PDA

View Full Version : Common making I Used To Love H.E.R in 1994 = LOLZ

Ghost In The 'Lac
04-14-2009, 05:24 PM
hip hop has always been dead lol.

1994 to alot of people was the golden era (not to me but..). But common made this song that rang tru with alot of people who also though it was dead.

You could go right back to the 80's form the pioneers of the music side of it who were doing it without record contracts, I bet they were saying hip hop was dead when they first heard it on the national radio.

fortyglock
04-14-2009, 05:44 PM
^ Even with The Roots joint 'What They Do', they were talking about kinda similar things too. It's been an on going issue in hip hop, about artists selling out etc. In my opinion the standard of 'commercial hip hop' has been going down over the years. I mean, just go back a few years, back then a lot of people may have thought that the Lil Jon Crunk sound was one of the worst things to happen to hip hop and fast forward to now, we got people like Souljah Boy. I'll be honest, I'd much rather hear Lil Jon that Souljah Boy. The commercial music back then may have not been liked that much at the time, but when we look back on it now it doesn't really seem that bad compared to what comes out these days.

Chungsanity
04-14-2009, 05:45 PM
yeah I see the shock in your post but I respect it.

commons an overrated backpacker for making that type of song when hiphop was at its peek. I thought that song was dope before but not anymore. it would sound relevant in 09 but making that in 94 is just common's excuse to think he's nice with the concepts when it just backfired on him.

Ice cube murdered him in their beef.

Tecknowledgist
04-14-2009, 05:47 PM
I was just thinking the other day how DJ Shadow had a song on Endtroducing called "Why Hip Hop Sucks in 96" then there's a sample of Lyrics Born saying "It's the money!"

I was like wtf, Hip Hop was bangin in 96 haha

Ghost In The 'Lac
04-14-2009, 05:54 PM
Endtroducing is one of the most overrated albums of all time.

YungSunny
04-14-2009, 05:59 PM
I used to lover her is a perfect example of "You never know what you have until it's gone"
naw mean?

Tecknowledgist
04-14-2009, 06:44 PM

YOU'RE one of the most overrated albums of all time

Chungsanity
04-14-2009, 06:48 PM
midnight in a perfect world is my fucking joint.

Wu-Tang Gambino
04-14-2009, 09:21 PM
The song was about his disdain for the gangsta style of hip hop that had become popular.

TSA
04-14-2009, 10:13 PM
tru thread. rappers are fags always talking about hip hop being dead, ppl have been saying hip hop is dead since run DMC

when method man said that he doesn't like the new superhero movies cause they making it for kids unlike the old ones (think of super hero movies in his childhood in comparison to dark knight btw), i realize that rappers, mainly ones that think they're smart, are so dumb they're going to hell for it.

SKANK HILL
04-15-2009, 12:08 AM
Thread fails. The song wasn't about hip hop being dead, it was about hip hop evolving into the popular West Coast Gangsta G Funk shit that went away from "the true roots" of hip hop.

No, he didn't.

adrianoter
04-15-2009, 12:47 AM
what about the album it came from "Ressurection" a fucken classic if there ever was one? "watermelon" is fire, possibly the dopest LP from that era

Ghost In The 'Lac
04-15-2009, 03:59 PM
Thread fails. The song wasn't about hip hop being dead, it was about hip hop evolving into the popular West Coast Gangsta G Funk shit that went away from "the true roots" of hip hop.

No, he didn't.

^^post failed. Common himself has even said the song wasnt aimed at west coast at all, and he didnt see why Cube got so upset.

Not to mention you have obviously never heard the song lol, it was CLEARLY a general shot at hip hop being dead and sold out.

No one really expects BONERFARM though to "get it" lol, your names bonerfarm for one.

