View Full Version : Movies that Stephen King ruined with the endings

EAGLE EYE
03-01-2009, 02:53 AM
Im gonna have to say:

Tommyknockers
IT
Dreamcatcher
The Langoliers
There are probably more I could add on to the list, but its always pissed me off that he makes great plot lines then ruins it with a stupid sci-fi monster ending. For example I watched "IT" tonight for the first time in years and forgot how it ends.....

yea...

a giant spider
http://dyn.ifilm.com/resize/image/stills/films/resize/istd/3068059.jpg

http://www.allmoviezone.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/05/stephen-king.jpg
eloehls!

Huggasaurus Sex
03-01-2009, 03:50 AM
i think m night shamalamadingdong should rewrite all of stephen king's crappy endings for him, and instead of the evil things turning out to be fantasy monsters it would turn out to be a figment of their imagination or have some other kind of unexpected ironic real world explanation.

get stephen and mr. shamamalalmamalalalmmmmananana on the phone. we have a blockbuster to make.

EAGLE EYE
03-01-2009, 04:23 AM
Those shitty computer animated meatballs that ate up the airport in Langoliers was one of the dumbest things I've ever seen.

Tremors was a cooler movie.

beautifulrock
03-01-2009, 04:31 AM
Wow, you are in my head. But you forgot about

The Stand - The hand of god kills the evil people. Literally. I didn't just make that up.
Maximum Overdrive - stuff just stops killing people, and a ludicrous explanation is given. Something about a comet.
Graveyard Shift - It was a giant rat. The end.

But he does have some hits too.

Shawshank Redemption
The Green Mile
Carrie
Stand By Me

Can't say those don't have kick ass endings.

beautifulrock
03-01-2009, 04:35 AM
The absolute worst is when he tries to cram religion in his story lines. The first 500 pages of the Stand are incredible, then it becomes a religious war. Why?

Uncle Steezo
03-01-2009, 04:40 AM
i forgot about the IT spider. damn.. i had set up a mental block from scene shittiness.
i remember overdrive. and that was supposed to be "king done right"
dream catcher wasnt so bad to me. since aliens were established early in the story.

misery had a good ending
how did cujo end? ruined pumas? i forget

cosign fermi handshaka

either Mnight or george lucas to make the monster look better than a poweranger episode/

claaa7
03-01-2009, 05:46 AM
King's books are in 90% of the cases alot better and good until the end.. "Dream Catcher" works really well when reading the original book but the movie was really wack from the last half of it.

beautifulrock
03-01-2009, 05:52 AM
King's books are in 90% of the cases alot better and good until the end.. "Dream Catcher" works really well when reading the original book but the movie was really wack from the last half of it.

The Stand and It endings are just as disappointing if not more so considering those novels are like 2000 pages long.

claaa7
03-01-2009, 06:10 AM
^^ i didn't say that this is the case for every book he wrote but to bash King for the movies is a little harsh imo..

beautifulrock
03-01-2009, 07:12 AM
I don't think so. King movies usually follow the stories pretty closely, there are only a few loose adaptations. The simple fact of the matter is, he is pretty hit and miss with his endings.

claaa7
03-01-2009, 07:41 AM
^^ I am reading "The Dark Towers" series by him right now, it's 7 books long and most of them are between 400-800 pages and i'm on the 5:th.. he better not fuck up that ending lol.

Afficial_Nastee
03-01-2009, 08:02 AM
WORD UP on this thread, I felt exact the same way when I was watching IT and The Dreamcatcher....

The Shining (both '80 and '97 version) was an awesome movie though , the '80 version bein' the best....

I've watched Misery a month ago after I've read the book and it was a good movie but it just can't match up with the book's ultimate grimeness during the whole story....

Cujo is just straight up boring , I mean a St. Bernard dog covered up with blood and mud ain't scary at all plus that little boy irritates me in that movie with his peeping voice....

Green Mile, Shawshank Redemption and The SHining are the best King movies I've seen so far even though The Shining (the '80 version) goes it's own way instead of following the book, the characters aren't even quite the same as they're described in the book....

TheBoarzHeadBoy
03-01-2009, 09:30 AM
Those aren't even his good stuff. The only books he pedestals as being great are the gunslinger books, which are at least as good as the lord of the rings in terms of epic sagas. What it lacks in depth (lord of the rings went too far) he makes up for in complex plots that are trippy as hell and cobble together totally random fantasy into a rich story.

Stephen Kings a good book writer, obviously his movies aren't that great. Its very hard to portray his horror style in film IMO.

Killa BB
03-01-2009, 09:38 AM
I've aleways prefered his books over the movies. I agree that there's just no way that his books can be correctly translated into film, The actors almost never do the characters justice and although the movies can be entertaining, they are never scary. If I want to be entertained, I'll watch a Stephen King movie. If I wanna be scared outta my own damn house... I'll read a Stephen King Book.

