PDA

View Full Version : ATliens = one of the most overrated albums considered a classic

Chungsanity
03-04-2009, 06:05 PM
Atliens gotta be one of the most overrated hiphop albums ever, if not the most. their lyrics were decent but all the beats were way too generic. the only decent song was the title song, ATliens. the rest were just straight up wack and I'd give this album a 6/10. what yall think?

Prolifical ENG
03-04-2009, 06:09 PM
hahahahahahaha!

At one time I thought it was just above average and thought Aquemini was better...but still maybe 8/10. About 1 year ago I put ATLiens in my top 10. GOAT southern rap album.

Senator C. Palantine
03-04-2009, 06:13 PM
Top 10 Hip-Hop album of all time.

Here's my list of weak tracks:

Chungsanity
03-04-2009, 06:17 PM
lets be real here: I didnt make this as a joke/shock thread. Im telling the truth. I copped the god damn album for christ's sake, and in the booklet its some wackass comic book story with 3stacks and big boi. that shit was wack as fuck, the album cover should also be a ridiculous turnoff but like the real hiphop fan I am, I copped it. I THREW IT AWAY AFTERWARDS and now Im listening to them again on YOUTUBE to confirm my stance on Atliens.

southern.... was a classic debut lets get that straight. a lot of bangers but their sophomore, ATLIENS is the most overrated hiphop classic in my books. yes, get at me all you want but thats my stance on it, and no I aint dillusional. I know whats wack and whats not.

b-dolo
03-04-2009, 06:22 PM
one of the dopest song's eva

D9Xju1Wavoc

Chungsanity
03-04-2009, 06:27 PM
^see this is what Im talking about. one of the wackest hooks Ive ever heard and 3stacks just sounds way too weeded to even handle the mic properly. the man shoulda took a break in the booth, its not even a joke and 13 years later they pay the consequences due to how wack they presented themselves on the mic on ATliens. simply NOT LISTENABLE.

Prolifical ENG
03-04-2009, 06:33 PM
Since you are not making a shock thread, can you just make a list of your top 10 hip-hop albums (around 20 if you get really excited). I just want to make a hasty generalization of what kind of rap music you like so I can conclude why you think ATLiens sucks...excuse me...I mean "overrated".

Senator C. Palantine
03-04-2009, 06:38 PM
one of the dopest song's eva

D9Xju1Wavoc

Dope track. Love the beat.

Forever
Liquid Swords
Illmatic
Ironman
OB4CL
Hell On Earth
36 Chambers
ATLiens

Chungsanity
03-04-2009, 06:38 PM
Since you are not making a shock thread, can you just make a list of your top 10 hip-hop albums (around 20 if you get really excited). I just want to make a hasty generalization of what kind of rap music you like so I can conclude why you think ATLiens sucks...excuse me...I mean "overrated".

you kidding me right? you acting like Im a noob listener who got into hiphop when 50 blew up. I know all the ins and outs of the golden age hiphop shit. let me just cement that with this:

1. illmatic
2. ready to die
3. reasonable dout
4. the infamous
5. hell on earth
6. it was written
7. lifestylez ov da poor and dangerous
8. capital punishment
9. southernplayalisticadillacmuzik
10. doe or die

DR. NICK RIVIERA
03-04-2009, 07:05 PM
you kidding me right? you acting like Im a noob listener who got into hiphop when 50 blew up. I know all the ins and outs of the golden age hiphop shit. let me just cement that with this:

1. illmatic
2. ready to die
3. reasonable dout
4. the infamous
5. hell on earth
6. it was written
8. capital punishment
10. doe or die

well, IWW being a better album than ATLiens =O

yeah, but u only listen to street-hop classics, so I understand your statement. well, I can't even make a list of the top20 albums, but I think I would still put the first three in my first 50 hiphop albums. I think u r overreacting with this thread tho - it's just ain't your type of shit.

Prolifical ENG
03-04-2009, 07:54 PM

1. illmatic
2. ready to die
3. reasonable dout
4. the infamous
5. hell on earth
6. it was written
8. capital punishment
10. doe or die

Nice. No I wasn't assuming you were some noob wh was only listening to hip-hop in 2003. I really wanted to see what you liked and thought you really would have some of the classic albums from that era.

I just wanted to see how eastcoast-centric your list was, and it appears its 9 out of 10. It also shows that you put Outkast's debut album on that list so I guess you expected more out fo ATLiens.

I just wanted to see where your opinion was coming from, not saying your opinion is bad or your musical taste is bad. I just wanted to know for the sake of not needing to get into stupid arguments of what rap albums are better. Your list solved that.

YungSunny
03-04-2009, 08:33 PM
ATLiens is aight.
The first 8 tracks are great the all of a sudden....wtf?

