PDA

View Full Version : Vast Aire vs Vordul Mega (on The Cold Vein)

Tecknowledgist
03-04-2009, 09:24 PM
which do you prefer?

i'm expecting a massive Vast Aire blowout.

but to be honest, i always liked Vordul Mega's verses more on the cold vein. "thoughts of ghetto acapellas in cathedrals"

vast aire might have the better lyrics but megallah's flow is much better

like on this song

9ls6CvY3e_k

classic vordul verse

not saying vast aire isnt dope. he has a lot of great lines and quotables. i just prefer vordul's verses

racist randy
03-04-2009, 09:39 PM
Vordul Mega I would give it to by 1.54 cm. Listen to Battle For Asgard ...

noel411
03-04-2009, 09:56 PM
Definitely Vast Aire. His performance on this album is one of my favourite performances by an mc on any hip hop album, ever. El-P can definitely account for some of that too, with his production/mixing/mastering additions. But Vast's delivery was fresh. Unique in a very positive way. So too his wordplay. It's not like his lyrics were overly complex or anything. He just used a unique and interesting kind of wordplay. Lines like "What you figure, that chalky outline on the ground is a father figure?", "I'm honest to a fault but it's my fault I'm that honest"...just crafty shit, but not going for too much with some wack complicated similie like most rappers do. His use of homonyms was an original concept for an mc as far as I know, and a pretty good one at it.

Vordul ripped it on the opening 2 tracks, especially Iron Galaxy, but after that he wasn't too impressive.

oDoUoSoKo
03-04-2009, 09:59 PM
as i was ready to vote for my man Vast ( "either you like reincarnation or the smell of carnations...") i thought of...spit words not to hurt but to bash your brains..which i think is a shining reference...either way...i flipped a coin and voted mega.

noel411
03-04-2009, 10:30 PM
X-Men vs. Street Fighter is probably literally the greatest video game ever. I could destroy anybody with Ryu's aerial raves. The only downer is Apocalypse, where you fight his big fuck off hand. Whenever I play survival mode I destroy every motherfucker in a few seconds, and then my energy gets drained on Apocalypse and I have to build it up again. It's not that he's really hard. I'm just impatient and can't be fucked waiting for good opportunities to attack him.

Sorry to go off topic. Raspberry Fields is one of the hardest tracks ever. Cold Vein is the closest thing there's been to a classic hip hop album in the last decade. It probably even is classic. Vast Aire's first solo album was actually pretty good, but after that he fell off pretty badly.

GhettoGnom
03-05-2009, 06:55 AM
To me it's Vast Aire.. Yeah, his flow is not as good as Vordul's, but his flow still kind of compliments El-P's production and it kind of goes with his lyrics, which are some of the best I've heard.

Dr. Simon Hurt
03-05-2009, 07:48 AM
I voted Vordul; his flow and voice are preferable to me...both killed it lyrically, it was really the mixture of their two styles that elevated the album so much, they really coplimented each other well.

Dr. Simon Hurt
03-05-2009, 07:49 AM
scream phoenix!

and this isn't just a classic hip hop album; it's a classic album period...it's a shame more people haven't heard this, to me sonically and lyrically it transcends the genre

Charles Barry
03-05-2009, 08:24 AM
The definition of classic.

Both killed it but I'd probably give it to Vast. He was just so poetic on the album.

Guarded By Martyrs
03-05-2009, 09:10 AM
Vordul Mega

Dr. Simon Hurt
03-05-2009, 09:53 AM
^^^^where is that song from in your sig?

whatever happened to the follow up that was supposed to have rza and pete rock beats?

vordul' revolution of the yung havoks album was good too, i didn't get into vast aire's solo shit, though.

Buzk
03-05-2009, 11:18 AM
I guess ima go with Vaiste Air, but its pretty close. Vordul killed it on pidgeons tho, probably my favourite verse on the album, atleast one of my favourites.

White_Mouse
03-05-2009, 12:14 PM
It was mainly the way that Vast Aire could deliver conversationally as well as confrontationally (my shit here says that's not a word lol)
as shown here

"you were a stillborn baby mother didn't want you but you were still born"
one of the most quotable quotables i've ever heard

and one that not a lot of people like as much but i still think is great

"you ain't the real McCoy you a wind up toy and that's gonna cost ya and that's my B-Boy Alpha"

Vordul was dope on the flow, but it was less accessible i think because of his vocal range. It was lower and blended with the beat like a chocolate syrup, while Vast's flow was like the cherry on top, it was colorful and stood out as well as added an unexpected flavor without ruining the sundae, in fact it complimented it :beer:

Cold Vein IS classic btw

J-DON
03-05-2009, 03:45 PM
Vast Aire DEFINITLEY!!!