YungSunny
03-01-2009, 11:11 AM
Stephen King made Carrie?
That movie's straight up classic.

EAGLE EYE
03-01-2009, 11:53 AM
I never realized he made Shawshank Redemption, I watched it again last night. One of the best films I've seen to date.

There is also something very rewarding when listening to Morgan Freeman talk while you post of WTC.

There's so many movies I didnt realize were his

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000175/

For some reason I can't remember how "storm of the century" ended. Is Apt Pupil any good?

LORD NOSE
03-01-2009, 12:00 PM
BMCFRElyaCc

Killa BB
03-01-2009, 12:24 PM
Stephen King made Carrie?
That movie's straight up classic.

The book was better.

BMCFRElyaCc

That guy was in the navy... Some degree of Unintelligence is to be expected...

My sister not included.

claaa7
03-01-2009, 01:10 PM
Apt Pupil is definitely a good movie, good novel as well.. there is nothing supernatural involved in that one, and those are usually the greatest King novel's turned flicks..

also the director of "Shawshank Redemption" and "The Green Mile" has made a new movie based on King's 'The Midst'.. anybody seen that yet?

GZAjector
03-01-2009, 01:29 PM
^^ I am reading "The Dark Towers" series by him right now, it's 7 books long and most of them are between 400-800 pages and i'm on the 5:th.. he better not fuck up that ending lol.great series. you're on wolves of the calla ay? good shit.
i've heard rumors the gunslinger is getting made into a movie, about 30 years too late for clint eastwood.

no comment on the ending lol

Killa BB
03-01-2009, 01:33 PM
Apt Pupil is definitely a good movie, good novel as well.. there is nothing supernatural involved in that one, and those are usually the greatest King novel's turned flicks..

also the director of "Shawshank Redemption" and "The Green Mile" has made a new movie based on King's 'The Midst'.. anybody seen that yet?

Yeah< The MIST was a good movie. That's been out for a while now. I saw it and was freaked out a little. It was really good. And the ending was so messed up. I haven't read the book yet though.

TruWizDumb
03-01-2009, 02:11 PM
How come everyone sleeps on Dean Koontz?? I like his books...Some would make good movies

Visionz
03-01-2009, 02:18 PM
How come everyone sleeps on Dean Koontz?? I like his books...Some would make good movies
Koontz is a fuckin hack

King is a great writer but I think he doesn't really KNOW how to end a story. I've read alot of his books but it almost always seems like he doesn't want the story to end himself and has a hard time coping with it.

Needful Things is one his best imo but I thought the movie was shit. You'd need to put in a TV series format that takes years (ala Lost) to get a story with some many subplots right. It can't be done in a two-three hour period.

The Hound
03-01-2009, 02:23 PM
Those aren't even his good stuff. The only books he pedestals as being great are the gunslinger books, which are at least as good as the lord of the rings in terms of epic sagas. What it lacks in depth (lord of the rings went too far) he makes up for in complex plots that are trippy as hell and cobble together totally random fantasy into a rich story.

Stephen Kings a good book writer, obviously his movies aren't that great. Its very hard to portray his horror style in film IMO.

how the fuck are you able to comprehend a stephen king novel well enough to decide what's his best work, when you have the phrase "book writer" in your vocabulary?

Uncle Steezo
03-01-2009, 02:40 PM
the mist was dope

EAGLE EYE
03-01-2009, 02:47 PM
I've been fishing on the lake up here where King has his summer home. The house is massive. I also saw him in a country store near that lake when I was younger. Dude was head to toe in denim and hopped into this creepy old suburban with his wife and took off.

I hope I run into him again so I can see if he has any IT memorabilia he might want to sell off. I could use a nice pair of clown pants.

LORD NOSE
03-01-2009, 02:58 PM
IT was the worst shit

the fuck.... a big ass spider in the sewer ?

the hell that has to do with the clown ?

GZAjector
03-01-2009, 03:04 PM
the clown parts of IT were tight, even the sewer stuff, but yeah, once the spider is revealed that was majorly gay.

THIS IS BATTERY ACID, YOU SLIME!

i used to have the mist on audio book when i was younger, it was in 3-D when you listened on headphones, it's was pretty dope back then.

EAGLE EYE
03-01-2009, 03:07 PM
Seriously though, if I rewrote the ending of IT, my version would have the clown running around the sewer with a chain saw, clown-rape, normal sized tarantulas, suffocation by balloon while getting hit in the face with a bat. Mutated Rotweilers and those fun-house mirrors.

Uncle Steezo
03-01-2009, 03:22 PM
this scene scarred me scared me and scurred me as a kid5ZVq2Gm_Zjk

Visionz
03-01-2009, 03:27 PM
for those that didn't read the book, the kids gang-bang the one girl in the clique as means of unity.............that's right I'm not making this shit up :r :r

GZAjector
03-01-2009, 03:29 PM
hahahahahaaaaaaaaa

also, one of the hoods jerks off the other.