PDA

View Full Version : I've been sleeping on post Blueprint Jay-Z maybe too much...

DR. NICK RIVIERA
04-27-2009, 04:51 AM
..as far as a few tracks here and there, I never paid attention to the four albums Blueprint 2, Black Album, Kingdom Come & American Gangsta.

Seriously, he's ripping it in almost every track, still flowing viciously [ok, most of his last album he's more easy, but still, listen to Roc Boys]

Jay really shits on most mainstream cats lyrically [let's say Clipse are an exception], let me show you a few examples. It's not just metaphors, it's his ego that makes him something more...

Rock stars,
Look,
Way before the bars my picture was getting took
Feds, they like wack rappers.
Try as they may they couldn't get me on the hook

Thanks to the lames niggas with bad aim
Thanks to a little change I'll tear you out the game
Bullet wounds'll stop your buffoonery
Thanks to the pastor rapping at your eulogy

LOL

The commander-in-chief just flew by
Did he stop? No, he had a couple seats
Just proved jet blue he's not
Jet flew by the spot
What if he ran out of jet fuel and just dropped
hu,That woulda been something to watch
Helicopters doing fly-bys to take a couple of shots
Couple of portraits then ignored 'em

Your girlfriend's pregnant, the lord's gift
Almost lost my faith, that restored it
It's like having your life restarted
Can't wait for your child's life, to be a part of it
So now I'm child-like, waiting for a gift
To return, when I lost you, I lost it

and so on, you know...we can't say Jay really ever lost skillz or anything, he still makes hot songs

KLIION JENSEN
04-27-2009, 05:14 AM
i've always said Jay Z as sick lyrically & flow wise, he just picks some really shit beats alot of the time......the remix albums that keep dropping ar more often than not, better than the actual release....

DR. NICK RIVIERA
04-27-2009, 06:54 AM
maybe true, but I think Black Album had nice beats, just some songs were not on the same level as, ionno, Lucifer, which is just maybe the lyrical highlight of that album.

cap
04-27-2009, 08:15 AM
blueprint 2, the black album & american gangster are great albums!!
jay aint lost shit!

TAURO
04-27-2009, 08:59 AM
I still need to get the black album, after owning the grey album for a while now it actually helped renew my interest in Jay Z but I just never got round to picking it up.

I own Blueprint but it's been a long time since i've listened to it so maybe I should go back and give it a few spins.

KLIION JENSEN
04-27-2009, 09:10 AM
Lucifer, which is just maybe the lyrical highlight of that album.

beatwise too, i just think he should stop fucking with Pharrell, Kanye & Timbo

blueprint 2, the black album & american gangster are great albums!!
jay aint lost shit!

lyrically i totally agree, but for beats, Blueprint 2 is probably the best one there, dont get mewrong, the rest of em had some good beats, but nothing really special...

i'v said it before & i'll say it again, Jay needs to work with RZA, 4th Disciple, True Master, Bronze Nazareth etc fuck the sales, its not like he's broke or anything, get some of that underground love......

TAURO
04-27-2009, 09:15 AM
I don't know about working with wu elements but I think Jay Z should make a more underground album, it could be like a side project or something. He could gear it towards the more true hip hop heads by giving more of that classic feel.

KLIION JENSEN
04-27-2009, 10:31 AM
^ thats what i'm sayin, he could still do the Kanye/Pharrell/Timbaland/Dre album aswell....the reason i say Wu Elements to produce is well, they're the hardcore dirty grimey version of what he does already.......

The Hound
04-27-2009, 10:47 AM
I wasn't a fan of Kingdom Come but it was a nice listen when cruising during, that's for sure.

Black Album topped his post Blueprint catalogue, for me. Blueprint 2 should have been released as 2.1 from the start.

Ghost In The 'Lac
04-27-2009, 12:05 PM
i'v said it before & i'll say it again, Jay needs to work with RZA, 4th Disciple, True Master, Bronze Nazareth etc fuck the sales, its not like he's broke or anything, get some of that underground love......

LOL you a fucking moron of exemplary level and flamboyance.

You should be the patron phallus of Hip Hop Shop.

KLIION JENSEN
04-27-2009, 12:56 PM
^ & you molest children

snapple
04-27-2009, 04:49 PM
i think itd be cool to hear jay-z over some RZA/4th/wu-camp beats....itd be different....but could definitely work...

claaa7
04-27-2009, 06:13 PM
Jay-Z is incredible, one of the most important and greatest figures in hip-hop music and hustling.. I love Jigga's shit (no homo), i got all of his albums and seen him live and although he's using some shitty beats for most of his LP's, ALL OF THEM have their fair share of dope music on them. From "Reasonable Doubt" to "The Dynasty" where he was still rhyming like he was still in the streets and always getting a banger or two from DJ Premier plus ill cuts from 45 King, Timbaland, Buckwild, The Hitmen, Rockwilder and collabo's with the likes of Scarface, Too Short, The LOX and UGK.

His second era was when he became larger than hip-hop with "The Blueprint", a great album but not as sharp lyrically as previous albums (although a very, very good LP) [better than "Stillmatic" and yes - Takeover >> Ether). On "Blueprint 2" and "The Black Album" he stepped it up lyrically and all these 3 albums are dope (B2 could have been an incredible 1-disc).

He was a hustler right from the jump who knew how to rhyme, and even happened to be one of the best and he always knew what was hot at the moment so he made his music his hustle. that's something that should be embraced; "I sold 5 mill, I ain't rhymed like Common since" - i'd do the same.

claaa7
04-28-2009, 01:26 AM
say word.. Jay-Z, Big Pun, Raekwon, Ghostface, Lord Finesse, Notorious B.I.G., Nasty Nas, Black Thought, Big L, OC, Andre 3K - those are fucking great lyricists!