PDA

View Full Version : do you consister College Dropout a classic?

Ghost In The 'Lac
02-25-2009, 06:47 PM
basically what im trying to say is do you if you think its a classic, looking back?

Senator C. Palantine
02-25-2009, 06:48 PM
No.

I dont.

I dont even like it anymore.

I understand why people do.

But I dont.

crds
02-25-2009, 07:28 PM
No!!!

Kenny Powers
02-25-2009, 07:33 PM
heck no, i mean i guess the beats are really good but by no means a classic album.

Ghost In The 'Lac
02-25-2009, 07:35 PM
No!!!

off topic for a sec, what music do you actually like crds?

you seem to spend your entire time here posting about how wack everything is lol

iammzac
02-25-2009, 07:35 PM
Did you make this topic because it was on my last fm charts earlier today? It was the first time I played it through all the way in a minute and I liked it a lot.. idk bout classic but it sure is a banger.

NY_Mami
02-25-2009, 07:37 PM
http://i40.tinypic.com/2vwg021.jpg

corky831
02-25-2009, 07:43 PM
i think it is it was a great album......best kanye album and he puts out good music......classic by 2days standards

Ghost In The 'Lac
02-25-2009, 07:57 PM
http://i40.tinypic.com/2vwg021.jpg

LOL!!!!

idk

i keep thinking it might be

in the same way we look back on Large pro produced album as classics now.

im not sure though.

it has some great details, that give it replayability.

something about the sound of it.

Monkdude
02-25-2009, 07:59 PM
i voted no, but i would understand why people would consider it a classic... a good record no doubt but doesnt stand up to the criteria of hip hop classics for me, need lyrics, kanye gets tiring to listen to after a while

RAW-TASTE
02-25-2009, 08:08 PM
no but decent album

Ghost In The 'Lac
02-25-2009, 08:10 PM
kanye isnt perfect, but I feel hes interesting at least.

i mean hes always saying something in a verse, thats witty or something. so i give him a pass.

not all rappers have to be kool g rap on the mic, Kanye reminds me alot of the old school rappers vibe, kinda loose, kinda fun n/h

beautifulrock
02-25-2009, 08:11 PM
I say yes, no filler, I enjoy it a lot.

Ghost In The 'Lac
02-25-2009, 08:13 PM
i also think along with madlib he uses the best samples in the game, easily

G3jP4JDU07E

^spaceship song was always one of my favorites, i related alot to this album, which is more than i can say for alot of hip hop.

Album was fresh imo.

noel411
02-25-2009, 08:31 PM
I originally put 1 or 2 tracks from it on my mp3 player, then later deleted them to free up some space.

That should pretty much answer your question.

Wu-Tang Gambino
02-25-2009, 08:51 PM
It has become very overrated since it has started to be called classic but it is a good album.

2Bladez
02-26-2009, 02:03 AM
i'm not voting, That album is dope but i don't know if it's a classic. By few years i'll tell you =)

SickT
02-26-2009, 02:41 AM
I have to listen to it again.

crds
02-26-2009, 03:52 AM
off topic for a sec, what music do you actually like crds?

you seem to spend your entire time here posting about how wack everything is lol

Actually I don't and the poll question was is Kanye's College Dropout a classic?, I don't think it is,yeah there is some good shit on it and Kanye has made some great beats, but the guy is an annoying ego tripping hipster that thinks he is greater than he actually is, I hated his last album.hated it.

I have seen Kanye live and he bored me stiff.

