PDA

View Full Version : GZA & Muggs - Grandmasters Review Thread

inditing dane
09-10-2005, 08:17 AM
Okay i couldn't resist downloading it now that it's been ripped. I haven't bothered to review a album song by song ever since No Said Date, but this album is just so incredible!
Here you go:
01. Opening
This is a nice intro, that sums up the relationship between muggs and the wu. The background beat is dope, and the last skit is dope too. Great intro really.
9/10
02. Those That's Bout It
Okay, the first track. You'll prolly heard it, it's a nice track, gza is sick and the beat is good. But with this being said, this is the weakest track on the album, for real! crazy isn't it?
8/10
03. Destruction Of A Guard (Pop, Pop, Pop) Feat. RZA(intro) & Raekwon (Chorus)
WU BANGER! Lovely lovely track, amazing beat and lyrics! This couldn't be better. I love this shit so much, muggs swicthes the beat up a bit and Rae has a nice chorus
10/10
04. Exploitation Of Mistakes
WOW! AGAIN a dope beat, and a crazy story by gza, only thing im missing a bit is some more pressence by the gza, but actually it fits the story pretty well. what can i say? crazy shit!
9.5/10
05. General Principles
Goddamn this could be str8 off liquid swordz! amazing track, and gza murders it "a small fried nigga in a baked potato world" lovely :) he's chopping heads like in the old days and i cant describe how great this beat is! SICK SICK shit!
10/10
06. Advance Pawns (Royal) feat. RZA, Raekwon
OMG! Muggs keeps amazing me, i think i once said that the only thing that could ruin this album was if muggs didn't deliver, obviously he DID! Sick beat once again. And all 3 emcees is on top of their game...once again i have to ask what more can you ask for?? CRAZY!
10/10
07. Queen's Gambit (NFL)
damn, this is something only gza can do! a love song where he mentions all kinds of NFL's related shit. The beat isn't really as great as the first ones, but again it fits the story very well, and it's still really great. I love this song, the whole idea and shit is just crazy.
9.5/10
08. All In Together feat. ODB(Intro), RZA(Chorus)
you prolly heard this. it's another wu banger, and it's a lovely tribute to odb. R.I.P...once again, SICK shit!
9.5/10
09. Unstoppable Threats (Hip-Hop) feat. P-Sunn, Masta Killa
yet another wu banger, with some great featurings, Killa steals the show "ninjaman blending in with the surroundings" =D> . superb track
9.5/10
10. Unprotected Pieces (Game Face)
crazy beat, really hyping you up to go kill someone :D, but somehow it gets a bit boring after a while. but it's not anything serious, cous again gza murders it. good track!
9/10
11. Illusory Protection (War Drumz)
dammit, someone pinch me!!! this shit cant be from 2005?? It sounds exactly like a track from liquid swordz! seriously. this track is amazing! fucking sick shit, gza once again totally murders this amazing beat. maaan, this sick sick shit.
10,5/10 :D
12. Smothered Mate
nice track to close this amazing album. yet again the beat and lyrics are on another level than what you hear these days. great track.
"we make music from the hearts, not for the charts" that shit gave me chills.
9/10
To sum it up, this is not just the best album this year, it's most likely the best album, since?? hmm i dont even know, but this is the best wu album since supreme clientele for sure, only no said date could compete with that. this may sound like im all hyped up and just went nuts while writing this, but seriously this album amazes me on so many levels. The beats Muggs provided for this, is vintage crazy dopness like i havn't heard it on this side of the milinium, the diversity of the beats are absolutely superb, and gza once again shows that he is one of the best EVER to grab a mic, i can't believe how dope he is on this album. also the chess concept, the featurings and well the fact the this album actually happend, and im sitting here listening to it now give this shit a 10/10 rating for sure.
everybody who just heard of the wu should purchase this album, this shit is str8 outta 95.
PEACE,
im a very very very happy man right now.
ps. this album makes u-god's album sound like macho man's album. wow he must shit himself when he hears this album.

The Transporter
09-10-2005, 08:21 AM
he says baked potato world.

mic-cord-strangler
09-10-2005, 08:21 AM
thanx for the review.. people drop some more please

i wanna read some reactions until i wait til the 25th of october when i get it

inditing dane
09-10-2005, 08:24 AM
he says baked potato world.
oh yeah, just a misprint...

Sun Tzu, Tha Soul Controllah
09-10-2005, 08:25 AM
......you are making it very hard

but i will hold out and let the other songs be a surprise when i finally buy it

The Transporter
09-10-2005, 08:27 AM
btw, SMOTHERED MATE is my SHIT!!!!

The Transporter
09-10-2005, 08:30 AM
oh also, Illusory Protection is like I Gotcha Back Pt. 2, he does the chorus the same exact way but just different words "the G.O.D., the G.O.D." = "it's about to be... a catastrophe".

inditing dane
09-10-2005, 08:32 AM
oh also, Illusory Protection is like I Gotcha Back Pt. 2, he does the chorus the same exact way but just different words "the G.O.D., the G.O.D." = "it's about to be... a catastrophe".
exactly, also the beat is str8 off liquid swordz, the song is simply too good

Oztradamus
09-10-2005, 08:51 AM
4.5 Mics upon first listen...

Antonelli
09-10-2005, 09:07 AM
01- Opening : Intro. */10

02- Those Thats Bout It : Classic wu shit. Remind me beat from the wu elements, typical 98' shit ! I love it ! 7/10

03- Destruction Of A Guard Ft.Raek : Man....Just another perfect beat for me, remind me the scary hours from wu forever ! It's the track of the LP ! 9/10

04- Exploitation Of Mistakes : Nice beat, nice flow from GZA. Just the track you never think gza can do, his flow is so calm, it's just a very very nice track to smoke one' before you sleep. 8/10

05- General Principles : My least favourite track from this LP. Not bad, not really a banger. Just a good track but something is missing. A better snare maybe ? 6/10

06- Advanced Pawns : BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANGA ! Really a powerful track, RZA came real nice. Raekwon too ! 8.5/10

07- Queens Gambit : typical beat who don't make you scream to the first listen. But it's the shit you can listen for years and years, you will never be bored by this one. This shit smell like a 95-96' beat era. Lyrics are really tight ! Another classik track ! 9/10

08- All In Together : The single ! It's really a great track ! The beat is insane ! 8/10

09- Unstopable Treats : Not so great. But a good track overall. 6.5/10

10- Unprotected Pieces : WAOUHHHHHHHHhh ! Real aggressive shit here ! The violin is so hard ! Man this track rules ! 8/10

11- Illusory Protection : Grimey shit here ! U need to listen this shit over and over to like it but after that, it's just real nice ! 7/10

12- Smothered Mate : Well what can i say ? It's just another great track ! The hook is nice wit the vocal sample. 7/10

Overall : 8/10.

You can think 8/10 is low but i'm not a groupie ! And 8/10 is for me excellent ! No said date was 5/10 in my opinion, and legend of liquid sword (a good LP) 6/10. Grandmasters is an instant classik, i just hope it will stay the same with the time.

EMISSARY
09-10-2005, 09:14 AM
best album for 2005...hands down...what a breath of fresh air...

http://mi0.bpcdn.us/wutangirl/paola_gza.jpg

SLAVE
09-10-2005, 10:44 AM
yo Emissary, is that you in the picture next to GZA? looks nice

deadlymelody
09-10-2005, 12:44 PM
It brings me great pleasure to read great reviews. I might buy several copies of this hahah

Mark
09-10-2005, 12:49 PM
http://mi0.bpcdn.us/wutangirl/paola_gza.jpg

"LOVE IS IN THE AIR" :hooray:

Ink Is My Drink
09-10-2005, 01:08 PM
thanks for the reviews an i seriously sooooooooooo cant wait till i run to the shops an buy this shit its gonna be AMAZINGGGGGGG

EMISSARY
09-10-2005, 01:11 PM
yo Emissary, is that you in the picture next to GZA? looks nice funny...thats wu girl man...act like you dont know...

num2son
09-10-2005, 01:17 PM
The album should be a classic.

Antonelli
09-10-2005, 01:19 PM
Queen Gambit's beat is really the shit ! The more you play it, the more you like it ! Trust me, you will still talk about this song in 10 years !

inditing dane
09-10-2005, 01:23 PM
Queen Gambit's beat is really the shit ! The more you play it, the more you like it ! Trust me, you will still talk about this song in 10 years !word i feel the same way. crazy beat!

Chief 'Broom
09-10-2005, 03:09 PM
I just gotta say - Queen's Gambit is DEEP. That's ingenius - his usual allegory, BUT showing emcees that they can come from a different angle with the love songs.

Loving this album. Lots of jewels. Plus he SWITCHES his tone for each track. DJ Muggs style on the beats - can't fuck with that. Man - and yo for the records, i got this already cuz i am impatient. Not enough new shit to listen to right now for me. But you bet believe i'm buying that shit. Not just "to support the artists" - even though i'd love to see Gza get the sales he deserves (but shit the artist is richer than me). Anyway, that's not my point - i'm buying the shit cuz i want to own it. It's a beautiful thing to put in my collection. You'd be a lot cooler if you owned this - and get more respect, from me at least. Shame on you if you don't buy it.

Gza came through for all the original Wu fans:clap:

Chief 'Broom
09-10-2005, 03:17 PM
He's really gunning at wack rappers too. Shit is a hip hop blueprint.

num2son
09-10-2005, 05:25 PM
1 Opening - 4/5
2 Those Thats Bout It - 5/5 ^O^
3 Destruction of A Guard - 5/5 ^O^
4 Exploitation Of Mistakes - 4.5/5 :thumbup:
5 General Principal - 4/5
6 Advanced Pawns - 5/5 ^O^
7 Queens Gambit - 4/5 :thumbup:
8 All In Together - 4/5
9 Unstopable Threats - 5/5 ^O^
10 Illusory Protection 4/5 The beat after this song is a 6/5:yes:
11 Smothered Mate 4/5
12 Unprotected Pieces 3.5/5

Overall 4.5/5

My Goodness............This album is a (Potential) classic. Nuff said. This album rivals Liquid Swordz

I will get this album http://forum.chambermusik.com/images/smiles/eusa_clap.gif :clap:

Oztradamus
09-10-2005, 05:37 PM
Only time will tell if It's a classic... It has to stand the test of time, That's why I don't like to call anything classic right away when it comes out ( NO HOMO)

num2son
09-10-2005, 05:41 PM
Only time will tell if It's a classic... It has to stand the test of time, That's why I don't like to call anything classic right away when it comes out ( NO HOMO)Ok Partner. ;) I understand were you coming from this album could be like Legend of the Liquid Swordz. Very hot for a month then die out.