Prolifical ENG
03-04-2009, 08:38 PM
ATLiens is aight.
The first 8 tracks are great the all of a sudden....wtf?

I thought the same when I rated it about 8/10 2 years ago....up to track 8 then skipped to 12 and 13. These days I listen straight through.

SCMC8
03-04-2009, 09:34 PM
A classic IMO, and Andre is lyrically his best on this album.

I bet you never heard of a playa with no game
Told the truth to get what I want but shot it with no shame
Take this music dead serious while others entertain
I see they makin they paper so I guess I can't complain... or can I?
I feel they disrespectin the whole thang
Them hooks like sellin dope to black folks
And I choke when the food they serve ain't tastin right
My stomach can't digest it even when I bless it
I'm confessin one mo' lesson from the South we in the house tonight
Now hootie who wants to oppose? Suppose
We rolls through Headland and Delowe
where me and my niggaz surpassed the flow
And got down for ours like hind catchers
My mind catches flashbacks to the black past
while my close niggaz laugh at
The Southern slang, figure ways and mojo chicken wangs
I grew up on booty shake we did not know no better thang
So go 'head and, diss it, while real hop-hippers listen
Started by Afrikan Bambaata, so you and your partna
Gather your thoughts

The Hound
03-04-2009, 09:38 PM
if this poll were public there would only be one vote in favour

it's not overrated, IMO ... but i like southernplayalisticadillacmuzik better

Uncle Steezo
03-04-2009, 10:50 PM
3000 freestyled a LOT of this album.
if that tells you anything about his expertise

one of 3000's illest...
joHV1D758sQ

down south ATLIENS dominated car stereos for the whole year.

I never touched the skip buttton

tall didn't like # 10Mainstream?!?!?! thats that DFam /Goodie vibe.
HIsFDvyLGEk

#9 Wailin?
o-EUqXtmBeE

Marwan
03-04-2009, 10:53 PM
This album and Aquimini are my favorite Outkast albums, I can bump this album all the way through and only skip 2 songs which in todays world niggas be having a 20 song album and only 2 likable tracks....

Marwan
03-04-2009, 10:56 PM
I love Andre 3000, I love them Outkast niggas...these niggas put the south on the map in my opinion.....I mean Scarface been holding it down with hardcore rap fans but Outkast had more of a general appeal and let niggas know the south is relevant...

Prolifical ENG
03-04-2009, 11:00 PM
Wallin is sick

Chungsanity
03-04-2009, 11:01 PM
3000 freestyled a LOT of this album.
if that tells you anything about his expertise

one of 3000's illest...
joHV1D758sQ

down south ATLIENS dominated car stereos for the whole year.

I never touched the skip buttton

tall didn't like # 10Mainstream?!?!?! thats that DFam /Goodie vibe.
HIsFDvyLGEk

#9 Wailin?
o-EUqXtmBeE

see this is what Im saying. those are easily the most monotone, boring tracks Ive ever heard. absolutely no charisma, energy in their rapping. they just need to sober up and focus their mind on the mic. this is what separates it from their debut... on tracks like myintrotoletuknow, claimin true, players ball etc THEY WERE SO FUCKING FOCUSED ON THE MIC, THEIR MISSION WAS TO JUST RIP IT CANIBUS STYLE. on these atlien songs they just all of a sudden act depressed like a muthafucka. CHEER UP B, LISTENERS WANT SOME ENTERTAINMENT HERE.

Marwan
03-04-2009, 11:22 PM
This nigga Chungsanity (http://wutang-corp.com/forum/member.php?u=52805)

is the Simon Cowell of Wu Corp........

ButterCrunchJoints
03-04-2009, 11:29 PM
whaaaaaat? Babylon is fucking genius. like that's my favorite song off the whole album. They don't rap fast as shit on every song because they're versatile and can make a track that's amazing without it having to be a club banger.

Uncle Steezo
03-04-2009, 11:39 PM
see this is what Im saying. those are easily the most monotone, boring tracks Ive ever heard. absolutely no charisma, energy in their rapping. they just need to sober up and focus their mind on the mic. this is what separates it from their debut... on tracks like myintrotoletuknow, claimin true, players ball etc THEY WERE SO FUCKING FOCUSED ON THE MIC, THEIR MISSION WAS TO JUST RIP IT CANIBUS STYLE. on these atlien songs they just all of a sudden act depressed like a muthafucka. CHEER UP B, LISTENERS WANT SOME ENTERTAINMENT HERE.
that let me know you don't know what the fuck you are talking about.
that let me know you don't understand music in the context of time.

