PDA

View Full Version : this forum lacks shock threads. let's start one - Rae vs. Jay-Z

DR. NICK RIVIERA
04-25-2009, 03:00 PM
First let me quote Jay two times, one to show how Rae copied the non-mustache rapper on 8 Diagrams with the trace line [debatable], and the second one is him saying he dumbed down for more money [I'm pretty sure Nas said that for himself too, but fans on both sides disagree, well here you are, at least I have proof Jay said it in a song.]

Rae never really dumbed it down, unless on the unnecessary Lex Diamond Story album, but still he steals Jay-Z' lyrics! Ironic! And he was speaking about mustaches and everything. I guess every rapper is a Jay-Z fan in one way or another.

These fucks, too lazy to make up shit, they crazy
They don't, paint pictures, they just, trace me
-jay

I dumbed down for my audience and double my dollars
-jay

Jay-Z >>>> Raekwon >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Nas Baby Momma>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Jungle>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Seth Rogen rapping over Gravediggaz tracks>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>NAS

cap
04-25-2009, 03:54 PM
never was huge on rae, so jay easily for me.

Afficial_Nastee
04-25-2009, 04:29 PM
LOL without Raekwon, Jay-Z wouldn't even had a so called "classic" in '96 (RD) cuz OB4CL is the blueprint of any maffioso rap cd....

main_man
04-25-2009, 05:01 PM
jiggas catalog as a whole is better than raekwons solo catalog.

but cuban linx shits all over jiggas best album by far.

sdeblasi
04-25-2009, 05:24 PM
ill admit Jay is probably the "better" rapper, but i like Rae's style a lot more personally. i dont listen to Jay nearly as much as i do Rae.

So for me i like Rae better, his voice, slang, etc...but overall Jay has the better catalog

DR. NICK RIVIERA
04-25-2009, 06:13 PM
LOL without Raekwon, Jay-Z wouldn't even had a so called "classic" in '96 (RD) cuz OB4CL is the blueprint of any maffioso rap cd....

you do know about all those Jay songs [all of them with Sauce Money] that he recorded from '93-'95...and was mafioso typed. Honest to god, Rae was only the first to make it popular, but it could've been the other way around.

Even Nas, who made tracks like Deja Vu [he made Deja Vu before he was recording the first Deja Vu verse on OB4CL] could've been first.

But we can't change history.

One thing is sure. Without Kool G Rap, none of them would be known as innovators and originators nowadays for the mafioso theme in hiphop.

claaa7
04-26-2009, 07:10 AM
^^ this is true, but especially Kool G Rap made the mafioso theme popular in early '95 with "4,5,6" and didn't AZ drop "Doe or Die" in '95 so there was alot of Mafioso music coming at the same time here. I would say "OB4CL" and "4,5,6" is the real originators though.

On topic though: Raekwon is a great rapper, together with Ghost easily the best out of the Wu-Tang. Jay-Z in his early career was better lyrically, flowwise and delivery i think, but just slightly... "Reasonable Doubt" and "Vol 1: In My Lifetime" has the edge over Rae on OB4CL but not really by extremely much.
On "Immobilarity" however, Raekwon was one of the 5 best lyricists in the world imo - together with Nas, Biggie, Jay-Z (between 96-03) and Rakim. "Immobilarity" is better lyrically than "Vol. 2" and "Vol.3", slightly, but then you got the "Lex Diamond Story" that was a far cry from Immobilarity except for a handfull of cuts.

So lyrically:
Reasonable Doubt + In My Lifetime >>> OB4CL
Immobilarity >> Vol.2, Vol.3, The Dynasty
The Blueprint + Blueprint 2 + Black Album >> Lex Diamond Story

Finesse Da God
04-26-2009, 08:14 AM
Kool G Rap says hello

The Hound
04-26-2009, 08:28 AM
jiggas catalog as a whole is better than raekwons solo catalog.

but cuban linx shits all over jiggas best album by far.

It's also more than twice as big. Jay-Z would struggle song for song against Rae's ENTIRE catalogue (Wu albums included.)