JBlaze
09-10-2005, 05:56 PM
real ill, has a consistent classic wu feel to it

judgin off first impressions....

track 2 - 3.5/5
track 3 - 4/5
track 4 - 5/5
track 5 - 4/5
track 6 - 4/5
track 7 - 5/5
track 8 - 4/5
track 9 - 4/5
track 10 - 4/5
track 11 - 4.5/5
track 12 - 4/5

right now, its an 8.5/10 album

much iller than LOTLS

Marc051
09-11-2005, 02:11 AM
can't wait wish this would come out sooner, i ordered my copy already but still have to wait another month

Wzarecta
09-11-2005, 09:19 AM
This album really is incredible. Unstoppable Threats is probably the weakest track and even that's of say, No Said Date quality. Some of the beats are just.... Wow. I would name the ones I'm thinking of but I think it would just be easier if I said tracks 1-12 inclusive. I can't believe how much Illusory Protection sounds like a track of Liquid Swords.

This is the kind of album we've all been dreaming of for years. 9.5/10

mic-cord-strangler
09-11-2005, 09:28 AM
damn all these reviews are making my mouth water

i am gonna be so happy once i buy this shit

over the entire internet i have only seen 1 person who was disapointed, the rest all loved it

peace

IRONMAN GFK
09-11-2005, 10:34 AM
has it leaked already? where where? i cant wait for that album lol

num2son
09-11-2005, 11:46 AM
has it leaked already? where where? i cant wait for that album lol
Yeah its leaked.

Oztradamus
09-11-2005, 02:45 PM
*takes a leak*

num2son
09-11-2005, 03:51 PM
*takes a leak*
More than a leak. Somebody turn on the the water.

JBlaze
09-11-2005, 05:57 PM
"name a crew that could stop the force that i strike with/
let alone, try to hold the pen that i write wit/
you could even chop off the fingers i type wit/
those i hold the mic wit, THINKIN I MIGHT QUIT/"

this album = ILL

pablobaluba
09-12-2005, 04:32 AM
fuckin ill album.... 9/10
classic...a new millenium classic
best album of the year

Oneman
09-12-2005, 05:08 AM
http://mi0.bpcdn.us/wutangirl/paola_gza.jpgWOW.... look at the size of his head...

he MUST be a genius

PEACE

Oneman

wampus
09-12-2005, 05:13 AM
wow i have the album in advance but i just save queen's gambit which is marvelous !! the instru is beeaauutiful like fish (ghostface), another wu bangaaaaaaa

num2son
09-12-2005, 09:08 AM
WOW.... look at the size of his head...

he MUST be a genius

PEACE

Oneman
LOL

Megaman
09-12-2005, 11:25 AM
2005 has been a good year :D

dojo_pros
09-12-2005, 01:11 PM
fuckin best album ive heard in a long time, gza fuckin man, num 1!

SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS
09-12-2005, 07:36 PM
one of my favorite lp's this past year and especially from a wu member gza swords and all their sword were shapr man muggs beat fits perfectly

mic-cord-strangler
09-12-2005, 09:04 PM
WOW.... look at the size of his head...

he MUST be a genius

PEACE

Oneman
yo look at the cover of legend of the liquid sword. his son's head is almost twice as big as gza's head..freaky shit!

MastaMind
09-13-2005, 10:00 AM
OPENING
THOSE THAT'S ABOUT IT - A great beat wit nice sounding vocal samples. GZA comes lyrically correct, soundin' a bit sedated but overall the song is mad nice - 4.5/5
DESTRUCTION OF A GUARD - Nice storytelling from GZA, dope chorus from the Chef... Magnificient beat from Muggs. Vocal samples are mad nice here. 5/5
EXPLOITATION OF MISTAKES - GZA tellin' dope stories again, he's a master at it. Da beat is so damn beautiful... Best songs from the album. 5/5
GENERAL PRINCIPLES - HEAT HEAT HEAT!!! Oh my God whut a beat! Straight up Liquid Swords shit... GZA delivers the lyrics full of energy.. I'm truly confused cuz most of ya peeps consider this song as the weakest of the album. 6/5
ADVANCED PAWNS - Nice posse cut. Beat is damn nice, the drums, the bass, the strings.... Pure Wu sound. Great to hear these MC's on a same track again. 5/5
QUEENS GAMBIT - An interesting song. A love song. GZA has never really made a luv song, I think... GZA proves here that he's the MASTA. No one can touch his skill. To refer to NFL was really a dope idea!!! The beat takes sum time to grow on, sum slow, jazzy type shit.. 5/5
ALL IN TOGETHER NOW - Almost got tears in my eyes when hearing Dirty on da intro.. Nice tribute to Dirt Dog!!! Beat is kinda simple, sumtimes the guitar gets on my nerves... Drums are very RZA type. But da beat would fit better to Cypress.
Weird how GZA spits the first verse with his "new",slow style but the second and third verse sound like it was 95.. 4.5/5
UNSTOPPABLE THREATS - Another posse cut... The beat iz so damn Wu!!! Gives sum serious kicks. GZA, P Sunn and MK all come fucking great. 5/5
UNPROTECTED PIECES - Slow, haunting beat, like straight out sum ol skool video game!!! it's dope... GZA in his element. 5/5
ILLUSORY PROTECTION - OMG OMG OMG!!! This song is made 2005?!!! This is straight outta Liquid Swords, man! Da chorus gives me serious chills... It's about to be a catastrophe!!! The best song i've heard this year. 6/5
SMOTHERED MATE - Nice ending to da album... Sounds like a Math beat. Nice organs. GZA spits pure cleverness... Sounds like a track from BTS. 4/5

Overall the album iz fucking great, beats the shit outta BTS and LOTLS... Far over my expectations... Not too much cameos, so GZA gets more time to shine on da mic... Muggs was fucking impressive in the production. The beats match the Wu sound perfectly. GZA has just gotten better and better... Ain't hard to tell who's the sharpest lyricist in the game right now. Grandmasters is the best album I've heard this year!!!

Overall score 5/5

PolitiC
09-13-2005, 10:26 AM
yo i havent downloaded it ima wait til it hits the streets and everyone better pay money 4 that shit like i kno most of ya will...well anyways judgin by the shit ive heard this will be gzas second best album ever....every track ive heard is just sick

JasonD
09-14-2005, 03:53 PM
Favourite Wu member is back, next up is GZA Presents... Dying for that too.

Opening - An intro, how good can it be? I like the beat a lot though. No rating for an Intro.

Those That's 'Bout It - This is pretty nice but ain't to nice replay-wise 7/10

Destruction of a Guard (Pop, Pop, Pop) - This song is fire, Raekwon and GZA are killer together, tell Kayne that "yoooou" sample is how you do it. - 8.7/10

Exploitation of Mistakes - This beat sounds so deep, this song is very deep. But I love this beat so much. A give you chills beat, great job by Muggs. Then the lyrics and GZA actually changes his voice a bit, something GZA isn't famous for. Great song. - 10/10

General Principles - People don't seem to be liking this song but this song is a hard beat but not the greatest lyrics and the bass outweighs the treble a bit much. But on the second GZA verse GZA comes dangerous. That is what makes this song real' nice. - 9/10

Advance Pawns (Royal) - This song is amazing, I love the sample "ATTENTION", RZA's first verse is so tight. Then GZA right after, trailing him at a perfect pace. But then when RZA goes again after the , his flow on the starting bar is SO AMAZING. It goes so well, makes me love this song and for people who heard this song I mean the bar that ends with RZA saying "Strings I conduct, you listen". Raekwon had a decent verse but it was quick and didn't roll with this superb beat to good. RZA's flow made this track one of the best on the CD. Big ups RZA. 10/10

Queen's Gambit (NFL) - Using all those football terms and teams. Pretty nice song, the lyrics are like Fame or Animal Planet. Same with the beat but to me something about this, like GZA maybe goes a bit to fast? Amazing lyrics and a nice fitting beat but not a fav song. 8.5/10

All In Together - Great tribute to ODB (RIP), great beat, gets a little bit repeatative (the beat) but a very nice song. Everything GZA spits in this is so true, he did a great job, deep song, perfect flow, it is great. - 9.5/10

Unstoppable Threats (Hip-Hop) - Pretty good song, good verses but Masta Killa gets the best verse on this. Beat ain't too special but pretty nice. Prodigal Sunn is amazing too. 8.5/10

Unprotected Pieces (Game Face) - This beat is pretty nice and it is so fitting when it starts getting more and more intense with GZA. Then it goes to the chorus with that crazy intense beat. Very nicely done song. 9.5/10

Illusory Protection (War Drumz) - GZA gets even more intense, from the last song, beat stays pretty intense too. Beat gets a little worse from last song, GZA gets a little better but still very well done. 9.5/10

Smothered Mates - Unlike what everyone else was saying this is a HEAVY song, the last three just get more and MORE intense. Then this is like the peak, the two things put together, great GZA lyrics and great beat. This song is very heavy and intense. Heaviest song on here, not friendly sounding and the lyrics are especially not friendly. Amazingly done how the last three just get more and more intense. Muggs and GZA are amazing. 10/10

Overall, I think this CD is AMAZING. First No Said Date, now this and I heard Trife and Ghost not bad either. Old Wu is back and just as tight. Only new album I need to hear is U-God's. The only problem with this CD is the length, not even 50 minutes, I say they need to throw on 2-3 more tracks THEN call this an album and call it a great one at that. Maybe get a couple more people on the CD too... Masta Killa, GZA and RZA track would be best, haha. 9/10

num2son
09-14-2005, 03:59 PM
^^^Nice review.

Lesbian Nun
09-14-2005, 07:54 PM
Masta Killas verse on unstoppable threats may be the best verse on the whole album...MK keeps improving every moment...

favorite song is Queen's Gambit because the shit is just so smooth, sounds like something erica badu would sing over, but just so smooth...

second favorite is smothered Mate...for right now anyways cause the beat is just hardcore and Gza has the sweetest hardcore chorus...

This is the Best album Since Wu-Tang Forever...

mic-cord-strangler
09-14-2005, 08:08 PM
This is the Best album Since Wu-Tang Forever...
wow to me that is a HUGE statement.. i hope when i buy the album i think so too!