Dudes presence on this album is insane. Every line he delivers is intense and delves into the soul. I dont know what happened to him after this album but on this album his style is flawless and just fits so well with the sparse, dark, productions. Just listen to Iron Galaxy.

oDoUoSoKo
03-05-2009, 07:12 PM
my real name's closer to Thor's than yours!!! lmao...

DR. NICK RIVIERA
03-06-2009, 06:54 AM
Vast Aire by a cats dick.

I love them both on this album and I think this is one of the best hiphop albums ever, everything is perfect or close to perfect.

But of course, this topic will get unnoticed for the fact that many WuCorpians think 2Pac is top10 rapper or say Mobb Deep are not monotone. There is so much sweet hiphop material in the underground, with true poetic lyrics and dope beats and they get shitted on, just cuz they are widely unknown. Hip hop lives, and this album is the proof, been listening to it for the last 6 years, and can't stop.

Just to contribute - I can't imagine any legendary / 'legendary' emcee on the mainstream doing a track like Painkiller [Outkast posses that skill maybe]...and I think everyone who ever listened to this album isn't simpleminded like some other faggots here, so I thank you.

Durag
03-06-2009, 07:04 AM
Vast Aire

Vordul Mega was definitly dope, but was very technical and complex. His flow was deep, and his lyrics wernt simple, you had to listen to it repeadidly to get his meaning, kinda like some wu-tang shit. But at the same time, i think he lacked some personality and charisma, and didnt really make me want to sit up and listen as much.

Vast Aire on the other hand had everything. Lyrics that were dope, but not over complex and didnt go over peoples head, a nice simple flow, and some great quotables. His lyrics were simpler but far more powerful, and his imagry was amazing. He made you want to sit up and listen.

And "Iron Galaxy" is one of the best hip-hop tracks ever, and easily the best on this album.

DR. NICK RIVIERA
03-06-2009, 08:03 AM
^^^easily, really? Ionno, I still think Painkiller is the highlight on this fantastic album. It depends, and I usually like hard beats more, and Painkiller has one of the softer beats on the album.

White_Mouse
03-06-2009, 12:18 PM
B-Boy alpha is my favorite personally, that piano sample is just killer

RynMur
03-06-2009, 04:53 PM
Mega, but they fit so well, I'd rather hear them together than solo.

narc
03-06-2009, 05:21 PM
id say Pigeon and Iron galaxy were the best in the album.

noel411
03-06-2009, 07:38 PM
My fave was Raspberry Fields. That shit is hard.

noel411
03-06-2009, 07:40 PM
+ it's fucken sick how Vast Aire fucks up his verse, frees a few bars, then starts the verse again. Adds to the raw vibe of the track and album as a whole.

RAW-TASTE
03-07-2009, 02:45 AM
bumpin this right now....this shit is so raw. i remember i was addicted to it back when i first heard it, not your usual dose of hiphop, although i dont like most shit by el-p/def jux, the production of this album is topnotch.

Rollo
03-07-2009, 10:30 AM
But of course, this topic will get unnoticed for the fact that many WuCorpians think 2Pac is top10 rapper or say Mobb Deep are not monotone. There is so much sweet hiphop material in the underground, with true poetic lyrics and dope beats and they get shitted on, just cuz they are widely unknown. Hip hop lives, and this album is the proof, been listening to it for the last 6 years, and can't stop.

Just to contribute - I can't imagine any legendary / 'legendary' emcee on the mainstream doing a track like Painkiller [Outkast posses that skill maybe]...and I think everyone who ever listened to this album isn't simpleminded like some other faggots here, so I thank you.

To argue that 2pac isn't a top 10 is one thing, saying underground is better is quite another.
Being a great rapper means making great music, most of the underground is uber lyrical and still crappy musically.

Mac Lethal, Grayskul, Yak Ballz, Little brother, Mf Doom ect.... have great lyrics, but as rappers, they make shit music.

Sure there are some who are good, I look to people like Royce or Ras Kass or Akrobatik or supastition for example, they make good music. But then you have some people who are only underground because they can't make songs, doesn't matter that you're incredibly real or lyrical if you can't make songs.

Anyway as far as this topic goes, probably Vast Aire.

