PDA

View Full Version : Contrary to popular belief

TSA
04-23-2009, 01:07 AM
90s hip hop was not lyrically impressive at all.

ppl act like the 90s was a lyrical golden age, and though the lyrics were excellent and cool and shit, they weren't backpacky.

most rappers that ppl listen to were mediocre lyrically.
but they still had a style that made it all dope as fuck.

but now rappers that wanna take it back tuu dat real h2p hawp spend 15 songs on a 17 song album trying to say clever shit all day and frolick over saying philosophies and biographies on a song.

most GOATS, Ice Cube, Snoop, 36 chambers wu, all of NY except Kane and Rakim and ppl that rapped like them pre 96, just said shit with of fancy blazzi blah all up in the lyrics and shit.

like Whut Thee Album. Its fucking awesome, but Redman is just being entertaining and good makertaining through out,

not sitting there saying philiosopoies and cellulite and shit cause he thinks he's cleverer then bricks.

i mean, obviously some rappers can be entertaining with their dopeness

em
pun
l
wu
ect.
ect.

but some.....aren't..and are infact wack because they're so dope
canibus
ra the rugged man
aesop rock
holocaust
chino xl
papoose
ect
ect

fags that just run their mouth about nothing with the inability to make good songs except for idiots that, after hearing it 10000000 times and 1000000000 other songs done as good as or better, are still impressed with black men saying clever shit on looped beats.

honestly though, most rappers in the 90s were on par lyrically with most southern rappers today.

the 90s being an era of clever shit is a myth, that only got popular in NY around 97 then died out whenever KRS one decided he's putting his hip hop back in his S Club 7 lunch box and thus meaning that hee3p hawp is d2ad.

sure its dead cause it sucks more then it did at it's peak, but dont say 'bring the lyrics back' cause yeah the lyrics were supurb, but the rarely fit any of your criteria for impressive or mind boggling except in a few isolated cases.

Longbongcilvaringz
04-23-2009, 01:13 AM
You can be lyrical adept without being hifalutin (do American's spell hifalutin - 'highfalutin'?) though.

Redman is lyrical good just talking about random everyday shit.

I get where you're coming from though.

Music is rarely interesting lyrically anyway.

I actually think hip hop is better in that regard than most other genre's anyway, it is scrutinised more closely for some reason.

EAGLE EYE
04-23-2009, 01:19 AM
This is the expression I made when reading this thread

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51w6cLS8oQL._SS500_.jpg

TSA
04-23-2009, 01:20 AM
well the lyrics play a bigger part then in other genres thats why

but yeah, like you said with that big ass word that american have never heard of
rappers now think to be good lyrically you have to cause pyroclastic jurassic on a song

when rappers like
ice cube
red man
slick rick
36 chambers wu
onxy
mobb deep
snoop
dre
all of the 80s except Kane and Rakim
whateverwhatever

made excellent lyrics that by todays criteria wouldn't be considered dope cause they were just good for being good.

there's no way in hell you can tell me the lyrics on Enta Da Stage were superior to anything Gorilla Zoe is making.

difference is Enta Da Stage is the fucking SHIT and Gorilla Zoe is forgettable and gay most of the time.

"Ridiculous to think you're hitting me, your not hittin me your getting me upset with ya threats"

i love that lyric. Its fucking dope
but at the same time, it isn't dope

TSA
04-23-2009, 01:22 AM

your tender pastey white Kraft Brothers flesh could never replicate the divine pussy magnet status of Big Daddy Kane ya fucking mongrel

Longbongcilvaringz
04-23-2009, 01:23 AM
"I was rated x, but i flexed, i beat up the devil with a shovel, so he dropped me a level".

Simple shit, is good.

EAGLE EYE
04-23-2009, 01:29 AM
your tender pastey white Kraft Brothers flesh could never replicate the divine pussy magnet status of Big Daddy Kane ya fucking mongrel

Notice he doesn't have ingrown hairs or patchy skin? Take notes Mr. Needle Dick Poop face.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_RKT7fSnm-2I/SDN3WKYe9FI/AAAAAAAAAC8/HSOeJP31l50/s320/bigdaddything.jpg

This could be you some day if you play ya corns right.

Visionz
04-23-2009, 01:30 AM
EQcSoE1bt_A

ButterCrunchJoints
04-23-2009, 01:33 AM
I agree that people trying to use big words and sound intelligent in their rhymes usually fail at making good music 99% of the time, but Black Star is one of the greatest hip hop albums of all time and is the only truly intellectual rap album i've ever heard, and it dropped in '98, by default making the '90s more lyrical than this current decade.