Cm0ney
09-14-2005, 09:22 PM
it's definately better than supreme clientele to me

rzarectah
09-16-2005, 08:02 PM
^^ supreme clientele is better to me.....not to down this album at all tho.....this is a really great album, but its just shy of SC to me

O3EY
09-17-2005, 11:49 PM
some body needs to post up some songs off the album.

PHI.1.618
09-18-2005, 01:18 AM
I'm willing to trade "Grandmasters" for "Freedom of speech", whoever's interested PM me...

Oh & btw, this album = 9.5/10, ty & good bye ...

Seany
09-21-2005, 07:06 PM
Pretty nice album, Unstoppable threats is my favourite track(Beat wise anyway).. I'd give it 7/10. :)

MethodMan_BG
09-23-2005, 06:09 PM
i am somehow posting from a friend's account.. and i am too lazy to register myslef.. so i'm Drone:
i read the reviews... and i wondered.. "how can a 2005 album be regardet as an instant hiphop classic?!?!? wtf ?!" I thought that simply the guyz who wrote the reviews are too obsessed with Wu. I downloaded the album (forgive me Father, i've sinned !!!) and heard it. Once. Twice. its 01:00am and i am still listening. I was wrong. IT IS POSSIBLE !!! IT IS the BEST album ever !!! I still can't believe that some of the songs are 2005. I don't actually. I think this album was recorded somewhere back in 93-97 and released today :) hehe :) seriously, never expected something this great. GREAT ! DOPE ! simply GENIUS !!!! my favorite songs are: 05 - General Principles, 08 - All In Together, 10 - Unprotected Prices, 11 - Illusory Protection. Of course, the whole album is my favorite. Some of the songs never made it to the Liquid Swords CD, cause a lack of space (minutes) on the LS cd :D seriously, can't believe this is a 2005 album !!! Both LS and GrandMasters are my favorite GZA albums ever... I WILL BUY THIS CD FOR SURE, NO DOUBT, allthough it's not going to be sold in my country (can't find GZA in the Bulgarian CD shops, f*** it, i'm done..)
the best part is, GZA is coming in Bulgaria on 12/02/2005 - can't wait till December.. then i will buy the album an see GZA and Muggs live.. i don't think i'll survive the concert, wish me, and MethodMan_BG luck, we'll need it... ;) thank you

i rate this album 15/10 :) hell yeah. just listen to it. then BUY IT ! BUY IT ! yes, that's right, i said BUY IT !!!

double peace n respect for all who will do so..
c ya

THE W
09-23-2005, 07:42 PM
best album since forever??? equal to liquid swords????? is it REEEEALLY that good!!?????

09-23-2005, 07:50 PM
man ya'll need to shut up, i'mma hear this when i buy it

Frank Drebin
09-23-2005, 07:54 PM
best album since forever??? equal to liquid swords????? is it REEEEALLY that good!!?????
I couldnt handle it no mopre and i downloaded it but I will buy it when it comes out. The answer is no its not as good as Liquid Swords but it is a very good gza album just like every Gza album is very good. I would definately suggest buying it. It is very good but just something missing IMO. Maybe its Rza production lol. I would love to hear a Rza and Gza collab album

MethodMan_BG
09-23-2005, 09:23 PM
best album since forever??? equal to liquid swords????? is it
REEEEALLY that good!!?????
DRONE:
no, it was just an expression that the album is damn good... liquid swords is a little better of course :)
P.s. i registered a username named Drone but i still havent received an email to complete my registration so i cannnot post with mu Drone username, sorry :( what should i do ?

09-23-2005, 09:34 PM
talk to 36chambers about that, i think he's online right now

Chief 'Broom
09-23-2005, 09:54 PM
...patriotic hustlers that kill for presidents / conceal the truth but can’t hide the evidence / a man died holding some dice that he was shaking / had the Benz stocked but no valuables was taken / shot a 845 but he died at 9 / a video was the most precise witness to the crime

Jewels.. This is definitely the best music that Wu came through with since "No Said Date." And imma go ahead and say it's the greatest follow up album (dropping any time proceeding the original solo) since "Supreme Clientelle."

Drone
09-24-2005, 08:04 AM
finally i am logged and able to post ! :)
sorry for the bad english by the way

mic-cord-strangler
09-24-2005, 08:08 AM
aaaahhhh i cant wait for this shittt

bringoutthegimp
09-24-2005, 08:49 AM
here is the long awaited bringoutthegimp review:

1 - 9/10
2 - 7/10
3 - 9/10
4 - 9.5/10
5 - 8.5/10
6 - 9/10
7 - 10/10
8 - 8.5/10
9 - 9/10
10 - 6.5/10
11 - 8.5/10
12 - 8

Overall Rating - 8.5

shits fucking dope for sure, not a classic though, id place it in my top 5 of the year

Mjolnir
09-24-2005, 01:53 PM
this is liquid swords 2, same vibe.

Lesbian Nun
09-24-2005, 02:21 PM
i don't know where the "underating" is comming from...this album is beyond anything that's come out in years...

top 5 this year?? WTF album is better then this one?

it may not be better then liquid swords, but the shit is RIGHT THE FUCK UP there, and LS was before Wu forever and YES this album is the best album that's dropped from Wu SINCE forever...imo hands down better then Supreme clientele and no said date, heavy mental, anything you wanna compare it too...

ya wade it IS that good...

and i'm no gza dick rider, i just know the goods when i hear it...you'll be pumpin this shit for a very long time once you cop it...

Chief 'Broom
09-24-2005, 05:00 PM
I said it i meant it.

num2son
09-24-2005, 05:46 PM
this is liquid swords 2, same vibe.
Yeah maybe.

Drone
09-24-2005, 06:31 PM
i don't know where the "underating" is comming from...this album is beyond anything that's come out in years...

top 5 this year?? WTF album is better then this one?

it may not be better then liquid swords, but the shit is RIGHT THE FUCK UP there, and LS was before Wu forever and YES this album is the best album that's dropped from Wu SINCE forever...imo hands down better then Supreme clientele and no said date, heavy mental, anything you wanna compare it too...

ya wade it IS that good...

and i'm no gza dick rider, i just know the goods when i hear it...you'll be pumpin this shit for a very long time once you cop it...WORD !!!

mic-cord-strangler
09-25-2005, 07:19 AM
more reviews MORE REVIEWS

Paco_Mtl
09-28-2005, 01:25 PM
someone post some audio PLEASSE!!!

Oztradamus
09-29-2005, 03:31 PM
I love The Gza and Muggs (NO HOMO) but ya'll little kids kill me.. LOL

Check the Sig Bitchez...

Khaled
09-29-2005, 03:44 PM
to be honest man,ur signature doesnt imply everyone,somebody might think a certain album is a classic and another guy might think its not,its really all about opinion and taste.

Oztradamus
09-29-2005, 04:20 PM
to be honest man,ur signature doesnt imply everyone,somebody might think a certain album is a classic and another guy might think its not,its really all about opinion and taste.
Look up "Classic" In the dictionary kid.... I said it before and I'll say it again. There is no such thing as an "Instant Classic".. The Gza/Muggs album is Excellent, no doubt.. But to be calling it a classic is just too much. Wait at least 3-4 years see if peeps is still talking about it like it just came out for example... Illmatic, Cuban Linx, 36 Chamber, Doggystyle etc.. You get the picture... It's gotta be able to stand the test of time.

Lesbian Nun
09-29-2005, 07:05 PM
what you say makes sense but the cat is right cause i totally disagree with you....

shit's a classic, cause i love it, i don't love nothin but classics...fuck yall

09-29-2005, 07:06 PM
Look up "Classic" In the dictionary kid.... I said it before and I'll say it again. There is no such thing as an "Instant Classic".. The Gza/Muggs album is Excellent, no doubt.. But to be calling it a classic is just too much. Wait at least 3-4 years see if peeps is still talking about it like it just came out for example... Illmatic, Cuban Linx, 36 Chamber, Doggystyle etc.. You get the picture... It's gotta be able to stand the test of time.
exactly

Oztradamus
09-29-2005, 07:41 PM
exactly
Aiyo... That's Sig Material dunny...|)

Oztradamus
09-29-2005, 07:42 PM
what you say makes sense but the cat is right cause i totally disagree with you....

shit's a classic, cause i love it, i don't love nothin but classics...fuck yall
Okay, you're whole statement is an oxymoron.. You say I make sense, but you don't agree? LOL

Lesbian Nun
09-29-2005, 10:36 PM
well yes...it's possible to understand where yer comming from...but in the case of Grandmasters i think it is an instant classic...if material like supreme clientele is considered classic this shit is fucking classic cause it's much better...

Oztradamus
09-29-2005, 11:53 PM
well yes...it's possible to understand where yer comming from...but in the case of Grandmasters i think it is an instant classic...if material like supreme clientele is considered classic this shit is fucking classic cause it's much better...
Once again, SMH....

bringoutthegimp
09-30-2005, 05:50 AM
top 5 this year?? WTF album is better then this one? little brother
danger doom
kanye west
black market militia

mic-cord-strangler
09-30-2005, 08:55 AM
little brother and kanye albums better than grandmasters?? hahaha.. i guess i WONT be buying it then if thats true

Khaled
09-30-2005, 04:25 PM
man i dont care if an album is labelled a classic by people,for example if a "classic" album was given to u by a friend,and he tells u to listen to it,and u dont like it,then is it a classic to u?no.same thing man even when an album is not labelled a classic,if u like it and u think its a dope album then its a dope album,doesnt matter what others label it or either they call it a classic or not.

Dante
09-30-2005, 05:03 PM
Personal Classic to me. Fuck what anyone says

Oztradamus
09-30-2005, 05:09 PM
}:|

Points at sig once again..

Lesbian Nun
10-01-2005, 05:02 AM
little brother
danger doom
kanye west
black market militia

you gunna have to eat my nutz on that one son....

bringoutthegimp
10-01-2005, 05:46 AM
you gunna have to eat my nutz on that one son.... have you even heard any of the albums i mentioned?

Lesbian Nun
10-01-2005, 06:01 AM
HAHAHA^^^^^!! no i seriously haven't...i just chose to post out of my ass for no reason...

give us all a break yer killing me...

psyenz
10-01-2005, 11:11 AM
black market militia wasn't as good as i'd hoped, dangerdoom is shit hot but grandmasters is better. I haven't yet decieded if this or tragedy khadafi's new album is my favourite this year.
that said, i don't think the rhymes on grandmasters are as sharp as they were on both liquid swords albums.