CARRY ON

The Hound
03-04-2009, 11:43 PM
i'd love to know which track is supposed to be the boring, monotone one ... mainstream is one of the best produced tracks i've ever heard and you can't fuck with andre on EITHER babylon or wailin

for real, this guy is talking about monotone here and dick riding mobb deep ... lol, i see the irony

Chungsanity
03-04-2009, 11:48 PM
that let me know you don't know what the fuck you are talking about.
that let me know you don't understand music in the context of time.

CARRY ON

god damn fruity posters and their font colors...
you exactly know what Im talking about. its synonymous to talk about ripping mics and canibus - 3 stacks and big boi always had the ability to do that - what part of that statement dont you understand?

understand music in the context of time? LOOOOOOL whats that suppose to mean, that Im suppose to understand that the wackass ATLiens LP was produced in '96 so it gets a pass? Im a 90's head son, I know what Im talking about and you clearly ducking how I praised their classic debut. fall back.

and to the last poster, whats wrong with prime prodigy and havoc on the beats? you mad?

Chungsanity
03-05-2009, 12:11 AM
Nice. No I wasn't assuming you were some noob wh was only listening to hip-hop in 2003. I really wanted to see what you liked and thought you really would have some of the classic albums from that era.

I just wanted to see how eastcoast-centric your list was, and it appears its 9 out of 10. It also shows that you put Outkast's debut album on that list so I guess you expected more out fo ATLiens.

I just wanted to see where your opinion was coming from, not saying your opinion is bad or your musical taste is bad. I just wanted to know for the sake of not needing to get into stupid arguments of what rap albums are better. Your list solved that.

this is one of the best responses one can give without anybody catching feelings.

I dont mind if this thread gets locked cause a certain mod thinks its stupid. I made this thread to see if I was not alone in thinking ATLiens is overrated, and the polls prove there's others who feel the same.

DJMethods
03-05-2009, 12:23 AM
Coincidentally just chucked this album on again last night, bumped it through a full 3 times in a row while just chilling with a friend, getting up every now and then to boogie white-boy style, and surfin net a bit.

C-L-A-S-S-I-C

Don't think so? Cool, I just feel bad you aren't able to appreciate something so great. Some cats don't like blowjobs, more power to them, I'm still getting my dick suckkked.

Twiztid-Wutang
03-05-2009, 12:39 AM
The title track itself ruins the credibilty of this post.

2ygqj3RbHFU
Cooler than a polar bears toenails indeed.

beautifulrock
03-05-2009, 12:53 AM
Growin' old is my shit, although I think this album is slightly overrated, I remember not liking it too much at first, because they had a drastic change in style from the first album.

Uncle Steezo
03-05-2009, 12:59 AM
chung wears all kaki and tan wallys. monochrome ass nigga.

not all hip hop is about party and bullshit.
ATLIENS was an introspective chamber as at the time they were trying to find themselves and discover purpose after growing out of the pimp chamber. transition from boy to man. they were 16 when southernplayalistic dropped.

music in the concept of time.

FYI 1996 was a GREAT YEAR FOR HIP HOP.

Visionz
03-05-2009, 01:02 AM
Dope with NO BEAT :lmao: the whole cd is a classic
KU2c2ohsws8
IW-9eOPAWdA
FTLuQNLRHD4

People might not like it but you can't call that ish wack.

The Hound
03-05-2009, 01:08 AM
i'm still perplexed at how "mainstream" is a generic beat

Chungsanity
03-05-2009, 01:12 AM
Growin' old is my shit, although I think this album is slightly overrated, I remember not liking it too much at first, because they had a drastic change in style from the first album.

BINGO!!!!!!

ATLiens was way too different. yes, its all about artists experimenting a new sound, but they failed at that. they fully stripped the lyrical slaughter aspect like they had in their debut. even funky ride was some different shit that I could blast - being my ultimate whip joint.

Visionz
03-05-2009, 01:14 AM
i'm still perplexed at how "mainstream" is a generic beathow are any of them generic? I think Outkast has some of the most consistently dope beats in the history of hip-hop. The fact that by and large its either themselves or Organized Noise producing it allows for a continuity of dopeness that most hip-hop acts will never acheive.

Visionz
03-05-2009, 01:18 AM
BINGO!!!!!!

ATLiens was way too different. yes, its all about artists experimenting a new sound, but they failed at that. they fully stripped the lyrical slaughter aspect like they had in their debut. even funky ride was some different shit that I could blast - being my ultimate whip joint.