-

"That she could make money, and she did it like a dummy
Now I see her in commercials, shes universal"

"She was really the realest, before she got into showbiz"

"Now she be in the burbs lickin rock and dressin hip"

He mentions gangster shit, but thats only a continuation of him telling the story of Hip Hop, like he was doing int he song. On his album before this he was talking about getting drunk and xmoking blunts as much as anyone lol.

Song failed, Bonerfarm failed (no surprise lol)

SKANK HILL
04-15-2009, 09:35 PM

Sometimes it helps to read. I said it went away from the essence of hip hop, which it did, and used g funk as the example because it was popular, which it was. Not sure what my name has to do with anything. Typical GHOSTLACED argument, argue away enough from the point where the other person leaves and claim "E" victories.

Learn what evolving means then come back.

"Slim was fresh yo when she was underground, original, pure untampered and down sister, boy I tell ya, I miss her"

TSA
04-15-2009, 10:41 PM
that shit was aimed at the westcoast and common pussied out cause he's a black person from chicago, a pussy, and horrified by WC's W beard.

he can say all he wants but as soon as HER when to the west she became shit is what he was trying to say, meanwhile the west was making music that today is considered on par (by wutangcorp.com only) , or better (chronic dogg pound ICe cubes first 3 albums NWA doggystyle pac) then everything in the east's history..let alone..chicago.

common is a soft fag for pulling out of his open slap in the face to the west, he should have kept it real and said 'yes, hip hop turned ass when cali got a hold of it and that's what this song was about' instead of being a coward and being all 'deerrrr idk what your talking about'

kwabena1041
04-15-2009, 11:03 PM
commons an overrated backpacker for making that type of song when hiphop was at its peek. I thought that song was dope before but not anymore. it would sound relevant in 09 but making that in 94 is just common's excuse to think he's nice with the concepts when it just backfired on him.

So u though it was dope back then but now since shit is really fucked its wack?
Ice cube was a corny ass rapper back then and still is. His ignorant ass totally misunderstood the song. I dont think I meet anyone who thought Common was dissing them corny sensitive ass west cost dudes. Mack 10 barrett rocking ass has always sucked. Cube aint been shit since Death Certificate

Ghost In The 'Lac
04-16-2009, 07:18 AM
Its just further evidence that we should never listen to rappers when they say hip hop is dying.

I even remember an interview last year with Common where he was saying he was loving the state of hip hop right now.

YungSunny
04-16-2009, 04:47 PM
Well, if the g-funk shit stayed popular to this day, hip-hop would of been dead, no doubt.
Can't deny that.

Ghost In The 'Lac
04-16-2009, 05:01 PM
^g funk is dope.

YungSunny
04-16-2009, 05:15 PM
G funk is dope, but hearing niggas tryna emulate it for 17 years straight on bet and mtv?
Not dope.

Afficial_Nastee
04-17-2009, 02:23 PM
I've never understood why the fuck Common made that song in '94 and in my opinion that track never made sense, especially not considering this track was released after Illmatic and Ready To Die....

TSA
04-17-2009, 02:27 PM
yeah i heard him say that he liked the state of hip hop now. which just means he hates hard body shit, illmatic, ready to die, 36 chambers, and most of all hardbody shit.

what a faggot. I never liked the gay.

Afficial_Nastee
04-17-2009, 02:37 PM
^^^^

Totally agree, I've never liked him neither....

To be such a big city Chicago never brought any good rappers if you compare them to other city's : Detroit has Eminem, Proof, Esham , Royce etc. New York has Wu-Tang , Onyx , Nas , Big Pun , Big L , Biggie etc. etc. etc. (Too much too mention LOL) , LA has Ice Cube, Ras Kass , MC Ren etc. , Sacramento has Brotha Lynch Hung , X-Raided , Philly has the whole JMT click , Jersey has Chino XL, Outsidaz etc. even Kansas City has a very dope MC : Tech N9ne and wtf does Chicago brings us? Kanye West , Common and Twista LOL Yeah I've heard bout Rhymefest and Da Brat but they're nothing special compared tot the ones I mentioned above....