Warcloud Ish
10-02-2005, 02:51 PM
This Album is 90s WU-TANG and will be heavily slept on by todays hip-hop audience....this is something for true wu-heads...shit is 2 dope, its to bad that this album will not be appreciated the way it should be.....best wu product since supreme clientele

Beggaz
10-02-2005, 05:45 PM
all i have to say is that people in all shapes and sizes of hip hop get to hear this, it better not sell 5 thousand copies.. it needs to break heads.

ShaolinDarts
10-06-2005, 04:24 AM
man i dont care if an album is labelled a classic by people,for example if a "classic" album was given to u by a friend,and he tells u to listen to it,and u dont like it,then is it a classic to u?no.same thing man even when an album is not labelled a classic,if u like it and u think its a dope album then its a dope album,doesnt matter what others label it or either they call it a classic or not.
Nope, an album is a classic if it fits into the definition of classic, regardless of whether you happen to like it or not. History labels cd's classic not you. If there is something that is a classic and you don't like it then thats your problem cuz its still a classic regardless. If something hasn't even been released yet and you label it a classic then again thats your problem cuz it is NOT a classic as history hasn't even written itself yet.

Learn to distinguish between personal preference and fact. You like or dislike something is personal preference, saying something is classic is not your personal preference - it MUST be fact.

Khaled
10-06-2005, 07:24 AM
What do u mean history labels albums classics?so an album has to be old to be called a classic?a new album cant be called a classic even if it is one because its a new release?man look if wu-tang put out an album now and it has the same dopeness of 36 chambers,i dont think u wil think twice about calling it a classic.

Paco_Mtl
10-06-2005, 05:14 PM
clas·sic (klăs'ĭk) http://content.answers.com/main/content/img/pron.gif
adj.

Belonging to the highest rank or class.

Literate Type Asshole
10-06-2005, 05:39 PM
let's end this argument simply: this album isn't a classic. period

Khaled
10-06-2005, 07:08 PM
opinions differ man.

Oztradamus
10-06-2005, 08:43 PM
:stroke:

num2son
10-06-2005, 09:32 PM
clas·sic (klăs'ĭk) http://content.answers.com/main/content/img/pron.gif
adj.

Belonging to the highest rank or class.

After three years and its still playing its a classic.

My First Timbs
10-07-2005, 01:14 AM
u guys are neglecting th emost often used definition of "classic".. this definition is the true issue!

Classic - adj

Having lasting significance or worth; enduring

Oztradamus
10-07-2005, 01:19 AM
^ I done said that plenty of times... Only some intelligent cats can understand that..

midGet
10-07-2005, 11:14 AM
dope album, first I thought this ain't gonna be good and only 12 tracks, but after listening to it, it slammed in my face. Pure Material. Muggs dropped dope beats, GZA his brilliant lyrics. 10/10

Lesbian Nun
10-07-2005, 06:49 PM
classic ; something that endurs the relentless pounding of my fist in your fuckin head...

10-07-2005, 06:53 PM
u guys are neglecting th emost often used definition of "classic".. this definition is the true issue!

Classic - adj

Having lasting significance or worth; enduring
exactly, meaning only after a signifigant amount of time will we be able to determine that. So we will have to wait and see. Doesn't stop a album from being fuckin nice but it's not classic yet

ShaolinDarts
10-08-2005, 05:26 AM
What do u mean history labels albums classics?so an album has to be old to be called a classic?a new album cant be called a classic even if it is one because its a new release?man look if wu-tang put out an album now and it has the same dopeness of 36 chambers,i dont think u wil think twice about calling it a classic.Nope I wouldn't label a Wu album a classic if it was released today and was a s good as 36 chambers. I'm not too bothered with calling an album a classic. Whats with you trying to label an album a classic?

And yes it is history that would define an album a classic. If the album isn't significant to the history of the music genre then it's pritty much irrelevant to the genre itself so it isn't really a classic as it has had no impact.

Khaled
10-08-2005, 07:18 AM
maybe ur right man,i dont know,common's be was released this year and alot of people called it a classic.

ShaolinDarts
10-08-2005, 09:25 AM
Thats definately not a classic. People not too familiar with anything beyond the last few years are used to poor standards so anything half decent (and I wouldn't even call common's album that) is labeled a classic. There are only a handful of albums each year that could be classic (and for a handful to be classic it would have to be an extraodinary year) with the rest just being good. But the way things are nowadays anything with a hit single and the right producer is automatically classic.

Oztradamus
10-08-2005, 09:43 AM
Preach on Shaolin, but 9th Wonder and I've said it before.. Numerous cats can co-sign you.. It's true alot of garbage is released in nowadays, anything that sounds remotely good or decent, is labeled a classic... SMH/(

ShaolinDarts
10-08-2005, 10:08 AM
Preach on Shaolin, but 9th Wonder and I've said it before.. Numerous cats can co-sign you.. It's true alot of garbage is released in nowadays, anything that sounds remotely good or decent, is labeled a classic... SMH/(
In addition to the garbage its also important to note that its much harder for even a very very good album to reach classic status anyway due to the structure of hip hop. Even if an album is exceptionally put together and has all the ingredients, it still faces the challenge of actually making an impact. Making an impact is actually very hard nowadays as the methods used to make an impact in themselves often lead to a fall in the level of the other variables required for classic status.

An emcee who sets out to make a good album must find himself a label with good distribution and these labels usually require some kind of compromise on the 2-3 tracks to be put out as marketing. The majority of artists loose out there. On the independent scene, labels are now notoriously commercialised in themselves. They don't make tracks like 'In da club' etc but they make outwardly gangster or underground tracks to try and attract the people bored of girl talk. These types of tracks, like the mainstream tracks, have a nice sound to them put are lacking substance. This again puts the artist in a bad position. Now if an artist is to escape the pressures of the above then he must set able to find the perfect situation and actually be clever enough as a business man and not just an emcee. Not everyone is an Immortal Technique or Cormega (and even they would struggle to have albums that could be called a classic as time goes on) so its not a common thing, especially at the moment.

It is for these reasons that I laugh at the amount of 'classic' around today. Most of the good albums never did anything as they never surfaced enough to have an impact and most of the success stories are trash sold to kids. I doubt anything will really be a classic this year, may be a few can reach cult status but a small following is the best I would think.

Paco_Mtl
10-09-2005, 06:51 PM
the point were tryin to make is that classic can ALSO mean something with a lot of "class" in this case gza did bring it back with that raw old school wu-ish sound that's just CLASSIC!

kid cal
10-09-2005, 07:02 PM
a must have.

thirdworld
10-11-2005, 05:18 PM
cant wait two more weeks !!!!!!! yea dat

Zakius ©
10-11-2005, 08:19 PM
Ha, i dl'ed this the other day, thinking it was just an unreleased LP cause i never heard of it... didn't know it was gonna be released

i like the album, some of the beats coulda banged harder, but it was dope...

9DiagramPhoenix
10-11-2005, 08:21 PM
i listen to GAR more than this

its aight im a fan of better drums

wu needs to revitalize the 93-97 circa aggression

Zakius ©
10-11-2005, 08:25 PM
Ha, i dl'ed this the other day, thinking it was just an unreleased LP cause i never heard of it... didn't know it was gonna be released

i like the album, some of the beats coulda banged harder, some of the beats sounded like MUGGZ's just had them laying around but never used...

deadlymelody
10-11-2005, 11:46 PM
Thats definately not a classic. People not too familiar with anything beyond the last few years are used to poor standards so anything half decent (and I wouldn't even call common's album that) is labeled a classic. There are only a handful of albums each year that could be classic (and for a handful to be classic it would have to be an extraodinary year) with the rest just being good. But the way things are nowadays anything with a hit single and the right producer is automatically classic.

Album hasnt even been released. Chill the hell out by the thinkage of you being right.

thirdworld
10-12-2005, 05:20 AM
i like the record an thank god some ones making dope grimmy dark beats wit dope lyrics !!!! true art ...

Bungle
10-12-2005, 07:25 AM
this album was shit, simple as....

Gza sounds bored as hell on every track, Muggs beats were wack, like he was trying too hard to make dark grimey old Wu type beats, wack as hell. on paper the album should've been dope, its a dope combination......before they actually got in studio, third world & fat lady sings were dope, and thats the type of shit i was expectin, they just didnt deliver.

i'm sorry to Gza & Muggs, but it was a bullshit album....

have u noticed aswell, the more that the clansmen step away from wu producers, the worse they get ?? i really do think they need Rza to guide them, not neccesarily to produce the whole shit, but to guide & oversee the projects they do.

ShaolinDarts
10-12-2005, 07:29 AM
Album hasnt even been released. Chill the hell out by the thinkage of you being right.
Learn to read

Lesbian Nun
10-12-2005, 04:07 PM

Gza sounds bored as hell on every track, Muggs beats were wack, like he was trying too hard to make dark grimey old Wu type beats, wack as hell. on paper the album should've been dope, its a dope combination......before they actually got in studio, third world & fat lady sings were dope, and thats the type of shit i was expectin, they just didnt deliver.

have u noticed aswell, the more that the clansmen step away from wu producers, the worse they get ?? i really do think they need Rza to guide them, not neccesarily to produce the whole shit, but to guide & oversee the projects they do.

I can't believe you would say such things about this album, i sometimes wonder if people actually heard the "grandmasters" album...the shit is off the fuckin wall crazy...

thirdworld
10-12-2005, 05:26 PM

i think you do not have a clue an really dont get it bungle the nobody but good luck in your ili life bungle ...ha ha ha

Bungle
10-12-2005, 08:27 PM
are you people serious, did you not hear how bored Gza sounded on those tracks ?? i know his style is kinda laid back, but he sound like he really didnt want to be there, he sound shockingly bored, like he'd rather be sat at home watching tv....bored. lyrics were good, dont get it twisted, but he sounded bored shitless.

muggs beats were.....meh, whatever, it sounded like he was trying to hard to make something that had a early wu tang feel and it just wasnt there..

i HAVE heard the album, i do know what i'm talking about, i do have a clue, i've been listeng to wu tang since before people really knew anything about them over here. if u like the album, cool, thats your opinion, personally i dont like it. like i said, the idea of that collabo is brilliant, but it flopped, sorry.

finally to Third World.......what the fuck does my social status have to do with Gza & Muggs making a bullshit album ?? who the fuck are you ??

peace

Razorsharp
10-12-2005, 08:29 PM
im waiting for the LP to be released but from what ive heard so far.... d0pe

Lesbian Nun
10-12-2005, 08:42 PM
are you people serious, did you not hear how bored Gza sounded on those tracks ?? i know his style is kinda laid back, but he sound like he really didnt want to be there, he sound shockingly bored, like he'd rather be sat at home watching tv....bored. lyrics were good, dont get it twisted, but he sounded bored shitless.

muggs beats were.....meh, whatever, it sounded like he was trying to hard to make something that had a early wu tang feel and it just wasnt there..

i HAVE heard the album, i do know what i'm talking about, i do have a clue, i've been listeng to wu tang since before people really knew anything about them over here. if u like the album, cool, thats your opinion, personally i dont like it. like i said, the idea of that collabo is brilliant, but it flopped, sorry.

finally to Third World.......what the fuck does my social status have to do with Gza & Muggs making a bullshit album ?? who the fuck are you ??

peace

weirdo...