Young Gun
12-23-2011, 09:16 PM
Not only is this a classic Hip Hop album, it's one of the most classic albums of all time; unlike anything I've heard in any genre of music.

It's incredibly difficult to single out Vast or Vordul, as they both have their own very unique qualities, but I'm gonna go with Vordul Mega. Vast has witty quotable lines, but with Vordul I could feel the pain in his lyrics, also painting very vivid pictures with his imagery.

ShaDynasty
12-23-2011, 09:33 PM
vast made more of an impact solo, hes obviously more driven than mega. i think they're evenly matched though. its a shame el-p said that a reunion won't happen. i really hope hes wrong, i think another ox album is the comeback i'd like to see the most.

vast even named his last lp ox, so he must wanna bring it back.

Dr Sleepwalker
12-23-2011, 09:55 PM
Vast Aire

Charles Barry
12-23-2011, 10:03 PM
Props for bringing back up this classic album. I was bumping it a couple of days ago. Vordul was on Vast Aire's last album, so it gave me a little hope that maybe one day they'll drop another joint together. I don't know why Vordul hasn't done anything since Megagraphitti on the solo tip.

Young Gun
12-23-2011, 10:15 PM
Props for bringing back up this classic album. I was bumping it a couple of days ago. Vordul was on Vast Aire's last album, so it gave me a little hope that maybe one day they'll drop another joint together. I don't know why Vordul hasn't done anything since Megagraphitti on the solo tip.

Last I heard, someone on Twitter or something, had mentioned Vordul was out in the streets asking for money. It's a damn shame, because I really dig Vordul's solo work.

I read an interview with Vordul, Megagraphitti was created in span of 8 years, started even before Cold Vein dropped.

Charles Barry
12-23-2011, 10:31 PM
Last I heard, someone on Twitter or something, had mentioned Vordul was out in the streets asking for money. It's a damn shame, because I really dig Vordul's solo work.

I read an interview with Vordul, Megagraphitti was created in span of 8 years, started even before Cold Vein dropped.
That's really sad to hear if it's true. Vordul disappeared for a while though, so it really wouldn't surprise me. Vordul and Vast have two of the most unique styles in the game, they meshed together beautifully on the Cold Vein. I haven't really heard an album that reminded me of it since. Hopefully Vordul can get his stuff together if he's going through hard times. Hate to see a talented cat like that down and out.

Young Gun
12-25-2011, 08:03 AM
That's really sad to hear if it's true. Vordul disappeared for a while though, so it really wouldn't surprise me. Vordul and Vast have two of the most unique styles in the game, they meshed together beautifully on the Cold Vein. I haven't really heard an album that reminded me of it since. Hopefully Vordul can get his stuff together if he's going through hard times. Hate to see a talented cat like that down and out.

Could not have said it better myself.

Here's the interview I was referring to, if any of y'all are interested:

http://coolehmag.com/frontEnd/feature.php?i=41&s=67

Tecknowledgist
12-25-2011, 05:34 PM
vordul has chronic depression issues which is why he hasnt been more active

listen to his verses, you can feel the pain in just about every vordul verse ever written

GhettoGnom
12-25-2011, 07:14 PM
vast even named his last lp ox, so he must wanna bring it back.

To Vast, Can OX is him and Vordul, and last I heard he couldn't stand El-P and said he "hadn't made a banger in X years"..

theDZA
12-25-2011, 09:44 PM
i've always preferred vordul over vast

CEITEDMOFO
12-25-2011, 10:10 PM
VORDUL WAS DOPE ON THAT ALBUM I HEARD HES A BUM ON THE STREETS NOW ASKIN FOR DOLLAs

VAST AIRE WAS SICK TOO, VAST AIRE GETS MY VOTE SINCE HES MORE ORGINIAL
uv7_8cx5hUk
THAT VAST VERSE IS THE REASON I DECIDED TO CHECK OUT CANIBAL OX

VORDUL DID DOPE TOO

MY FAVORITE TRACK

sj9Vqrm5ytM

Young Gun
05-01-2012, 07:11 PM
k7w7TWZ3Q8U

Vordul's still making music, this is from late 2011. He has numerous features from the past couple of years, but I'm finding they're pretty difficult to track down. Billy Wood's History Will Absolve Me features Vordul on 'The Darkness' and Keith Masters' Bioluminescence EP features Vordul on a couple tracks.

listen to his verses, you can feel the pain in just about every vordul verse ever written

I agree 100%.