"you hop in your box and stay there"-----Chungsanity

they completely changed their sound but failed at being experimental :?

hmmmm

The Hound
03-05-2009, 01:18 AM
:? i agree with you ... thread starter said they were generic, not me ... but mainstream itself is one of the best produced tracks EVER

Visionz
03-05-2009, 01:20 AM
:? i agree with you ... thread starter said they were generic, not me ... but mainstream itself is one of the best produced tracks EVER
ahaha--it was a rhetorical question, not really directed at you. :b

netscape check two
03-05-2009, 01:22 AM
http://a323.yahoofs.com/ymg/ept_sports_nba_experts__21/ept_sports_nba_experts-696443146-1236124609.jpg?ymBf14ADlQZkvmhR

Uncle Steezo
03-05-2009, 01:30 AM
sometimes saying
"you're right. i never thought about it that way"
will make you feel better.

some guys will still date the tranny even after they find the candy.

ooh i i'm puttin that in a verse.

peace tone

vision i'll see you in the DA cypher later.

The Hound
03-05-2009, 01:37 AM
peace STYLE

i'll say this ... i can respect the opinion saying ATLiens isn't an out and out classic, because that's all subjective opinion (as hard as it is to fathome) ... but in no way can i respect saying that ATLiens is straight up WHACK, and a baseless judgement call at that ...

the beats ... you say are generic, name another album that preceded ATLiens that came with the same shit
the lyrics aren't on point ...

I came into this world high as a bird
From second hand cocain powder
i know it sounds absurd
I never tooted but its in my veins
While the rest of the country bungies off bridges
Without no snap back
and bitches they say they need that
To shake they fannies in the ass clubs
they go the other route
turn each other out
burn each other out
where a bonified nigga like me
can't even get no back rub these days
ain't that bleak on they part
but let me hold it down
cause they shut you down
when you speak from your heart
now that's hard
while we rantin and ravin bout gats
nigga they made them gats
they got some shit that'll blow out our backs
from where they stay at

i mean, for real? if that's not on point then what is? and then when you HEAR IT it becomes twice as powerful

ButterCrunchJoints
03-05-2009, 01:41 AM
peace STYLE

I came into this world high as a bird
From second hand cocain powder
i know it sounds absurd
I never tooted but its in my veins
While the rest of the country bungies off bridges
Without no snap back
and bitches they say they need that
To shake they fannies in the ass clubs
they go the other route
turn each other out
burn each other out
where a bonified nigga like me
can't even get no back rub these days
ain't that bleak on they part
but let me hold it down
cause they shut you down
when you speak from your heart
now that's hard
while we rantin and ravin bout gats
nigga they made them gats
they got some shit that'll blow out our backs
from where they stay at

[COLOR=Sienna][B]i mean, for real? if that's not on point then what is? and then when you HEAR IT it becomes twice as powerful

co-sign.

J-DON
03-05-2009, 01:41 AM
I also found the production on ATLiens to be lacking. IMO it isnt as good as SouthernPlayalisticETC or Aquemini. Still a great album but I could never see how people could put it above the two aforementioned records.

Visionz
03-05-2009, 01:43 AM
I also found the production on ATLiens to be lacking. IMO it isnt as good as SouthernPlayalisticETC or Aquemini. Still a great album but I could never see how people could put it above the two aforementioned records.
Aquemini is my favorite of the first three, but they're all dope

Edgar Erebus
03-05-2009, 05:15 AM

Basically that was my only problem with that album. Lyrically it's a masterpiece, induvidually listened every song is great, but when listened as a whole I just find it too sleepy.

I consider it a narrow miss from being a classic, but I voted "No" in the poll just to make that vomitspit Chung mad.

DR. NICK RIVIERA
03-05-2009, 05:27 AM
Like Tone said, if u compare Outkast and Mobb Deep, Havoc n Prodigy r more monotone.

Well, as we all figured it out, this kind of music isn't something he would listen everyday.

Chungsanity
03-05-2009, 10:12 AM
Basically that was my only problem with that album. Lyrically it's a masterpiece, induvidually listened every song is great, but when listened as a whole I just find it too sleepy.

I consider it a narrow miss from being a classic, but I voted "No" in the poll just to make that vomitspit Chung mad.

the majority have voted no. you're not a special case at all.

Prolifical ENG
03-08-2009, 09:31 PM
After this thread I think I listened to ATLiens about 3-4x and I think I like it even more now.

Andre3000 is sick, or at least his afflictions vary.

drippie k
03-09-2009, 01:30 AM
if anything, its under-rated

crds
03-09-2009, 04:43 AM
ATLiens is my favourite Outkast album, I have had many a great hour so getting high and drinking brews with friends to that album over the years, it's not overrated at all.

Suga Duga
03-09-2009, 05:06 AM
Aquemini is my fav outkast album and maybe my fav album ever, but ATLiens is sick too.

if you can't appreciate this type of music, then don't make threads stating your inability of understanding outkast's music, big boi and 3 stacks are legends.

DR. NICK RIVIERA
03-09-2009, 07:15 AM
^^^^^^co-signing. There are just some rappers, that kept a certain high quality in their music for a long time, Outkast are a good example.