Eerie Theories
10-12-2005, 08:47 PM
"Half these rap lyrics aint thought provoked/ just a lot of beef till they get caught in smoke/ but the problem was never pured (or cured i cant tell) on top of that/ most of them be swinging wild and then drop the bat/"

How can any one hate on this album..

Marc051
10-14-2005, 04:34 AM
All you haters are f*ked in the head to say that this is wack

deadlymelody
10-15-2005, 12:58 PM
Im fucking amped to buy this. I might get 2 copies. October 25th!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wampus
10-17-2005, 03:36 PM
in 1 weeeeekkkkkkkkkkkkk !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

num2son
10-17-2005, 09:25 PM
All you haters are f*ked in the head to say that this is wack
Leave those in a world of.............:nerdy:

Ironman Starks
10-17-2005, 09:34 PM
you mean swordsman right

Ironman Starks
10-17-2005, 09:37 PM
weirdo...
you got owned..

and gza does sounds bored but its not a flop

its just overhyped.

im more amped over a new meth cd but even so i better here better bass lines and sampling than what rza has been doing.

deadlymelody
10-18-2005, 05:37 PM
One Week

Lesbian Nun
10-19-2005, 02:34 AM
you got owned..

and gza does sounds bored but its not a flop

its just overhyped.

im more amped over a new meth cd but even so i better here better bass lines and sampling than what rza has been doing.

I got "owned" ?????

that guy had a no good oppinion, completely bias in every shape and form...(as is mine), but mine is not a fucking dick's oppinion...that guy was being a fucking dick...

own my overhyped cock bitch...

thirdworld
10-23-2005, 11:57 AM
9out of 10 a must buy

crass
10-25-2005, 08:43 PM
This Cd Is Fuckign Awesome!! Gza Sounds More Energetic Than He's Been In Years (some Tracks Are Purposely Somber)

His Flow Is On Point, And The Beats Are Fucking Great!

I Don't Know If It's A 10/10 But It's Definitely Catchy, Memorable And Intriguing.

Fuckign Buy This If Yu Downloaded It!!

kingelijah
10-26-2005, 03:53 AM
I think this is GZA`s best work because the man gets better witn age. GZA `s metaphor`s are ver straight foward. Much like a mix of all his albums in one. He is enjoy this shit for real...

num2son
10-26-2005, 09:42 AM
I wish there were more songs on it.

THE W
10-26-2005, 09:57 AM
Gza and muggz do a great job on this album. dont know what some are talkin when they say he's bored. on some songs he subdued but thats his usual tone. could've been longer but gza albums are never that long anyway.

queens gambit is a new one for gza. first time since words from the genuis where he raps about having an encounter with a female. it gets somewhat graphic.

i think the album could've been mastered a bit better. sometimes it was hard to make out the lyrics over the beat. overall this album shits all over LOTLS and is right there with BTS. it is NO liquid swords but i wasnt expecting that anyway despite the hype this album was getting on this forum.

9/10

mic-cord-strangler
10-26-2005, 10:00 AM
good to see a review from you wade, as i know you have been aniticpatin this. i still have to wait propbably 2 weeks til its in stores here :(.... but good to see you like it

num2son
10-26-2005, 10:06 AM
Gza and muggz do a great job on this album. dont know what some are talkin when they say he's bored. on some songs he subdued but thats his usual tone. could've been longer but gza albums are never that long anyway.

queens gambit is a new one for gza. first time since words from the genuis where he raps about having an encounter with a female. it gets somewhat graphic.

i think the album could've been mastered a bit better. sometimes it was hard to make out the lyrics over the beat. overall this album shits all over LOTLS and is right there with BTS. it is NO liquid swords but i wasnt expecting that anyway despite the hype this album was getting on this forum.

9/10
CO-SIGN

Dante
10-26-2005, 10:27 AM

9/10
WORD!

That's exactly how i feel about this album. I like it more than LOTLS, but can't decide if i like it more than BTS. Good review man

DNasteee
10-26-2005, 11:05 AM
I actually feel that it shits all over BTS too....best since Liquid Swords...and not drastically behind that album either. This album is also better than any WU release in a few years. But that's just my opinion.
Maybe a few more Wu Fam appearances would have bumped it to Liquid sword status for me..but that's really just nit-picking on my part...I honestly have no complaints about this album and I do not feel the need to skip over any songs.
Matter of fact I actually skip songs on the Liquid Swords, but I rate Liquid Swords higher b/c if you take the standout songs on Liquid Swords, they beat the standout songs on Grandmasters....

I think this album will ultimately be able to fit into that "classic" status along with the early Wu releases, but time will tell. It won't sell like early WU sold, but that's more a reflection on the state of hiphop and not the quality of this album.

Tai Ji
10-26-2005, 11:19 AM
Pure hip-hop right here
thanks to muggs and Gza , they bring us back to the good old days
To me, it's a masterpiece, i'm not really surprised, even if i don't really like the last Genius album.
And for the ones who think it's too short...12 tracks, 12 jewelz... better than 20 tracks, 20 bullshits, no ?

P.E.A.C.E.

Yeah, i'm listening to WT meets the Indie Culture : dope too !
after the MK great album, the Wu is coming back with quality sounds. I can die now.... lol

crass
10-26-2005, 11:52 AM
i agree that this album is better than beneath the surface, the production of which was too slick for my tastes

num2son
10-26-2005, 11:52 AM
LOL.....Congradulations ^^^^

thirdworld
10-27-2005, 02:05 AM
Dope As Hell Every Ones Needs To Hear This

Darkmindedprince
10-27-2005, 10:58 PM
Its a great cd, everything about it is tight but i think Gza lacks a lil voice motion like he sounds more calm then normally... sort of like effortless....i dunno if i'm the only who noticed that, but yeah the cd is real dope though!!!!

RynMur
10-27-2005, 11:35 PM
There are so many good tracks on this album. I've switched to a new favorite just about everyday, now im really feelin "Exploitation Of Mistakes"

Lesbian Nun
10-28-2005, 03:33 AM

9/10

aaahaha, he's lying...

10-28-2005, 07:21 AM
the album is on some real shit, fuck a review.

WU TANG FOREVER, MUTHAFUCKAS!!

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b267/zer02/other%20shit/73fe6872.jpg

pecker2832
10-28-2005, 03:00 PM
dj muggz vs gza is the greatest wu tang lp to be realeased since forever(97) and the best hip hop record ive heard since stillmatic(2001). i dig all tha tracks and muggz makes sick dark beats that go perfect with gza style, his beats remind me of rza in 93-97.this is the gza album i've been waiting on since liquid swords.everyones gonna think i crazy for saying this but i actually fell the beats more than liquid swords. while gza's voice is not as powerful as liquid swords and the intro and interlubes arent as cool the genius still drops knoweledge. this record couldnt have dropped at a better time besides because hip hop current shitty state but also because an album this dark is pefect for devils holiday halloween i know i'll pop it in at all the partys.
my favorite tracks on grandmasters are general priciples, destructions of a guard, unprotected pieces,and illusory protection(remind me of cypress beats on black sunday). this another clan classic and a must not only for any clan man also any real hip hop fan. im giving this lp 5 mics even though the bull fuckin source will end up only giving it 3.5.

(ps i hope muggz drops a beat on the next wu lp gza,meth,and ugod would be perfect for beats similar to grandmasters.)

Eerie Theories
10-28-2005, 06:26 PM
This album is hip-hop in its purest form

GENERAL WISE
10-28-2005, 11:37 PM
if NSD was 8.5/10,
I give this a 8.6

ShaolinDarts
10-29-2005, 03:50 AM
9/10. Even better than I thought it would be. This album might be short in length but the amount of multi layered lyrics packed in will have the listener glued to the album for a long time. Each song has been been carefully crafted and while it may have taken only 8 days to record there isn't anything left to chance here.

One point that needs to be noted is that prior to the album release all that was said about this cd was that Gza is lazy and shows no emotion. I don't get this. What did people expect that he would be crying over Exploitation of Mistakes? He says it how it is.

GENERAL WISE
10-29-2005, 04:34 PM
One point that needs to be noted is that prior to the album release all that was said about this cd was that Gza is lazy and shows no emotion. I don't get this. What did people expect that he would be crying over Exploitation of Mistakes? He says it how it is.^^yea

deadlymelody
10-29-2005, 09:19 PM
You know, 2005 didn't see a whole lot of Wu generals in action. Some Killa Beez released albums, with mixed opinions. U-God dropped a solo CD that was very forgettable. This album arrives at a very, very good time. Released not even two weeks after Wu Tang Meets Indie Culture, the GZA releases his 5th solo album. Featuring full production from the legendary, forgotten about producer, DJ Muggs. Muggs' production is very reminiscent to the gritty, raw style that the Wu Tang made famous. This tandem of GZA and DJ Muggs proved to be a perfect match as the two of them released, most likely the album of the year to some, and unquestionably the album of the year to me, the week of Halloween.

Opening-NA-Can't rate an intro with no verses, but the beat on this intro is absolutely fire. I love the crowd noise, and the mixing of DJ Muggs and GZA. It's a good way to start an album with a great beat.

Those That's Bout It-5/5-This beat is one of the best on the album. It's truly great to hear with the system to rev up. GZA comes in, a much more laid back, perfectly flowing delivery. You will never hear a bad verse from GZA. It's actually been proven impossible.

Destruction of a Guard-5/5-Excellent. A firey beat, and a hard chorus brought to you by Raekwon. This time GZA sounds upbeat, sounding determined to get his voice heard. This sounds, to me, the GZA you heard on Forever. His flow is much the same to me. This beat reminds me of Ice Water, with the "Ahhhh"s, and "Ooooo"s. A great song.

