, but were those tracks thaught of as been dope at the time, or did everyone just wanna hear more rapping?

he was considered a star cause he was getting played on day time radio - that was a good thing back then - it was over all accepted

some one pm troy l this thread

LORD NOSE
03-11-2009, 01:16 PM
I'll re-interpret my rock question.

At the time, what was your opinion on the begining of the rap/rock crossovers, such as Licensed to Ill and the Run-DMC/Aerosmith collab? Were you against them or did you come to embrace them? A lot of hip hop fans seemed to shun them at first (atleast that's the impression I get.)

the younger ones like me back then accepted it -

DR. NICK RIVIERA
03-11-2009, 02:45 PM
well for me there was a difference....I never liked the glitz and glam of pop rap....I like substance...i.e. good wordplay hard beats etc....

but then again it is still all relative cause if a persons vocabulary is not extensive then they would not understand a MC like Ras Kas or Pharohe Monche

^^^^^Word.

How big was Slick Rick in the '80 actually? Was he like the Jay-Z of that Era? Or how was it?

NAKHI the SOLORIAN
03-11-2009, 03:35 PM
^^^^^Word.

How big was Slick Rick in the '80 actually? Was he like the Jay-Z of that Era? Or how was it?

honestly to me there was not one artist that was like Jigga cept for Daryll And Joe(Run-DMC) because it was still a new art form...Slick Rick was very respected when he dropped though he was always revered for his ill storytelling.........

DR. NICK RIVIERA
03-11-2009, 03:41 PM
in the eighties you could only buy tapes and vinyls, right? [<-that wasn't the question, haha] which tape or vinyl have you bought more than once....? what was constantly rotating...? =)

The Hound
03-11-2009, 03:44 PM
Speaking of tapes, do you remember the illest mixtape you ever made?

Which one album dropped that had you utterly speechless? Jaw to the floor type shit.

crds
03-11-2009, 08:20 PM
in the eighties you could only buy tapes and vinyls, right? [<-that wasn't the question, haha] which tape or vinyl have you bought more than once....? what was constantly rotating...? =)

Ha Ha CD's were around in the 80's Wera, Run DMC's self titled album was the first rap album on CD, I have had 2 copies (1 copy stolen) on CD, 1 tape (stolen) and 1 copy on vinyl (stolen) of Ultramagnetic MC's-Critical Beatdown, in the 90's I had the same problem with Pete Rock & CL Smooth's, Mecca and The Soul Brother album.

NAKHI the SOLORIAN
03-12-2009, 03:53 AM

Ultramagnetic Emcees-Critical Beatdown(classic shit)

Kid Capri-The Tape(for some reason people really was into this joint...I mean I liked it alot but I am a Hip Hop head)

Chubb Rock-Treat Em Right EP

P.E.-It Takes A Nation Of Millions

NAKHI the SOLORIAN
03-12-2009, 03:55 AM
Speaking of tapes, do you remember the illest mixtape you ever made?

yeah...It had a bunch of Stet, Rakim, Dana Dane, Slick Rick And Ultra.......

Which one album dropped that had you utterly speechless? Jaw to the floor type shit.

a few....but I must say that it was Paid In Full.....That LP still has me speechless.......

Durag
03-12-2009, 07:06 AM
Who was your favourite of the old school crews?

Cold Cursh, Cash Crew, funky 4 Plus 1, Fantastic 5, Treacherous Three etc?

Personally i think Cold Crush were the shit, Grandmaster Caz is a true legend.

Speaking of which have any of you heard his "The Grandest Of Them All" album? I seen it for sale somewhere but havent heard any reviews, is it any good?

NAKHI the SOLORIAN
03-12-2009, 10:13 AM
Who was your favourite of the old school crews?

Cold Cursh, Cash Crew, funky 4 Plus 1, Fantastic 5, Treacherous Three etc?

sorry I cannot pick from these cause I loved them all for different reasons...

Speaking of which have any of you heard his "The Grandest Of Them All" album? I seen it for sale somewhere but havent heard any reviews, is it any good?

I think I have it but I have not listened to it yet.....will let ya know in a few hours

ALCATRAZ
03-12-2009, 01:47 PM
^^^^^Word.

i should really start taking screenshots of ur posts...they are THAT retarded

NAKHI the SOLORIAN
03-12-2009, 01:54 PM
lol...........

ALCATRAZ
03-12-2009, 01:57 PM
im dead serious this kid is ridiculous lol

DR. NICK RIVIERA
03-12-2009, 02:13 PM
i should really start taking screenshots of ur posts...they are THAT retarded

ok genius, what's the problem now? I see only yourself having a problem.

ALCATRAZ
03-12-2009, 02:15 PM
nakhi found it funny why dont u ask him

Edgar Erebus
03-12-2009, 02:25 PM
I have this feeling that Nakhi found your post funny, not Wera's (based on the fact that he answered Wera's question).

I also think that you're crazy.

ALCATRAZ
03-12-2009, 02:27 PM
Of course he found my post funny he probably also found it amusing how people are asking is Slick Rick was as big as Jay-Z... the fuck kind of question is that...sheer dumbness

Edgar Erebus
03-12-2009, 02:32 PM
You are a maniac, pal.

DR. NICK RIVIERA
03-12-2009, 02:49 PM
Big for that time. Fucking christ, don't be such an ass.

Memory Man
03-12-2009, 02:57 PM
Ultramagnetic Emcees-Critical Beatdown(classic shit)

i've bought that album like 5 times in various formats over the years.

NAKHI the SOLORIAN
03-12-2009, 05:26 PM
speakonitgod you must realize that wera is only 19 so in his defense he really did not live the effect that Slick Rick had so therefore his question was valid....I laughed cause speak you be whylin sometimes....in a good, funny, way

War and Peace
03-12-2009, 06:11 PM
my oldest original copies-

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk143/OTBOTB1/100_0120.jpg

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk143/OTBOTB1/100_0125.jpg

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk143/OTBOTB1/100_0126.jpg