WiNwTL0HQRI

TSA
04-23-2009, 01:38 AM
Notice he doesn't have ingrown hairs or patchy skin? Take notes Mr. Needle Dick Poop face.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_RKT7fSnm-2I/SDN3WKYe9FI/AAAAAAAAAC8/HSOeJP31l50/s320/bigdaddything.jpg

This could be you some day if you play ya corns right.

yeah he does ferry, how about readjusting to something less 'babe magnet' to keep your fluffy irish flesh intact you anus matinee

http://www.larryspatz.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/swedish-dance-bands-010.jpg

claaa7
04-23-2009, 01:56 AM
Keith Murray, Biggie Smalls, Redman, Raekwon, Ghostface, Nas, Jay-Z, Craig Mack, Big Daddy Kane, Kool G Rap, Rakim, Lord Finesse, O.C., A.G., Big Pun, Milano, Prodigy (early shit), Grand Puba, Sadat X, Masta Ace, etc................. those were fucking lyricists from the '90s, do your history before you open your mouth.

claaa7
04-23-2009, 02:01 AM
sorry i misinterpreted the thread; i just woke up.. the one's posted above are great lyricists but they may not talk about positive shit that's important if that's what you're after. but listen to Black Thought/The Roots, Grand Puba, Sadat X, Lord Jamar/Brand Nubian and a buch of others for proof of positive and important lyrics from the '90s to name a few.

TSA
04-23-2009, 02:07 AM
wow. i bet you feel really embarassed now.

congradulations on naming positive rappers in the 90s,
by far, the most chauvanist, violent, and lyrically self-destructive era in hip hop.

you are a humungous pussy and would never respond to former WCW world champion bill goldberg in that tone.

ALCATRAZ
04-23-2009, 02:23 AM
contrary to popular belief the west coast was thee main influence for the midwest and southern regions in regards to their distinct "sounds"

Ghost In The 'Lac
04-23-2009, 04:23 AM
man tsa always misses the idea

Ghost In The 'Lac
04-23-2009, 04:29 AM
again youve missed the point. about hip hop.

it was about REALISM

non of these rappers you mentioned ever boasted about having "brilliant lyricism" back then. that was seen as corny. because you were acknowleging that you are actully "a rapper",

they were just talking about real shit, everyday shit

This is where you missing the point.

No one like Mobb Deep, Wu Tang, Snoop etc was going out trying to be "a dope lyricsit rapper"

because thats corny back then. Nowadays to Backpackers that isnt corny, and its legitimate to make a career out of boasting about how great a rapper you are.

Its still corny in some places to be like that, like the south, or the west coast.

But you don get rich out of speaking about average REAL shit anymore. You have to talk about FAKE shit, to get mainstream attention

Longbongcilvaringz
04-23-2009, 04:30 AM
contrary to popular belief the west coast was thee main influence for the midwest and southern regions in regards to their distinct "sounds"

Your opinion, without fail, is always terrible.

Ghost In The 'Lac
04-23-2009, 04:37 AM
the south has been doing their own sound since the late 80's if you knew your shit.

but i can understanding someone think otherwise if your a novice

ALCATRAZ
04-23-2009, 04:54 AM
Your opinion, without fail, is always terrible.

yea just like ur sig .... how someone can enjoy that retarded shit is beyond me

noel411
04-23-2009, 05:07 AM

Ha, that actually made me laugh.

But yeah, most of what TSA said here is true. Lyricism in modern hip hop is far more advanced. I personally don't find big words, multies, or complicated similies and punchlines impressive at all, in fact I generally fucken hate them and find them cringe worthy, so for this reason I far prefer hip hop lyrics from the 90's era, and even moreso the 80's and earlier. However, several of the most impressive individual lyrical performances have come from post 2000 albums. They're just gems amongst a plethora of forgettable shit.

White_Mouse
04-23-2009, 12:16 PM
to me I think in the 90's lyricism was based more on a deeper and more exclusive understanding of slang language
for example today you get a line like

"you couldn't see my ass in a hospital gown"
(i think that's from a Cage tape)

haha very funny, the imagery evoked is obvious and is kind of clever
back in the 90's you get lines like

"Cut across the semi-gloss rhymes you floss"
-GZA (back when he was more interesting to people)

its not an obvious joke, or simile (that Chino XL insists on calling a "metaphor")
it makes you think same with Raekwon

"Black Stallions Wilin on Shailon"

MC's of the 90's tried to say as much as possible with as little words as possible instead of spelling shit out to make a joke