Exploitation of Mistakes-5/5-This might be the best overall beat on the album. It couldn't fit the meaning of the song any better. A sad, mourningful piano loop with a depressing sample. It's absolutely and completely perfectly done. GZA fits the beat correctly as well. He sounds like this happened to him and he's rhyming his heart out. A perfect way to do a sad song like this.

General Principles-5/5-Oh my geez. This is that upbeat shit you wanted to hear from GZA. This is the beat that reminds you of that grittiness the Wu rhymed over. GZA is basically saying that he's the best out there, and do not ever fuck with him. I know that you cannot mess with him on this song. A banging song, great to blast in the car it sounds better the louder you play it. I would know, I just gave my speakers a work out with this one.

Advanced Pawns-4/5-That organ beat takes time to get used to, but this is a dope beat. The highlight of this album is the chemitry that RZA, GZA, and Raekwon have. It pays to know each other since you were kids. You just know how to work together. I love RZA's flow and words in this song, I don't think he's lost a step. Plus, GZA flows greatly with the song and has great verses. I won't forget Raekwons verse, he did his thing, sounding on some Cuban Linx shit.

Queen's Gambit-5/5-Another beat done perfectly to match with the type of song. This is what GZA does best is these type of songs. As we all know, he uses all the NFL teams (exempt Falcons), to tell a love story. No other MC out there can do something like this, and GZA has done it numerous times. This is what puts him in the elite class of all time greats.

All In Together Now-5/5-Great song. I love the fast guitar beat. Some people hate guitar beats but this is done very well. This is dedicated to the late great ODB and the lyrics are awesome. ODB would be proud and we all wish that great man were still on this earth. Beat maybe gets repetitive.

Unstoppable Threats-5/5-My favorite song on the album. This is perfect, there simply is no flaw. GZA's flow is remarkable to me. The voice indeec has changed from 10 years ago, where he would shout out lyrics with fierce. Minus the anger in his voice, he hasn't changed one bit. Prodigal Sunn is an underrated killa bee and I am very glad he got on this album, he deserved it. Masta Killa drops a great verse, proving for the past few years he simply has been the best in the clan. He's only gotten better. He has that original rhyme style that no one can do as effectively. Anyone who would try his rhyme style would sound terrible, but he sounds magnificent.

Unprotected Pieces-4/5-A very nice beat with the violins. The beat is crazy, a lot of stuff going on. I don't think GZA really knew what to do with this beat. I thought he should have been very quick, delivering smoke. He went with the slower flow, which still works nice, but could have been better. A good song, but I don't like the girl sample in the chorus too much.

Illusionary Protection-5/5-Awesome drums. The drums are crazy. Premier couldn't have done it better, and he's known as a drum master. GZA sounds like he's angry and I like it a lot. This is a dope song, but in the chorus I don't like the guitar, which is used in Advanced Pawns. This is still an amazing song.

Smothered Mate-3/5-Ok, I don't really like the beat as much. It's probably my least favorite song on the album, but it's GZA and GZA never disappoints. I would have ended the album with a different song. It's unfair to say this is the worst song on the album, because every other song is crazy.

So to finish, I'll say that this is the album the Wu Tang fans needed. We needed an album that reminded us of what the generals can still do. Just give them dope beats, and you're going to create some incredible material. I have much love for DJ Muggs for blessing us with the production, and much love to the GZA for keeping it real. Like he says "I do it for the heart, and not for the charts." GZA, you are the GOAT man, keep it real for all of the Wu heads.

9.5/10 Edited to 8.5/10 the replay value on this CD isnt as great as I thought it would be once I got it

num2son
10-29-2005, 09:26 PM
.....You will never hear a bad verse from GZA. It's actually been proven impossible.

9.5/10
:cool:

dat MF
10-30-2005, 04:56 AM
very nice album, gza's flow should be better, muggs production is good

7/10

mic-cord-strangler
10-30-2005, 10:39 AM
very nice review deadlymelody.. i think im the only motherfucker on this board who hasnt heard the ablum yet. and i kow that WHEN i get it.. its gonna be fuckin crazy
muggs alwyas been in my top 3 producers and gza is the fuckin illest out there

Stic.man4president?
10-30-2005, 01:26 PM
^^no ur not the only one
I still have to wait 1.5 week

Shin Densetsu
10-31-2005, 07:52 PM
You know, I had my doubts about this album, I previewed some tracks weeks before I stepped into plan 9 at the campus bookstore and copped it. When I did cop it, I was amazed at how much better it turned out. As with Gza's albums after liquid swords, it is rather short, but it is short and sweet! There is not a wack song on here, some of them I skip since they are laid back but all in all they are not wack ya know>? I was expecting worse, but I am satisfied with this, I honestly think this is his best LP since liquid swords, beneath the surface was good but was too laid back for me, legend of liquid swords was going in different directions, but this album is just solid, much like liquid swords. Takes me back to the old days, I love the dusted beats, and hearing Rza rip it like he used to back in the day, and raekwon on some songs is pretty nice. Some of the songs are just straight up heaters, mad intense and all. And I absolutely love advanced pawns! I think part of the reason this is so solid is because Gza stuck to one producer for this one, the last time he did this was on liquid swords. So all in all the comparisons are inevitable, but either way this is a GREAT followup, one of the must haves of the year, and the FIRST Gza album SINCE liquid swords that I have been able to loop continously over and over again!

I think this shows that for his next LP's Gza should either limit the amount of producers or stick to just 1. I say either have Bronze Nazarreth, True Masta, 4h Disciple. and Rza, DJ MUggs, OR straight up LP's strictly with either Rza or Muggs. Or just a LP with production from rza and muggs, they can call it grandmastas of chessboxin' or something like that.

Lesbian Nun
11-01-2005, 03:58 PM
Masta Killa drops a great verse, proving for the past few years he simply has been the best in the clan. He's only gotten better. He has that original rhyme style that no one can do as effectively. Anyone who would try his rhyme style would sound terrible, but he sounds magnificent.

9.5/10
that's exactly what i always been saying...some people say MK got the weakest flow and barely knows where the beat is when he raps...that shit is pure fucking crazy that people would say that, i'd say MK has the best verse on that album...

Ninja men blended in with tha surroudin...

deadlymelody
11-01-2005, 09:40 PM
that's exactly what i always been saying...some people say MK got the weakest flow and barely knows where the beat is when he raps...that shit is pure fucking crazy that people would say that, i'd say MK has the best verse on that album...

Ninja men blended in with tha surroudin...
Exactly. That Ninja men line is amazing. Great verse.

Dr Zayus
11-02-2005, 07:51 AM
I love this album much more now. It's a grower. Up there with NSD - 9/10.

Dante
11-02-2005, 09:53 AM
Masta Killa was very good on "Unstoppable Threats" maybe even the best verse on that song, but the whole album? Come on man, not even close...in my opinion at least. Just thought i'd drop my 2 cents on that.

PJ FlemFlam
11-02-2005, 03:37 PM
haven't heard it but the lookz of it,itz straight,peace to the clan,oh yeah i didn't like that track he did fo gza on the legend etc,but i don't know some of his beatz don't appeal to me,they'll grow know harm done to his fans,i'm still a gza fan though 1

Lesbian Nun
11-02-2005, 03:42 PM
Masta Killa was very good on "Unstoppable Threats" maybe even the best verse on that song, but the whole album? Come on man, not even close...in my opinion at least. Just thought i'd drop my 2 cents on that.
i actually just like hearing Masta Killa more then Gza...i like his flow and voice more...but lyrically he could never match Gza but now he's gettin up there, and his flow has just taken off like a missile...he's pure fire...

Marc051
11-03-2005, 05:42 AM
1) Those That's About It - 5/5

2) Destruction of a Guard 5/5

3) Exploitation of Mistakes 5/5

4) General Principles 5/5

5) Advance Paws 6/5

6) Queen's Gambit4.5/5

7) All In Together Now 5/5

8) Unstoppable Threats - 6/5

9) Unprotected Pieces - 4/5

10) Illusionary Protection - 5/5

11) Smothered Mate - 5/5

Finally got my own copy. Every song is bangin, there's 2 or 3 that are magnificent and 2 that are good but a little weak compared to the rest of the album. This is a classic and it is better than No Said Date but it didn't have the same effect as Supreme Clientle, so it fits nicely right in-between them..

Prince Rai
11-06-2005, 12:11 PM
got the album,

love the album, its a classic in its own right!

Marc051
11-08-2005, 07:28 AM
A week later and still listening to it...classic material

thirdworld
11-10-2005, 01:31 AM
grndmasters #1

RageSeven
11-10-2005, 02:37 AM
THIS ALBUM IS INCREADIBLE!!!

Thank you to DJ MUGGS and the almighty Gza for coming like that in 2005...
we missed you a lot and thank you to the mighty mighty Wu-Tang Clan

As Gza says on Grandmasters... "Them Clansmen are the nucleus of Hip-Hop"

And btw... Give MUGGS his props, its about that time, if you still don't know...

J-DON
02-13-2006, 06:22 PM
Opening

Very Dramatic opening, gets you in the mood for something extremely dope! You hear this and you think YES THIS ALBUM IS GOING TO MELT MY FACE OFF... and then

Those thats bout it...
GZA sounding like hes fucked up on nyquil here... the lyrics are up to par with GZA standards... the beat is kinda ill if a little bit annoying after a bit. I like the chorus. GZA shoulda re-recorded the vocals. Had a potential to be an 8/10 but its like a 7.5 cuz dude sounds drowzy on this upbeat track.

7.5/10 ... decent track to pop off the album

Destruction of a Guard
DOPE muggs track, Rae on the Chorus is dope. GZA sounds a bit more lively on this one here.

Gotta give this one at least a 8.5/10

Exploitation of Mistakes

My lid flipped instantly when I heard this track. I put it on repeat for like an hour and a half after i finished the album. Vivid imagery! This is CSI rap right here!

10/10

General Principles...

Absolute burner! Smooth ass but gully headnodding beat! GZA spits flames! Tied with Exploitation for best song on the album.

10/10

Advanced Pawns

One of my favourites on the album. Beat is Majestic RZA KILLS IT (i havent heard RZA kill something in ages).. everything about this track is dope another STRONG song from this album.

9/10

Queens Gambit...

Beat is nice n smooth, Wordlplay is crazy.

8.5/10

All in together now

... what can I say, im really not feeling this track at all. The GZA reminiscing on ODB so i guess i SHOULD love it... Lyrics are nice but it doesnt sound like he put his heart into spitting it on the track.. he wakes up a little on the second verse but by then its too late. The beat is boring it sounds like the intro to a beat that never starts. It kinda picks up when he switches up the drums... this one needs a remix because it kills the momentum that the album had from the first half of bangers.