You asked what I like

EPMD, Cyne, Gang Starr, Pete Rock, JVC Force, Percee P, Madlib, Oh No, Peanut Butter Wolf, Kankick, Atoms Family, Average White Band, INI, A Tribe Called Quest, The Beatnuts, Artifacts, Marley Marl, Biz Markie, Kool G Rap, Cannibal Ox, Big Daddy Kane, Craig G, Masta Ace, Large Professor, Rakim, Special Ed, Chubb Rock, Wu Tang Clan, Knucklehedz, Stezo, Dooley-O, Stetsasonic, De La Soul, The B.U.M.S., Tha Alkaholiks, King T, KMD, Darc Mind, Ultramagnetic MC's, Hard Knocks, NWA, Redman, Das EFX, Cypress Hill, Lord Finesse, Diamond D, Showbiz & AG, Aesop Rock, 3rd Bass, Public Enemy, The Future Sound, Lootpack, Tuff Crew, Hobo Junction, Rough House Survivers, Gruf, Showbiz & A.G., Steady B, Kings of Pressure, Schoolly D, Freestyle Fellowship, Brand Nubian, Jehst, Black Rock & Ron, Trends of Culture, McEnroe, Ed O.G. & Da Bulldogs, Street Poets, Maestro Fresh Wes, Strugglin' Souls, Typical Cats, Scientifik, Screwball, Grand Daddy I.U., Organized Konfusion, Leaders of the New School, Boogie Down Productions Binary Star, Lakim Shabazz, Chill Rob G, The Nonce, Ill Biskits, L.A. Symphony, Funkytown Pros, Lone Catalysts, Blahzay Blahzay, Slick Rick, Edan, Superstar Quam-Allah, Y Society, Kero One, Nujabes, K-Def, Black Moon, Smif-N-Wessun, MC Lyte, Kev Brown, Dres Listener, Phonetic Composition, Mars Ill, Jungle Brothers, Labklik, Cryptic One, Elzhi, Binary Star, Camu Tao, Zhigge, Kirk, Bored Stiff, The Cuf, Super Lover Cee & Casanova Rud, Greyson & Jasun, Above the Law, M.O.P., Original Flavor, Poor Righteous Teachers, YZ, ADOR, Jaylib, Declaime, Black Milk, All Natural, Atmosphere, Maylay Sparks, Monsta Island Czars, MF Doom, Ayentee, J-Zone, Maspyke, Mr Lif, Zhigge, Blockhead, Blueprint, Emanon, El-P, The Nonce, Exile, Blu and on and on

Rame
02-26-2009, 04:07 AM
No. There's some good songs on it but not enough + the skits sucked.

Sarah UK
02-26-2009, 04:12 AM
^ I kinda agree Kanye is pretty boring live. I went to see Glow in the Dark tour here and I enjoyed Kid Cudi and Santigold more than 'Ye himself. I think it's because like, there was no crowd interaction whatsoever. He just seemed a little hollow. He was good, but yeah not great.

College Dropout a classic? Na, not yet anyway. It's a decent album but not a classic to me. Better than 808's & Heartbreak anyway. Don't get me wrong though, I love Kanye and he's a great producer.

drippie k
02-26-2009, 04:51 AM
nowhere near but still a good album, back when he had more sense in him

Uncle Steezo
02-26-2009, 05:48 AM
Hell yes. that album was fresh air in a stale industry.
beats
rhymes
composition
focus
timing

all the elements there=classic

lol@ judging the cd with how kanye acts after winning grammys and sellin millions of records.

some of yall make a post that gets cosigned or repped and think they just shit gold.

i would fear for your life if yalls roles were reversed.

BGS
02-26-2009, 06:45 AM
good album but not a classic

cap
02-26-2009, 08:10 AM
i guess so

claaa7
02-26-2009, 09:34 AM
yes i'd have to say it's a modern hip-hop classic, it definitely reflected the time and state of music it was released in and gained Kanye a lot of respect because it is (no doubt) really good material.. except for "The New Workout Plan" (which is super-wack) it's free of filler and still like 70 minutes long and back then Kanye actually had something to say plus he had the soul in his beats. don't like him these days at all, "Graduation" really pissed me off with the lyrical content but I voted yes in the poll.

Edgar Erebus
02-26-2009, 11:05 AM
Actually, I do, it's among greatest releases from 21st Century. Kanye's lack in technical rapping skills are more than compensated by his then-still-working wit and really clever one-liners, not to even mention by an excellent line-up of guests who didn't even really outshine the main artist, instead adding to already present concept and flow of the album (only Jay falling behind in quality of his verse). And I love Kanye's lack of self-aggrandizement on that album, instead opting to make a fun and credible album that doesn't show his adoration of his own shit smell.

Plus it probably has greatest collection of Kanye's beats: Ghostlaced already mentioned "Spaceship", but my favorite is without doubt "Two Words".

So, yeah, it is a classic, I rank it just a bit under "Hell Hath No Fury" and "Blueprint" and on par with "Miss E".

Suga Duga
02-26-2009, 01:02 PM
yes it is a classic

INF
02-26-2009, 02:36 PM
classic. banger all the way thru. My only vice with the album is I think he shoulda spaced the skits apart cuz two of em play back to back.

The minute I heard through the wire on the radio I knew this was something good and went and copped it when it dropped.I aint played it in a minute though , I been playing 808 or else late registration.