ALCATRAZ
04-17-2009, 02:54 PM
trippin

CharlesJones
04-17-2009, 02:57 PM
LOL@TSA calling Common a faggot hahahahahahahahahahahahaha. He got soft after Resurrection album. Afficial Nastee you should listen to Common's Can I Borrow A Dollar and Resurrection albums. He was hard on those albums. Those are the only albums of his i like. To the dude who dissed Ice Cube talking about he's wack and he hasn't made good music since Death Certificate, hahahahahahahahahahahahaha. What's wrong with you? Just because he got mad at Common's The Bitch In You song, all of a sudden he's wack? Ice Cube is one of the rawest lyricists of all time. Yeah he's made some shitty albums like most rappers but that doesn't make him wack. Bootlegs And B Sides was his last good album by the way.

Afficial_Nastee
04-17-2009, 03:12 PM
I've listened to Resurrection and I didn't like it.... He's just a whining muthafucka in my eyes....

CharlesJones
04-17-2009, 03:20 PM
How could you not like Resurrection? That album is tight. You like them wack rappers from Detroit besides Royce that you mentioned but you don't like Resurrection. Tech Nine is a good rapper but he's a weird muthafucka LOL. I've seen pictures of him and he got issues LOL. Only song of his i've heard is on Gang Related soundtrack. I never wanted to listen to his albums.

Afficial_Nastee
04-17-2009, 03:26 PM
You like them wack rappers from Detroit besides Royce that you mentioned but you don't like Resurrection.

Esham created a whole new genre in Hip-Hop and Esham is way way WAY betta than that stupid whining muthafucka that calls himself Common, lyrical Common might be betta but in no way Common is betta than Esham if we talk bout atmosphere, beats , content and subject matter and flow....
And don't get me started bout how dope D-12 are....
I don't like cd's like Resurrection cuz they lack Hardcore appeal and there is no grimeness in it.... Might sound small minded , but that's what I look for in Hip-Hop if I want some happy stuff I just watch a movie....

CharlesJones
04-17-2009, 03:29 PM
D12 is dope hahahahahahahahahahaha. You got the nerve to call Common a whiner. How is he a whiner? His music is soft and wack but he's not a whiner. What do you think Eminem's voice sounds like? LOL. I've never liked him because his voice sucks. I like his 8 Mile movie though LOL. Who is Esham? Is he a good rapper? How are his beats?

Afficial_Nastee
04-17-2009, 03:34 PM
Who is Esham? Is he a good rapper? How are his beats?

Check Kill the Fetus and Closed Casket IMMEDIATELY LOL , those are two phat classics, and his beats are one of the best, trust me....

Esham started this while Horrorcore and Acid Rap as a teenager all on his own, his own lyrics ( that's obvious) , his own beats so respect for that....
And he sure is dope....
He's a Detroit Hip-Hop Legend, too bad them guys from Detroit who got big all over the US didn't get along well with Esham .... While Eminem was broke and still gettin' money from Rap Battles, Esham already had 5 cd's behind his name ....

CharlesJones
04-17-2009, 03:40 PM
I might check him out and if i do, i'm gonna be mad at you if his beats suck and his lyrics are wack LOL. You know how i feel about beats and that's the reason why i dislike a lot of good rappers albums because of bad beats. I don't see what's so special about Eminem. I don't see anything special about his lyrics. His lyrics are ok but his voice sucks and a lot of his songs are radio/pop stuff. You were right about rappers from Chicago. Chicago doesn't seem to have a lot of good rappers. Da Brat and Common are the only ones from Chicago i like. Well i used to like Common when he was hard LOL.

YungSunny
04-17-2009, 04:03 PM
^Wow
My brain hurts when this dude talks about Common.

cap
04-23-2009, 01:50 PM
http://www.allhiphop.com/stories/editorial/archive/2009/04/23/21447847.aspx