5/10

Unstoppable Threats

Pretty good beat. GZA, Masta, and P.Sunn sound good, chorus is pretty dope. All around a good track... doesnt really bring the album back from All In together now though

7.5/10

Unprotected Peices

Another pretty good track but nothing really amazing. Love the dark and epic beat... but for some reason the track doesnt catch my ear as much as earlier tracks.

8/10

Illusory Protection

DOPE
8.5/10

Smothered Mate

This another pretty good-decent track. Reminds me of Final Fight/Street Fighter music for some reason.

7/10

SYNOPSIS

This is a really good album. Starts off really strong but after hitting a slump at "all in together now" it doesnt really recover cuz all the best songs are finished already. The last three tracks sound too similar IMO which kinda makes the album drag on at the end as well which for a 40 min album is kinda weird... Another thing i thought id point out is that alot of the beats are very repetitive loops.. sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt.

The album is a solid 8/10 off the strength of the the first half of it. If the track order was different it would be a better listen the whole way through.

deadlymelody
02-13-2006, 08:50 PM
Not even kidding, before every basketball game this year, i've blasted General Principles. That song gets you hyped.

ShaolinDarts
02-14-2006, 10:59 AM
Its been a while since this cd dropped and I am still enjoying it just as much. Right now Smothered Mate is on repeat.

King Callabah
02-14-2006, 11:01 AM
Advanced Pawns = the best fuckin wu song since.........AAAAAAAGGGGESS ago, this is fuckin RAWWWWISM

GENERAL WISE
02-14-2006, 04:54 PM
Lyrics: 87% (GZA too calm, but still GZA)
Beats: 75% (Some were great some were annoying as fuck<WOMAN ALWAYS SCREAMING>)

Overall : 81% 8/10 good album

GENERAL WISE
03-14-2006, 12:28 AM
Now that it has been some time since Grandmasters was released and has (hopefully grown on you). Has your opinion changed?

Personally i like it better a little.

81->84%
making it a a strong 8/10 (or 8.5)

The Lost Prophet
03-14-2006, 12:49 AM
yea i say 8.5 is a perfect rating for grandmasters. thats his only album that i dont say is a classic

Rebel_INS
03-14-2006, 12:59 AM
1.Opening
2.Those Thats Bout It - 4.5/5
3.Destruction Of A Guard - 5/5
4.Exploitation Of Mistakes - 5/5
5.General Principles - 5/5
6.Advance Pawns - 5/5
7.Queens Gambit - 5/5
8.All In Together Now - 5/5
9.Unstoppable Threats - 4.5/5
10.Unprotected Pieces - 5/5
11.Illusory Protection - 5/5
12.Smothered Mate - 4.5/5

GENERAL WISE
03-14-2006, 01:27 AM
yea i say 8.5 is a perfect rating for grandmasters. thats his only album that i dont say is a classic

are you serious, You like legends over Grandmasters?

NIGHT MAYOR
03-14-2006, 01:33 AM
i did'nt DL it and only got it in feb i loved it straight away, but that may have something to do with me loving Cypress Hizzy for years *shrugs*

Longbongcilvaringz
03-14-2006, 01:44 AM
9/10. i think it has grown on me.

ShaolinDarts
03-14-2006, 03:40 AM
9/10. Love this album. This and No Said Date are the cd's I listen to to remind me that Wu is very much here and still dope!!!!!

supremecharma
03-14-2006, 03:53 AM
i did'nt DL it and only got it in feb i loved it straight away, but that may have something to do with me loving Cypress Hizzy for years *shrugs*

^^^^^im feelin that dawg!!!

supremecharma
03-14-2006, 03:57 AM
sayin that fredy mech, i take uve heard psycho realm's stuff???

SlightlySlightedFan
03-14-2006, 09:07 PM
I don't get it. I liked from this album from the jump.

Ironman Starks
03-14-2006, 09:25 PM
are you serious, You like legends over Grandmasters?

Legends > Grandmasters

you cats ride GZA too much

THE W
03-14-2006, 09:59 PM
merged

venex
03-15-2006, 07:45 AM
Legends > Grandmasters

you cats ride GZA too much

legend of the liquid swords was the worst album by GZA, didn't really liked it just 4-5 songs were bangin'...

grandmasters was def good.

WTJ
03-18-2006, 06:46 PM
I give this album a 8/10 it's a good throwback Muggs makes great beats.
Besides this release I dont think GZA has released a solid release since Liquid Swords just my opinion.

leaguer1
03-24-2006, 04:37 PM
GZA yet again builds a trust that he will deliver good music no matter what year the calendar or his birth certificate says. Teaming with Muggs is a success. There are no bad songs on this album. Muggs makes it sound like a wu-tang record; which is no small feat.

"General Principles" takes us back to the early 90's, which is a nice journey to go back to. "All in Together Now" is a fitting tribute to ODB.

Other standouts are wu bangas "Advance Pawns" and "Unstoppable Threats"

The highlight in the album for me is the cherry on top that is the ending to this album. From "Unprotected Pieces" to "Illusory Protection" to "Smothered Mate", GZA gives us hard hitting bangas that leave us fiending for more. This album is a standup triple!

Dante
03-25-2006, 08:23 PM
Just thought i would say that General Principles is just too god damn sick. Ben listenong to that song alot lately; it's definetly one of the greatest GZA/Wu tracks in a long ass time

Erquel
04-04-2006, 04:19 AM
here's my little review
1) Opening 9/10
Nice to hear Meth on that joint)
2) Those That's Bout It 10/10
Dope album intro track. Muggs is crazy.
3) Destruction Of A Guard 9.7/10
Great Gza/Raekwon collabo. We should get used to that, coz as said gza is taking big part in obfcl2
4) Exploitation Of Mistakes 10/10
Gza's lyrical sword is soooo sharp. The best storrytelling i've geard in 2005
5) General Principles 9.8/10
Gza's look at hip-hop + Muggs beat = banga
6) Advanced Pawns 8/10
Don' really like it's beat. But i'm glad to hear 3 Wu soldiers o one track.
7) Queen's Gambit 10/10
Gza had to to this kind of track. It's some kind of signature/
8) All In Together Now 11/10
Tribute to ODB(R.I.P.).The best joint on the album. Beat is great. That's how wu should sound.
9) Unstoppable Threats 10/10
Prodigal Sunn kills it imo.
10) Unprotected Pieces 9/10
Last 3 tracks are grimey and dark. i like it)
11) Illusory Protection 8/10
dope dope dope)
12) Smoothered Mate 10/10
It's really smoothered. and like in chess it's great mate. perfect track to finish the album
----------------------------------------------------------------------
bottom line
9.7/10
Muggs is on fire. I didn't expect this kind of beats from him.
When it comes to the lyrics, Gza is the sharpest mothef*cka in the game.
and i'm not afraid to call it
CLASSIC

Luther Large
04-06-2006, 02:04 PM
9/10. Love this album. This and No Said Date are the cd's I listen to to remind me that Wu is very much here and still dope!!!!!

agree

12weLvE
04-07-2006, 11:08 AM
Those That Bout It: 4.5/5
Destruction Of A Guard: 5/5
Exploitation Of Mistakes: 3.5/5
General Principles: 5/5
Advance Pawns: 4.5/5
Queens Gambit: 5/5
All In Together Now: 5/5
Unstoppable Threats: 5/5
Unprotected Pieces: 4/5
Illusory Protection: 5/5
Smothered Mate: 4/5

num2son
05-26-2006, 11:06 PM
bump, still a great album

Legendary
06-02-2006, 02:22 PM
da only good tracks on the album are:
Destruction Of A Guard
General Principles
Advance Pawns
Queens Gambit
All In Together Now
Unstoppable Threats
Smotherd Mate.
This wasn't GZA's best album. Just being real.

06-02-2006, 02:52 PM
I give this album a 8/10 it's a good throwback Muggs makes great beats.
Besides this release I dont think GZA has released a solid release since Liquid Swords just my opinion.
why do people say this shit HAVE YOU LISTENED TO BENEATH THE SURFACE?!?! that album is pure hip hop gold

Bigot Hitman
06-02-2006, 08:17 PM
da only good tracks on the album are:
Destruction Of A Guard
General Principles
Advance Pawns
Queens Gambit
All In Together Now
Unstoppable Threats
Smotherd Mate.
This wasn't GZA's best album. Just being real.

yeah, it was just as good as beneath the surface album.

Legendary
06-02-2006, 11:32 PM
^^you know what, honestly, if I had to choose between beneath the surface and grandmasters, I would choose beneath the surface.

Longbongcilvaringz
06-04-2006, 11:46 AM
just listened to the album again for the first tiome in a while and its still fucking ill. gza just always fucking delivers dope albums without fucking around with the music in favour of making money or selling records. masta and him are the generals that kept it truly real.

Da Dishonourable Don
06-06-2006, 03:28 PM
The GrandMasters album is one of the tightest albums I've heard in 10 fuckin' years, top to bottom sickness, no disrespect when I say this, but I think after hearing that album, Rza could take a couple pointers from Muggs, Muggs just brought that real Wu flav back to the game, and he ain't even a Wu producer, Gza never ceases to amaze me, he's always gonna be in the top 5 dopest mc's, this album is a favourite and a keeper, best 21 bucks spent in a long time!

famenchuan
10-04-2006, 11:39 PM
1 Opening - 4/5
2 Those Thats Bout It - 3.5/5
3 Destruction of A Guard - 4/5
4 Exploitation Of Mistakes - 5/5
5 General Principal - 5/5
6 Advanced Pawns - 5/5
7 Queens Gambit - 5/5
8 All In Together - 5/5
9 Unstopable Threats - 5/5
10 Illusory Protection 4/5
11 Smothered Mate 5/5
12 Unprotected Pieces 5/5

Fucking hot album. The first time I heard it I actually hated it, now its a personal classic.

the insignificant
10-06-2006, 04:26 AM
Those That's Bout It 3.5/5
Destruction Of A Guard 4.5/5
Exploitation Of Mistakes 5/5
General Principles 4/5
Advanced Pawns 4.5/5
Queen's Gambit 4/5
All In Together Now 3.5/5
Unstoppable Threats 4/5
Unprotected Pieces 4.5/5
Illusory Protection 4.5/5
Smoothered Mate 5/5

great album... my main issue with it is that if it's called grandmasters, shouldn't he have not had guest appearances on the album, except for maybe a couple of hooks...

