PDA

View Full Version : R&B Music Became Boring After 70's/80's Funk Bands Disappeared

CharlesJones
03-16-2009, 03:15 PM
The bands i'm talking about that did some classic party songs back in the day are

Zapp and Roger Troutman
Parliament/Funkadelic
Con Funk Shun
Cameo
Midnight Star
Dazz Band
The Gap Band
Lakeside
The Deele(Babyface used to be with this group before he started doing boring solo love songs)
The Time
Ready For The World
Earth Wind And Fire
Kool And The Gang
The SOS Band
Mtume(i can't believe they disappeared after only 2 albums and the classic songs Juicy Fruit and You, Me And He)
Slave(i love their classic songs Just A Touch Of Love, Watching You, Snap Shot)
Raydio(Ray Parker Jr used to be with them)

Let me know ya'll if i'm missing any funk bands from back in the day. R&B music started to get boring to me after these artists i named disappeared. I love uptempo party songs and these artists i named did lots of those type of songs. I don't mind love songs sometimes but i think there are too many r&b singers that came out in the 90's and the ones that are singing now are doing too many love songs and not enough uptempo party songs. Prince is good at making uptempo party songs because he's done lots of them back in the day but he did way too many love songs after the 80's.

Stikee Fingerz
03-16-2009, 03:32 PM
co-sign x1000

NAKHI the SOLORIAN
03-16-2009, 03:39 PM
this is about the only topic I can agree on with you CJ.....even though I like alot of the Neo-Soul artists but they are not really R and B

CharlesJones
03-17-2009, 02:44 PM
I forgot about Chic, The Isley Brothers, Tony Toni Tone, One Way. I was just listening to Chic's greatest hits cd in the car. I love their classic songs Dance Dance Dance, Everybody Dance, Le Freak, I Want Your Love, Good Times, My Feet Keep Dancing, My Forbidden Lover, You Can Get By If You Try(Luther Vandross sang the hook on this). The Isley Brothers started out as a trio but in the 70's, they added their other 2 brothers Ernie and Marvin and their brother in-law or cousin Chris Jasper. The Isley Brothers did a lot of love songs when they first started out but in the mid 70's to late 80's, they did a lot of uptempo party songs. I was disappointed in their last 2 albums Body Kiss and Baby Makin Music because they had too many love songs on those albums and not enough jams. They did do a nice love song called What Would You Do with R Kelly on Body Kiss album i like. Ernie Isley, Marvin Isley, Chris Jasper formed a group in the mid 80's Isley Jasper Isley and they had the hit songs Caravan Of Love and Insatiable Woman. They did 3 albums. Caravan Of Love was their first album and i was listening to that yesterday. They did 2 jams on that album i like called Liberation and High Heel Syndrome. I haven't heard their other albums. Marvin lost his legs due to diabetes. I was saddened to hear that because he was a very good bass guitar player. One Way's Mr Groove and Cutie Pie songs are the jams.

Tony Toni Tone was the last funk band from the 90's that had some nice party songs especially on their The Revival album. They also did a tight party jam with DJ Quik called Let's Get Down on their last album House Of Music. I wish they would've done some more albums. I don't like Raphael Saddiq's solo albums because he sings too many love songs. James JT Taylor of Kool And The Gang is one of my favorite singers and he's underrated. His solo albums disappointed me because he has too many love songs and not enough jams like he did with Kool And The Gang. The Jacksons aren't considered a funk band but they did some jams i like such as Blame It On The Boogie, Enjoy Yourself, Dancing Machine, Shake Your Body Down To The Ground, All Night Dancin, Can You Feel It, Lovely One, Walk Right Now, Wondering Who, Torture, Wait, State Of Shock with Mick Jagger, Body, Nothin Compares 2 You. Michael Jackson and Jermaine Jackson also did some jams on their solo albums. Michael's Don't Stop Till You Get Enough, Working Day And Night, Get On The Floor, Burn This Disco Out, Wanna Be Startin Somethin, Beat It, Billie Jean, PYT(Pretty Young Thing), Bad, The Way You Make Me Feel, Speed Demon, Just Good Friends with Stevie Wonder, Another Part Of Me songs are the jams. Jermaine's Let's Get Serious, Burnin Hot, Dynamite, Planet Of The Ant Men, Come To Me(One Way Or Another), Some Things Are Private songs are the jams. Nobody in r&b after the 80's and 90's is making party jams anymore and that's why r&b music has been boring to me for a long time.

INF
03-17-2009, 03:04 PM
Yeah man , I think we talked about this a looooong time ago but I agree. All the groups and Artist you namin' is all the stuff I grew up on. It wasnt till way later I started to listen to rock. I'm sure that one reason I let go of R&B or soul is the lack of what all them bands brought to it. It seems they broke it down to just trios or solo artist in the 90's and the sound changed as well.

idk

but yeah man , you get reps on this right here.

CharlesJones
03-20-2009, 02:21 PM
George Clinton's Atomic Dog song is my jam. I was listening to that on the radio last week. Other jams of mine from Parliament/Funkadelic is Flashlight and Not Just Knee Deep. I was just listening to Lakeside's Fantastic Voyage song. That's my jam too. Ya'll remember Ginuwine's Pony song? I love that jam. How come he didn't make more jams like that instead of these love songs he did? Keith Sweat is another one who has more love songs than jams. He did 3 jams on his first album called Something Just Ain't Right, Don't Stop Your Love, I Want Her. I haven't peeped the rest of his albums even though i think he's a good singer but i know he has more love songs than party jams on his albums. Same thing with Levert. Levert's Just Coolin album got several jams like Pull Over, Just Coolin with Heavy D, Gotta Get That Money, Join In The Fun, Take Your Time. I also love their other jams Cassanova and Good Old Days. I like some of Levert's love songs but i don't understand why so many r&b singers have more love songs than jams on their albums. I heard 2 of Gerald Levert's solo albums and i didn't like them because he had too many love songs and no jams.

Johnny Gill had some jams on his self titled album that came out in 1990 such as Rub You The Right Way and Wrap My Body Tight. I liked some of his love songs on that album. He did another jam called The Floor on his Provocative album. Bobby Brown had several jams like Don't Be Cruel, My Perogative, Every Little Step, I'll Be Good To You, On Our Own from Ghostbusters part 2 soundtrack, Humpin Around, Get Away, Two Can Play That Game, It's Still My Thing. His last album Forever was slept on. He has some good songs on there. Silk's Happy Days and We're Callin You songs are my jams. New Edition has some jams such as Gimme Your Love, She Gives Me A Bang, Pass The Beat, Candy Girl, Cool It Now, My Secret(Did Ya Get It Yet), Hide And Seek, School, Count Me Out, Hit Me Off, Your Not My Kind Of Girl, Where It All Started. Ralph Tresvant's Sensitivity song is the jam. R Kelly's Home Alone, VIP, Fiesta remix, Ignition remix are the jams. The Whispers have done some jams. The Dramatics got a few jams too. Boyz II Men's Motownphilly song is the jam. I like Boyz II Men's first album but i stopped listening to them after that album because they sang too many love songs. Other than these artists i named, nobody else in r&b has done some party jams. These dudes sing way too many love songs and that's why r&b has been boring to me for a long time.