YOU CANT FUCK WITH SPITTING A TRACK WITH YOUR JAW WiRED SHUT>

all haters can walk on by. you aint fuckin with tha talent that went into that record.

Prolifical ENG
02-26-2009, 02:50 PM
I think it is looking back....cant think of anything topping this in 2004.

oldie
02-26-2009, 02:53 PM
haha hell no!!!!

Kanye is just hyped up, ghost-producer who made it out the shadows and everyone jumps on his dick

ok he had a few nice tracks on it but thats about it. and i'll have 2 listen to it again cos i havent listened to it since it got released cos i never owned a copy but it was damn sure no where near a classic at all

Late Reg had a couple of nice tracks on it and Graduation was just straight up wack apart from 'Stronger' which is the only reason i bought the album, which i should sell tbh.

i will never check for kanye ever again

INF
02-26-2009, 03:28 PM
He spit with his fuckin jaw wired shut.....

Sergio
02-26-2009, 09:49 PM
I think it is a classic, great album and sequence... I also think he was much better lyrically in Graduation, which is classic for me as well

cap
02-27-2009, 05:40 AM
I think it is a classic, great album and sequence... I also think he was much better lyrically in Graduation, which is classic for me as well

finally,i love graduation,i dont get all the hate.

Edgar Erebus
02-27-2009, 08:59 AM

COME - ON.

Lyrically better on Graduation, where he struggled to even compose a proper sentence.

Don't even get me started on subject matter.

Twiztid-Wutang
02-27-2009, 05:27 PM
http://tonydye.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2008/07/16/no.gif

Wu-Rapatician.
02-27-2009, 05:59 PM
Jesus Walks is the only song I ever liked from Kanye. But the album as a whole, no.

Wu-Rapatician.
02-27-2009, 06:01 PM
I originally put 1 or 2 tracks from it on my mp3 player, then later deleted them to free up some space.

That should pretty much answer your question.

Lmfao.

Rollo
02-28-2009, 02:19 AM
Nah, good album, but classic is reserved for better cd's imo.

drippie k
02-28-2009, 03:31 AM
anyone notice the thread title?? "consister".....

Longbongcilvaringz
02-28-2009, 03:49 AM
Nah, too many weak tracks and a bunch of ok tracks bring it down.

Not bad though.

Suga Duga
02-28-2009, 05:11 AM
Nah, too many weak tracks and a bunch of ok tracks bring it down.

Not bad though.

a classic album won't lose its status b/c of 2-3 ok/wack tracks. it doesn't change the fact that it influenced the game. and this album definetly did.

this is what wu-corp doesn't understand. you guys think that an album that only features awesome tracks is a classic. that's why you think that every underground clown that believes in the "art of rhyming" and who makes "real hip hop" is capable of dropping a classic.

wrong. a classic album can only have for example 8 awesome tracks, what matters is the influence that particular album has on the game, nothing else. I'm not surprised ppl on here think biggie is overrated.

Edgar Erebus
02-28-2009, 05:36 AM
wrong. a classic album can only have for example 8 awesome tracks, what matters is the influence that particular album has on the game, nothing else.

Suuuuuuuuuuure.

Therefore, "On Top of Our Game" is a certified classic, 'cause it originated the most prevalent and commercially successful hip-hop style in the last few years, rite?

Rollo
02-28-2009, 06:18 AM
influenced the game. and this album definetly did.

this is what wu-corp doesn't understand. you guys think that an album that only features awesome tracks is a classic. that's why you think that every underground clown that believes in the "art of rhyming" and who makes "real hip hop" is capable of dropping a classic.

wrong. a classic album can only have for example 8 awesome tracks, what matters is the influence that particular album has on the game, nothing else. I'm not surprised ppl on here think biggie is overrated.

WTF? A classic isn't necessarily something that holds influence, it's a completely solid record that is ridiculously hard to fuck with.

Forget the "real hiphop" "fake Hiphop" for a moment, I consider NWA's Straight outta Compton a classic. Without the influence they held on the rap world, it would still be a sick fucking record and I would still regard it as classic.
Why? Because it SOUNDS that damn good.

Same thing with Ready To Die, with Liquid Swords, with Illmatic, with all of the records I hold as classic.
Sure, you can bicker about what the culture takes in, that doesn't prove that your way and only your way of interpreting what is classic is true.