THE W
10-06-2006, 07:42 PM

Rebel_INS
10-10-2006, 12:34 AM
1.Opening (Skit)
2.Those Thats Bout It - 4.5/5
3.Destruction Of A Guard - 5/5
4.Exploitation Of Mistakes - 5/5
5.General Principles - 5/5
6.Advance Pawns - 5/5
7.Queen's Gambit - 5/5 (DOPE lyrics)
8.All In Together Now - 5/5
9.Unstoppable Threats - 5/5
10.Unprotected Pieces - 5/5
11.Illusory Protection - 5/5
12.Smothered Mate - 4.5/5

Basically, I couldn't find no weakness in this album. The production is DEF on point throughout the whole album. And GZA still shows dopeness in the lyrics.

Wongo921
10-30-2006, 08:56 AM
ThIS album is pure CLASSSSIC. All of GZA's albums are bangers or better.

Ink Is My Drink
11-01-2006, 06:45 AM
ThIS album is pure CLASSSSIC. All of GZA's albums are bangers or better.

your right all of GZA's albums are at elats bangers or better

everyone needs to open there ears just cos it doesnt sound exactly the same as liquid swords doesnt mean his other albums are bad

all of his albums are bangers dont forget that!

PuNcH_iN_PuNcH_OuT
11-01-2006, 10:22 PM
although gza lacks energy this album is addictive

CamelMann
11-02-2006, 02:34 AM
I skimmed thru it in the store and was dissapointed. Fuck, I was expecting so much after all the hype and crazy reviews...I find both Meth's 4:21 and Ghost's Fish scale to be better, and GZA has always been my favorite member...
:yessad:

CM

Fero Blaque
04-25-2008, 12:05 PM
I only just recently copped this album.. and I never liked "DJ Muggs" and I don't know his level of participation on the end results but this CD sound really balanced. A real tied together product without a glitch really.. very smooth. You know with alot of albums you're listening to a compilation of songs.. quite logically.

But these tracks, although quite different from eachother with a few exceptions, really sound like one big whole. Really dope shit is on this.. alot of knowledge 'n dreadfull calmth like "Raekwon - Fly Shawty Penelope" on "The Vatican Mixtape Vol. 2" .. you feel me ? Some storytelling joints you automatically take for granted because "GZA" spits only truth and realness.

This is not a review but i'm just telling you how underrated this is.. not everyone has heard of It and that's not that strange but they should give it a listen. A very complete package with that raw hip-hop sound while it's very clean and smooth.. that's quite an art haha. Anyone who picked it up here liked it ? It has some memorable tracks on It !

TAURO
04-25-2008, 12:24 PM
http://www.wutang-corp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7310

-The A to the Z-
04-25-2008, 04:46 PM
I don't know his level of participation on the end results

Right, DJ Muggs=50%
GZA=45%
Guests=5%

The sucka produced the whole album, cool.

Krimewave
04-25-2008, 05:23 PM
I only just recently copped this album.. and I never liked "DJ Muggs" and I don't know his level of participation on the end results but this CD sound really balanced. A real tied together product without a glitch really.. very smooth. You know with alot of albums you're listening to a compilation of songs.. quite logically.

But these tracks, although quite different from eachother with a few exceptions, really sound like one big whole. Really dope shit is on this.. alot of knowledge 'n dreadfull calmth like "Raekwon - Fly Shawty Penelope" on "The Vatican Mixtape Vol. 2" .. you feel me ? Some storytelling joints you automatically take for granted because "GZA" spits only truth and realness.

This is not a review but i'm just telling you how underrated this is.. not everyone has heard of It and that's not that strange but they should give it a listen. A very complete package with that raw hip-hop sound while it's very clean and smooth.. that's quite an art haha. Anyone who picked it up here liked it ? It has some memorable tracks on It !

no doubt, one of the best albums of the last few years imo

LuckyTheWonderDog
04-25-2008, 05:28 PM
I still think they got the mixing and mastering off on this. Great beats and lyrics, but it sounds muddled at times. On General Principles for instance GZA sounds lost in the beat.

cboals
04-25-2008, 06:25 PM
pitchfork wrote a nice piece on grandmasters in the column about albums that slipped through the cracks.

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/feature/49622-column-through-the-cracks-4

King Tron 1
04-25-2008, 06:41 PM
I find that most songs on this album that are lacking, sound better on the remix album.

rich gannon
04-25-2008, 07:50 PM
i listened to it 3 or 4 times when it came out but none since...no replay value at all. IMO

whitey
04-25-2008, 08:20 PM
ya i wasn't terribly impressed by it. i mean i liked it when it came out. but i dont really spin it much these days. a bit boring. no tremendous standouts on here. but nothing really weak, or anything even close to it.

but muggz is that dude. i like practically everything hes done from cypress to the sick jacken and everything inbetween. waitin on that planet asia (or is that already out yet?)

Guarded By Martyrs
04-25-2008, 10:03 PM
I still think they got the mixing and mastering off on this. Great beats and lyrics, but it sounds muddled at times. On General Principles for instance GZA sounds lost in the beat.

I thought this as well...

Great Album though

Sgt Holly Wood
04-26-2008, 04:39 AM
solid lp

gza dropped some crazy lyrics on this shit, beats didnt do much for me though.. some were good

id give it a 7.5

MAYOR QUIMBY
05-04-2008, 02:25 PM
The beats become annoying and it's definately not one of those albums you can listen to over and over again. I voted "GOOD"

Surreptitious
05-04-2008, 03:47 PM
Thia album is so dope, its where Gza found his flow again, bangin beats, swagger flow, dope lyrics 9.5/10, General Principle is a song that makes me truly love hip-hop

Maccabee Ridah
05-22-2008, 05:47 AM
I did not like thiz album at all, it's just under GZA's lv, i do not like it at all.....

5/10

claaa7
11-30-2008, 01:51 PM
damn i'm bumping this album again for the first time in a long time and i gotta say that it's way better than "Pro Tools". production is really tight and Muggs bring a bunch of beats that all connect to eachother, following the same formula which makes the songs stand out like a real album. this is one of those joints that you play from beginning to end without skipping a joint.

a lot of people complained about GZA sounding sleepy on this one I remember but I think he got a tight delivery on "Grandmasters", much better than on "Pro Tools". Great beats, great lyrics performed well with all dope guest spots make for a dope album and there is even the Ol' Dirty tribute song.

8.5/10

the insignificant
12-06-2008, 11:02 PM
biggest complaint is that there were too many guest appearances... the concept of the album is one emcee, one producer... i think guests should have been limited to the chorus... also, what was the point of having all wu guests on a muggs produced album? they could've branched out more...

muggs' beats get a little repetitve to me... overall the the album ranges from 3.5-4.5/5 on different days...

Hollow Dartz
12-08-2008, 12:11 AM
Hollow Dartz Review....

1.Intro

2.Those That's Bout It
This was one of the first songs leaked on the album. The beat is pretty solid for a first track. I think Dj Muggs takes the backseat on this one due to Gza's lyrics standing out on here. He shows he stills has it on the mic and the fact that he is calm on the beat just fits perfectly. The hook is a favorite on here "Those who doubt it, on the mic get done with" This is a banger right here. 4/5

3.Destruction of a Guard
This is an ok track. Nice to hear Raekwon on the hook although I think a verse from him would've made this track better. Gza is spitting his detective rap on here, the beat by Muggs is ok, beat switch at the end was cool. 3.5/5

4.Expliotation of Mistakes
This is a very boring track. Gza is once again spitting his detective rap. The beat on here was pretty good but Gza kills it on here with his delivery. It sounds like he's forced to rhyme on here and he's bored. I didn't like the way this one turned out at all this had more potential than presented. 3/5

5.General Principles
This is a pretty good track. Beat by Muggs is on point. Gza comes through once again with the lyrics. His 2nd verse is very good, he came through on that one. On another note the video for this track is pretty good. This is a pretty solid track. This track is a pretty good collaboration between the two. 4/5

6.Advance Pawns
What can I say about this one? Well the beat is cool for starters. Rza actually comes through on here with some tight lyrics. Gza is very solid on here, Raekwon smashed it on here he should've got some more time on the mic though. This is a pretty good track. Nice to hear clan members on one track like this. 4/5

7.Queen's Gambit
This is another one of those Gza "name game" joints. He uses the NFL on here. This is pretty good too. A story about him meeting some females, and at the end he's fucking them. The beat is pretty tight and laid back. Gza always delivers on tracks like these from what I've heard so far. The wordplay is great. 4/5

8.All In Togther Now
This is the O.D.B. tribute track right here. I won't comment too much on it.
3.5/5

9.Unstoppable Threats
This is one of the very few times Gza gets outshined by his guests. Not saying Gza was wack on here, but when Prodigal comes in you forget all about Gza being on this track. He flows on here crazy and brings some tight rhymes to the table. Masta Killa also comes through with his smooth flow and rips this joint. Beat is just right for this one. I like riding out to this one on a late night. 4/5

10.Unprotected Pieces
Not feeling this track right here. Pretty boring all around on here. I won't speak anymore on this one. 3/5

11.Illusory Protection
This is an good track. I'm feeling the beat on here Muggs standsout on here. Gza is pretty solid on here as he has been throughout the whole album, Only two verses though, they were pretty great though. That beat that Gza is talking on at the end is pretty dope, he should've spit off that shit too. 4/5

12.Smothered Mate
At first I wasn't feeling this one right here but this grew on me alot. Gza is spitting some ill shit on here, and the beat is on some finale shit. This is pretty good. A nice way to end the album. 4/5

Beats - 4/5
Lyrics - 4/5
Overall - 4/5

This album has grown on me alot. AT first I wasn't feeling too much of this album. The only problem I have on here wouuld be some of the beats get repititive a tad bit and Gza does sound bored on some of these tracks. But Overall I think this is one solid release. I think they both came through and collaborated well with each other. ****Overall 4/5****

New Hills 36
05-08-2009, 05:30 PM
I really like this. something sbstantial about it and well themed. I like the remix album a lot too. 8-8.5

OddioPellMell
05-18-2009, 11:26 PM
exploration of mistakes was my ringtone till i threw it out the car window... i miss that phone it would probably still be the ringtone

Don Universo
05-21-2009, 10:29 AM
superior album...this could give beneath the surface a run for its money.Great chemistry and beat for beat this shit is crazy as well as lyricaly.

djskillz
05-22-2009, 06:19 PM
10/10 for me. There's not a single track I can skip. Every time I listen to it again I'm amazed at the lyrical ability of the GZA and the talent Muggs has for beats. Classic.